ADVERTISEMENT

New Offer - Hason Ward: 2019

Why are we the only high major offering? Legit question.
I’m wondering too but I trust coach. This is not like souf or that other player who was on the same team as naz Reid. This kid shows hops length, speed. He’s got ability and I know coach is gonna stick with his formula of developing players well. This kid has athleticism. Is part of the reason because he reclassified from 2020 to 2019?

Reactions: RUDave_01
This is the type of player that you get have a dilemma ...is the 5-7 minutes you get from him in year worth it...versus the minutes he would get as a 5th year guy .

And he could be young ...if he is moving from 2020 to 2019

He has explosion and hands you can’t teach

Staying at the same school for all 5 years is the exception now with the grad transfer rules, play him if he can help the team as a true freshman. Always have the chance to redshirt him later, if an injury happens at any point in his career.

I’m wondering too but I trust coach. This is not like souf or that other player who was on the same team as naz Reid. This kid shows hops length, speed. He’s got ability and I know coach is gonna stick with his formula of developing players well. This kid has athleticism. Is part of the reason because he reclassified from 2020 to 2019?
Not sure...I trust Coach too but of course, Souf and Kiss (to a lesser degree) have been misses. Unless someone presents me with a good reason this kid has not been recruited by high majors, I would rather;
1. Spend it on a defense first grad transfer big man or;
2. Save the schollie for next year.

The way to beat the Grad Transfer loss to to not have good players take enough credits to graduate in 4 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I trust Coach. I also agree if he came to play him immediately as hardly any player stays at the same school for 5 years anymore with grad transfers. If we bring in another grad transfer we will need 4 new big guys next season to replace Eugene, Carter, Yeboah and a new guy. That might become a problem. We need a little bit of stability.

Not sure...I trust Coach too but of course, Souf and Kiss (to a lesser degree) have been misses. Unless someone presents me with a good reason this kid has not been recruited by high majors, I would rather;

I would see this kid as a Myles Johnson type recruit. A big man who has potential that Coach and the staff thing they can develop. I think if you don't find a big this year you will need two Big Ten ready bigs to commit next year. The old saying "a bird in the hand..." comes to mind.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He is different than any front court player we have. Just like Jacob Young is different than any back court player we have. Different players allow us to play different styles, great to have options.
Kid is 6’9” and long and probably young, has unimpressive offer list, “can run and jump” but no mention of basketball skills.=redshirt.

Reactions: toby83
Kiss was the 5th leading scorer on the team last year, genius.

Reactions: Igniteshield
Kiss was the 5th leading scorer on the team last year, genius.

Lol...okay
His minutes diminished significantly last year as the season went on. Read the writing on the wall. His minutes will be very marginal next year. He’s not a regular rotation player on a decent power 5 team

I’ll bet you a pretzel. #notready

I like pretzels LOL

Let's keep the thread upbeat and positive or watch the limited tape....ask yourself what recent recruit that is a big, moves his feet or runs and jumps at that level of athleticism??

Indiana has a couple of players like him, Illinois has one, Ohio State has one....Iowa has one...Minnesota etc.

I'm not proclaiming him as a starter but the biggest weakness of the roster is how do we lower the shooting percentages of our opponents. You only do that by having a variety of ways to alter or be a threat to block shots at or near the rim.

Yeboah can rebound and defend and I'm fairly confident that adding weight only slows this kid down. He needs strength but not at the expense of asking him to be a banger like Shaq Carter or Doorson or Myles Johnson.

Why are we the only high major offering? Legit question.

I don't see how this matters but hypothetically the system of ratings is ultimately too limited

There are grad or regular ransfers leaving High Point, Drexel. Lehigh, Howard, Stony Brook, Canisius, William and Mary, Fordham. St Joe's headed to Power 5 or Top 10 national programs.

I don't see how this matters but hypothetically the system of ratings is ultimately too limited

There are grad or regular ransfers leaving High Point, Drexel. Lehigh, Howard, Stony Brook, Canisius, William and Mary, Fordham. St Joe's headed to Power 5 or Top 10 national programs.
AFTER they have developed.

AFTER they have developed.
Let him develop here. Pike is great at it. Look at Eugene. And since this team now has depth and scorers, this kid can come in, contribute in ways that we need him...especially his length on defense and having a rim protector. And he doesn’t have to worry about doing too much in the next few seasons. Imagine him running the break with mulcahy!!

People advocating a redshirt have not been paying attention to the current grad transfer landscape. Contributors on good P5 teams hit the grad market now.

Unless the player is injured or has 2 left feet you play them where they can help as true freshman even if it's a few minutes a game.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This kid is going to a ger a lot of offers quick

He is a coordinated big guy ...has hands and feet and has an outside shot...and is 6’9” with explosion

For what I’ve seen...he is a take

I don't understand the fear of grad transfers. They typically leave for Mid Major to High Major or if they are not.good enough to see more playing time in a HM program to go to a spot to get more playing time.

Some others want that last chance to get to the Tourney. Like the guy who went from Wake Forest to OSU last year or even Nigel Johnson.who went from Rutgers to Virginia.

So if Rutgers has a 5th year senior not good enough to get playing time...who cares if they leave.

Make the tournament and players won't want to leave.

Want this guy z. He has a skill set that can help right away in blocking shots and other then Myles we don’t have a shot blocker Z. He doesn’t need to do anything next year on offense except set screens and go to the glass .

I remember years ago Schiano got this under the radar tackle from Florida named Figueroa. He had no major offers. I ridiculed the scholarship offer. Then he got a Miami offer and took it over Schiano’s offer and wound up starting a bunch of seasons for the canes.

I see something like that here. I hope pike can close the deal here with this kid. There is nobody on the team like him

I don't understand the fear of grad transfers. They typically leave for Mid Major to High Major or if they are not.good enough to see more playing time in a HM program to go to a spot to get more playing time.

Some others want that last chance to get to the Tourney. Like the guy who went from Wake Forest to OSU last year or even Nigel Johnson.who went from Rutgers to Virginia.

So if Rutgers has a 5th year senior not good enough to get playing time...who cares if they leave.

Make the tournament and players won't want to leave.

Not the case anymore. Its NCAA free agency. Please take a look at this list.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Not the case anymore. Its NCAA free agency. Please take a look at this list.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Guys generally don't grad transfer from bubble-or-better quality teams without a good reason. From that list the Virginia Tech guys and the Texas A&M guy had coaching changes. There was a weird mass exodus from West Virginia after a very down year (not bubble quality). Utah guy is probably looking to make the tournament. Etc etc. If we're in the mix for a tournament spot and a player is getting regular minutes he's unlikely to grad transfer.

If we don’t have minutes for him we can always red shirt Ron Harper Jr.

Pike missed the opportunity last year. He can make up for the glaring mistake in 2019-2020.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: PaKnight
I think it has a lot to do with reclassifying. He moved to 19 and he wasn’t on a lot of P5 radar screens.

Isn’t their talks or whispers about the grad transfer rule being shut down or changed in the future?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT