ADVERTISEMENT

New Transfer possibility

i still think we are going to miss Shaq Doorson type to spell Myles. 7'0 banger coming off the bench especially if Myles gets (2) quick fouls. Shaq Carter will need to back up Yeboah as well as Myles. We will need some good minutes from Doucoure at the 5... I just hope he's up to the challenge. I feel like we may have a void and need some depth here .

i still think we are going to miss Shaq Doorson type to spell Myles. 7'0 banger coming off the bench especially if Myles gets (2) quick fouls. Shaq Carter will need to back up Yeboah as well as Myles. We will need some good minutes from Doucoure at the 5... I just hope he's up to the challenge. I feel like we may have a void and need some depth here .

Been saying this for months. Johnson, Carter, and Doucoure are very foul-prone. If we play two of them at the same time for any length, we are almost guaranteeing someone will be In foul trouble. Also, even a short term injury to any of them can really jeopardize a potential good season.

Been saying this for months. Johnson, Carter, and Doucoure are very foul-prone. If we play two of them at the same time for any length, we are almost guaranteeing someone will be In foul trouble. Also, even a short term injury to any of them can really jeopardize a potential good season.
Spot on concern.Quality depth at power forward and center will be tested throughout the season.Some unique lineups probably will be used depending on the opponent.

I don’t understand why this board is so down on Doucoure. He’s been in the program for two years now. He was thrown into the fire as a very young freshman two years ago and he spent last year injured. Our staff has shown they are adept at developing big men. There’s no reason not to expect at least a small improvement from him.

I don’t understand why this board is so down on Doucoure. He’s been in the program for two years now. He was thrown into the fire as a very young freshman two years ago and he spent last year injured. Our staff has shown they are adept at developing big men. There’s no reason not to expect at least a small improvement from him.
I’m very concerned about his ability to contribute and I’d love to be wrong. The problems he’s had are all big concerns:

1. Gets into foul trouble quickly
2. Takes too many outside shots when he should be using the glass and posting
3. He doesn’t hit free throws when he gets to the line.

I’m not sure about his injury last season but I hope he can help this team? Nobody is rooting for him to fail but we just haven’t seen it yet?

I’m very concerned about his ability to contribute and I’d love to be wrong. The problems he’s had are all big concerns:

I’m not sure about his injury last season but I hope he can help this team? Nobody is rooting for him to fail but we just haven’t seen it yet?
IIRC it was a back injury very early in the season.

He actually hit about 61% on his FTs in the season before last and got to the line, on a per minute basis, about the same as MJ. His stroke actually looked really good and I would expect to see 70% this year. In that one area I would give him the edge on MJ.

I think he will be way better than his first year on the fouls -- that is the typical progression for a big.

I also expect a decent mid-range game to develop for him -- once again the stroke looks good. I like to see our posts drag the opposing posts away from the basket.

He is also athletic. I expect him to be a respectable back-up to MJ

I don't care how good his stroke looked, 33% on two-point attempts from a big man is basically unplayable. It needs to improve a lot for him to see the floor.

For comparison, Doorson was 62%, Carter 57%, and Johnson 55% this past season.

Reactions: bac2therac
I don't care how good his stroke looked, 33% on two-point attempts from a big man is basically unplayable. It needs to improve a lot for him to see the floor.

I recall him taking shots that I’d prefer other guys take. We have plenty of other shooters. If he can do what Doorsan did and hit the glass and pick up scraps, that would be a good role imo.

Doucoure (frosh): 13.1mpg/2.8ppg/3.2rpg/36.2 FG%
Johnson (RS frosh): 17.6mpg/ 4.8ppg/5.7rpg/55.5 FG%

I expect Doucoure can give us what Myles did last season (if he does it while shooting 55% we will be terrific at center). And Myles will improve for sure. I really think Myles/Doucoure (19-20)>>>Doorson/Myles (18-19). And i write that thinking myself that Shaq was pretty good last season.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Freshmen often struggle shooting, but he does have a nice shooting stroke.

Not sure about injury? He redshirted because of a back injury. It was common knowledge.

Agree 100%. We are thin and not very formidable at the bigs.

If you had to pick and not have depth with bigs and not have depth with guards and wings the choice is simple.

Over the past X amount of years we have had to deal with the latter.

If we are truly playing 4 smalls and 1 big our depth is fine.

Reactions: kcg88
Too early to give up on Doucore. Big year opportunity wise for him and I hope he shows considerable development after the year off. I never got the sense his injury was that serious and believe he practiced a good portion of the season last year. His play will define his role and we just need him to be serviceable on both ends for 10-15 minutes a game.

Agree 100%. We are thin and not very formidable at the bigs.

There were significantly more questions about Shaq Doorson last August than there were about anyone else in the frontcourt....he had his 1st offseason without rehab and was finally able to get into game shape.

We lose a big and gain one in Doucoure, plus get a significantly better player, who was also an unknown last August in Myles Johnson and a much better conditioned and in shape Shaq Carter. I don't see how we are somehow without depth at the 4 or 5.

The back injury was a reset button for Doucoure, who would have wasted a season of competition and eligibility by being active and available last year. He has a full 3 seasons left, along with Myles Johnson.

I don't see anything substantial in having Johnson, Doucoure and Carter occupying 40 to 50 minutes at the 5 or sometimes the 4. And if Doucoure doesn't beat out Shaq Carter and Carter and Johnson are rotating 10 fouls a game, how many more bigs do we need on top of Doucoure??

Teams are not blindly filling their 11th, 12th and 13th spots anymore, they're choosing to be very selective about bringing in a piece, that may not be a rotational player each night. If that player is there for depth purposes and can't beat out Myles Johnson or Shaq Carter today, but may be slightly better than last year's version of Doucoure, then what exactly do we accomplish by having another big on the roster this season??

If an injury happens at any position, it's going to impact the rotation anyway, but if you bring in the player, the old days of running a player off your roster, is long gone. Some schools are carrying 2 and 3 players that cannot help their team on gamedays and clog up valuable space.

If a player hits the market and can plug in for Carter in 2020, that's where the focus should be. We carried Doorson, Myles and Carter last year, I don't see why 3 bigs this year is suddenly not enough depth at the 5.

There is a 30 second shot clock, it isnt simple taking advantage of a mismatch down low. I'd rather have Ron Harper guard a center or mix in zones (that we would get killed on the glass with) and have a matchup in our favor on the offensive end VS have a guy who is slow and will foul and be invisible offensively.

In shape 6'7'' wings can front and be active on the defensive end and cause turnovers and disrupt a ryhtmn of a half court offense with a team trying to force in to a mismatch.

How often do you see a team trying to get a 4th or 5th foul on an opponents player and it just doesnt work out and it ends up hurting them in the end. Teams are often times better off acting as if the mismatch isnt there.

The 2 things that drive me crazy listening to fans while watching games.
1. Yelling why doesnt a D back just turn his head and he would have an interception. Try sprinting at full speed with your head turned the other way.
2. Fans in disbelief why we can't get the 4th or 5th foul on a player that is in foul trouble

Out of 80 "big" minutes, you're going to have:

At the 4/PF spot: 20-25 for Yeboah, and 5-10 for Harper. That's 25-35 at the "PF" spot. The rest of the "PF" minutes will be filled by Carter.

At the 5/C spot: 25 for Myles, and the other 15 will be a combination of Carter and Doucoure.

Unless we have injuries, I really don't see much issue here.

Do you think he would be taking those jumpers if Pike didn't want him to? I bet he hits them in practice with some decent consistency.

Do you think he would be taking those jumpers if Pike didn't want him to? I bet he hits them in practice with some decent consistency.
Most bigs say "I hit those shots in practice," as their rationale for taking jump shots during games. They usually remember the four shots they made and not the 11 that they missed during practice.

I have no idea on both? What I do know is that there are better shooters on the court for both mid range and longer jump shots. I think everyone wants to score but practice is not what matters. It’s the pressure in the moment of the game and each possession is like a piece of gold. I’m just stating what I’ve observed in his time here so far. Can he get better? Maybe?

I think he’s felt overmatched in the post so he somehow finds himself pulling up for jumpers that he’s not hitting. I would personally let anyone else on the floor shoot before him and that includes Johnson. You have to find a role on this team just like Doorsan did last year. Use the glass and find a way.

There is a 30 second shot clock, it isnt simple taking advantage of a mismatch down low. I'd rather have Ron Harper guard a center or mix in zones (that we would get killed on the glass with) and have a matchup in our favor on the offensive end VS have a guy who is slow and will foul and be invisible offensively.

In shape 6'7'' wings can front and be active on the defensive end and cause turnovers and disrupt a ryhtmn of a half court offense with a team trying to force in to a mismatch.

How often do you see a team trying to get a 4th or 5th foul on an opponents player and it just doesnt work out and it ends up hurting them in the end. Teams are often times better off acting as if the mismatch isnt there.

1. Yelling why doesnt a D back just turn his head and he would have an interception. Try sprinting at full speed with your head turned the other way.
2. Fans in disbelief why we can't get the 4th or 5th foul on a player that is in foul trouble

Excellent post!

Respectfully disagree. I think if you put Harper Jr. matched up with Xavier Tilman (Mich State), Jaden Smith (MD), Bezhaniashvili (ill)--for example, then we will find Harper on the bench with fouls pretty quickly. Any HC worth his salt will try to use matchups like that to get one of our better players saddled with foul trouble.

Harper in spots at the "4"? Sure. Steady diet of it? Not sure I like that idea. Just my $0.02.

Agree with you about the foul trouble issue. I’ve seen teams overcompensate and change their offense to something they were not comfortable with to try to get another foul on a player. It often does backfire.

My concern about Duke is his length.

Not a stretch power forward because he doesn’t have the handle to put in on the deck...and not the desired length to be s five

The later though will be his way to contribute at Rutgers. Did he learn in the off season to play with his back to the basket on offense ...and match up on interior defense

There are some 4's Harper may struggle against but I think he can handle the vast majority. If it's a big physical 4 though then he has to guard Ron on the other end too

Respectfully disagree. I think if you put Harper Jr. matched up with Xavier Tilman (Mich State), Jaden Smith (MD), Bezhaniashvili (ill)--for example, then we will find Harper on the bench with fouls pretty quickly. Any HC worth his salt will try to use matchups like that to get one of our better players saddled with foul trouble.

Harper in spots at the "4"? Sure. Steady diet of it? Not sure I like that idea. Just my $0.02.

Let’s hope with added muscle and improved conditioning Harper V2.0 is more equipped than V1.0.

I respectfully agree with your premise. If the answer is sprinkle in some zone I really worry about the defensive glass.

Totally agree. I think we needed another big guy under any circumstances. I was very disappointed that the coaches could not snag a 5 or 4/5 banger via the grad transfer route.Myles fouls a lot and will need to be spelled anyway. With Omoruyi gone, our frontcourt is very thin and clearly not the team's strength.. We cannot rely 100% on small-ball.

Totally agree. I think we needed another big guy under any circumstances. I was very disappointed that the coaches could not snag a 5 or 4/5 banger via the grad transfer route.Myles fouls a lot and will need to be spelled anyway. With Omoruyi gone, our frontcourt is very thin and clearly not the team's strength.. We cannot rely 100% on small-ball.

There is a supply demand imbalance of 5s. CJ Gettys was an anamoly. Schools like 2019 Rutgers just about can’t land grad transfers 5s that are any good.

Asking to land a undersized 2 guard that is a different story. Supply/demand has balance there. Obviously there is no need there for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT