ADVERTISEMENT

New transfer rules ?

RedTeam1994

All Conference
Jan 15, 2021
In the various threads about the roster I’ve seen mention of new transfer rules

Can someone summarize them?

I am particularly interested if these changes would PREVENT last minute departures like cam and paul from happening again? Some comments seem to suggest they might …. but is that true?

For example let’s say pike gets a commitment from Cliff or mag that he’ll return is there a deadline (presumably much earlier than last year) where they can’t subsequently bail like cam and paul ?

The transfer portal opens March 18 and closes approx May 1 (45 days instead of what used to be 60 days). That doesn't mean you can't transfer after May 1, just that you need to be in the portal by May 1.

For grad transfers, no one seems to have a clear answer. From what I have read, they will need to enter the portal by May 1 as well, but what I'm not clear on is whether that is effective this go around or next year.

Per Richie the grad transfer rules haven't changed. So based on that, grad transfers could enter portal whenever they want (like Paul and Cam last year).

Who cares? Anyone unhappy with the rules will just sue the NCAA and win.

Team X will strike out with their targets and then backchannel to Player Y after the deadline and the team will get their state AG to file a suit to allow anyone to transfer.

For grad transfers, no one seems to have a clear answer. From what I have read, they will need to enter the portal by May 1 as well, but what I'm not clear on is whether that is effective this go around or next year.
Grad transfers need to be in the portal by May 1 also. Rule changed in October: "The Legislative Committee noted that notification-of-transfer deadlines of May 1 for fall and winter sports and July 1 for spring sports apply to graduate transfers transferring for the first time, and that beginning in 2024-25, graduate students seeking waivers for postgraduate eligibility will need to comply with those same deadlines." <https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4...s-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows>

Reactions: RUshore99
Fair assessment @kcg88

Still curious…Anyone know what the rules are supposed to be regarding. Once you commit to new program.

Let’s say Player Y enters transfer portal during window and commits to program X on May 2 after the portal closes. We know this is fine and don’t need any lawsuits for this scenario.

On June 1st Player Y decommits from Program X. Are they automatically back in the portal? Are they allowed to commit to Program Z without a lawsuit?

Grad transfers need to be in the portal by May 1 also. Rule changed in October: "The Legislative Committee noted that notification-of-transfer deadlines of May 1 for fall and winter sports and July 1 for spring sports apply to graduate transfers transferring for the first time, and that beginning in 2024-25, graduate students seeking waivers for postgraduate eligibility will need to comply with those same deadlines." <https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4...s-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows>
That's what I read too. But what's the "transferring for the first time" part? And isn't 2024-2025 next season? Or does it count for this go around? And this is about being eligible, not the portal? It's confusing.

@Richard Schnyderite said he was told (presumably by someone within the program?) that nothing was changing with respect to grad transfers, sooo...

...what's the "transferring for the first time" part? And isn't 2024-2025 next season? Or does it count for this go around?
1) "For the first time"--means this is the first time grads can't chose to leave whenever they want, but must stick to the portal dates. Does not refer to whether it's the player's first time transferring. 2) Yep, next season. So the May 1 deadline applies to grads now if they want to be eligible for next year (barring a lawsuit that changes things yet again).

Reactions: RUshore99
The grad transfer late summer loophole has been closed. This was reported on by Fonseca around B1G media day. Grad transfers now have to use the same window as other transfers to declare. I will link the D1 ruling and guidance to this reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT