ADVERTISEMENT

Next year is Pikiell’s prove it year.

RUFogey

Senior
Apr 8, 2015
This team has hit a wall. There is no offensive system four years in. Recruiting is poor, players are regressing and the lack of shooting is embarrassing for a P5 program.

Teams like Rutgers that are poor shooters really have no margin for error.This was a bad loss because Rutgers now has to upset a team to get back to where they want to be which is a winning season.

I mentioned the offensive system last year and not being impressed. Hobbs runs in the offense was my understanding. Maybe Pike needs to switch that up

We don’t have a star on this team. Just a bunch of average role players. Hard to win consistently like that. Need a star.

Reactions: Goku
This team has hit a wall. There is no offensive system four years in. Recruiting is poor, players are regressing and the lack of shooting is embarrassing for a P5 program.

But I thought this was the year it was turning around with Mulcahey coming on board and Pike as the leader. I have been hearing about how great Pike was since I graduated 3 years ago, but I don’t see it. This year was supposed to be the breakout year and hope this was just an anomaly.

Reactions: OJRutgers
Unfortunately this was not an anomaly. This team has not looked good this year except for game 2. We do not play good defense and don't shoot the 3 well.
I was so excited for the season to start, now it seems like another year of same old Rutgers.
Maybe the defense will improve, but the kids aren't going to become good shooters out of nowhere.
I love Pike, but is am not sure he is recruiting or can recruit the shooters that everyone else seems to have.

Let’s be real. This team is not an NCAA team. Many were predicting this was possible prior to the season but there are too many holes especially defensively, front court depth etc.

The losses of Eugene and Jay Young are enormous. Jay Young ran the teams practices and his tactical and strategical insight is a huge loss

Realistic goal now and prior to the season is NIT but we are a long ways from that expectation at this point.

It’s always next year. Disagree..it’s this year. If we aren’t over .500, it’s a serious red flag. We aren’t exactly lighting it up on the recruiting trail.

I can see anything from 13-18 to 18-13 this year, I think this performance thus far has knocked out those 20 win plus predictions and put the sub 500 predictions as possibilites now. I still say we get over 500 when all is said and done

I can see anything from 13-18 to 18-13 this year, I think this performance thus far has knocked out those 20 win plus predictions and put the sub 500 predictions as possibilites now. I still say we get over 500 when all is said and done

the scary part is that people including me thought we had about 7-8 “lock” victories when we actually have 0....well Caldwell College, if anyone wants to count that.

next season we need to add a big man or two in the worst way. Losing Carter and Yeboah won’t help.

I agree....over .500 would be good prior to the B1G tourney.

. . .

The losses of Eugene and Jay Young are enormous. Jay Young ran the teams practices and his tactical and strategical insight is a huge . . . .

The loss of Omo was an obvious significant loss.

If the departure of an assistant coach, however, is truly an enormous loss to the defense, that raises a big concern about Pike. His calling card was the great defense that his teams played. That’s his identity. If that wasn’t due to him, but instead because of an assistant, exactly what is Pike good at?

We don’t have a star on this team. Just a bunch of average role players. Hard to win consistently like that. Need a star.

I really thought Harper would step up big time this year. It's only been four games but that is looking doubtful so far.

It's too early to say we "hit a wall." Our shooting isn't consistent. Period. When they're on, which means we are streaky, we can beat a majority of teams on our schedule including some of the ranked teams at the RAC. But when we're off like we were last night, we can stink up the joint.

My concern is that our sophomores who were touted as gelling together over the summer and when they played in Spain together, has not proved out. In fact to my eye, they have regressed. With that said, what is Pike NOT doing to develop these kids. So far the last 4 games have proven we are not even close to the initial hype they received prior to the season starting.

It's too early to say we "hit a wall." Our shooting isn't consistent. Period. When they're on, which means we are streaky, we can beat a majority of teams on our schedule including some of the ranked teams at the RAC. But when we're off like we were last night, we can stink up the joint.

My concern is that our sophomores who were touted as gelling together over the summer and when they played in Spain together, has not proved out. In fact to my eye, they have regressed. With that said, what is Pike NOT doing to develop these kids. So far the last 4 games have proven we are not even close to the initial hype they received prior to the season starting.
Your last paragraph proved my point. The sophomores have looked far worse then they did at the end of last season. Young has underwhelmed. Yeboah, Carter and Mulcahy have been okay but not living up to the preseason hype. To me that’s a wall as no one on the team has taken a step forward from last season.

If the team can't get to ten wins this year, is Pike on the hot seat?

Your last paragraph proved my point. The sophomores have looked far worse then they did at the end of last season. Young has underwhelmed. Yeboah, Carter and Mulcahy have been okay but not living up to the preseason hype. To me that’s a wall as no one on the team has taken a step forward from last season.
Yes, my second paragraph was written to agree with you. But my first paragraph, counters your belief that we have hit a wall. It's too early for that. But yes, my deep concern is contained in my second paragraph.

Board is laughable. 3-1, haven’t looked great, haven’t played a B10 game yet, but people talking about a “hot seat.” Apparently a lot of folks have convenient amnesia on what an incredible crap hole RU basketball was. I’ll ride with Pikes.

Reactions: goru7
Most successful teams have multiple stars who are consistent scorers regardless of the level of competition.

Board is laughable. 3-1, haven’t looked great, haven’t played a B10 game yet, but people talking about a “hot seat.” Apparently a lot of folks have convenient amnesia on what an incredible crap hole RU basketball was. I’ll ride with Pikes.

I don't think he should be on the hot seat necessarily but Pikiell doesn't credit anymore for simply not being Eddie Jordan. In my opinion he has the program back to where Mike Rice and Gary Waters had it. If that's the ceiling for Rutgers basketball then so be it but I'd like to believe it's higher.

In Sanders 3 seasons we won 3,1, and 3 B1G games Things would have to go real south, but not impossible. Leaving our defense aside....our half court offense at times has looked shockingly bad. I think we will see improvement. I see lineup changes and combinations different very soon. As soon as next game.

You think there's a chance Rutgers won't get 10 wins?

In Pikiell's 3 years here they've won 15, 15 and 14 and the year he won 14 was overall considered his best year.

You think there's a chance Rutgers won't get 10 wins?

In Pikiell's 3 years here they've won 15, 15 and 14 and the year he won 14 was overall considered his best year.

5%?

The 15 and 15 practically becomes 13 with 20 B1G games. I want to try and avoid going there..........how many wins do we have last year without a certain person?

As I said before the season I quite frankly had not a good feel how good our players are. My thought last year is we had one win because of piece and a lot of win with pieces. I was hoping some of our players broke out with enhanced roles.

It is still super early and I have not even come close to losing hope.

the scary part is that people including me thought we had about 7-8 “lock” victories when we actually have 0....well Caldwell College, if anyone wants to count that.

Team still stinks was my prediction and I think most people’s

Let’s pin this

I don't think he should be on the hot seat necessarily but Pikiell doesn't credit anymore for simply not being Eddie Jordan. In my opinion he has the program back to where Mike Rice and Gary Waters had it. If that's the ceiling for Rutgers basketball then so be it but I'd like to believe it's higher.
Really??? Like the Waters team that went to the finals of the NIT?

We thought we would be better than the 12th place finish predicted. Through the first four games, the reality may be 12th place and no post season. I am feeling discouraged at this point and to get behind 34-15 to the Bonnie's was shocking. Pike agreed D was terrible. In fairness to Reiber/Palmquist who may turn out to be solid players, the new facility was touted as "game changer" and drawing major top level recruits who could become stars in the BIG. The time for excuses is over... the time to step up is NOW!!! With the soft OOC schedule, NIT was a goal that could be accomplished. Unfortunately, 12th place is likely .... I can only hope I'm proven wrong.

If it's 13-18 he should be fired

n fairness to Reiber/Palmquist who may turn out to be solid players, the new facility was touted as "game changer" and drawing major top level recruits who could become stars in the BIG. The time for excuses is over... the time to step up is NOW!!! .
My problem it has been, just not for Men's basketball. For wrestling #5 ranked class(yes Ashnault/Suriano helped) and Women's basketball just got the 6th ranked player.

We thought we would be better than the 12th place finish predicted. Through the first four games, the reality may be 12th place and no post season. I am feeling discouraged at this point and to get behind 34-15 to the Bonnie's was shocking. Pike agreed D was terrible. In fairness to Reiber/Palmquist who may turn out to be solid players, the new facility was touted as "game changer" and drawing major top level recruits who could become stars in the BIG. The time for excuses is over... the time to step up is NOW!!! With the soft OOC schedule, NIT was a goal that could be accomplished. Unfortunately, 12th place is likely .... I can only hope I'm proven wrong.
The bandwagons jumpers are in the 50’s and climbing after 4 games. The twitter like “hot seat” reactions are comical and cannot wait to call out all those posters. We will definitely finish ahead of Northwestern , Nebraska, and Minnesota. We will be neck and neck with Iowa, Penn State , Indiana , and Illinois and Wisconsin . We will be very competitive in games against Michigan State, Michigan, Maryland, Purdue and Ohio State .
Now if you want to talk, why are we not defending the three point line better, and why are we not running a set motion offense and not getting the ball down low, those are failures through 4 games and worthy discussion material. Maybe they are a function of not getting the rotations figured out yet and trying to play too many guys for short spurts that has affected their rhythm . We have an excellent coach that will figure it out. Have a little faith , Springsteen once said.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT