ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Wrestling Lineup

Do you think he will be a starter next year ..haven’t seen your version of next years lineup yet...

I'm not going to give next year's lineup a lot of thought until after Nationals in March. Some big holes to fill though w Ashnault, JVB and Gravina moving on. Scott sure is exciting to watch. I'm not sure what his best weight is. I'd be a little surprised if Janzer could beat him, but if Grello could get down to 165 (doubtful), then a lot of other pieces fall into place. The incoming freshmen will probably all Redshirt I would think, except possibly Aragona at 141, although I don't see Coach G putting him in unless he clearly is better than the other guys at 141, and Coach G thinks he could qualify for NCAA's as freshman. Chances are he wouldn't even consider that until after the Open tournaments in late Dec.
Speaking of Aragona , did you see his Flo interview after the Princeton match? He was pumped up. Not sure where Firestone fits in weight wise either.
But still 4 duals , Big 10 Tourney and Nationals to look forward to.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Does Lightner not have a shot? From his quickness and looks like he has a mentality to put up points I feel it looks like a better option than Colucci.

Does Lightner not have a shot? From his quickness and looks like he has a mentality to put up points I feel it looks like a better option than Colucci.

Unless Lightner improves a lot this off-season, do not see him beating Colucci. Lightner's Redshirt year results were very underwhelming.

Lightner wants to go to 197. I think Zac goes to 141 next year with Suriano at 133. I doubt Grello goes to 165.

need to get a lot stronger in the gym this off-season.

Some guys have the build of high school wrestlers.

Lightner wants to go to 197. I think Zac goes to 141 next year with Suriano at 133. I doubt Grello goes to 165.
I concur ..Firestone will be in the mix at 141 ...MVB will go up to his natural weight at 149 and Glasgow more then likely 157 ..at 165-174-184 is anyone’s guess ...no guarantee at any of them barring upsets I guess...really depends on where Grello wants to go and if Willie Finds his spot ..seems like there’s depth for sure tho

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
I concur ..Firestone will be in the mix at 141 ...MVB will go up to his natural weight at 149 and Glasgow more then likely 157 ..at 165-174-184 is anyone’s guess ...no guarantee at any of them barring upsets I guess...really depends on where Grello wants to go and if Willie Finds his spot ..seems like there’s depth for sure tho
Could Scott get down to 165 or is that out of the question? Thinking he could be very very effective at that weight with his length and skills plus wouldn’t be as overmatched on strength but no idea if that’s possible.

Could Scott get down to 165 or is that out of the question? Thinking he could be very very effective at that weight with his length and skills plus wouldn’t be as overmatched on strength but no idea if that’s possible.
If he can my guess is he will ...as long as it’s not too much weight to suck down ..we all saw what it did to Dippery and MVB.

Bad experiment waiting to happen with Scott going down to 165.I do not see him been effective at the weight.If he could Scott would have made it this season.There is a reason why he is effective at 174 and doing well.

need to get a lot stronger in the gym this off-season.

Some guys have the build of high school wrestlers.

I had this discussion with my buddy at many of the matches this year. Some could use more muscle mass and/or toning..Not that's the be all, end all...but it can help.

I am really excited to see Turley next year in the Open tourneys.
He seems to have the "Attitude" to be really effective.
He has wrestled in almost every big tournament this year.
I "think" he said he wants to wrestle 174 in college.

How does Grello vs Scott go in the room?

I had this discussion with my buddy at many of the matches this year. Some could use more muscle mass and/or toning..Not that's the be all, end all...but it can help.
I would like everyone to look like that jacked up kid on Princeton who wrestled Correnti. He looked like a beast.

I would like everyone to look like that jacked up kid on Princeton who wrestled Correnti. He looked like a beast.

You need more than been jacked up to win.Look at all the champs they are not all super jacked up but I can definitely see how it would help.Having great strength and conditioning coach & program can help towards this cause.

The more jacked up you are, the shorter you are for the weight.
With the exception of Cassar (Heavyweight), how many PSU wrestlers have been that jacked up.

Brucki from Princeton is a TANK. I could not believe his build.

2/3 of the PSU lineup has the muscle tone of my accountant.

They also roll out 4 guys with NCs. Gym time ain’t the thing.

2/3 of the PSU lineup has the muscle tone of my accountant.

They also roll out 4 guys with NCs. Gym time ain’t the thing.

Technique usually trumps strength, that is true. For some of our guys, gym time needs to be a thing. They are getting pushed around and man handled on the mat. The importance of a strong core is invaluable in wrestling. Watch the difference between Glasgow and JVB. Specifically how eash is able or unable to fend off their opponenets. And your accountant must be in pretty good shape.

Technique usually trumps strength, that is true. For some of our guys, gym time needs to be a thing. They are getting pushed around and man handled on the mat. The importance of a strong core is invaluable in wrestling. Watch the difference between Glasgow and JVB. Specifically how eash is able or unable to fend off their opponenets. And your accountant must be in pretty good shape.

In all fairness my accountant is a former minor league ball player...

Reactions: ruready07

JVB is a good sized 157lber, so he does not get pushed around. Glasgow is a 157lber wrestling 165, so he gets pushed around.

Reactions: plcoolg
JVB is a good sized 157lber, so he does not get pushed around. Glasgow is a 157lber wrestling 165, so he gets pushed around.

Good size per weight class or not, Glasgow (when not favoring the knee) gets out a hell of a lot more predicaments using his strength vs JVB. My point before was about the value of strength when added to a technically sound wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT