ADVERTISEMENT

NHSCA HIGH SCHOOL NATIONALS

Is this a high level event for Seniors? Why aren't more of our recruits there?
It's more a tourney for kids who are looking for exposure. In the case of Aguilar, if he's not invited to an All-Star Classic, this is the next best thing. Kid clearly loves to compete.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Is this a high level event for Seniors? Why aren't more of our recruits there?
NHSCA Senior nationals used to be one of the marque post season tournaments for seniors back in the day. There were some fantastic matches over the years. Over the last decade or so, it seems to have lost a little bit of its luster. It's still a nice feather in the cap of whomever ends up winning though.

A lot of guys now elect to either not participate or attend FloNationals, which is also a really fun tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: CerealNTacos
Lewis Fernandez from Voorhees, who won the state title at heavyweight this year, is competing in Virginia Beach this weekend. He is in the Junior Division, in the 220 pound weight class. He has won two rounds so far which puts him into the quarterfinals. In his first match he won 6-5 in the end of regulation and was tested more then I saw in any of his NJ state matches. In his second match he won by fall in :59.

I did a little research on Fernandez' first round opponent who gave him such a tough match. First off, the results are listed incorrectly on FloArena which erroneously has Fernandez winning by fall in 4 minutes. Anyway, the kid's name is Johnny Shafer from wrestling powerhouse St. Paris Graham and he came in 3rd place in Ohio's 220 pound class this year. (Ohio separates their high schools into three classes; hence, 3 state champions per weight class). That being said, the kid was very good and it wouldn't have been a big surprise if the results were different in my opinion.

Bergen Catholic's195 pound state champ, Jacob Cardenas, is rolling through the Junior Division in the same weight class. He won by tech fall twice and by fall once to reach the Quarterfinals. BC's Chris Foca dropped from 170 to 160 and is also into the quarters.

Last edited:
Lewis Fernandez from Voorhees, who won the state title at heavyweight this year, is competing in Virginia Beach this weekend. He is in the Junior Division, in the 220 pound weight class. He has won two rounds so far which puts him into the quarterfinals. In his first match he won 6-5 in the end of regulation and was tested more then I saw in any of his NJ state matches. In his second match he won by fall in :59.

I did a little research on Fernandez' first round opponent who gave him such a tough match. First off, the results are listed incorrectly on FloArena which erroneously has Fernandez winning by fall in 4 minutes. Anyway, the kid's name is Johnny Shafer from wrestling powerhouse St. Paris Graham and he came in 3rd place in Ohio's 220 pound class this year. (Ohio separates their high schools into three classes; hence, 3 state champions per weight class). That being said, the kid was very good and it wouldn't have been a big surprise if the results were different in my opinion.

Bergen Catholic's195 pound state champ, Jacob Cardenas, is rolling through the Junior Division in the same weight class. He won by tech fall twice and by fall once to reach the Quarterfinals. BC's Chris Foca dropped from 170 to 160 and is also into the quarters.

Thanks for that great info. Fernandez would be a great get if we got him.

Fernandez is like a dog on a bone when he wrestles. A lot of action for a kid his size.

Aguilar just cruised to National Final there..Not the best competition but having a heavy favorite in Virginia Beach tomorrow is good for the program. Aguilar is an absolute stud and to be able to sign him from California was a great job by staff...The Junior field is a little tougher and possible recruits Cardenes and Fernandes semi finals are coming up... Heard the staff is recruiting Cardenes really hard...RU is on the verge of a GREAT 2019 Class...Couple Big Time recruits coming in this week!

Anyone know more about these? I think Nic Aguilar is wrestling in them.
My buddies kid is down there. He said they had 40 mats inside the warehouse. That's how he described it, that it was like being inside a huge warehouse. His kid is a freshman.

My buddies kid is down there. He said they had 40 mats inside the warehouse. That's how he described it, that it was like being inside a huge warehouse. His kid is a freshman.
I can understand that if he's a freshman..place is huge but actually pretty nice.

VB_Convention_Center-740x320.jpg

I can understand that if he's a freshman..place is huge but actually pretty nice.

VB_Convention_Center-740x320.jpg
He didn't tell me it was that nice looking outside, he just showed me pictures of the inside and said it's like being in a huge warehouse. I think that's the foryer, the wrestling is taking place in the back area there. There's no glass windows where they are wrestling.

He didn't tell me it was that nice looking outside, he just showed me pictures of the inside and said it's like being in a huge warehouse. I think that's the foryer, the wrestling is taking place in the back area there. There's no glass windows where they are wrestling.
Been there for this tournament plenty of times but when they staggered the divisions..I can see where your coming from, Must have been wild in opening rounds with 32 mats and all 4 divisions.

Reactions: koleszar
Fernandez lost 5-1. Aguilar in finals. Shayne Van Ness, Rodney’s freshman at Blair cruises into finals of frosh tourney 19-8 after 3 pins. At 126 I think. Kid is going to be a killer.
Crazy to think he couldn't crack the lineup this season. Embarrassment of riches at Blair as usual.

He lost to Colicchio 1-0 to start the season and then 5-1 I think when he was sick. Colicchio was # 1 in country at one time.

Reactions: IsItLuck
I didn’t watch the match, but Fernandes lost to Bullock from Illinois in the semis 5-1

Fernandez up 1-0 after two periods. At beginning of third he had two separate locked hands calls when attempting to bring opponent back to mat. Opponent eventually escaped from bottom then opponent shot and was able to grab a leg and secure a takedown. During the entirety of match Fernandez kept a comfortable distance from opponent- a distance which he utilized in previous matches to shoot for legs and ankle picks. Unfortunately, this match he was not able to shoot effectively.

LEWIS Fernandez update:
Won convincingly, 7-0, in the concellation semis. Rode extremely well using legs to flatten opponent throughout match.

In the third place match, he beat Josh Heindselman, the state of Oklahoma's wrestler of the year and 2018's 220 pound champ. Fernandez used slick take downs and heavy riding to dominate 6-1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT