ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Detroit for 2022 NCAA Championships / Tournament Thread

Bulsak loses 4-3. He couldn’t get it done on his feet this match.

And there you have it. I was waiting for Matt to try and come back with some cute comment, but you cut to the chase. Do your talking on the mat, respect your opponent. Good coaches got that across to me throughout my career.
What did he say abt sasso

If Greg had a better offensive game on his feet against the top guys, he would have a chance at a NC. Still, hell of an impressive defense on deep shots and of course the punishing rides on the mat. Fun wrestler to watch and I felt from the first few weeks of the year, he had a chance at an AA.

I don't get the Yanni hate. I heard the interview and he was just being harsh on himself - how he's wrestling too conservatively due to the big stage and he is allowing the environment to get to him, and needs to have nuts. We all know if Yanni wrestles to his capabilities, he'll dominate Sasso and the whole field.

I don't get the Yanni hate. I heard the interview and he was just being harsh on himself - how he's wrestling too conservatively due to the big stage and he is allowing the environment to get to him, and needs to have nuts. We all know if Yanni wrestles to his capabilities, he'll dominate Sasso and the whole field.
That’s y I wanted to c the interview for myself… from the sound of it here, I thought Yanni was smack talking Sasso which didn’t seem like him… Being the harshest critic on yourself is just a trait elite wrestlers have… Metcalf was the first one I saw really do this in the interview… he was almost robotic…obsessed..

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Team Scores
Printed on 03/18/2022 10:42 p.m.

Team Scores
Penn State​
108.0​
Michigan​
84.5​
Arizona State​
63.5​
Iowa​
62.0​
Nebraska​
54.0​
Northwestern​
49.0​
Virginia Tech​
48.0​
Cornell​
45.0​
Missouri​
42.0​
Ohio State​
42.0​
Minnesota​
41.0​
NC State​
40.5​
Oklahoma State​
38.5​
Oregon State​
38.0​
Princeton​
38.0​
North Carolina​
32.0​
Wisconsin​
32.0​
Stanford​
31.5​
Iowa State​
28.5​
Northern Iowa​
24.0​
Rutgers​
24.0​
Cal Poly​
20.0​
Pittsburgh​
19.5​
Wyoming​
16.5​
Pennsylvania​
15.5​
Illinois​
14.5​
Appalachian State​
13.5​
Lehigh​
11.0​
Oklahoma​
11.0​
Purdue​
10.5​
Virginia​
10.5​
West Virginia​
8.5​
Drexel​
8.0​
North Dakota State​
7.5​
Rider​
6.0​
Air Force​
5.0​
Binghamton​
5.0​
Campbell​
5.0​
Central Michigan​
4.5​
Northern Illinois​
4.5​
Army West Point​
4.0​
Michigan State​
4.0​
The Citadel​
4.0​
Northern Colorado​
3.5​
South Dakota State​
3.5​
Bloomsburg​
3.0​
Clarion​
3.0​
Bucknell​
2.5​
Duke​
2.5​
Maryland​
2.5​
Navy​
2.5​
Harvard​
2.0​
Utah Valley​
2.0​
Columbia​
1.5​
Lock Haven​
1.5​
Chattanooga​
1.0​
Cleveland State​
1.0​
CSU Bakersfield​
1.0​
Indiana​
1.0​
Kent State​
1.0​
Buffalo​
0.0​
Edinboro​
0.0​
Franklin & Marshall​
0.0​
Gardner-Webb​
0.0​
George Mason​
0.0​
Hofstra​
0.0​
Ohio​
0.0​
Sacred Heart​
0.0​
Siu Edwardsville​
0.0​

Reactions: NittanyChris
Of curiosity, what would our team score be after day two if Suriano was still at RU?
I understand. I think it is time to move on….even to wish. To your point what would our team score be if Rivera and Bulsak did not transfer to RU. Out of curiosity 😀

I understand. I think it is time to move on….even to wish. To your point what would our team score be if Rivera and Bulsak did not transfer to RU. Out of curiosity 😀
Genuinely just wanted to know the score. I realize it's a hypothetical situation. I moved on from the whole Suriano situation once he decided not to come back a few years ago. That said good points on your take regarding Rivera and Bulsak. Still would be curious to know the team score. The point being, we're not too far from being top 10 again.

Genuinely just wanted to know the score. I realize it's a hypothetical situation. I moved on from the whole Suriano situation once he decided not to come back a few years ago. That said good points on your take regarding Rivera and Bulsak. Still would be curious to know the team score. The point being, we're not too far from being top 10 again.
We have 24 team pt rn good for 20th place. Suriano scored 19 pt rn so our total would have been 43pts that would be good for top 10.

Its so close but so far at the same time to being in top 10… we need guys that can go deep at nationals.. but yeah we r one finalist away from top 10. I remember someone posted long ago that one champ scores more points then 10 national qualifiers that wins a match or something.. idk y but that’s always stuck wit me.

You also have to figure Alvarez would have scored more than Olivieri at 133 and Turley would have scored more than Oneill at 174. We all had high hopes for this season but injuries, weight, and some mental blocks really derailed the team. We have a talented freshmen class coming in next year, we get back 2 former AA’s, plus a NQ in Janzer, plus a couple promising prospects out of redshirt. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the overall team to be approaching the top 10 next year if all goes well even with the departure of Rivera, MVB, and Bulsak.

DeSanto outwrestled RBY except for the last takedown.
Same thing in the dual. Outwrestled him. Had a a smart game plan but RBYs neutral defense is too damn good. RBY waited for a good opportunity at the end and gets the winning takedown while doing much less work. The NCAA match was an exact clone and perfect game plan.
You also have to figure Alvarez would have scored more than Olivieri at 133 and Turley would have scored more than Oneill at 174. We all had high hopes for this season but injuries, weight, and some mental blocks really derailed the team. We have a talented freshmen class coming in next year, we get back 2 former AA’s, plus a NQ in Janzer, plus a couple promising prospects out of redshirt. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the overall team to be approaching the top 10 next year if all goes well even with the departure of Rivera, MVB, and Bulsak.
Ditto on all of this.. Goody hasn't begun a downward trend (or even stalled I believe) as some have implied. This team had injuries and wrestlers who under achieved this tournament yet still ended up with 2 AAs and a 20ish finish.

Reactions: Leonard23
We have 24 team pt rn good for 20th place. Suriano scored 19 pt rn so our total would have been 43pts that would be good for top 10.

Its so close but so far at the same time to being in top 10… we need guys that can go deep at nationals.. but yeah we r one finalist away from top 10. I remember someone posted long ago that one champ scores more points then 10 national qualifiers that wins a match or something.. idk y but that’s always stuck wit me.
Thank you

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the overall team to be approaching the top 10 next year if all goes well even with the departure of Rivera, MVB, and Bulsak.
So?? RU in 20th+ place now and you think it’s “reasonable” they approach top 10 next year while losing their 3 best wrestlers this year?
I’ll tell you I used to post on this forum more as Rutgers is my 2nd team after PSU, but when you see some of the takes on this board it’s worthless. That and some of the PSU hate and it’s ridiculous.
I see some of the better posters on this board get drowned out with just some foolish takes.

• Sad
Reactions: runrutgersrun
So?? RU in 20th+ place now and you think it’s “reasonable” they approach top 10 next year while losing their 3 best wrestlers this year?
I’ll tell you I used to post on this forum more as Rutgers is my 2nd team after PSU, but when you see some of the takes on this board it’s worthless. That and some of the PSU hate and it’s ridiculous.
I see some of the better posters on this board get drowned out with just some foolish takes.

Well next year hopefully Poz and Sammy are healthy and ready to go. Turley will be back. And we have some Talented newcomers like Peterson, Soldano and White to name a few. I’d hope we’d finish better than 20.

Who knows.. maybe we add a transfer or two.

Well next year hopefully Poz and Sammy are healthy and ready to go. Turley will be back. And we have some Talented newcomers like Peterson, Soldano and White to name a few. I’d hope we’d finish better than 20.

I think finishing better than 20th is a realistic expectation but not top 10 when you have no one that will be a potential finalists. People here need to understand, to be top 10 you need either one or two champs/finalists

Last edited:
I think finishing better than 20th is a realistic expectation but not top 10 when you have no one that will be a potential finalists. People here need to understand, to be top 10 you need either one or two champs.

I don’t see us with a finalist unless we add some unexpected transfer, but I think we’ll be more balanced if we’re healthy. Who knows how it shakes out.. who redshirts etc. we definitely have some good young talent though in my opinion.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

By then Shawver should be in good position to AA. Joey O should return as well. I think RU is in a good place moving forward. A lot of guys are finally graduating. This has been the deepest tournament yet.

I dont think that is all that unreasonable at all. If Poz, Turley and Alvarez return to max potential, why not? Maybe Rutgers gets a transfer or two in the middle weights. Add Peterson, Raimo, White (who people are high on) a healthy Janzer and hopefully top HWT recruit Hamilton and why not? Plus a nice recruiting class. BTW, is there really that much hate on PSU wrestling here? Either I dont pay attention to it, or it isnt as much as you perceive. Focus on the NCAA thread where PSU wrestlers are having a field day on the mat in Detroit. What bad has been said about them?

I dont think that is all that unreasonable at all. If Poz, Turley and Alvarez return to max potential, why not? Maybe Rutgers gets a transfer or two in the middle weights. Add Peterson, Raimo, White (who people are high on) a healthy Janzer and hopefully top HWT recruit Hamilton and why not? Plus a nice recruiting class. BTW, is there really that much hate on PSU wrestling here? Either I dont pay attention to it, or it isnt as much as you perceive. Focus on the NCAA thread where PSU wrestlers are having a field day on the mat in Detroit. What bad has been said about them?
Understand..I hope RU can become a top 10 team. Just saying that based on what RU has coming back, no one should be thinking top 10. Saying “well maybe a transfer here or there will put us over the top” is wishful thinking. If a transfer or 2 does come, then reavaluate then

First off everyone outside of psu dislikes the evil empire. They respect what you've been able to do, but believe me there's a strong dislike lying deep down inside there. It's the same for Ohio State in football, do you like them after they've handed your asses to you for the umpteenth time? You need to take off the blue and white tinted glasses to see the whole world.

I don't subscribe to the top 10 theory next year however, you said three of our best wrestlers, one of those was beat by a kid redshirting. So it's not the 3 best. And yes we need transfer portal help, but psu wouldn't be psu this year nor would Michigan without it either.

O and the psu wrestling board is no better than this one. Don't act like it's some Mensa meeting of the minds. The hate for Rutgers over there is strong without any respect for any of our wrestlers.

Last edited:
Understand..I hope RU can become a top 10 team. Just saying that based on what RU has coming back, no one should be thinking top 10. Saying “well maybe a transfer here or there will put us over the top” is wishful thinking. If a transfer or 2 does come, then reavaluate then
But that isnt what I only said and I never used the "over the top" term you quoted me saying. This year, Rivera can be as high as three. Bulsak 7th max. Everyone else has been done. And here we sit in 20th. Last year Turley and Poz (4th) both AA and added nothing or very little to this years point total. Add the rest of the guys I mentioned and the team has solid potential. And remember the original discussion wasnt about BEING in the top 10, you responded to someone who said it could approach the top 10. Big difference. A solid team with additional wrestlers having the ability to get more wins compared to the limited amount of wins we got in this year's tourney has a better ability to achieve a greater team score. And you didnt address your thoughts on the PSU wrestling bashing going on here.

Last edited:
If you used to post on this forum more as Rutgers is your 2nd team after PSU, but then you see some of the takes on this board and you decided it's worthless...what made you decide to post here again?

And you didnt address your thoughts on the PSU wrestling bashing going on here.
This comment had nothing to do with this thread..it was a general comment over the years. Was just giving one of the two reasons I don’t post over here even though I do root for RU over any team except PSU.

I’m from Jersey, played against Goodie in football and respect the heck out of him. Followed HS wrestling a ton and no college wrestling. Then when Molinaro went to PSU I started watching college more. When I saw how PSU just did things “different” I became a huge fan. Now I can’t watch HS anymore because once you get in to high level college stuff, HS is like watching elementary kids

Hopefully that link works. With all due respect to the other board members opinions I STILL dont see anything wrong with this interview.
Thanks for posting that. I had been looking for the interview this morning and couldnt find it. I thought it sounded worse and you are right. It isnt as bad as I originally thought. However, theres still disrespect towards Sasso which I dont agree with. Even though the score was close, Yanni controlled that match pretty well. Yet he came off the mat, says "honestly, I'm a better wrestler" and came across like a douche. It wasnt a good look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT