ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Detroit for 2022 NCAA Championships / Tournament Thread

As someone involved in skwc fundraising can you tell us how much money we raised last year and this year. I get it that we are not Iowa, Penn State, Cornell, or Michigan. Does Missouri, NC State, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin raise more money than the SKWC. Those schools aren’t located in wrestling hotbeds and seem to usually outperform us. I am not an expert. It just does not appear that money is preventing us from outperforming these teams. Is there a listing of where we rank in money raised?
I suggest that yo
As someone involved in skwc fundraising can you tell us how much money we raised last year and this year. I get it that we are not Iowa, Penn State, Cornell, or Michigan. Does Missouri, NC State, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin raise more money than the SKWC. Those schools aren’t located in wrestling hotbeds and seem to usually outperform us. I am not an expert. It just does not appear that money is preventing us from outperforming these teams. Is there a listing of where we rank in money raised?
I am not going to discuss comparative dollars but as I stated if you go on the websites of the other clubs and see the scope of their operations you will easily see that they have a larger pool of financial resources than we do. Check out their corporate sponsors like Spartan. The SKWC has grown exponentially over the last few years but the other clubs have a long head start on us and in many cases a few mega donors which we do not currently have. If you know of any potential corporate sponsors or rich guys looking to help out give Joe Pollard a call.

Last edited:
Those other schools you mentioned have a 50 year (or longer) head start on us. All were far more successful than us for decades because they invested in the program and winning early on, which means they fully funded the 9.9 schollies, had nicer facilities, RTCs and outside elite training partners before then, etc. NCST, for example, had a good practice facility in the 90s, not to mention a good home arena too. Bob Guzzo was HC for 30 years there, 1975-2004, and had 4 national champs and 24 AAs while we were barely funding 2 schollies and looking to cut the program. No comparison. We're way behind but have managed to work miracles to get to where we are with limited funding and history.

Football drives the boat. You want athletic money, you need a good football team that can sell out every game.
But that's athletic department money, not SKWC money they're mutually exclusive. Full investment from the school will help get you into the top 20. Wrestling club investment gets you past that. Now get to where some of these clubs have gotten, with money to burn and that's how you become a consistent top 10.

For me the tied for 20th is a big disappointment. However, Goodale is fine as the head man. You need that consistent vision and face of the program, there's no instability. Also he made the moves necessary to move the program forward. A younger assistant in Ashnault and with the new head at the SKWC Buxton, that guys got his tentacles all over NJ wrestling. We just have to give the moves time to see if they work.

Last edited:
I think I kind of figured out why Penn State dominates so much and we stayed stagnant. Penn State for one has a legacy of greatness with athletics. Second, they have an endowment ( before Sanderson came) that put ours to shame. Third, by hiring Carl Slingblade, they set the bar higher than most recruits could ever achieve, and that was the attraction for top recruits. They always knew, even if they became an NCAA champ, that, still wasn't good enough and there was this expectation to be better and always improve. Hence the personalities and laser-like Sanderson focus his recruits and wrestlers have. Us, we had limited prospects and took a gamble on a high school coach. A high school coach! For all you critics saying he should be replaced ( and I am guilty in the past of saying this too) is not right. With nowhere near the support, finances, and resume of a Sanderson and Penn State, our abysmal program became a perennial top 20, with All Americans, consistently for the last 7 years. I would say we are far luckier to have a Goodale than a Carl any day of the week. But the NJ fans and peanut gallery are relentless and want more. So, instead of knit-picking and finding alternate resolutions to our program's stagnation, why don't we figure out how we can finance more to the program and get those top-shelf athletes in droves as Penn State has. Then the top recruits will come here, instead of being third in line at Penn State with others like them
Craclers well said. This is by far your best post on the forum. I'm in the room everyday watching these young men train to be National Champs and AA's. Just because our wrestlers don't accomplish their goals doesn't give poster the right to say, this wrestler choked, sucks, waste of money and zero talent. Maybe it wasn't their weekend or the opponent they wrestled was just better that day. We need to support the coaches and wrestlers not attack them every chance we get.
If you have a Flo or Rokfin account go and watch some of the wrestlers interviews. The stories these wrestlers tell about their careers and season are amazing. The grind wrestlers go through to achieve their dreams. Logan Massa, Mekhi Lewis, Mike Kemerer and Bryce Andonian.

Go RU Wrestling

You know what it was like back in the 70’s and 80’s with little scholarship money, decrepit facilities, and most students not even knowing that we had a wrestling team. I still remember Coach Voliva coming to our Fraternity house to recruit some of our Keller Trophy wrestling champions to wrestle in some duals. As I recall he was also the director of intramural sports. We have come a long way and Scott is certainly no longer a “high school” coach. What he has led is nothing short of a miracle given where the program came from. You are spot on that it is a funding race. I’ve been active in SKWC fundraising over the past few years and will emphasize again that every $ counts. That $1 pin pool pledge makes a difference that most don’t realize. Check the websites of Hawkeye, NLWC, Spartan, etc. and look at the number of resident athletes on their roster. Wrestling is unique with the RTC system and until our sugar daddy materializes we need everyone pitching in to the best of their ability. The pin pool is still open so if you want to make a difference sign up today.
Ummmm....uh...yeah, I know exactly what it was like in the early 80's. I lived it. The finances sucked! We sucked. I was like this diamond in the rough, with my accomplishments, no we have goes beating or matching my placement every year.

Reactions: DUForever
You know how all of these kids in interviews stressed the mental fatigue that they have with D 1 wrestling.

You know how all of these kids in interviews stressed the mental fatigue that they have with D 1 wrestling.
I could be wrong, but seems like physical and mental stress at an all time high and it doesn’t help that this new generation of wrestler has probably been grinding since the age of 5. May need to consider less matches and cycle training similar to boxing or bodybuilding. There are more youth clubs and year round tournaments than ever so these kids are entering HS and college with a ton of mileage on their bodies and minds.

I could be wrong, but seems like physical and mental stress at an all time high and it doesn’t help that this new generation of wrestler has probably been grinding since the age of 5. May need to consider less matches and cycle training similar to boxing or bodybuilding. There are more youth clubs and year round tournaments than ever so these kids are entering HS and college with a ton of mileage on their bodies and minds.
Yup. You have coaches and parents telling kids they have to wrestle 50-60 high level matches just over the summer alone or they'll fall behind. It's nuts and not surprising when you see the increase of injuries and mental stress.

Yup. You have coaches and parents telling kids they have to wrestle 50-60 high level matches just over the summer alone or they'll fall behind. It's nuts and not surprising when you see the increase of injuries and mental stress.
I never heard 50-60 high level matches over the summer for College athletes. They will certainly train FS in the room and go to at least one if not two high level FS tourn over the summer. For HS wrestlers depending on if you choose FS that will be dictated by the number of matches (Fargo, Team NJ duals and NJ FS tourns). If you stay with Folkstyle I seen at least 30 if not more matches (based on local tournaments and club duals) and training. This is what I have seen.

The physical and mental stress I believe…if you never experienced it before is during the season and it’s the BIG Ten grind. It gets to some.

What is going on now either College or HS has been the norm for a while now. Just IMO from experience.

Reactions: Leonard23
I never heard 50-60 high level matches over the summer for College athletes. They will certainly train FS in the room and go to at least one if not two high level FS tourn over the summer. For HS wrestlers depending on if you choose FS that will be dictated by the number of matches (Fargo, Team NJ duals and NJ FS tourns). If you stay with Folkstyle I seen at least 30 if not more matches (based on local tournaments and club duals) and training. This is what I have seen.

The physical and mental stress I believe…if you never experienced it before is during the season and it’s the BIG Ten grind. It gets to some.

What is going on now either College or HS has been the norm for a while now. Just IMO from experience.
I was referring to HS and youth.

We were talking more about youth wrestlers not college. I know parents who brag when their kid hits 100 matches in a year like it’s a huge accomplishment - and they aren’t rec league kids/matches. They are traveling the country year round and constantly have to make weight for premier events. Not good for longevity in a tough sport.

I was referring to HS and youth.
Leonard, you are correct. I see youth wresters out there wrestling that type of schedule in the summer. We attended the Nuway duels last summer for the first time, and some of these kids ripped out 7-8 matches (against legit talent) like it was a week day practice and came back the next day for the individual tournament like it was nothing. You have to think that will catch up with them at some point.

Reactions: Leonard23
The silver lining after watching PSU win the NC is that Michigan failed trying to buy themselves one.

Reactions: elvis7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT