ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Detroit for 2022 NCAA Championships / Tournament Thread

What everyone think of Suriano Match? Thought he Pretty much dominated. Just seems to have 1-2 brain farts on the big stage. But he certainly deserved to win.
I thought he neutralized Glorys strengths. I know he want to get a point, but going down on bottom a second time was a ballsy decision. He ended up stalling, but put himself in Glorys sweet spot. It was 5-1 and Glory didn't have an offensive point. Nick was in control for majority of the match. I'm glad Glory lost but do approve of his walk out song. I'll pull for him against Lee next year.

Well Disel and Crackers both owe me $100 each on my bet Nick wins the 125 pound championship. I will give you the address where to send the checks boys! Thank you.
SKWC, Inc.
P.O. Box 97
Sea Girt NJ 08750
😀

Reactions: SCNJ
Come on Mekkhi L.

A win by him and my night is awesome (#2 behind Fix in wrestlers i want to see lose). #3 is Logan Massa

How the hell is that not a takedown for Lewis? This ref blows.

U get 1pt for every W in championship bracket, 2pts for a pin. Bonus pts r huge at nationals. I guess they treat pigtail as championship bracket
That’s dumb that you can get points there though. In theory, your team in terms of score is at an advantage with the 32nd seed than the team with the say 27th seed because of the extra match vs the weakest opponent in the field.

That’s dumb that you can get points there though. In theory, your team in terms of score is at an advantage with the 32nd seed than the team with the say 27th seed because of the extra match vs the weakest opponent in the field.
That is… very true… there’s better chance at team points from 32nd then 27th. As a coach you would probably prefer that… for the wrestlers though that’s another extra match and then they get the 1 seed next…. I don’t think I ever saw a 1 seed lose to the pigtail winner.

O’Neil was our third best scorer and scored as many points as Poz, Shaver, Oliveri, and Van Brill combined. This weekend I like the rule.

Team Scores
Printed on 03/19/2022 09:45 p.m.

Team Scores
Penn State​
131.5​
Michigan​
95.0​
Iowa​
74.0​
Arizona State​
66.5​
Nebraska​
59.5​
Northwestern​
57.5​
Cornell​
54.5​
Virginia Tech​
52.5​
Missouri​
49.5​
NC State​
49.0​
Minnesota​
48.5​
Oregon State​
44.5​
Ohio State​
44.0​
Oklahoma State​
38.5​
Wisconsin​
38.5​
Princeton​
38.0​
Iowa State​
37.0​
North Carolina​
32.0​
Stanford​
31.5​
Northern Iowa​
28.5​
Rutgers​
28.5​
Cal Poly​
28.0​
Wyoming​
21.0​
Pittsburgh​
20.5​
Illinois​
17.5​
Lehigh​
17.5​
Pennsylvania​
15.5​
Appalachian State​
13.5​
Oklahoma​
11.0​
Purdue​
10.5​
Virginia​
10.5​
West Virginia​
8.5​
Drexel​
8.0​
North Dakota State​
7.5​
Rider​
6.0​
Air Force​
5.0​
Binghamton​
5.0​
Campbell​
5.0​
Central Michigan​
4.5​
Northern Illinois​
4.5​
Army West Point​
4.0​
Michigan State​
4.0​
The Citadel​
4.0​
Northern Colorado​
3.5​
South Dakota State​
3.5​
Bloomsburg​
3.0​
Clarion​
3.0​
Bucknell​
2.5​
Duke​
2.5​
Maryland​
2.5​
Navy​
2.5​
Harvard​
2.0​
Utah Valley​
2.0​
Columbia​
1.5​
Lock Haven​
1.5​
Chattanooga​
1.0​
Cleveland State​
1.0​
CSU Bakersfield​
1.0​
Indiana​
1.0​
Kent State​
1.0​
Buffalo​
0.0​
Edinboro​
0.0​
Franklin & Marshall​
0.0​
Gardner-Webb​
0.0​
George Mason​
0.0​
Hofstra​
0.0​
Ohio​
0.0​
Sacred Heart​
0.0​
Siu Edwardsville​
0.0​

2AA, Seabass finishing 3rd, and Top 20 were realistic goals and glad they were hit … congrats to the team for a good season!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I think I kind of figured out why Penn State dominates so much and we stayed stagnant. Penn State for one has a legacy of greatness with athletics. Second, they have an endowment ( before Sanderson came) that put ours to shame. Third, by hiring Carl Slingblade, they set the bar higher than most recruits could ever achieve, and that was the attraction for top recruits. They always knew, even if they became an NCAA champ, that, still wasn't good enough and there was this expectation to be better and always improve. Hence the personalities and laser-like Sanderson focus his recruits and wrestlers have. Us, we had limited prospects and took a gamble on a high school coach. A high school coach! For all you critics saying he should be replaced ( and I am guilty in the past of saying this too) is not right. With nowhere near the support, finances, and resume of a Sanderson and Penn State, our abysmal program became a perennial top 20, with All Americans, consistently for the last 7 years. I would say we are far luckier to have a Goodale than a Carl any day of the week. But the NJ fans and peanut gallery are relentless and want more. So, instead of knit-picking and finding alternate resolutions to our program's stagnation, why don't we figure out how we can finance more to the program and get those top-shelf athletes in droves as Penn State has. Then the top recruits will come here, instead of being third in line at Penn State with others like them

I think I kind of figured out why Penn State dominates so much and we stayed stagnant. Penn State for one has a legacy of greatness with athletics. Second, they have an endowment ( before Sanderson came) that put ours to shame. Third, by hiring Carl Slingblade, they set the bar higher than most recruits could ever achieve, and that was the attraction for top recruits. They always knew, even if they became an NCAA champ, that, still wasn't good enough and there was this expectation to be better and always improve. Hence the personalities and laser-like Sanderson focus his recruits and wrestlers have. Us, we had limited prospects and took a gamble on a high school coach. A high school coach! For all you critics saying he should be replaced ( and I am guilty in the past of saying this too) is not right. With nowhere near the support, finances, and resume of a Sanderson and Penn State, our abysmal program became a perennial top 20, with All Americans, consistently for the last 7 years. I would say we are far luckier to have a Goodale than a Carl any day of the week. But the NJ fans and peanut gallery are relentless and want more. So, instead of knit-picking and finding alternate resolutions to our program's stagnation, why don't we figure out how we can finance more to the program and get those top-shelf athletes in droves as Penn State has. Then the top recruits will come here, instead of being third in line at Penn State with others like them
I support the current coach and agree with a lot of what you have to say, as long as we all understand that with the current coach we will NEVER reach the top echelon of college wrestling. The best you are going to get is a top 20 finish, with a few All-Americans and on the off year maybe a National Champ. Now, if you look at the history of Rutgers wrestling that is very respectable, but it is not going to allow us to compete for B1G and National team titles. We are what we are, and he is what he is, and as long as people are good with that, then stop whining and lay off the coach.

You know what it was like back in the 70’s and 80’s with little scholarship money, decrepit facilities, and most students not even knowing that we had a wrestling team. I still remember Coach Voliva coming to our Fraternity house to recruit some of our Keller Trophy wrestling champions to wrestle in some duals. As I recall he was also the director of intramural sports. We have come a long way and Scott is certainly no longer a “high school” coach. What he has led is nothing short of a miracle given where the program came from. You are spot on that it is a funding race. I’ve been active in SKWC fundraising over the past few years and will emphasize again that every $ counts. That $1 pin pool pledge makes a difference that most don’t realize. Check the websites of Hawkeye, NLWC, Spartan, etc. and look at the number of resident athletes on their roster. Wrestling is unique with the RTC system and until our sugar daddy materializes we need everyone pitching in to the best of their ability. The pin pool is still open so if anyone wants to make a difference sign up today.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the points in the Deakin match please? Or at least what the commentators were talking about? Deakin had Monday with his back exposed and they talked about the "neutral danger" position. Eventually Deakin was awarded the takedown in this awkward position. Is that because he exposed Monday's back and had him under "control" for a three count? New rule this year? Sometimes I saw this called this year and sometimes I have seen it not called even when it looked like it should have been. Commentators also said Monday not aware of the "danger points being scored". Also heard ref and crowd/coaches saying danger. What is the rule and why is it referred to as "danger"? Thanks.

Can someone explain the points in the Deakin match please? Or at least what the commentators were talking about? Deakin had Monday with his back exposed and they talked about the "neutral danger" position. Eventually Deakin was awarded the takedown in this awkward position. Is that because he exposed Monday's back and had him under "control" for a three count? New rule this year? Sometimes I saw this called this year and sometimes I have seen it not called even when it looked like it should have been. Commentators also said Monday not aware of the "danger points being scored". Also heard ref and crowd/coaches saying danger. What is the rule and why is it referred to as "danger"? Thanks.
Neutral danger rule started in 2017 IIRC (some links and the rule below).

Art. 3. Neutral Danger Zone Takedown. When in the neutral position, the referee shall announce a neutral danger signal (NDS) anytime a wrestler exposes their shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees (neutral danger zone). The danger zone utilizes near fall criteria outlined in Rule 4.5.1, but replaces 45 degrees with any angle less than 90 degrees. The NDS announcement shall occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the danger zone or a takedown is awarded.

A.R. 4-2. Is a wrestler able to score near fall points while holding his opponent in the neutral danger zone?

RULING: No, near fall may only be scored once a takedown is awarded. By rule, the NDZ and the NDS are only applicable when in the neutral position. (Rules 4.2.3 and 4.2.4)

Reactions: LETSGORU91
You know what it was like back in the 70’s and 80’s with little scholarship money, decrepit facilities, and most students not even knowing that we had a wrestling team. I still remember Coach Voliva coming to our Fraternity house to recruit some of our Keller Trophy wrestling champions to wrestle in some duals. As I recall he was also the director of intramural sports. We have come a long way and Scott is certainly no longer a “high school” coach. What he has led is nothing short of a miracle given where the program came from. You are spot on that it is a funding race. I’ve been active in SKWC fundraising over the past few years and will emphasize again that every $ counts. That $1 pin pool pledge makes a difference that most don’t realize. Check the websites of Hawkeye, NLWC, Spartan, etc. and look at the number of resident athletes on their roster. Wrestling is unique with the RTC system and until our sugar daddy materializes we need everyone pitching in to the best of their ability. The pin pool is still open so if you want to make a difference sign up today.

As someone involved in skwc fundraising can you tell us how much money we raised last year and this year. I get it that we are not Iowa, Penn State, Cornell, or Michigan. Does Missouri, NC State, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Wisconsin raise more money than the SKWC. Those schools aren’t located in wrestling hotbeds and seem to usually outperform us. I am not an expert. It just does not appear that money is preventing us from outperforming these teams. Is there a listing of where we rank in money raised?

Neutral danger rule started in 2017 IIRC (some links and the rule below).

Art. 3. Neutral Danger Zone Takedown. When in the neutral position, the referee shall announce a neutral danger signal (NDS) anytime a wrestler exposes their shoulders to the mat at any angle less than 90 degrees (neutral danger zone). The danger zone utilizes near fall criteria outlined in Rule 4.5.1, but replaces 45 degrees with any angle less than 90 degrees. The NDS announcement shall occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the danger zone or a takedown is awarded.

A.R. 4-2. Is a wrestler able to score near fall points while holding his opponent in the neutral danger zone?

RULING: No, near fall may only be scored once a takedown is awarded. By rule, the NDZ and the NDS are only applicable when in the neutral position. (Rules 4.2.3 and 4.2.4)

Thanks for the clarification and weird that I have not heard it mentioned/called until multiple times this year. Maybe they are enforcing it a little more. And the official rule helps clear up the times when I thought so something should have been called, but both wrestler's backs were exposed.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT