ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling In Tulsa for 2023 NCAA Championships

Why don't you think we have a legit shot at Knox, DeLuca and Perentin?
I dint know about DeLuca. But Perentin I do and it’s just not where his thinking is. Unless something has changed. Same for Knox. For him my information is second hand, but from someone who knows him well and who’s son used to be his workout partner. Things can change of course and you never know with NIL, but I would be shocked if either of the two wore Scarlet. I hope I’m wrong.

I tend to assume we’re going to come in second place with the big recruits, but I do know there is at least legitimate interest there from Harer Cerchio and Chapman. So fingers crossed on those guys.

Last edited:
Everything I’ve heard is that Knox is looking at Ivy League specifically Princeton but there are questions about whether or not he will meet their academic standards and continue to do so when enrolled.

Every power house will be after him, but our two “advantages” we’d have are locality and possible willingness to treat him and his father with kid gloves similar to Suriano. Not sure if that’s what we want but unfortunately it’s a potential problem that could arise. I don’t think it’s Suriano level of nuts but the father is overly involved with the SJV room more than a parent should be.

Poz, Soldano, and Peterson (on the rebound) were good gets, but Knox appears to be that next level. I don't see him or his overly enthusiastic dad settling for Rutgers unless the kid has a girlfriend there (hmmm, could work). You really have to put yourself in the kid's mind and ask yourself why you'd want to choose Rutgers, then challenge yourself to be honest - big challenge for some here.

We'll be the second choice along with the kids' other second-choice schools until there is an awakening and efforts to change the story. I'd still like to know what the story is. What can Rutgers offer the kids that competing schools can't?

What other schools do you suppose will be recruiting him?

My bad. That’s not the scouting I meant. I mean scouting their key opponents and preparing their guys for the big matches. Cunningham is as good as it gets with that.
In an interview with Spencer Lee he said he doesn’t really watch much film/scout his opponent.. that he just focuses on his gameplan and preparation n wrestles his match..

You all know I think the dual meet results are just as important as March results. Do you call Princeton’s dual meet record of 4-11 was a successful year because they had an Nc and finished 13 in NCAA

Reactions: Skull83
You all know I think the dual meet results are just as important as March results. Do you call Princeton’s dual meet record of 4-11 was a successful year because they had an Nc and finished 13 in NCAA
Until the NCAA decides to award the team championship based on some version of a duals tournament, the answer unfortunately is yes wngarbarini. Princeton had a successful season. They finished 13th and it wasn't in some poll, it was in the official national championship tournament contested on the mat

In an interview with Spencer Lee he said he doesn’t really watch much film/scout his opponent.. that he just focuses on his gameplan and preparation n wrestles his match..
I'm guessing he wishes he spent a little more time watching/scouting Matt Ramos 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Do you think a wrestler would rather go undefeated in March or in Duals? Most teams could care less about duals and rest wrestlers. Most schools treat it as a warm up to march.

Reactions: Skull83
Yes. If we finished 13th, had another national champ and another take third after a one-point semi-final loss. Isn't that what our coach told us after a lackluster dual season and B1G 11th place finish, "its all about March and NCAA's". He simply ran out of places to move the goalposts.

Last edited:
We can frame success however we want but unfortunately, this sport most success, objectively, is to look at nationals standings… duals are good for putting fans in seats and if dual record matters much then should schedule a cup cake schedule and go undefeated. I do think there should be a dual team nationals in the future though.. could help grow the sport more.

Everything I’ve heard is that Knox is looking at Ivy League specifically Princeton but there are questions about whether or not he will meet their academic standards and continue to do so when enrolled.
Close to zero chance Knox ends up at Princeton. Getting into Princeton is hard, but surviving the classroom is even harder. They give no academic support to athletes and professors don’t care what sport you play. On the bright side, Buxton puts a bunch of these guys in play but RU staff needs to close the deal.

Every power house will be after him, but our two “advantages” we’d have are locality and possible willingness to treat him and his father with kid gloves similar to Suriano. Not sure if that’s what we want but unfortunately it’s a potential problem that could arise. I don’t think it’s Suriano level of nuts but the father is overly involved with the SJV room more than a parent should be.
Totally agree. I do think RU will get close consideration based on (1) proximity to home and Rhino, (2) willingness to tolerate his Dad, (3) academic profile much diff than Ivys, and (4) Buxton.

Does anyone even know if Knox gives a rat's-ass about staying home? The father could care more about that so he can stick his nose into it more, but he might also want his son to go where he has the best chance of winning a national championship. I think it's another near-zero chance of getting the kid. I'd love to hear Goodale's sales pitch when courting such kids.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Does anyone even know if Knox gives a rat's-ass about staying home? The father could care more about that so he can stick his nose into it more, but he might also want his son to go where he has the best chance of winning a national championship. I think it's another near-zero chance of getting the kid. I'd love to hear Goodale's sales pitch when courting such kids.
I don’t get the impression that it has any influence at all. But as I mentioned, what I know is coming to me second hand, so I’m no authority on the thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT