ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling In Tulsa for 2023 NCAA Championships

A starter gotta be decided for opening dual somehow.. a wrestle off for first dual until common opponents/tourney results seems pretty fair… what do u suggest they do for first dual flip a coin instead ?
There are good points about how familiarity can affect wrestle-off results; however, it is the only objective way of deciding. Having a coach decide introduces the possibility of bias that could create bad feelings.

Reactions: brentx35
So we need better depth? I think we need better starter top end talent. A better depth guy wasn't or isn't going to make Clark, Shawver, White, Kanniard, anyone at 165, Janzer or Boone a blood round or AA guy. If Goodale's solution is to find better depth, we'll be looking at 11th B1G's/ 35th nationally a lot more.
Kole I think you missed the point from Goodale. Better depth means recruiting the top end talent. Having multiple top end talents at each weight gives us the depth we need to be a consistent top 10 team.
You need the depth just incase wrestlers get injured, redshirt and from being complacent.
Wrestlers train/work harder when their spot is being challenged by the backup.

Kole I think you missed the point from Goodale. Better depth means recruiting the top end talent. Having multiple top end talents at each weight gives us the depth we need to be a consistent top 10 team.
You need the depth just incase wrestlers get injured, redshirt and from being complacent.
I have to agree with Kole on this one… depth 3 man deep per weight is not what will get us to be a scoring top 10 team at nationals… look at the logjam we had at the lower weights.. ppl just end up transferring out/losing eligibility/quitting… for how many pts at nationals…. Now I agree if we had unlimited money/resources then sure grab as much talent as possible but I don’t believe we have that… it’s better to have a top end talent near each other’s weights, say 141/149 for example, to push each other rather then having 6 national qualifier lvl wrestlers fighting over 2 starting spots… either way, ncaa scoring is set up where if we want to be a top 10 team we need SCORING wrestlers.. w/ limited resources so we gotta figure out how best to do this.. btw we can beat Princeton in a dual but at the end of the day they got 2 studs Glory/Monday so they finished 13th at nationals Vs our 30th+

Agreed. However, where is this new talent coming from under Goodale? Great wrestlers are usually great from the moment they step on campus as freshman. The excuse of being "a young team" probably holds less water in wrestling than any other sport. The way you attract top wrestling talent is to have a wrestling room filled with NCAA title contenders and AAs, recruits need to see a path to greatness in your room and if they don't they will find it elsewhere.

Agreed. However, where is this new talent coming from under Goodale? Great wrestlers are usually great from the moment they step on campus as freshman. The excuse of being "a young team" probably holds less water in wrestling than any other sport. The way you attract top wrestling talent is to have a wrestling room filled with NCAA title contenders and AAs, recruits need to see a path to greatness in your room and if they don't they will find it elsewhere.
The junior recruiting class has the top talent. We need that class to commit and start the new standard at Rutgers.

Reactions: UnderHooks
I have to agree with Kole on this one… depth 3 man deep per weight is not what will get us to be a scoring top 10 team at nationals… look at the logjam we had at the lower weights.. ppl just end up transferring out/losing eligibility/quitting… for how many pts at nationals…. Now I agree if we had unlimited money/resources then sure grab as much talent as possible but I don’t believe we have that… it’s better to have a top end talent near each other’s weights, say 141/149 for example, to push each other rather then having 6 national qualifier lvl wrestlers fighting over 2 starting spots… either way, ncaa scoring is set up where if we want to be a top 10 team we need SCORING wrestlers.. w/ limited resources so we gotta figure out how best to do this.. btw we can beat Princeton in a dual but at the end of the day they got 2 studs Glory/Monday so they finished 13th at nationals Vs our 30th+
Princeton has zero depth and no more studs. Next year they will finish 30th+.

I think we may have missed a subtle point by Goodale related to the coaching staff. He knows we have only one coach (who is getting older) with All American credentials. Plus we lack of a big man coach on staff. This makes recruiting harder when we are in competition with the major schools. We could see Pollard returning to his prior job and Goodale hiring a credentialed big man coach. Pollard formed great relationships when he ran the SKWC Club and the practices. While Pollard is a nice guy, it is hard to see him on a home visit discussing his college wrestling success and what coach will be working out with our big men. Look at Pollard's interviews and you will see that doesn't convey confidence.

Princeton has zero depth and no more studs. Next year they will finish 30th+.
Mike I like your spin. Right now we are the 3rd best D1 wrestling team in NJ. There are only 3. Plus right now we are far behind other programs who have young talent. That’s not acceptable.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Mike I like your spin. Right now we are the 3rd best D1 wrestling team in NJ. That’s not acceptable.
When an insider blindly ignores our results in order to promote the team, it damages credibility. Glad to see some traditional homers are more objective. Mr. P. and Mr. G. are some of our best supporters. They are great cheerleaders who recognize when improvement is needed. I think Coach Goodale would agree. He doesn't put his head in the sand. He doesn't pretend to be blind to where we are.

Quick!!! Run off the names of Rutgers wrestlers who finished 3rd in the B1G championships. Are you really trying to cut down an RU wrestler? Double SMH and a huge WTF to you.
Know one remembers what you did in BIG Tourn. We only wanna know one thing….Did he AA????

Reactions: pish69
When an insider blindly ignores our results in order to promote the team, it damages credibility. Glad to see some traditional homers are more objective. Mr. P. and Mr. G. are some of our best supporters. They are great cheerleaders who recognize when improvement is needed. I think Coach Goodale would agree. He doesn't put his head in the sand. He doesn't pretend to be blind to where we are.
I'm not blind. I see the results or lack of. I don't come on here to bash the program. Anyone can post we need AA's that is obvious.
I don't think I said not having AA's was acceptable. What I'm not going to do is trash talk the team.

So any wrestler that wrestled for Rutgers that didn't AA did absolutely nothing. MVB placed 3rd at BIG to me that is something. So the only accomplishments we recognize are AA's.
Because Mike the reality is did he AA. That’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Messner is right with his depth comment

Depth doesn’t mean filling the room with bodies. It means filling the room with multiple guys capable of doing damage in the big 10. Iron sharpens iron.

So any wrestler that wrestled for Rutgers that didn't AA did absolutely nothing. MVB placed 3rd at BIG to me that is something. So the only accomplishments we recognize are AA's.
So Anthony took 3rd in EIWA you know how many RU wrestlers did that or better. No AA. Plus Anthony’s sr year he had to injury default in semis after bad potentially season ending injury…took a sixth. Does anyone remember any of those accomplishments. They only remember one thing. I think you should get my point.

So Anthony took 3rd in EIWA you know how many RU wrestlers did that or better. No AA. Plus Anthony’s sr year he had to injury default in semis after bad potentially season ending injury…took a sixth. Does anyone remember any of those accomplishments. They only remember one thing. I think you should get my point.
I think you’re right. It’s actually kind of crazy how overlooked the conference tournament is. I just tried to Google a list of big 10 champions over the year. Can’t really find one consolidated list.

That’s Rutgers only. I want a list of all the big 10 champs from all schools. Not sure if it exists, and if it doesn’t why not?

I can Google a list of Heisman trophy finalists and find a list since 1980 in 3 seconds.
Go to Big Ten Conference. Click on Record Book

I guess you don’t remember Suriono walked on the mat at the Big Ten Tourn his first match. Defaulted. Then went on to NCaa finals. So he basically took a 12th in big tens and was a national finalist. I believe that was first yr at RU.

The Big Ten Tourn is a means to get to the NCAAS. It’s great being part of the Big Ten conference because of the amount of the allocations. It a matter of wrestling to your allocation. I was at the Big tens in Iowa….probably more exciting than NCAAs. The Big Ten tourn is great…but a gateway to the NCAAs.

But taking a 3rd in the Big Tens then going 0 2 at the NCAAs. I guess we have two different prospectives in wrestling.

Do you think Lee is sleeping well tonight knowing he was a Big Ten Champion and taking 6th at the NCAAS. You gotta see the big picture. No one is knocking accomplishments. But it’s about one thing. For some winning the NCAAs for others it AAing In either event not getting it a disappointment regardless what place you took in your league tourn.

On the same note what’s more important going undefeated in duals or getting AAs.

Last edited:
I think we may have missed a subtle point by Goodale related to the coaching staff. He knows we have only one coach (who is getting older) with All American credentials. Plus we lack of a big man coach on staff. This makes recruiting harder when we are in competition with the major schools. We could see Pollard returning to his prior job and Goodale hiring a credentialed big man coach. Pollard formed great relationships when he ran the SKWC Club and the practices. While Pollard is a nice guy, it is hard to see him on a home visit discussing his college wrestling success and what coach will be working out with our big men. Look at Pollard's interviews and you will see that doesn't convey confidence.
It's not like this is a new issue. I remember asking a question about the credentials of our coaching staff years ago. All you have to do is look at the resumes of the staffs at Penn State and Iowa, the two top teams in the B1G. Every single one of their coaches, including the head coaches, are not only multiple time All-Americans but in many cases national champions. There is no way to sugar coat it, that has to have an impact on recruiting. Others have pointed out that we have the fan support, the facilities, the conference affiliation, and the location in a state that is a hotbed of high school wrestling. I support our staff and team and am not advocating for anyone to lose their jobs. The program has accomplished a lot and has made real progress. I just think it's pretty obvious that RU wrestling is a sleeping giant and some day, hopefully through natural attrition, the right coaching staff will be able to leverage all of those advantages and turn RU into the absolutely elite program it should aspire to be. In the meantime, I will keep my season tickets, continue to donate to the SKWC, and support all of our coaches and athletes. Go RU!

Rugrapfan is 100% right..it's about Champs and AA's..thinking more about this..the ONLY progam changer is a Gold Medalist as HC. If RU was serious about being big time, it would throw it's money at JB. Some elite kids will stay home to start a trend (Ashnault/Alairez from Northern Colorado). Other studs will want the IVY education (Yianni/Vito/Glory). But for the rest of the kids..it comes down to who's recruting you (I'm talking top 10 kids). Knox will be one of those kids..RU will have to hope he really wants to stay home. Otherwise he'll be at PSU/Iowa/Okie State..all have the same thing in common at HC..Olympic Gold. It's tough to find a gold medal HC, and to have one from Jersey....gotta do what you can to get him. I love Goody..but we're talking next level here..

Or you better be a helluva salesman (Tom Ryan) since tOSU gets high recruiting classes year after year.

Last edited:
Rugrapfan is 100% right..it's about Champs and AA's..thinking more about this..the ONLY progam changer is a Gold Medalist as HC. If RU was serious about being big time, it would throw it's money at JB. Some elite kids will stay home to start a trend (Ashnault/Alairez from Northern Colorado). Other studs will want the IVY education (Yianni/Vito/Glory). But for the rest of the kids..it comes down to who's recruting you (I'm talking top 10 kids). Knox will be one of those kids..RU will have to hope he really wants to stay home. Otherwise he'll be at PSU/Iowa/Okie State..all have the same thing in common at HC..Olympic Gold. It's tough to find a gold medal HC, and to have one from Jersey....gotta do what you can to get him. I love Goody..but we're talking next level here..

Or you better be a helluva salesman (Tom Ryan) since tOSU gets high recruiting classes year after year.
Nothing's going to change here. It'll be the status quo until Goodale decides to move on or people stop showing up to matches.

Nothing's going to change here. It'll be the status quo until Goodale decides to move on or people stop showing up to matches.
That is very true, but doesn't have to be. There is no evidence that there will be a significant improvement. No evidence in the recruiting and the development of who we have isn't going to reach another level.

That is very true, but doesn't have to be. There is no evidence that there will be a significant improvement. No evidence in the recruiting and the development of who we have isn't going to reach another level.
Truth be told how a recruit does his fresh/soph year is generally how his career will go just about.. all talks of x guy will become y by time he is sr is usually just wishful thinking and more of outlier when it does happen.

So much complaining. I’m as disappointed as anyone with the results this season, but the team is not without potential. Mostly, we need to see some of this young talent develop, and we need to close the deal on some of these recruits. Specifically Harer and Cerchio. Then next year Chapman. Some other names mentioned arent happening and are being thrown out only because they live in NJ, but those three have legit chance.

I saw it posted that there’s more emphasis on PA Ohio and Cali and I love hearing that. That Ohio commit mentioned building an Ohio pipeline, which was music to my ears. I think we’re still 100% NJ coaches. It wouldn’t hurt to start thinking how to start building regional not just local bridges.

Some things I’d like to see: as a team, I think there is room to improve in terms of physical strength. I can’t say I know what their weight program is, but I think a few guys would benefit from getting stronger. White in particular has huge upside with upgrades in physical strength, but there are others too.

Scouting is something I can’t speak to about our program, but I do know that is a huge part of the success at PSU. No one does it better than they do at state college.

Obviously got to keep building up SKWC. I’m not saying anything g new here.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I don’t think PSU scouting is some groundbreaking department. Everyone knows who is an elite prospect. Penn State just lands more than anyone. It’s not like Aaron Brooks and Carter Starocci were overlooked recruits. Their brand is so big you could cut their scholarships to 0 and they’ll still be among the best in the nation.

So much complaining. I’m as disappointed as anyone with the results this season, but the team is not without potential. Mostly, we need to see some of this young talent develop, and we need to close the deal on some of these recruits. Specifically Harer and Cerchio. Then next year Chapman. Some other names mentioned arent happening and are being thrown out only because they live in NJ, but those three have legit chance.

I saw it posted that there’s more emphasis on PA Ohio and Cali and I love hearing that. That Ohio commit mentioned building an Ohio pipeline, which was music to my ears. I think we’re still 100% NJ coaches. It wouldn’t hurt to start thinking how to start building regional not just local bridges.

Some things I’d like to see: as a team, I think there is room to improve in terms of physical strength. I can’t say I know what their weight program is, but I think a few guys would benefit from getting stronger. White in particular has huge upside with upgrades in physical strength, but there are others too.

Scouting is something I can’t speak to about our program, but I do know that is a huge part of the success at PSU. No one does it better than they do at state college.

Obviously got to keep building up SKWC. I’m not saying anything g new here.
Why don't you think we have a legit shot at Knox, DeLuca and Perentin?

I don’t think PSU scouting is some groundbreaking department. Everyone knows who is an elite prospect. Penn State just lands more than anyone. It’s not like Aaron Brooks and Carter Starocci were overlooked recruits. Their brand is so big you could cut their scholarships to 0 and they’ll still be among the best in the nation.
My bad. That’s not the scouting I meant. I mean scouting their key opponents and preparing their guys for the big matches. Cunningham is as good as it gets with that.

ADVERTISEMENT