ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling In Tulsa for 2023 NCAA Championships

We always miss on big recruiters. I guess you’re happy with mediocre. I like to see us a national power house.
What’s your definition of powerhouse? I think if all things break correctly we could be a top 10-15 team consistently but I’m not sure how much higher than that we can get.

From a conference perspective I see Iowa and Penn state as tier 1, Michigan and Ohio state as tier 2, and everyone else bounces between tiers 3 and 4 depending on the year. I think we can get to the top of tier 3 with an occasional upset of a tier 2 team. That kind of resume probably puts us top 10ish. That’s where I think we ultimately peak and I would like to see us get there.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
What’s your definition of powerhouse? I think if all things break correctly we could be a top 10-15 team consistently but I’m not sure how much higher than that we can get.

From a conference perspective I see Iowa and Penn state as tier 1, Michigan and Ohio state as tier 2, and everyone else bounces between tiers 3 and 4 depending on the year. I think we can get to the top of tier 3 with an occasional upset of a tier 2 team. That kind of resume probably puts us top 10ish. That’s where I think we ultimately peak and I would like to see us get there.
you guys should definitely be in the mix for the top 10 every season and be picking off Michigan ohio state Nebraska every so often . Rutgers has the facilities, the fan support and are in prime recruiting ground, seems the bigger recruit misses didn’t come down to wrestling and more commitment/attitude issues ( Aragona, Glasgow, Alvarez) …From the outside looking in it seems you need a younger national champ to roll with some guys, no reason for Brown who has 0 qualifiers to have Jesse Delgado and TJ Dudley on staff and Rutgers has no one south of 40

Reactions: RUDead and Skull83

I was not thinking PSU but easily a consistent 10 to 12 top ten team nationally. I am realistic. 😁

Weak takedown and then cling on for dear life from Soto. Boring ass match

All about March! That’s all we hear from all the defenders. 0-7 and will finish around 35th place.

EVERY match with a brick, seems like the entire tourney. I'm good with the real challenges but some of the challenges have been absurd, just using the brick because you have it.

Rutgers wrestling came up one win short of its goal of crowning an All-American. Dean Peterson dropped a 3-1 decision to Anthony Noto of Lock Haven in the blood round. Coach Scott Goodale said "we may need a little bit of an overhaul. Not a total overhaul, but we got to get better."

Read more here:

Rutgers wrestling falls short of stated goal but coach vows to rebuild
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2023/03/...of-stated-goal-but-coach-vows-to-rebuild.html

One of our coaching positions needs to be a a recent grad multiple aa type guy. There should be no excuses not to be pushing top ten every year.
We have every thing that is needed between recruiting hotbed, facilities, fan support. 35th is terrible.

I think it was 7-5 after Lee got a BS takedown. Ramos escaped and stuck’em.
Lee was up 7-5. Ramos tossed him so would have been up in points 11-7 if he didn’t stick him. I would of bet my house lee was gonna win his 4th

Lee was up 7-5. Ramos tossed him so would have been up in points 11-7 if he didn’t stick him. I would of bet my house lee was gonna win his 4th
Lee is obviously a legend and he was certainly favored in the bracket but I always thought him losing was more possible than Brooks or Starocci losing.

Thanks for sharing and I’m glad he’s looking to shake things up a bit.
Rutgers wrestling came up one win short of its goal of crowning an All-American. Dean Peterson dropped a 3-1 decision to Anthony Noto of Lock Haven in the blood round. Coach Scott Goodale said "we may need a little bit of an overhaul. Not a total overhaul, but we got to get better."

Read more here:

Rutgers wrestling falls short of stated goal but coach vows to rebuild
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2023/03/...of-stated-goal-but-coach-vows-to-rebuild.html

Hopefully the weights shake out and Peterson, Shawver, Olivieri, Soldano, Poz are all in the lineup next year. Couple that with NQs in White, Clark and Boone and try and snag a transfer at 165 and the team should be better next year.
Right on cue: battle cry stage...

"Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning."

Right on cue: battle cry stage...

"Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning."
I fail to see where the manic stage of enthusiasm occurred. Most had tempered expectations and some knew we wouldn't be a good team. Except for a couple cheerleaders (same every year) squawking how great these guys look, Again, I fail to see where your mantra (which you endlessly post) materialized. Hell preseason, I even said I didn’t think we would be very good, that we had way too many question marks and no proven commodities. I got ripped by the cheerleaders for that one.

Last edited:
I fail to see where the manic stage of enthusiasm occurred. Most had tempered expectations and some knew we wouldn't be a good team. Except for a couple cheerleaders (same every year) squawking how great these guys look, Again, I fail to see where your mantra (which you endlessly post) materialized. Hell preseason, I even said we wouldn't be good, that we had way too many question marks and no proven commodities. I got ripped by the cheerleaders for that one.
Just ignore that idiot. He posted a vague prediction about how at the end of the season we will be talking about next season as if that’s some sort of groundbreaking revelation. He is only here to bait people into arguments and then he’ll stand on his high horse about how much smarter he is than everyone. He’s a Penn state troll

My favorite thing he posted recently is how he said he’s been watching this team closely for years. Keep in mind a few months ago he asked why Rutgers doesn’t stream their wrestling matches.

Disappointing season, but coaches, fans and wrestlers learned a lot about where the team stands. Goodale's interview post Dean's bloodround match said a lot. They know they need to get better. Rutgers definitely needs some transfers; I hope RU can attract the talent.

- I'd like to see Shawver at 133 next year if Heilman is out.
- Turley picked it up at the end. If he has a solid off-season then I can see him make a 2020 run
-Boone will be bigger and better
-Poz! Can't wait to see him.
-Soldano's turn to get stronger
-Do we land a Ferrari or 3? They would get instantly much tougher. Those kids work hard. Yeah, I know there's some drama or even legal issues, but they would be great at RU. At the very least, I hope the youngest commits.
-Hermes is going to have some solid partners.
-Clark & Oliveri will be better.
- Not sure where we stand at 49, 65 and 97

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I fail to see where the manic stage of enthusiasm occurred. Most had tempered expectations and some knew we wouldn't be a good team. Except for a couple cheerleaders (same every year) squawking how great these guys look, Again, I fail to see where your mantra (which you endlessly post) materialized. Hell preseason, I even said we wouldn't be very good, that we had way too many question marks and no proven commodities. I got ripped by the cheerleaders for that one.
To different degrees and not everyone. The cheerleaders can be counted on to follow the script, but with muted WTF. It was only after seeing this play out for several years that I documented it. The ones that get the most upset about seeing it are the cast of characters. If only they could point to a season where it didn't happen... Remember the WTF stage play out recently? The reconciliation (by the cheerleaders) started prematurely a couple or few days ago.

I too hope next year will be better. I'd be more confident about it if it ever played out.

Disappointing season, but coaches, fans and wrestlers learned a lot about where the team stands. Goodale's interview post Dean's bloodround match said a lot. They know they need to get better. Rutgers definitely needs some transfers; I hope RU can attract the talent.

- I'd like to see Shawver at 133 next year if Heilman is out.
- Turley picked it up at the end. If he has a solid off-season then I can see him make a 2020 run
-Boone will be bigger and better
-Poz! Can't wait to see him.
-Soldano's turn to get stronger
-Do we land a Ferrari or 3? They would get instantly much tougher. Those kids work hard. Yeah, I know there's some drama or even legal issues, but they would be great at RU. At the very least, I hope the youngest commits.
-Hermes is going to have some solid partners.
-Clark & Oliveri will be better.
- Not sure where we stand at 49, 65 and 97
You would take the youngest Ferrari but the older two you need to avoid like the plague. They will never wrestle again.

ADVERTISEMENT