ADVERTISEMENT

No. 23 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 14 Northwestern Sunday on BTN

My God if there's a way to lose a match, Kanniard will find it.

Great 6 minutes from Kanniard but he is the king of dumb/silly mistakes and absolutely tanking a match.

Reactions: biker7766
Turley can't even defend himself. This is getting really bad.

Don’t remember RU ever being shut out since joining the B1G.

Losing 7 of 7 to NU? I know I’m negative and NW is ranked, but this isn’t PSU or IOWA.

Soldano’s opponent is sub .500 so this should break the shutout.

Last edited:
This is probably the worse matchup team we could face on our schedule other than PSU. Some of you posters really crack me up. RU is a very young team that is currently and has been competitive against very good talent. Give them a chance. Only one tourn matters and it is in March. RELAX!!!!
True that the only tournament that matters in March.
Do you think we will have any AA? I can't see one.

No shame in losing to the 4th ranked wrestler, but a fitting end to a crappy Sunday.

Did you ever think AP is soph year would AA. I sure you know who I am. I see a lot more positives with this group of young wrestlers. So anything is possible. I potentially see 125, 133 and 141 having a potential. Maybe 184.
I hope you are right. Currently I don't see any of our guys out wrestling their seed significantly, which I think they will have to do to AA.

Don’t spend too much time with whoever this person is. That’s what this poster is looking for. I just did it to say it’s basically funny.
The poster is Sammy Alvarez. I'm just not sure why hes wasting time on this board when he's out in Stillwater trying to make weight at 141.

The poster is Sammy Alvarez. I'm just not sure why hes wasting time on this board when he's out in Stillwater trying to make weight at 141.
…and Oklahoma State had a match this afternoon as well. They lost today too.

All the people that want Goodale gone are the same people who want to know why we couldn’t hire a prolific big man coach. Do you think there’s a long line of highly qualified coaches that are better than Goodale lining up to come here? If not Goodale, then who? Burroughs is the only name that makes any real sense but he also has no experience. Ashnault is still wrestling so he’s not an option.

Was at the match. Definitely could have been more lively. Can't imagine why we couldn't work w the big ten to figure out matches NOT during the playoffs. But still a damn good showing despite the championship games imo.

I said they were strong where we are strong. They showed up and won the key matches. Props to northwestern.

With that said, there's a lot of season left. I am still pumped to see where we can go with this young squad.

I might sound like one of the "homers" everyone talks about but I have expectations for the team too. I want us to win these matches. I'm always going to frame things as an opportunity for us.

Feb 10 is Penn state. Can't wait to go. Would love to meet up with a bunch of people from the forums if they want. Tonight I met with a handful of families of the current guys and some of the former wrestlers. It's always great to chat w people who love and know the sport. Go RU

Reactions: runrutgersrun
When we joined the B10 in 2014 we would routinely dominate NW, MS, Indiana, Purdue and MD in wrestling. It seems that they've progressed and we've regressed since then. I don't know enough technically to fix the problem but I can tell (just by watching today's match) that our guys were overwhelmed by the strength and endurance of NW wrestlers - exception DP he would have won if the match was 5 seconds longer, Andrew Clark, Soldano and Janzer.

I don't think anyone here expects us to beat PSU, Iowa, Michigan on a regular basis, but it does seem that we should be able to compete with the next tier of 7-20 teams in the country considering the recruiting possibilities.

I'm just wondering how to improve wrestling here - we are one of the top 3 or 4 states for HS wrestling.

I'm typically a poster for MBB so I've seen the possibilities for a program that was in the dumps 7 years ago. We're building from a much better foundation with wrestling.

I understand the comments about this being a dual meet, and I realize that all that really matters is March, but following up on SoCal-Knight's post a couple minutes ago: Northwestern has also done very well in March the past couple years, they've posted back to back top 10s in the NCAA tournament, including 6th last year. We seem to be squarely in their rear view mirror right now.

As far as the only thing that matters is the NCAA's in March, tell that to the fans that spent their money and football Sunday watching RU almost get shut out at home by a historically no name wrestling school. Also, saying the only thing that matters is March implies that we actually have a chance of some All Americans this year. I will be shocked if we even get one AA this year. A Big 10 school in the powerhouse wrestling state of NJ with the facilities that RU has should be perennial top 10 team with multiple AA's. Enough excuses already.

I think there is a path to victory. Tonight Northwestern wrestles Wisconsin and then must fly from Chicago to New Jersey for Sunday's match. It not an easy turn around.

While they are favored at 125 and 133, both of their guys experienced a couple of bad losses this year. Our guys are tough and may surprise. Peterson has a good chance and Heilmann will fight like hell. Olivieri is better than Tal-Shahar who has a losing record at 141. Could be a major for us. White needs to avoid a major at 149.
I was way-off on my thinking. The team has not progressed and the mental errors our guys made should not have happened with only three matches remaining in the season While it hurts, we need to face reality and make the changes that are necessary to get us back on track.

It’s an up year for Northwesten and a down year for Rutgers.

We hung tough with Michigan, beat MSU and got mauled by Ohio State. The only real head scratcher was Indiana and we had to do it without Boone and we had a 9 point swing with an injury default at 165. I’m not making excuses but what were we expecting this year?

Progress over the long term is filled with ups, downs, and plateaus. I’m still not ready to stay were trending downwards. A bad March showing and a bad season next year and maybe there will be a problem. Don’t think we’re there just yet.

Maybe the guy doing the hiring is the reason we couldn't hire a big man coach.
I don’t know the reason but I’d find it incredibly odd that former national champ Donny Pritzlaff would join the staff, and then elect to stay on staff instead of taking the head job at Wisconsin, but other coaches would refuse to come because of the guy in charge.

ADVERTISEMENT