ADVERTISEMENT

No. 23 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 14 Northwestern Sunday on BTN

They have a tough lineup. Strong where we are strong. This is going to be a big test for the team.

They have a tough lineup. Strong where we are strong. This is going to be a big test for the team.
I don’t think we have much of a chance. Need to win matches and most of them are toss ups at best.

We had a much better shot to upset Michigan then we do NW.. we are only favored at 184.. we would need to “upset” 125, 133, 141, 174.. while outbonusing them somehow.. witout Boone too..

Reactions: elvis7 and SCNJ
I don’t think we have much of a chance. Need to win matches and most of them are toss ups at best.

We had a much better shot to upset Michigan then we do NW.. we are only favored at 184.. we would need to “upset” 125, 133, 141, 174.. while outbonusing them somehow.. witout Boone too..
Yup, on paper not a great match up for us.

But I always frame it differently - we have an absolutely outstanding opportunity in front of us. Lots of room for our best guys to get great wins and move up those rankings.

My giants are done and I can't wait to get there early Sunday and hang out before the match. I hope the RAC is packed.

I think there is a path to victory. Tonight Northwestern wrestles Wisconsin and then must fly from Chicago to New Jersey for Sunday's match. It not an easy turn around.

While they are favored at 125 and 133, both of their guys experienced a couple of bad losses this year. Our guys are tough and may surprise. Peterson has a good chance and Heilmann will fight like hell. Olivieri is better than Tal-Shahar who has a losing record at 141. Could be a major for us. White needs to avoid a major at 149.

157 and 165 are bad matchups for us and we will likely lose. If Fisher is still out, Turley should get a major. Their backup is 4 and 10. Otherwise, I favor Fisher. Soldano pinned the Northwestern starter in December and should at least get a major.

It is probably too much to hope for that Janzer wins. But, he is improving. A lot may depend upon who we wrestled against Davison who is 13 and 2 and probably the 4th or 5th best heavyweight.

125 3-0
133 3-3
141 7-3
149 7-6
157 7-10
165 7-13
174 11-13
184 16-13
197 16-16
UNL 16-21

If we can win the 125, 133, and 141, and the backup wrestles at 174 we will upset Northwestern. Not impossible.

I think there is a path to victory. Tonight Northwestern wrestles Wisconsin and then must fly from Chicago to New Jersey for Sunday's match. It not an easy turn around.

While they are favored at 125 and 133, both of their guys experienced a couple of bad losses this year. Our guys are tough and may surprise. Peterson has a good chance and Heilmann will fight like hell. Olivieri is better than Tal-Shahar who has a losing record at 141. Could be a major for us. White needs to avoid a major at 149.

157 and 165 are bad matchups for us and we will likely lose. If Fisher is still out, Turley should get a major. Their backup is 4 and 10. Otherwise, I favor Fisher. Soldano pinned the Northwestern starter in December and should at least get a major.

It is probably too much to hope for that Janzer wins. But, he is improving. A lot may depend upon who we wrestled against Davison who is 13 and 2 and probably the 4th or 5th best heavyweight.

125 3-0
133 3-3
141 7-3
149 7-6
157 7-10
165 7-13
174 11-13
184 16-13
197 16-16
UNL 16-21

If we can win the 125, 133, and 141, and the backup wrestles at 174 we will upset Northwestern. Not impossible.
Have to win all those toss-ups. They have to wrestle inspired like last weekend.

As mentioned by others, Northwestern is a tuff team and in a lot of weights strength vs strength. Maybe the home mat will push a few toss ups our way...Tall order to win dual.
125-Peterson dec 3-2(Dean needs a win over a high ranking wrestler to become more of an AA threat) 3-0 RU
133-Cannon dec Heilman 5-3....Hoping Heilman and crowd can pull the upset 3-3
141-Olivieri dec 9-3....need an Olivieri cradle for a fall RU 6-3
149 YaYa too much for White 8-3 6-6
157 Chumbley dec Clark 6-3 Clark has been super close to pulling an upset, need it here for a chance at dual NU 9-6
165-Mayfield dec O'Neill 7-3 If Kannaird, possible upset. NU 12-6
174- Turley dec Fisher 7-5 Fisher wrestled his first match Friday night since Midlands, does he go again? IF backup goes Turley beat him at Midlands 10-7...this time he could bonus him. NU 12-9
184-Soldano dec Halvorsen 7-3. Halvorsen is pretty stingy with points. Hoping for a homerun for Soldano 12-12
197-Janzer dec Davison 3-2 Liked the way Janzer wrestled against Mich St need him here RU-15-12
Hwt-Davison pin Epperly-Can Epperly fight off a bonus point win? Tuff ask against Davison. NU-18-15

Reactions: dollarbill
Need to finish the period on top and give up escapes with 10 seconds left.

Goodale did good job of building it but time to move on to someone who can take to next level. Program is stale - no juice, recruiting down. Cant live on past accomplishments. Rip away
Quite a leap after 2 matches in which our guys both lost close matches to higher ranked guys (who were both AAs last year) but whatever.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Quite a leap after 2 matches in which our guys both lost close matches to higher ranked guys (who were both AAs last year) but whatever.
Guys dont listen to him anymore. Zero offense from anyone. This isnt just about today. Its fine. Im willing to take the heat. Im here now and support the program. So far zero to cheer for.

Place is rocking. Lol

Zero takedowns through 4 matches.

Why can NW throw out AA after AA and ranked guy after ranked guy? Better facilities? Better resources? No and No.
So whats the X factor or difference?

Last edited:
I get it but NW is a terrible matchup for us. They are stronger everywhere where we are strong. If we lose to Maryland, we can start to have that conversation.

Last edited:
These are duals. This was not a great matchup for our 3 lower Wts. NW came to wrestle. All this does is impact BIG seeding. I am sure all 3 Qualify for the NCAAs. Then this match’s don’t matter (with the exception of seeding). It’s all about March.

They look stronger at every weight so far. Or is this just my perspective?
They are but it’s not like our guys are losing to random scrubs. They have 3 AAs in the 1st 4 weights and the other guys is ranked #10/11

Place is absolutely silent. You could hear a pin drop. I think I'm going to stay home for the psu match. Although, the restaurant was nice that we watched the basketball game at. So at least the day wasn't a complete loss.

Place is absolutely silent. You could hear a pin drop. I think I'm going to stay home for the psu match. Although, the restaurant was nice that we watched the basketball game at. So at least the day wasn't a complete loss.
This is absolute domination. Like a 49-0 FB shutout, 20-0 Baseball loss. Nothing to cheer for. Everyone wants to so bad.

But yeah, lets all be happy with this. Dont mean you specifically Kolesar. Glad im spending my hard earned $ on this

Reactions: biker7766
This is probably the worse matchup team we could face on our schedule other than PSU. Some of you posters really crack me up. RU is a very young team that is currently and has been competitive against very good talent. Give them a chance. Only one tourn matters and it is in March. RELAX!!!!

Reactions: biker7766
This is probably the worse matchup team we could face on our schedule other than PSU. Some of you posters really crack me up. RU is a very young team that is currently and has been competitive against very good talent. Give them a chance. Only one tourn matters and it is in March. RELAX!!!!
Grap, we dont have 1 takedown in 5 matches? Im ok with losing, i had no expectations on winning but how about some fight, at least Clark gave some fight in 3rd but this is complete domination.

Don't waste your breath ...these guys can't help themselves.....

Can someone explain why the take down at the end of the 125 match was not awarded to Pedersen?

• Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT