ADVERTISEMENT

No. 13 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 9 Minnesota Saturday

Yup exactly.. then you bang everyone for 30 bucks to park and attendance will continue to drop.
And ofc no big wins at home.. we don’t care bout crushing no name teams but every time, “on paper”, we got a chance to upset.. we always seem to fail lately.. it’s like a home field disadvantage ofc attendance will continue to drop.. $30 park lol

This is Rutgers though. A lot of fans and admin are satisfied with mediocrity. Any talk of taking a program to the next level to compete with the big boys ruffles a lot of feathers.
I dont know...I can't imagine the major wrestling supporters are too happy with the past few years...the trend lines are very concerning

Reactions: DUForever
At least we having getting absolutely smoked by tOSU and PSU in next two weeks to look forward to.

Reactions: biazza38
Any talks of bringing program to next lvl always ends up in shell out more money .. put $$ in ur mouth talks..
I doubt Minnesota has more money than Rutgers. They’ve a very deep team and in most weights bigger, stronger, and in better shape.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Terrible analogy
We are 0-53-1 vs the big 5. Time for a change. Goodale is a good guy and has brought program far, time to move on. Coaching changes happen everywhere. Seems like everyone takes it so personal with him. Every year same thing close but no cigar.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Didn't watch the match, only saw the final score on SK.com and the following:

"8 of 10 bouts were decided by 3 points or less"

...to know exactly what happened. Or, at least, "assume" what happened based on the past:

we lost multiple bouts in the final 30-seconds???

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Imagine a program not being able to build off of a year, where they had 2 National Champs, a Top 10 Finish, the Coach of the Year, and getting tons of exposure. The window has clearly closed on Goodale and crew.
Yup it’s over. If he stays we’ll be around a top 20 program every year. If everyone is happy with that then so be it.

Didn't watch the match, only saw the final score on SK.com and the following:

"8 of 10 bouts were decided by 3 points or less"

...to know exactly what happened. Or, at least, "assume" what happened based on the past:

we lost multiple bouts in the final 30-seconds???
Main losses that stings are Poz, Shawver losing and Soldano losing Minn’s backup… like last year, we might really come away with no AA this year…

Reactions: RULegacy
Hard to win a dual with these holes at 57 and 65
Hard to win a dual when those expected to win cant get a win either.
This team has no killer instinct unfortunately. It's sad to see. We'll never be a real threat to anyone.
This exactly. I'll add strength, conditioning, execution and match awareness to the mix. How many shots are we going to take without a takedown? Then give up a takedown on their one and only shot. How many last second points did we pretty much hand to them? Today was a shit show. Granted the refs did not help or even call a fair match, but Minnesota made us look silly...and we still had opportunities to win the match.

Reactions: koleszar
Hitting the point as an RU fan to be indifferent to wins and losses. Expect bad teams to stink and our best teams to be .500 in conference. No hope for a B1G conference title in any sport.

Don’t get me wrong I like Goodale and think he has done a great job. But if you are going to be campaigning and banging the table, not only to program supporters at Rutgers, but nationally regarding the importance of dual meets. You better be winning these dual meets.

Don’t get me wrong I like Goodale and think he has done a great job. But if you are going to be campaigning and banging the table, not only to program supporters at Rutgers, but nationally regarding the importance of dual meets. You better be winning these dual meets.
As long as we get to wrestle duals against edinboro or rider we’ll be ok.

Exactly. He looks like an idiot now. Gophers didn't even bring their best wrestler and the team still lost.

Hard to win a dual when those expected to win cant get a win either.

This exactly. I'll add strength, conditioning, execution and match awareness to the mix. How many shots are we going to take without a takedown? Then give up a takedown on their one and only shot. How many last second points did we pretty much hand to them? Today was a shit show. Granted the refs did not help or even call a fair match, but Minnesota made us look silly...and we still had opportunities to win the match.
When was the last dual upset win we've recorded in the B1G? Nebraska in 2015? That was NINE years ago. Crowd was only 3500 today for a Saturday dual vs a name B1G opponent. Attendance is going to continue to decline if this team continues to choke in big matches vs teams like VT or Minnesota. Both were winnable duals.

Imagine a program not being able to build off of a year, where they had 2 National Champs, a Top 10 Finish, the Coach of the Year, and getting tons of exposure. The window has clearly closed on Goodale and crew.
Wasn’t there some sort of global pandemic

When was the last dual upset win we've recorded in the B1G? Nebraska in 2015? That was NINE years ago. Crowd was only 3500 today for a Saturday dual vs a name B1G opponent. Attendance is going to continue to decline if this team continues to choke in big matches vs teams like VT or Minnesota. Both were winnable duals.
Attendance is going to decline everywhere except probably Penn St until the sport makes duals important

I think it's notable that our 2 best wrestlers today were 2 of the hired guns we brought in. It makes me wonder why these guys can consistently finish but the majority of the rest of the team can't.

Yup the stale results and the parking price are driving casual fans away.

I was at the dual today and sitting close to the mat. It’s amazing what you can see and hear, as well as “feel”, being close. The Minnesota team, including the coaches, came ready for an old style NJ street fight. It showed in every bout and seemingly influenced many official decisions. A lot of Gopher coach chirping aimed at the officials and our staff throughout the dual.

That said the lead ref today was a disgrace. In the 285 bout we saw that a Minnesota wrestler doing a Road Runner impression could not get tagged for a stall. A Rutgers guy struggling under a ride gets banged for stalling in rapid fire order. The second ref seemed to spend the day looking for the bathroom. He sure wasn’t involved in the match.

A very frustrating and highly disappointing afternoon to put it mildly.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Ok, I normally wait a day or two after a tough loss to post. But for some reason this loss hit harder today, as I thought we would win. Yes I thought it would be close, but as the match played out, I felt we should have won today. From the NJ com article "No. 9 Minnesota rode two upperweight upsets to ward off what should have been a golden opportunity for Rutgers to pick up its first win against a top-10 opponent in five seasons and potentially end a winless streak against The Big Five that has boiled to an ugly 0-53-1 overall record and 0-31 mark since joining the conference for the 2014-2015 season.” I do not expect to beat Penn State or Iowa in my lifetime, but the others we have had chances to beat. I also do not want to hear the excuse “donate” more money, because we were getting out wrestled and out recruited prior to the NIL. We have first class facilities, a big budget, our coaches are paid top tier and we are in a recruiting hot bed. I also understand that the two best programs in NJ-Blair and Delbarton are almost impossible to recruit to Rutgers due to the perception that RU is beneath them. So out of state recruiting is a must. One of the problems with our staff is “name recognition” outside of NJ. It is tuff sell when we have one coach on staff with AA and national champ credentials. Most top tier programs have multiple coaches on staff with AA or championship credentials.

I really like and support the current coaching staff and if the RU brass and majority of fans are happy to finish 15th to 25th each year than so be it. Maybe a new staff will have the same results. But I am starting to feel that the current staff has reached their peak which is 15 to 25th in rankings. People say we have a great recruiting class coming in, I say it is a “good” class. In my opinion Harer is the only “needle” mover, the others are all in the 40th to 100th range for class of 2024. They are very good wrestlers, but not they are not the high level recruits that can jump the program levels. They are the type that will keep us in the same range.

Just look at these schools outside of the Big10-Missouri, NC State, VA Tech-these 3 have been much better than RU in the last 10-15 years and really have below average HS wrestling in their states. We should be able to replicate these 3 teams most years.

Todays loss was on the wrestlers!! The pollyannas amd BS shillers can cry about cancel and fire culture all they want.... We lost 2 matches in SV... one with less than a second in regulation... Yes... I'm pissed about the results... But some of you are just ridiculous...

I doubt Minnesota has more money than Rutgers. They’ve a very deep team and in most weights bigger, stronger, and in better shape.
I'd be surprised if they didn't. They've been a top program for decades before we even bothered to support wrestling.
Crowd was only 3500 today for a Saturday dual vs a name B1G opponent. Attendance is going to continue to decline if this team continues to choke in big matches vs teams like VT or Minnesota.
Attendance had nothing to do with our past performances. Attendance was weak because it was a Sat afternoon during peak high school wrestling season, so everyone was at high school wrestling. You had at least 4 county tournaments (GMC, Morris, Mercer, Burlington) and then all of the normal duals, tris, quads. I asked a dozen or so people to take my tickets but everyone had wrestling. Why do you think Rutgers was pushing for more ticket sales all week? We shouldn't be wrestling on Sat and I commented on this when the schedule came out. Wrestle duals on Fri/Sun.

Todays loss was on the wrestlers!! The pollyannas amd BS shillers can cry about cancel and fire culture all they want.... We lost 2 matches in SV... one with less than a second in regulation... Yes... I'm pissed about the results... But some of you are just ridiculous...
It stings a lot more bc those 2 SV losses were from our most reliable wrestlers… not only that but what’s happened to Soldano.. he went from last year ..wow is he the next big thing can’t wait for him vs Munoz.. to ok we overestimated but at least he’s one of the brightest up n comers… to now he’s a one trick pony that’s too small n can’t beat backups…. He needs a RS bad… add this all up plus the fact we haven’t had an upset in a very very long time in winnable matches… n it adds up to the same story every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT