ADVERTISEMENT

No. 13 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 9 Minnesota Saturday

It stings a lot more bc those 2 SV losses were from our most reliable wrestlers… not only that but what’s happened to Soldano.. he went from last year ..wow is he the next big thing can’t wait for him vs Munoz.. to ok we overestimated but at least he’s one of the brightest up n comers… to now he’s a one trick pony that’s too small n can’t beat backups…. He needs a RS bad… add this all up plus the fact we haven’t had an upset in a very very long time in winnable matches… n it adds up to the same story every year.
Shawver was looking for the big move trying to get the team win.... Poz... Just maybe a lil gassed, rushed a half shot into a good counter.... That "back up" Soldano wrestled is a stud.... Who he shoulda beat... Had beat... Till the very last second.... Not like we weren't prepared.... Just didn't get it done.... Is that on coaching??? Or on the wrestlers not finishing???... Coaches job is to put their wrestlers in a position to succeed... At some point... Its on the wrestlers to do it!!!

Shawver was looking for the big move trying to get the team win.... Poz... Just maybe a lil gassed, rushed a half shot into a good counter.... That "back up" Soldano wrestled is a stud.... Who he shoulda beat... Had beat... Till the very last second.... Not like we weren't prepared.... Just didn't get it done.... Is that on coaching??? Or on the wrestlers not finishing???... Coaches job is to put their wrestlers in a position to succeed... At some point... Its on the wrestlers to do it!!!
Of course Poz should have been tired. He took about 6 or 7 full shots which he never converted while the Minny guy didn't really make a good attempt at a takedown until the winning score. That seemed to be the mantra for a few of the Minny guys. Let RU take the shots, tire out possibly and make one good attempt which was converted. It didn't help that the refs were God awful. RU blew a great opportunity this afternoon.

Of course Poz should have been tired. He took about 6 or 7 full shots which he never converted while the Minny guy didn't really make a good attempt at a takedown until the winning score. That seemed to be the mantra for a few of the Minny guys. Let RU take the shots, tire out possibly and make one good attempt which was converted. It didn't help that the refs were God awful. RU blew a great opportunity this afternoon.
But is that on coaching???? Or on the wrestlers for not finishing their attacks and allowing the crazy endings??? I'm sure Poz, Soldano, and Shawver would tell you who they blame....Guarantee it aint the coaches

Watched on BTN so I may have missed some of the action.

Peterson looked good and was aggressive with shooting for takedowns. He improved his stock. Moore won a toss-up match. Penn State and Ohio State will be a good gauge for his future..

Overall Minnesota came to wrestled. They appeared in much better shape that our guys. Some Rutgers coaching decisions need to be questioned.

Sodano taken down with less than 2 seconds on the clock, Did the coaches alert make Brian to the time remaining in the match? The kid Sodano wrestle is very good. But, a true freshman and a back-up to Salazar. Poz gets in on a leg multiple times and can't convert. Then, loses in OT to a 24th ranked kid, Shaver winning by 2 with riding time with 15 seconds to go and gets reversed. If he let him go, he would have won. What were the coaches telling him. Shaver gets taken down with 1 second left in first OT period. Did the coaches want Shaver to go for a throw and hopefully a pin to win the match. Instead Shaver lost to the 26th ranked kid. It will not help his seeding at the Big Tens.

By the way, who was the RU coach wearing a red shirt yelling and running all over the place. Not sure he was effective. He seemed to confuse our kids. Let the coaching to Goodale and Pritzlaff.

Looking forward, all is not lost. We have a great opportunity next week. Ohio State is at Penn State Friday night and must face us at 1 on Sunday. Hopefully, it snows and they have a long trip from State College. Plus Ohio State is wrestling a number of back-ups. Karachi at 174, and a former All American, is out of the season, Hoffman at 184 and a former All America, appears done for the season, Patty Gallagher at 157 who is 16 and 5 on the year has been replaced by 13 and 6 Isaac Wilcox, Not sure if Gallagher is done for the year.

Hope reigns eternal.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
But is that on coaching???? Or on the wrestlers for not finishing their attacks and allowing the crazy endings??? I'm sure Poz, Soldano, and Shawver would tell you who they blame....Guarantee it aint the coaches
At the end of the day it’s always on the wrestlers.. even if we got Hahn or Cael or the best coaches ever it’s not going to magically turn some of our guys into champs or even AA… it’s always on the wrestlers to dig deep..

But is that on coaching???? Or on the wrestlers for not finishing their attacks and allowing the crazy endings??? I'm sure Poz, Soldano, and Shawver would tell you who they blame....Guarantee it aint the coaches,'
Maybe you misconstrued. I wasn't disputing your post. The wrestlers are out on the mat and have to execute. They are the ones who need to be aware of the time on the clock and the score of the match. But, the coaches are the ones who are responsible for recruiting and preparing the wrestlers for matches. So there is responsibility from their side as well. We have very good wrestlers, but we are not getting the cream of the crop at this point. If the other teams have better recruits, better coaches, and better training partners (which some obviously do), our wrestlers will struggle against them. I was with a high profile, high school coach during the match. He was constantly pointing out how Minnesota looked stronger, smarter, better coached and wanted it more today. I wanted to argue and defend our wrestlers, but he was right.

Watched on BTN so I may have missed some of the action.

Peterson looked good and was aggressive with shooting for takedowns. He improved his stock. Moore won a toss-up match. Penn State and Ohio State will be a good gauge for his future..

Overall Minnesota came to wrestled. They appeared in much better shape that our guys. Some Rutgers coaching decisions need to be questioned.

Sodano taken down with less than 2 seconds on the clock, Did the coaches alert make Brian to the time remaining in the match? The kid Sodano wrestle is very good. But, a true freshman and a back-up to Salazar. Poz gets in on a leg multiple times and can't convert. Then, loses in OT to a 24th ranked kid, Shaver winning by 2 with riding time with 15 seconds to go and gets reversed. If he let him go, he would have won. What were the coaches telling him. Shaver gets taken down with 1 second left in first OT period. Did the coaches want Shaver to go for a throw and hopefully a pin to win the match. Instead Shaver lost to the 26th ranked kid. It will not help his seeding at the Big Tens.

By the way, who was the RU coach wearing a red shirt yelling and running all over the place. Not sure he was effective. He seemed to confuse our kids. Let the coaching to Goodale and Pritzlaff.

Looking forward, all is not lost. We have a great opportunity next week. Ohio State is at Penn State Friday night and must face us at 1 on Sunday. Hopefully, it snows and they have a long trip from State College. Plus Ohio State is wrestling a number of back-ups. Karachi at 174, and a former All American, is out of the season, Hoffman at 184 and a former All America, appears done for the season, Patty Gallagher at 157 who is 16 and 5 on the year has been replaced by 13 and 6 Isaac Wilcox, Not sure if Gallagher is done for the year.

Hope reigns eternal.
Don’t get our hopes up we are not beating Ohio state.. didn’t know Karchala got hurt bc the kid starting his spot is so good thought he actually beat Karchala for the spot.

l
Don’t get our hopes up we are not beating Ohio state.. didn’t know Karchala got hurt bc the kid starting his spot is so good thought he actually beat Karchala for the spot.
Yea Rocco Welch was a PA four time state finalist. He lost lastr night to Shane Griffith on riding time. If he chose neutral in 3rd, I think he would have won. Either way the kid is very good.

Normally I would agree with you but when you go 0-31 against the top 5 in conference you have to question coaches. It not just two individuals and some kind of anomaly. This dual was filled with close matches. Why was Minnesota wrestlers able to finish?

That guy was huge.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Normally I would agree with you but when you go 0-31 against the top 5 in conference you have to question coaches. It not just two individuals and some kind of anomaly. This dual was filled with close matches. Why was Minnesota wrestlers able to finish?
Not rocket science... They were better!!!! But bottom line.... The match was there.... The wrestlers were prepared... They didn't get it done today.... Kudos to the opponent.... But you can't look at any of the matches I highlighted and say that we didn't belong there....

Reactions: TRU2RU
I attended in person and this was my take away too. Rutgers attacked and pressed, Minnesota stalled and did nothing. Then, when Rutgers wore down, Minnesota had enough gas in the tank to get the job done in the end.

I don't like to complain about officiating, but the fact that Peterson who attacked and had 2 takedowns on McKee was nearly DQ'ed for bottom stalling was absurd while Minnesota stalled all day with no repercussions.

Last edited:
Another point on size. In almost every dual the Rutgers wrestlers are shorter and stockier than the opposing wrestlers. The Rutgers wrestlers have a difficult time getting to the legs of the longer and bigger guys. This is a problem for Peterson, Shawver, Moore, Soldano, and Poz primarily. Almost every Minnesota wrestler was longer and more chiseled than almost every Rutgers wrestler. That may say something about recruiting philosophy in terms of body types recruited. Something to think about.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Another point on size. In almost every dual the Rutgers wrestlers are shorter and stockier than the opposing wrestlers. The Rutgers wrestlers have a difficult time getting to the legs of the longer and bigger guys. This is a problem for Peterson, Shawver, Moore, Soldano, and Poz primarily. Almost every Minnesota wrestler was longer and more chiseled than almost every Rutgers wrestler. That may say something about recruiting philosophy in terms of body types recruited. Something to think about.
It would be interesting if someone did some stat analysis of all the top guys at their weight class what body type build they are.

Reactions: Leonard23
The problem is that the kids that are long, lanky and talented all end up elsewhere. We were talking about this too after the match. This is why I think many feel that if we had the NIL money to dangle, we would be getting these kinds of kids.

Like everyone else, I want to see this program get to the next level. Unlike most I don’t think I have all the answers. I’ve got thoughts but I’ve never run a d1 wrestling program so I’m not going to be a Monday morning quarterback and to pretend to have the answers. I know the athletes are working their ads off, and so is the staff, that’s the one thing I know for sure.

The problem is that the kids that are long, lanky and talented all end up elsewhere. We were talking about this too after the match. This is why I think many feel that if we had the NIL money to dangle, we would be getting these kinds of kids.
We didnt get them before and even if we had more money to throw at them, chances are we would be outbid by the bigger programs in my opinion.

Love Goody as he's done a great job bringing us up from the abyss
But it's time to move on

Has to be Hahn or Burroughs
It'll take money, but it needs to happen
Burroughs does not want to coach once he’s done competing and while Hahn is a great coach, why does everyone think it’s a forgone conclusion that’s he’s a better coach than Goodale?

Reactions: TRU2RU
We didnt get them before and even if we had more money to throw at them, chances are we would be outbid by the bigger programs in my opinion.
When we wrestle lanky teams everyone says we’re not lanky enough. When we wrestle stocky teams everyone says we’re not sticky enough. Just get good wrestlers and develop them.

Reactions: Peteras9144
Burroughs does not want to coach once he’s done competing and while Hahn is a great coach, why does everyone think it’s a forgone conclusion that’s he’s a better coach than Goodale?
We dont know but its a chance I think a lot are willing to take. Hes got s tremendous pedigree, NJ legend, great NCAA and Freestyle accolades, tons of asst experience in top school and now running a solid program in the middle of nowhere and putting a very competitive team out there.
Its Ok to say Goodale has done well but time to move on. Seems like everyone is so afraid trying to bring program to next level.

Reactions: mattiek
We dont know but its a chance I think a lot are willing to take. Hes got s tremendous pedigree, NJ legend, great NCAA and Freestyle accolades, tons of asst experience in top school and now running a solid program in the middle of nowhere and putting a very competitive team out there.
Its Ok to say Goodale has done well but time to move on. Seems like everyone is so afraid trying to bring program to next level.
To add to this, he’s winning at South Dakota State AND keeping it closer against BIG10 competition than we are. Not to mention his only 2 loses on the season are to B10 teams that, if I’m being real, we probably don’t beat either. It’d be very interesting to see what he could do with B10 money and RU’s facilities. What kind of connections he could bring not only for NIL but assistant coaches and the wrestling club team members as well. Hell, even the Patriots are moving on from Belichik. Not talking any kind of sh*t on Goodale because he brought this program back but I agree that this is probably his ceiling. Let’s be a top 5 in the B10 program where a NJ D1 program should be.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Not sure if it has been brought up before (sure it has), but I noticed that we have significantly more duel matches compared to the other B1G programs with the exception of OSU.

I’m sure that might help with weight management (forces the guys to stay close to weight), but maybe that also has a lasting effect/toll compared to the other team’s bodies being fresher/stronger because they aren’t sucking down as long or as much.

Just interested to hear other people’s takes on it and the pros/cons.

Last edited:
When we wrestle lanky teams everyone says we’re not lanky enough. When we wrestle stocky teams everyone says we’re not sticky enough. Just get good wrestlers and develop them.
This is why I’m really curious what body type most of the elite wrestlers are for their weight.. let’s just start wit flo’s p4p guys.. r most of them lanky, stocky, or medium build to u guys?

Not sure if it has been brought up before (sure it has), but I noticed that we have significantly more duel matches compared to the other B1G programs with the exception of OSU.

I’m sure that might help with weight management (forces the guys to stay close to weight), but maybe that also has a lasting effect/toll compared to the other team’s bodies being fresher/stronger because they aren’t sucking down as long or as much.

Just interested to hear other people’s takes on it and the pros/cons.
Really feels like even not too long ago everyone had a lot more matches…. Looking at the recent PSU blue print though, seems like their game plan is to wrestle as little as possible and try to get as many guys healthy to national tournament as possible… and why not as our sport is essentially built around one weekend.. not great for the fans but this strategy is probably a smart idea.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
To add to this, he’s winning at South Dakota State AND keeping it closer against BIG10 competition than we are. Not to mention his only 2 loses on the season are to B10 teams that, if I’m being real, we probably don’t beat either. It’d be very interesting to see what he could do with B10 money and RU’s facilities. What kind of connections he could bring not only for NIL but assistant coaches and the wrestling club team members as well. Hell, even the Patriots are moving on from Belichik. Not talking any kind of sh*t on Goodale because he brought this program back but I agree that this is probably his ceiling. Let’s be a top 5 in the B10 program where a NJ D1 program should be.
Goodale definitely has in the 17 seasons…. Now with this being the 10th in the B1G the question is how many more years to see if we can take the next step? 2? 5? Is 10 enough of a chance?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I haven't heard Burroughs does not want to coach
We know what Goody can bring; we don't know what Hahn can do at this level
With the potential we have and DH's pedigree, it's a chance I'd be willing to take 100 times out of 100

There are a few things wrong with this discussion. First, no one here, or even collectively, has any decision-making ability to replace a coach or hire one. That decision can not be taken lightly since it has other repercussions. Many people think Donnie would be next in line. If such a consideration to change coaching would occur, I don't believe much would be accomplished by elevating an assistant that has been part of the current program. Hiring an outsider might alienate Donnie, requiring additional hires. Whether or not any of this would be considered, I wouldn't be confident of Rutgers' ability to make good hires. From what I have observed in the past and using football as an example, Rutgers has shopped coaches from the bargain bin. Looking back as far as Anderson, it has always been another program's assistant and never an accomplished head coach. You get what you pay for. Picking a high school coach for wrestling is another example, and elevating Donnie would be yet another.

I do agree that Hahn would be an excellent choice if this were to happen, but how does anyone know that he would be interested? Recently, Rutgers couldn't attract an outside assistant to fill Asnault's vacancy. Honestly, Donnie's accomplishments are similar to Hahn's, with state championships, national championships, etc. However, Hahn has garnered more (better) coaching experience, having been with Cornell and now as a head coach. Also, as I said, Donnie is tainted by the current program. I would have to believe if he had more to offer as a head coach, he would have already demonstrated it as an assistant. Too much risk of extending the status quo by advancing an in-house coach. I'm sure I will get some girlie giggles from the giggle twins (or triplets).

Reactions: mattiek
This is why I’m really curious what body type most of the elite wrestlers are for their weight.. let’s just start wit flo’s p4p guys.. r most of them lanky, stocky, or medium build to u guys?
I doubt there’s any correlation. A guy with one leg won a national title once. Good wrestlers who develop will always beat good wrestlers that don’t develop and mediocre wrestlers who do develop.

The body size thing is something I don’t really subscribe to. Kyle Snyder was a tiny heavyweight who ran through everyone. Anthony White has one of the bigger frames on our team and is average at best. If you’re good you’re good. If you’re bad you’re bad.

I haven't heard Burroughs does not want to coach
We know what Goody can bring; we don't know what Hahn can do at this level
With the potential we have and DH's pedigree, it's a chance I'd be willing to take 100 times out of 100
Ok then say Rutgers fires Goodale, offers Hahn the job and he says no thanks. Then what? Some of you guys live in a fantasy world.

Burroughs has said in the past he doesn’t want to coach. A couple years ago Flo wrote an article about how good young coaches don’t grow on trees because a lot of the top wrestlers of the last 20 years in general don’t have much interest coaching because of the numerous other career paths available instead. MMA, WWE, broadcasting, social media, etc.

Last edited:
Wrestling is definitely one of the harder sports to develop guys but RU has not done well developing their wrestlers. Not sure how that improves with the current coaching staff but the reason I am making that point is because when you look at what Hahn has done with pretty much an all development type roster it’s very impressive. Probably a pipe dream like others have mentioned because who knows if he’d even give RU a sniff.

• Haha
Wrestling is definitely one of the harder sports to develop guys but RU has not done well developing their wrestlers. Not sure how that improves with the current coaching staff but the reason I am making that point is because when you look at what Hahn has done with pretty much an all development type roster it’s very impressive. Probably a pipe dream like others have mentioned because who knows if he’d even give RU a sniff.
This is a tired argument that gets recycled after every loss. Rutgers has developed plenty of guys. In this current lineup, Peterson, Shawver, and Poz are 3 of the top 4 wrestlers, all home grown and 1 of which from out of state. Turley is a former AA, another home grown guy and from out of state.

Guys like Yara and Moore (and Butler I supposed) are here because they feel Rutgers is the place to get them over the hump, just as we most recently did with Bulsak. I won’t even lump Rivera and Suriano into that mix.

The development can be improved. The recruiting can be improved. The wrestling can be improved. I don’t know who is out there that can do a better job than what Goodale is doing. The names that get thrown out there are guys that already have jobs and I don’t know why they’d leave.

This is a tired argument that gets recycled after every loss. Rutgers has developed plenty of guys. In this current lineup, Peterson, Shawver, and Poz are 3 of the top 4 wrestlers, all home grown and 1 of which from out of state. Turley is a former AA, another home grown guy and from out of state.

Guys like Yara and Moore (and Butler I supposed) are here because they feel Rutgers is the place to get them over the hump, just as we most recently did with Bulsak. I won’t even lump Rivera and Suriano into that mix.

The development can be improved. The recruiting can be improved. The wrestling can be improved. I don’t know who is out there that can do a better job than what Goodale is doing. The names that get thrown out there are guys that already have jobs and I don’t know why they’d leave.
The way I’m looking at it is that these guys have lived up to their potential, nothing more. They came in with the expectation that they’d be ranked wrestlers and anything less than that is a let down. I’m not sure if I can name a wrestler we’ve had that has been coached up and exceeded their expectations as a recruit except maybe Turley. The way you do that is not only with your coaching staff but the club wrestlers you have in your room which, let’s be honest with ourselves here, Rutgers is SEVERELY lacking in. I think people transfer here because they’ll start in our lineup and they get the chance to wrestle against the best of the best and test themselves. Not because they think our staff will get more out of them. You don’t have to agree with me but I’m trying to take a very unbiased view at the current state of the program. If you think we’ve improved as a program since 2020 I’d like to see the facts that back that up and I’ll step back and agree.

You guys incessantly calling for Goodys job are a joke...we are a 15-20 program with a 15-20 wallet ...it takes top 3 money to get the top 3-5 kids either out of high school or top portal guys ...real top 3 money which you cheapskates don't contribute yet you come here after every loss and bitch about Goody and the programs lack of results ...you get what you pay for ..what kid on our roster was a top 3 in the country kid ...no less the top kid out of high school which the Penn States and Iowas get to work with...which portal kid did we get who is a top 3 pick ..none ...we don't have that rep as a wrestling powerhouse like the top schools do so shut the hell up or pony up ...it's that simple . We were nothing before Goody. ....yea keep crying like little girls about his ceiling ...how about raising your donation ceiling to give him more to work with ...I guarantee you guys won't do that ..you rather bitch and cry here .

Last edited:
The way I’m looking at it is that these guys have lived up to their potential, nothing more. They came in with the expectation that they’d be ranked wrestlers and anything less than that is a let down. I’m not sure if I can name a wrestler we’ve had that has been coached up and exceeded their expectations as a recruit except maybe Turley. The way you do that is not only with your coaching staff but the club wrestlers you have in your room which, let’s be honest with ourselves here, Rutgers is SEVERELY lacking in. I think people transfer here because they’ll start in our lineup and they get the chance to wrestle against the best of the best and test themselves. Not because they think our staff will get more out of them. You don’t have to agree with me but I’m trying to take a very unbiased view at the current state of the program. If you think we’ve improved as a program since 2020 I’d like to see the facts that back that up and I’ll step back and agree.
On the current roster alone, I’d argue that Shawver, Cetta, DeSantis, SCW, and Britton are the top 5 in terms of outperforming expectations. If you want to take it back further, Clark and White were NQ’s despite not being highly recruited, the VanBrills were quality big 10 starters despite not being top recruits, then you have the Perrotti and Theobold stories and Jordan Pagano could have been an AA if not for the covid year.

We’ve had plenty of guys outperform expectations. Almost no recruit at any school goes from no name recruit to national champ.

How about bringing donation level higher ...you bitch and whine after every loss ...ya want a top 5 program with your 15-20 level wallet ..calling for a man's job incessantly ..your the biggest whiner here ..it gets old ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT