ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Rebounding

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
Offensive rebounding got Baylor off to its fast start. It allowed its shooters to take more shots and get in the groove. It created a psychological let down for the Zags every time they thought they’d stopped Baylor.
Go back to the last 10 seconds of the Gonzaga - UCLA game Juzang drives the the basket,but the defender is square in front of him and he misses. The defender relaxes and wanders away. He literally goes to a no man’s land area where he is not boxing out or contesting. The only rebound he would get is the 1% that would go long off a layup. Juzang gets his own rebound and ties up the game. Suggs bails them out with an incredible shot, but that was a sign of a team that hasn’t had to work hard on the defensive glass.
Love to see Pikes emphasize rebounding more like the 19-20 team in ‘21-‘22. If you can rebound you’re never out of the game and it can help you win on a poor shooting night. It’s really a question of emphasis, effort, and attention.

I agree. Unfortunately the roster has no offensive rebounders on it.

perhaps we need to be better conditioned or turn the roster over

Baylor had 7 guys over 8%

we had Myles Duke and Jonea

Paulicap would help.

If Rutgers had better shooters ,there wouldn't be such a dire need for offensive rebounds.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Alternatively. Maybe our OREB isn’t that bad. We have a decent amount of failed OREB from missed FTs. It isn’t expected that you rebound a missed FT at the same rate as a missed FG.

On 3rd thought with the anti Rutgers bias from Bo, Courtney, and DJ and co. We never go to the line so although we miss whenever we go to the line numbers are small.

My message to non shot makers Caleb and Paul M. and others, "if you wanna get minutes go grab some offensive rebounds"....like Mike Williams did at 6'2".

Reactions: rubaseball78

Harrar was the nation’s 11th best offensive rebounder(44th overall) last year but you don’t like him LOLOL!!!

My message to non shot makers Caleb and Paul M. and others, "if you wanna get minutes go grab some offensive rebounds"....like Mike Williams did at 6'2".

Didn’t Mulcahy have the highest shooting percentage from 3? Plus he was a very good rebounder. I’d like to see Ron do a better job shooting and offensive rebounding. That’s an area in dire need of improvement

Didn’t Mulcahy have the highest shooting percentage from 3? Plus he was a very good rebounder. I’d like to see Ron do a better job shooting and offensive rebounding. That’s an area in dire need of improvement

I specifically mentioned offensive rebounding of Mike Williams, who had OREB% of 7.6 and 8.4 in his last 2 years....PM was 3.3. Caleb was 5.7.

If Mulcahy is not taking shots or can't beat his man off the dribble to get shots he needs to get on the offensive glass.

Alternatively. Maybe our OREB isn’t that bad. We have a decent amount of failed OREB from missed FTs. It isn’t expected that you rebound a missed FT at the same rate as a missed FG.

I thought OREB % only included fga?

Offensive rebounding got Baylor off to its fast start. It allowed its shooters to take more shots and get in the groove. It created a psychological let down for the Zags every time they thought they’d stopped Baylor.
Go back to the last 10 seconds of the Gonzaga - UCLA game Juzang drives the the basket,but the defender is square in front of him and he misses. The defender relaxes and wanders away. He literally goes to a no man’s land area where he is not boxing out or contesting. The only rebound he would get is the 1% that would go long off a layup. Juzang gets his own rebound and ties up the game. Suggs bails them out with an incredible shot, but that was a sign of a team that hasn’t had to work hard on the defensive glass.
Love to see Pikes emphasize rebounding more like the 19-20 team in ‘21-‘22. If you can rebound you’re never out of the game and it can help you win on a poor shooting night. It’s really a question of emphasis, effort, and attention.
good thoughts. I think this has always been a point of emphasis for us. We play in a Big Mans conference but I thought we did okay this year overall. As far as Offenaive rebounds, Houston and Baylor were two relentless teams on the glass. Houston had a lot of long and lean guys who could all jump and Baylor had a lot of big thick guys who are tough to block out yet they ran the floor well and we’re everywhere on D. That’s effort but it’s also size and athleticism.

I am guessing it is all misses because how would the box score know if a reb came from a missed FT or FGA. Just a guess. Not sure how a lot of these stats are sourced to be honest.

I think you’re right but that would probably mean our OREB is actually inflated since we don’t get to the line much at all

We need guys giving 100% effort like Caleb was in the Dance. Our effort as a team slumped after we got to #11 and never really recovered. This should have been Pikes best rebounding team but was probably his worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT