ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL NET Thread - 2022/23

17+
we got a few calls in the Purdue game. I’m still not squared with the B1G
But fair, overall, in that game. That's the kind of officiating where mistakes were made on both sides, somewhat equally. So many times we see mistakes that go one way. To me, it looked like we won the officials over. They are human.. and have a history with the Big Ten. They probably think very little of us in a natural human bias kind-of-way.

In the first half, I swear they were watching Caleb like hawks because of his demonstrations over some bad calls.

Yeah.. the more I think on it.. we got pretty much screwed in the first half but acquired a big lead anyway. In the second half we got maybe 2 calls where the refs were wrong but in our favor. Doesn't quite even things up.. but close enough for this Rutgers fan.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I think some efficiency issues, stuff like the 107-105 Cornell win do not help. 18 point loss to Maryland, maybe not being efficient as they could vs Lafayette and St Francis.
I think this is why I side with Pike's system of scheduling cupcakes for OOC. It does assume that you will crush the cupcakes but if you do, and you play well in the BIG, you wind up with a #14 NET.

Miami with a better record especially against Q1/Q2 and a much stronger NET OOC SOS then us (131 vs 315) is sitting back in the mid 30s

I know you will say that the NET is not the end all for the committee but getting to selection Sunday with a NET in the top 25 would be tough to keep out and seed well.

I think this is why I side with Pike's system of scheduling cupcakes for OOC. It does assume that you will crush the cupcakes but if you do, and you play well in the BIG, you wind up with a #14 NET.

Miami with a better record especially against Q1/Q2 and a much stronger NET OOC SOS then us (131 vs 315) is sitting back in the mid 30s

I know you will say that the NET is not the end all for the committee but getting to selection Sunday with a NET in the top 25 would be tough to keep out and seed well.
I think this goes back to the point that it’s NOT that easy to crush cupcakes. Miami’s NET would, in fact, be much better if they did crush the cupcakes on their schedule. But they didn’t. No 30+ point wins. They beat 2-11 Lafayette by 13 after going into halftime down 2. They were tied to an equally bad 3-9 St Francis PA team at halftime before pulling away to win by 15. They beat Cornell by 2.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Is Louisville positioned for the worst major conference NET / RPI finish in the history of either system? 348 is just awful for an ACC school. And only 2 wins. Wow.
Seriously, what happened to Louisville for those who might know more about their program?

They impact our Dylan.
Indeed, I included them as a reference because of the Dylan recruiting battle. First season with a new coach. I am hoping to see them struggle and fade to bubble status or worse. Duke moving forward is not Duke of the past IMO. I'd like this season to prove that out enough to help persuade Dylan to come to Rutgers.

Indeed, I included them as a reference because of the Dylan recruiting battle. First season with a new coach. I am hoping to see them struggle and fade to bubble status or worse. Duke moving forward is not Duke of the past IMO. I'd like this season to prove that out enough to help persuade Dylan to come to Rutgers.
It's amazing that so many people thought Duke and Villanova wouldn't miss a beat with new coaches after losing HoF coaches. Coaching matters, it matters a LOT and those were two all-time greats.

This would be an unbelievable time for Duke to have their worst season in forever and collapse. Infighting. Public questioning of hiring a coach with ZERO HC experience. Make Duke seem as unstable as possible

This would be an unbelievable time for Duke to have their worst season in forever and collapse. Infighting. Public questioning of hiring a coach with ZERO HC experience. Make Duke seem as unstable as possible
Kevin Ollie won a championship for Uconn with ZERO HC experience. And then...

Reactions: RU-ROCS and Scangg
I think some efficiency issues, stuff like the 107-105 Cornell win do not help. 18 point loss to Maryland, maybe not being efficient as they could vs Lafayette and St Francis.

Torvik breaks down their per game scores and you're pretty much spot on. Maryland loss was their worst score of the season (26) followed by the Florida A&M win (43), St. Francis PA win (49), and Georgia Tech loss (52). There are 6 games with a score of 89 or above with 3 of them being above 95 points. The remaining 4 being what I guess you could call average to below average games for a tournament team.

To compare, Rutgers really only has one bad game score (and boy is it bad) which is the Temple loss (17) when injuries were a major factor. The scoring is weighted as the season goes on so this game will essentially have no impact on their final score by the end of the season. Next lowest is Seton Hall loss (67) and Miami loss (76). The remaining 10 games have a score of 89 or above with 7 of them above 95 points.

Last edited:
just noticed that after indiana at 18, the next highest B1G team is illinois at 47. quite a drop off

The scoring is weighted as the season goes on so this game will essentially have no impact on their final score by the end of the season.
I dont believe this is true. My understanding of the super secret NET formula is that it looks at the entire season equally, and early season games count as much as late games.

I think this goes back to the point that it’s NOT that easy to crush cupcakes. Miami’s NET would, in fact, be much better if they did crush the cupcakes on their schedule. But they didn’t. No 30+ point wins. They beat 2-11 Lafayette by 13 after going into halftime down 2. They were tied to an equally bad 3-9 St Francis PA team at halftime before pulling away to win by 15. They beat Cornell by 2.
You may be right but it still seems harsh to me. Crushing cupcakes may not be that easy but it is certainly easier then trying to crush Q1 or Q2 teams. Miami has played 5 Q4 cupcakes and beat them by 13, 26, 23,27 and 15. True they were no 30+ point wins but still decisive victories. They beat 4 Q1 teams by 10,2,7, and 2.

It just seems that it is better to rack up multiple 30 point crushing of Q4 teams then close wins against the best (Q1s).

I dont believe this is true. My understanding of the super secret NET formula is that it looks at the entire season equally, and early season games count as much as late games.

Sorry I meant for Torvik. You're right that the NET formula takes the entire season equally. Which if we're basing the seeding on an entire season is the right thing to do. But if we're trying to evaluate how good each team is at the time the tournament starts, probably best to have some type of weighted structure.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
You may be right but it still seems harsh to me. Crushing cupcakes may not be that easy but it is certainly easier then trying to crush Q1 or Q2 teams. Miami has played 5 Q4 cupcakes and beat them by 13, 26, 23,27 and 15. True they were no 30+ point wins but still decisive victories. They beat 4 Q1 teams by 10,2,7, and 2.

It just seems that it is better to rack up multiple 30 point crushing of Q4 teams then close wins against the best (Q1s).
I hear you - but the NET values efficiency - point blank. I don’t like it for the end of game sportsmanship angle, but in Miami’s case - they were tied or trailing in at least 2 of those Q4 games at halftime so it wasn’t that they simply played their scrubs in the end. They were inefficient throughout against bad teams.

The other one just updated. Surprised we're still at 14. No biggie though.

RU is now #14

Results:
Q1 (1-30 Home, 1-50 Neutral, 1-75 Away)
5 - @Purdue (W)
9 - @Ohio St (L*)
21 - Indiana (W)
38 - @Miami (L)

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
55 - Maryland (W)

Q3 (76-160 Home, 101-200 Neutral, 136-240 Away)
80 - Wake Forest (W)
88 - Seton Hall (L)
89 - UMass-Lowell (W)
159 - (N) Temple (L)

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 141+ Away)
230 - Rider (W)
276 - Bucknell (W)
279 - Coppin St (W)
314 - Sacred Heart (W)
329 - Columbia (W)
340 - Central CT St (W)

Upcoming
Q1 (1-30 Home, 1-50 Neutral, 1-75 Away)
9 - Ohio St
21 - @Indiana
50 - @Wisconsin
51 - @Illinois
58 - @MSU
59 - @Northwestern
60 - @Iowa
69 - @Penn St

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
58 - (N)MSU
59 - Northwestern
60 - Iowa
69 - Penn St
74 - Michigan

85 - Nebraska
237 - @Minnesota

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 241+ Away)
237 - Minnesota

Notes:
- Michigan and @Minnesota both bumped up a quadrant for now
- Penn St threatening to drop a quadrant both home and away
- OSU pretty much the only hope of a Q1 home game left, but plenty of road opportunities against teams in the NET 50s

We probably inch closer to 13 with the win.

North Texas win @ WKU, now 202, 70-66, doesn't standout but is interesting because they jumped from 53 to 39. That pack of teams must be close to each other for a 4 PT efficient road win to leap 14.

Last edited:
We probably inch closer to 13 with the win.

North Texas win @ WKU, now 202, 70-66, doesn't standout but is interesting because they jumped from 53 to 39. That pack of teams must be close to each other for a 4 PT efficient road win to leap 14.

At this point, there's not much more we can do to move up in the NET rankings without teams above us playing poorly (either losing games, or having nail biters against low ranked teams).

There are p
At this point, there's not much more we can do to move up in the NET rankings without teams above us playing poorly (either losing games, or having nail biters against low ranked teams).

I think one thing in our favor is the lack of "land mine" games:
85 - Nebraska
237 - @Minnesota
237 - Minnesota

We basically only have 3 games left on the schedule that could potentially tank our NET. I bet a bunch of the teams in front of us, have way more than three. So more chances for them to screw up.

There are p

I think one thing in our favor is the lack of "land mine" games:
85 - Nebraska
237 - @Minnesota
237 - Minnesota

We basically only have 3 games left on the schedule that could potentially tank our NET. I bet a bunch of the teams in front of us, have way more than three. So more chances for them to screw up.

Looking immediately above us:
13 Texas - No games left ranked below NET 61
12 FAU - Only 4 games left with NET better than 125
11 St. Mary's - Only 3 games left with NET better than 95
10 Arkansas - @South Carolina (252), @Vanderbilt (118), vs. Georgia (110), vs Ole Miss (93), Texas A&M x2 (92)

It is no coincidence but the 4 best defensive teams in the country , Tennessee , Houston , Rutgers and Arkansas are 2, 1 , 14 and 10 in the Net. Our offensive inefficiency at 105 on Kenpom compared to Tennessee at 110 and Arkansas at 110 and Houston at 114 is the reason they are higher than us. However , it appears I my opinion we are the best defensive team in the country because our press is elite and not sure the other 3 press . Only way to go higher is to get our offensive efficiency up to the 110 rating on Kenpom.

6 seed or better greatly increase chances of getting to sweet 16..
Getting an 8or9 puts RU in path for a #1 seed in the second round. This can be an advantage too, as team they face will not have much time to prepare..
My guess, as committee also likes storyline matchups, is if RU gets an 8or9, it will be in Albany, with UConn as a likely second round opponent..

10 is better than 8 imho

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT