ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL NET Thread - 2022/23

I think they are snobby because they fear Rutgers and Maryland would push them further down the pecking order of the B1G when both teams hit their stride in all sports. It's the same reason Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois come at us.
I think this is part of the story for them also. And, compounding this, they are a program that has had former glory. They remember when they were nationally relevant. It was a long time ago, and we remind them that it's not likely happening again.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I posted this in the game thread but this might be why you saw starters in the game so late. People were posting winning by more then 30 would help more in NET

I doubt Pike likes playing this “game,” but after constantly finding ourselves on the bubble, plus the OSU bad beat, he isn’t calling of the dogs like he would do in years past. Of course he will never admit either

Last edited:
Computers love us this year

22 in kenpom
20 in bartovok

With favorable computer rankings …Thinking we Need to get to 14-8 in the big ten play to get a 6 seed …(21-12 overall) and out of the 7/10 and 8/9 where it’s harder to get to the sweet 16

Long way to go…but liking how we are playing . The identity we want we are starting to excecufe at a high level

Computers love us this year

22 in kenpom
20 in bartovok

With favorable computer rankings …Thinking we Need to get to 14-8 in the big ten play to get a 6 seed …(21-12 overall) and out of the 7/10 and 8/9 where it’s harder to get to the sweet 16

Long way to go…but liking how we are playing . The identity we want we are starting to excecufe at a high level
Albany to MSG? Dare to dream

I think they are snobby because they fear Rutgers and Maryland would push them further down the pecking order of the B1G when both teams hit their stride in all sports. It's the same reason Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois come at us.
That's their own damn fault for not handling their own in house business.

The NET is just as broken as last year but this year it’s helping us so I won’t complain lol. Jumping from 39 to 27 because of a blowout win over a crappy team just makes no sense but we’ll take it for sure.
Defense and margin of victory matter.

Most teams we play are held to 20 points below their average.

Once conference play begins in January NET will reset quite a bit, and Tempoe will no longer be a Q4 loss. UMASS Lowell also resets and this will likely be a Q4 win

still, beating up on cupcakes helps a lot

Our ranking right now reminds me of Iowa's last year. They had a super strong NET but didn't really have a true tournament resume until February.

Yep..its nice that we are in the position we are in but at the end of the day we have just one win vs the likely field,no road wins and one pretty bad loss

Need to build the resume

Yep..its nice that we are in the position we are in but at the end of the day we have just one win vs the likely field,no road wins and one pretty bad loss

Need to build the resume
And if we don't do it, we'll have no excuses for not getting in. It's a good position to be in and should lead to less controversy and hand wringing when compared to last year.

Once conference play begins in January NET will reset quite a bit, and Tempoe will no longer be a Q4 loss. UMASS Lowell also resets and this will likely be a Q4 win

still, beating up on cupcakes helps a lot
lowell won’t fall to Q4 if they finish near the top of their conference as projected

Had wanted to update this yesterday, but had no power.

RU is now #27

Results:
Q1 (1-30 Home, 1-50 Neutral, 1-75 Away)
14 - @Ohio St (L*)
21 - Indiana (W)
48 - @Miami (L)

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)

Q3 (76-160 Home, 101-200 Neutral, 136-240 Away)
79 - UMass-Lowell (W)
88 - Wake Forest (W)
91 - Seton Hall (L)

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 141+ Away)
209 - (N) Temple (L)
239 - Rider (W)
244 - Bucknell (W)
317 - Sacred Heart (W)
340 - Columbia (W)
343 - Central CT St (W)

Upcoming
Q1 (1-30 Home, 1-50 Neutral, 1-75 Away)
4 - @Purdue
14 - Ohio St
21 - @Indiana
22 - Maryland
39 - @Northwestern
43 - @Illinois
49 - @Penn St
50 - @Wisconsin
57 - @Iowa
68 - @MSU

Q2 (31-75 Home 51-100 Neutral, 76-135 Away)
39 - Northwestern
49 - Penn St
57 - Iowa
68 - (N)MSU

Q3 (76-160 Home, 101-200 Neutral, 136-240 Away)
76 - Nebraska
80 - Michigan

Q4 (161+ Home, 201+Neutral, 241+ Away)
256 - Coppin St
248 - Minnesota
248 - @Minnesota

Notes:
- Nebraska and Michigan knocking on the door of Q2
- Really going to need to get some of these road games to accumulate some Q1 wins. I really don't think any of them are out of reach.
- Minnesota is really bad, but hardly the worst power conference team - they are ahead of 272 South Carolina (SEC), 319 California (P12), and 344 Louisville (ACC),

We’ve played pretty well in the true road games so far even though the record doesn’t reflect this.

What’s interesting is that while offense certainly isn’t a “strength”, we’d probably be undefeated just by resolving the turnover situation (even with our otherwise poor scoring efficiency). We couldn’t put the ball in the hoop vs. SHU yet if we clean up those 19 turnovers it doesn’t even matter. We still lost at the dang buzzer.

Yep, we are what we are. We don’t have a Blue Blood like Duke or Kentucky or Kansas. However, we are a deep conference with several programs who are built (or building toward the ability) to be successful more years than not. The NC is usually won by teams with multiple 5-stars, but the Big Ten has done quite well over the last 20+ years placing teams in the Final Four, and we’ve had SEVEN programs play for a title.
We will: UCLA.

MO

At first I was thinking it was a tough break only getting 3 games instead of 4 against Nebraska and Minnesota. But since only one of those games is on the road, our chances of avoiding another Q4 loss is better. Those are really the only must win games. We go one game below .500 or better against the rest of the schedule and we are a lock for the tournament.

In other words, if we go 11-9 in conference and 3-0 in those games, we're in great shape. But we may need to be 12-8 in league if we lose one of those games but still want to be confident.

At first I was thinking it was a tough break only getting 3 games instead of 4 against Nebraska and Minnesota. But since only one of those games is on the road, our chances of avoiding another Q4 loss is better. Those are really the only must win games. We go one game below .500 or better against the rest of the schedule and we are a lock for the tournament.

In other words, if we go 11-9 in conference and 3-0 in those games, we're in great shape. But we may need to be 12-8 in league if we lose one of those games but still want to be confident.
Assuming we beat Coppin State, we will be 9-4 (8-3 OOC, 1-1 B1G) heading into the final 18 Big Ten games.

You’re probably right that 11-9 overall (10-8 over the final 18 games) gets us in fairly comfortably, as most of those 18 games will be Quad 1 and 2 games. Of course, we will need to show that we can win some games on the road, and we CANNOT, MUST NOT stub our toe against Quad 3 or 4 Minnesota.

But, like Shack has been saying, we need to try and avoid the 8-9 seeds, and preferably avoid the 7 and 10 seeds too, if we want a better chance of advancing to the Sweet 16.

To get a 6 seed or better, we will need to go at least 12-8 or 13-7 in league for an overall record of 20-11 or 21-10 heading into the Big Ten tournament, and then win at least one game there to finish up 21-12 or 22-11.

I know, getting way ahead of myself here. Beat Coppin State!!

Assuming we beat Coppin State, we will be 9-4 (8-3 OOC, 1-1 B1G) heading into the final 18 Big Ten games.

You’re probably right that 11-9 overall (10-8 over the final 18 games) gets us in fairly comfortably, as most of those 18 games will be Quad 1 and 2 games. Of course, we will need to show that we can win some games on the road, and we CANNOT, MUST NOT stub our toe against Quad 3 or 4 Minnesota.

But, like Shack has been saying, we need to try and avoid the 8-9 seeds, and preferably avoid the 7 and 10 seeds too, if we want a better chance of advancing to the Sweet 16.

To get a 6 seed or better, we will need to go at least 12-8 or 13-7 in league for an overall record of 20-11 or 21-10 heading into the Big Ten tournament, and then win at least one game there to finish up 21-12 or 22-11.

I know, getting way ahead of myself here. Beat Coppin State!!
There’s maybe 5 teams in the country we cannot beat. Just get in the dance and let things play out.

To be a 6 seed, that means you're top 24 in the country. While it would be great, it may be tough to pull off even if we play well. 13-7 would probably get it done.

Rider has to be the best 4-6 team in the country. Lost another close one at Georgia yesterday by 6.

Richmond beat Coppin State (NET 269) by 18 last night and their NET only improved from 146 to 142. I guess we will need to win by 20 just to tread water. It's not gentlemanly but we have to try to win this game by 30+.

Richmond beat Coppin State (NET 269) by 18 last night and their NET only improved from 146 to 142. I guess we will need to win by 20 just to tread water. It's not gentlemanly but we have to try to win this game by 30+.
We don’t really know all the details of the NET formula do we? Maybe First half efficiency matters somehow? Was a 2 point game at halftime.

Iowa (58) going to drop after a 16 point loss to Nebraska (78). That will pull Nebraska into Q2, at least for the time being.

Michigan (81) loses by 2 at home to Central Mich (292) and are going to drop like a stone, almost certainly into triple digits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT