1. No Woman No Cry.....Bob Marley
2. Night Nurse......Gregory Isaacs
3. Herbs Pirate....The Itals

My favorite post 1980 songs;

1. Joy Division--Love will tear us apart
2. Buzzcocks--Ever fallen in love?
3. Replacements--I will Dare

This post was edited on 3/24 11:05 PM by rutger80

Alright a few more: "Come to Papa" & "Mainstreet" Bob Seger, "American Pie" Don McLean, "More Than A Feeling" Boston,

"Horse With No Name" America, "Free Bird" Skynyrd, "Super Freak" Rick James

Whitest...thread...ever!! Also the oldest...and least gay!!!
wink.r191677.gif

Great topic Zap!

1) something in the night - Springsteen. My all time favorite song by any artist, any genre. A true work of art.
2) monkey man - the Rolling Stones. This is tough because I could have picked 10 different stones songs but I am going with MM
3) can't hardly wait (Tim version) - the replacements. This one was mentioned a couple of times already which just goes to show you the people on this board have great taste! Just a perfect song. "Jesus rides beside me... He never buys and he smokes"

Originally posted by Peteyd:
Great topic Zap!

1) something in the night - Springsteen. My all time favorite song by any artist, any genre. A true work of art.
2) monkey man - the Rolling Stones. This is tough because I could have picked 10 different stones songs but I am going with MM
3) can't hardly wait (Tim version) - the replacements. This one was mentioned a couple of times already which just goes to show you the people on this board have great taste! Just a perfect song. "Jesus rides beside me... He never buys and he smokes"
Peteyd - great songs, especially Can't Hardly Wait, but I have to point out that you have one of the greatest lines in rock and roll history wrong. It's "Jesus rides beside me...he never buys any smokes."

Originally posted by wheezer:
Originally posted by Rokodesh:
Comfortably Numb
Crazy Train (original version with Randy)
Sweet Child O Mine

I get chills whenever I hear the solos from the first two. Hard to pick 1 GNR song, when I could've said anything from the album.

This post was edited on 3/23 9:41 AM by Rokodesh
Us and Them by Pink Floyd, followed closely by comfortably numb
This is why Dark Side of the Moon still sells so many copies.

Time by Pink Floyd
And You And I by Yes

These two songs have been favorites of mine since the early 70's. I was a big Led Zeppelin fan, but their songs have faded from my list of favorites over the years.

Originally posted by RU0517581:
Too hard to name favs.

This week its "Changes" - a cover of Black Sabbath song by Charles Bradley (The "Screaming Eagle Of Soul" - and fav musician of Alabama Shakes gal).
thanks fer the chance to hear that version. Amazing how they took BS Changes and made it their own, nice

WMMR 93.3 in Philly is doing a album March Madness. It's pretty interesting how some of the votes turn out as you only can vote during the battle between the two albums so you have to be listening. Of ciurse each DJ has different sets of listeners that sway votes on way or the other.

They play two songs from each album but run through all the songs on each. You are supposed to vote on the entire strength of the complete album.

March Madness Recod Album style

Originally posted by APKnight:
Arcade Fire - Afterlife
Death Cab for Cutie- Black Sun
just heard and saw the video for Black Sun today...its an awesome song in an otherwise sketchy time for music

Halo...Depeche Mode
Strength...The Alarm
Anything off of Joshua Tree

Originally posted by herdof3:
Halo...Depeche Mode
Strength...The Alarm
Anything off of Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree is one of only two albums on which I liked (an like) every song, and to this day I don't remember the other album.

As for one of my three favorite songs, which is a hard thing to figure out, I do know one of them, as I've liked it since I was a kid and have never tired of it: Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding.

in no particular order off the top of my head (long)

No Excuses....Alice In Chains

Rooster....Alice In Chains

White Discussion....Live

Vow.....Garbage

Push It....Garbage

Zombie......Cranberries

Linger......Cranberries

Interstate Love Song.....Stone Temple Pilots

Plush.....Stone Temple Pilots

Sour Girl....Stone Temple Pilots

Alive.....Pearl Jam

Black.....Pearl Jam

Shimmer......Fuel

Downtown....Days of the New

Save Yourself.....Stabbing Westward

Edge of Seventeen....Stevie Nicks

Gold Dust Woman.....Fleetwood Mac

The Chain....Fleetwood Mac

Fly Like An Eagle....Steve Miller Band

The Joker....Steve Miller Band

Hotel California....The Eagles

One of These Nights....Eagles

I Want Your Love.....Chic

Right Back to Where We Started From....Maxine Nightengale

Hello Its Me....Todd Rundgren

Big Shot....Billy Joel

Its Too Late To Turn Back Now....Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose

Brandy.....Looking Glass

Baker Street.....Gerry Rafferty

You're No Good....Linda Ronstadt

You're So Vain.....Carly Simon

Ramble On....Led Zeppelin

All of My Love....Led Zeppelin

Little By Little....Robert Plant

Miracles....Jefferson Starship

Stranger....Jefferson Starship

Gimme Shelter....Rolling Stones

Heartbreaker....Rolling Stones

Magic Man....Heart

Crazy On You....Heart

Barracuda....Heart

Long Cool Woman....Hollies

Bennie and the Jets....Elton John

Got To Get You Into My Life....The Beatles

Feel Like Makin Love....Bad Company

Breakdown....Tom Petty

Couldn't Get It Right....Climax Blues Band

Tin Man...America

Night Moves....Bob Seger

Magic...Olivia Newton John

Stone Cold...Rainbow

On The Loose....Saga

Love Will Find A Way....Yes

Feels Like the First Time...Foreigner

Love Action....Human League

Fascination....Human League

Promises Promises....Naked Eyes

Love Is A Stranger....Eurythmics

Still In Hollywood...Concrete Blonde

How Much Is Enough.....The Fixx

Originally posted by West Point Knight:
Whitest...thread...ever!! Also the oldest...and least gay!!!
wink.r191677.gif
It's not about any of that, it's about good tunes. It's not a good thing that the politicalization that has overtaken all aspects of our society gets cast over the creation of music. I would estimate that my pretty large CD collection is at least filled with 30 -40 % of people who don't fit the above reference. The music has to move me in some way. I have a large collection of classic Soul and R&B music at home and when the mood is right i can tear up listening to it. There are also a good number of young singers and bands that i would pay to hear live and have most of their music. Thats what it is about.

Originally posted by James_Bond:

Let It Go
A solid Rick-rolling!!! I haven't been rolled in a while--always a classic when someone pulls it off. Nicely done.

Birds by Neil Young I wanted played at my funeral
Factory by Springsteen
Carry On by CSNY but the live version off of Four Way Street

Originally posted by runuts:
Factory by Springsteen
Yer definitely showing yer age nuts

Factory by Springsteen
Southern Man from Four Way Street would have made my list if I hadn't kept it at three.
Stephen Stills and Neil Young are awesome on guitar on that tune....something I witnessed any number of times, including once at Atlantic City Racetrack in a friggin rainstorm....and yes it was outside.
BTW, if I hadn't kept my list to three it would probably be the longest one in this thread and included at least a half a dozen tunes by Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and the Wailers,The Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Jackson Browne, Dinosaur Jr., The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, U2, and Stevie Ray Vaughan....and lots and lots of tunes by many other great artists.
Like someone who posted earlier in this thread, I have hundreds of vinyl albums, hundreds of cassettes, and hundreds of cd's and most of them I treasure and still enjoy....and yes I'm still adding to my collection.

Factory by Springsteen
Did everyone enjoy it? ;-)

Todays fav is Beyonce's sister Solange singing in a cab with one of my fav guitarists Dev Hynes (also known as Lightspeed Champion or Blood Orange). I like Solange more than Beyonce who is good but never did anything for me. Solange is also famous for having a go at Jay-Z in an elevator (he was going to a party without Beyonce or something)

Solange - Black Cab Sessions

Nah....it's Gimme All Your Love as performed by Brittany Howard and Alabama Shakes on SNL a few weeks back.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - call me the breeze, free bird and gimme three steps. molly hatchet- gator country and flirting wit disaster.

New day, new favorites:

Bob Marley- Johnny Was
Widespread Panic- Climb To Safety
Dispatch- Two Coins

Favorites change on a daily basis, but I throughly enjoyed getting down to Princeton's own Trey Anastasio and Phish today. Can't wait to hit the road for Grateful Dead and Phish summer tour!

This post was edited on 3/26 8:47 PM by okieKnight

Down With Disease

Originally posted by CranfordKnight:
New day, new favorites:

Bob Marley- Johnny Was
Widespread Panic- Climb To Safety
Dispatch- Two Coins
I love "Climb To Safety" by Widespread Panic...great tune. Bob Marley..there are many..but "Trenchtown Rock, Kinky Reggae, Sun is Shining and Buffalo Soldier" all stand out.

I'll post the 5 songs that I heard for the 1st time and made me want to expand my musical horizons to where they are today. I listen to everything on earth except country. I just can't do it. These are the 5 songs that made me go..."holy shit...WHAT is this?" My 5 musical revelations...

Kick Out The Jams---MC5
Raining Blood--Slayer
Helter Skelter--Beatles
Know Your Enemy--Rage Against the Machine
Shake Your Rump--Beastie Boys

"Loan Me a Dime (Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman on guitar)

"Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)

"Here Comes the Night (Them)

" One" U2

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" Stones

" The Fever" Bruce Sprinsteen (or Southside Johnny version)

'Senor" , "One More Cup of Coffee" & Positively 4th St " , Bob Dylan

"New Lee Highway Blues"- David Bromberg

JP agree as a guitar player can agree with
1 Blue Sky is a classic with Dicky Betts & Warren Haines trading riffs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1jpQu6qR1E along with thier acoustic version of Melissa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggeab0lKz2c just amazing how they play off each other

1a CS&N Suite Judy Blue Eyes Steve Stills is underrated as a player/song writer and can carry a song like this with just him playing, the voice harmonies they do help also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVUwrifwKrI

2 Green Grass and High Tides the Outlaws again Hughie T was very underrated as a player and writer but if you listen to his songs the chord structure of his songs are basic the way he plays alternates off the others players is good. This one with some guests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGrZwU6wde0

3 I like a lot of the older Doobie songs but favorite is Black Water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3P6HXHCYVc

My list can go on forever with others such as Beatles, Zep, Eagles, but these are my top 5

Strange Brew.....Cream
You Shook Me....Zep
I think we're alone now.....Tommy James
Jesus Just Left Chicago....ZZ Top
Long Haired Country Biy....Charlie Daniels
Road Runner......Humble Pie
Smells like Teen Spirit.....Nirvana
Since you've been gone.....Kelly Clarkson

Loved new wave:

Debaser by the Pixies (slicing up eyeballs, ha, ha, ha ,ho)

Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure

So many different times I can remember hearing each of these songs, exactly where I was, who I was with, etc.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
"Loan Me a Dime (Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman on guitar)

"Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)

"Here Comes the Night (Them)

" One" U2

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" Stones

" The Fever" Bruce Sprinsteen (or Southside Johnny version)

'Senor" , "One More Cup of Coffee" & Positively 4th St " , Bob Dylan

"New Lee Highway Blues"- David Bromberg
Loan me a Dime is just pure genius.
Wilson Pickett's version of Hey Jude with Duane Allman is hot enough to make you melt.

Add to your Dylan choices: Tangled Up in Blue and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT