ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day- favorite/ worst memories

JoeRU0304

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2005
Opening week is upon us; while an opener does not necessarily a season make, they certainly seem to stand out. What are some of your best/ worst memories from Opening Day?

My Top 5 Best:

1.) 2004 Michigan State- still have a couple of the papers from the next day in my office at work.

2.) 2006 @ UNC- after the 2005 Illinois debacle this opener was exactly what the doctor ordered and helped set the tone for a great year.

3.) 2014 @ WSU- I don't care what WSU's final record was- this was a great game and went a long way in making the 2014 season a successful one. Hardly anyone across the country thought we were winning this game.

4.) 2003 Buffalo- while we won a fairly nondescript 23-10 game, this game featured the debut of Brian Leonard and after years of looking like the Keystone Cops, you could tell we actually looked like we knew what we were doing on the field.

5.) 1998 Richmond- my first-ever game at Rutgers Stadium (my freshman year) and a so ugly it's beautiful 7-6 victory over the Spiders.

My Top 5 Worst:

1.) 2005 @ Illinois- although this game was the birth of 'Keep Chopping', 11 years later and I still can't even stand to think about this game.

2.) 2009 Cincy- newly-expanded Rutgers Stadium, 53K in the house going crazy, we were considered a legitimate BE contender that year...and the game was over in about 10 minutes.

3.) 2002 Villanova- half of what became to be known as the 'Buffanova' disaster that opened up our 2002 season and reminded us of just how far we had to go to even be mediocre at the time.

4.) 1995 @ Duke- bowl or bust season for Graber, veteran squad loaded on offense, Duke had a mild 'dream run' to the HOF (now Outback) Bowl the year before and was expected to come back to Earth...and we lost 24-7 in 600-degree weather to kick off a dud of a 4-7 season.

5.) 2008 Fresno- we were so much better than what we showed on the field that day.

Joe P.

Last edited:
9/5/1992. Graber had some studs on that team and we lost to Boston College. Rutgers kept driving down the field pretty easily only to F it up every time. It was extremely frustrating. RU gave that one away. It would have been an 8 win season (9 if Cinci missed that long fg). We did beat West Virginia that year which was great.

I think Joe nailed most of it. Because I'm older I'll add the '91 opener vs. BC. Beating Tom Coughlin in the first Big East football game on a sweltering day was sweet.

I'll 2nd that one. They gave out pins bring it was the inaugural Big EAst game. I still have mine

I'll also add 1981. I have no idea who we played or if we won but it was my first tailgate at ru my freshman year. I remember sitting in the stands with beer we snuck in. I have loved it ever since

2009 Cincy was easily the worst opening day for me.

All the hype and expectation with a newly expanded stadium, coming off of a promising 2008 season end, with a packed house. With a promising true frosh super QB in Tom Savage and a supposedly solid QB in MSU transfer Dom Natale... And a big fat BLOW OUT L to show for it... [sick]

2009 Cincy was the worst for me. I still curse Tony Pike & Mardy Gilyard & Isiah Pead & Travis Kelci & Brian Kelly. 31-7 at the end of the 1st quarter. Happy Feet Natale was supposed to start the year until our savior Tom Savage was ready to take over. Yeah, that plan lasted until halftime.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Yes, my observation/ fandom wroth Rutgers is very limited. But my best opening day memory of Rutgers opening days was when they had that goal line stand vs UNC in 06. Forgot the name of that LB who made that hellified, midair tackle.

Forgot the name of that LB who made that hellified, midair tackle.
Devraun Thompson

Here's an article that was written right before the UNC bowl game. Dunleavy talked to some of the old guys and they gave their perspective of the '06 game.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...tball-upset-louisville-possible-unc/20250995/

I love some of the quotes:

(UNC) scored on its next possession as Hakeem Nicks caught a touchdown pass in his first career collegiate game. Faced with third-and-six from Rutgers' 29-yard-line, North Carolina called timeout with two minutes remaining.

It allowed Collins, a redshirt senior who intercepted Dailey in the second quarter, to make an adjustment.

"I was the nickel and Devin McCourty was the dime back and I was actually supposed to be on the other side," said Collins, a licensed stockbroker from Plainfield with designs on financial advising, "but I told him, 'No, no, no. Go to the other side. I see something over here.' Lo and behold, I got the interception.

"That was just straight from how Schiano made us practice perfect as far as film study."

QUOTE="JoeRU0304, post: 2278241, member: 2106"]Opening week is upon us; while an opener does not necessarily a season make, they certainly seem to stand out. What are some of your best/ worst memories from Opening Day?

My Top 5 Best:

1.) 2004 Michigan State- still have a couple of the papers from the next day in my office at work.

2.) 2006 @ UNC- after the 2005 Illinois debacle this opener was exactly what the doctor ordered and helped set the tone for a great year.

3.) 2014 @ WSU- I don't care what WSU's final record was- this was a great game and went a long way in making the 2014 season a successful one. Hardly anyone across the country thought we were winning this game.

4.) 2003 Buffalo- while we won a fairly nondescript 23-10 game, this game featured the debut of Brian Leonard and after years of looking like the Keystone Cops, you could tell me actually looked like we knew what we were doing on the field.

5.) 1998 Richmond- my first-ever game at Rutgers Stadium (my freshman year) and a so ugly it's beautiful 7-6 victory over the Spiders.

My Top 5 Worst:

1.) 2005 @ Illinois- although this game was the birth of 'Keep Chopping', 11 years later and I still can't even stand to think about this game.

2.) 2009 Cincy- newly-expanded Rutgers Stadium, 53K in the house going crazy, we were considered a legitimate BE contender that year...and the game was over in about 10 minutes.

3.) 2002 Villanova- half of what became to be known as the 'Buffanova' disaster that opened up our 2002 season and reminded us of just how far we had to go to even be mediocre at the time.

4.) 1995 @ Duke- bowl or bust season for Graber, veteran squad loaded on offense, Duke had a mild 'dream run' to the HOF (now Outback) Bowl the year before and was expected to come back to Earth...and we lost 24-7 in 600-degree weather to kick off a dud of a 4-7 season.

5.) 2008 Fresno- we were so much better than what we showed on the field that day.

Joe P.[/QUOTE]

2013 @ Fresno St - late Thursday night/early Friday morning OT heartbreaker

Ray posts here?
We post on his behalf.

Best:

1> 1990 vs. Kentucky @ Gints stadium. 24-8. Graber's first game. Malik Jackson had an INT and ran it back a ways. He moved like a cat. It helped that Bill Curry couldn't coach to save his life.
2> Beat BC in first ever Big East football game.
3> @UNC 2006. Missed most of 2nd half unfortunately.

Worst: 1995 @ Duke. As Joe P. noted, super hot and humid. We had these portable fan/water mister things on the sidelines keeping our guys cool, Dook had old school fans from the 1950's. We shoud have destroyed them, but in typical old RU fashion, we gave the game away. Credit due to the Duke QB who made big plays when he had to. Absolutely got obliterated by Rashon Giddings (he also had a nice INT), but came back in somehow. It was one of only two games that I remember Willis and Presley being in the backfield on the same play. Graber called an OPTION play, we fumbled the ball, Dook recovered. One of many screwups and penalties that day.

Last edited:
For reference, I graduated in 99'...

2004 MSU is easily my favorite memory... Amazing opener, and I thought our program was off to the races. First time it felt like we took down a traditional power (or largely successful program) and that outside fans would have to notice and acknowledge our success.

2009 Cinci is easily the worst... Even though we recovered to make a bowl, that game ruined my feelings about the season since it pretty much cemented the fact that we were ONCE AGAIN not going to win the conference and get the conference's BCS bid. As previously mentioned, there was a tremendous amount of hype going into that season and it all went up in smoke in the first quarter.

Reactions: miketd1
I'll 2nd that one. They gave out pins bring it was the inaugural Big EAst game. I still have mine

I'll also add 1981. I have no idea who we played or if we won but it was my first tailgate at ru my freshman year. I remember sitting in the stands with beer we snuck in. I have loved it ever since

Home game vs Colgate. Intreresting was this your frosh year?

Worst : 1997 vs Virginia tech. Freshman year, and this was part of orientation weekend . Fun time until the game started and stadium emptied out in the second quarter . Many of my classmates never went back to a game .

Best : 2004 Michigan state . You could tell schiano was building something for real . The rest of that season was a disappointment, but we got it going in 2005 .

2009 Cinci is easily the worst... Even though we recovered to make a bowl, that game ruined my feelings about the season since it pretty much cemented the fact that we were ONCE AGAIN not going to win the conference and get the conference's BCS bid. As previously mentioned, there was a tremendous amount of hype going into that season and it all went up in smoke in the first quarter.
+1.

I felt like this:
crying-brazil-fan-1.gif

1. 1996 vs Villanova. Was my freshman orientation game. Terry Shea had us optimistic. But the most memorable part was the food fight in the old student section. We only won one more game that year, but I'll never forget it.
2. 2006 at UNC. That was a great road trip. My friends and I went to a lot of games that year, but that one stands out because the game was great and the bar scene afterward was equally great.

Best, '91 vs BC. I hadn't made it in to the stadium yet when the cannon fired, signaling our first score. First Big East game. Decent season from what I recall.

Worst, '96 vs Villanova. Signaled a horrible start to the Terry Shea era, we should have rolled over a 1AA team and didn't. I knew then it was going to be a long season.

Here are some of the Best because there are far too many bad ones.

1952 - My 1st game and we didn't lose. RU 19. Muhlenburg. 19
1958 - Beat Princeton. 28 - 0 another first, but than won the next 3.
1961 - 4th qtr comeback against Columbia to go undefeated. 32-19
1974 - RU. 6. Princeton. 6. The no goal post game because they were torn down before the final score and had to go for " two ".
1976 - Thanksgiving Night beat Colgate for undefeated season. 17-9
1997 - 6 OT against Pitt. Lost 48 - 55
2005 - Beating Cinn to receive the Insight Bowl invite. Our first REAL
bowl bid.
Most memorable ever - RU. 13. Tenn 7. for their homecoming.

Some oddities over the years.

After seeing my first tie, the next one was 22 years later.
In 1985 and 1989, we played 5 teams that were involved in ties.

Many more, but you had to be there.

Also, 1960 home against Virginia that was added and became our first Dec game. Sunny and 70 degrees. Va. had a soph qb named Gary Cuozzo from Glen Ridge that looked like a pro. Threw the ball all over the field on a line. Final. Va. 41 - 0
Still nice for Christmas shopping after it was over.

Bump for opening week...I think we can safely add the 2016 opener to the 'bad' side of the equation; let's hope 2017 is a lot different.

Joe P.

2007 vs Buffalo was awesome. Coming off that amazing season, game being played in late August, the excitement was palpable. I remember walking around the tailgate lots and saying out loud "Oh yeah -- we have officially arrived"

I love opening weekend because of the optimism. And the scantily clad coeds running around

Memorable for different reasons. 1952 Muhlenburg, my first game ever. Didn't know what to expect, but certainly not a 19-19 tie, but not a loss. 1958 Princeton, 28-0. First time I saw us beat them. Then we won the next 3 years too. Opening game against Princeton was a big deal in those days because it was such a build up until the third week of Sept.
Other notables: Michigan St, Navy, Fresno St 51-52 and going for 2 to win, Kent St at the new stadium and PSU first home B1G game.
Bummers - Villanova, Illinois, Duke, William & Mary after Alabama game, Cinn and New Hampshire. There were years when the first game loss was disheartening, but we had a really bad team so it seemed normal a few weeks later.
After 65 years some things just mellow and blend.

My worst opening day memory is the Michigan State win 2004. It was a great victory but meaningless by losing to New Hampshire the next week.

No question the UNC game in 2006 was my favorite opening game experience. Had my mom, dad, sister and family and my wife and son with me for the first and only time at an RU game, as most of them lived in Charlotte at the time. Awesome game and huge win.

I am an optimist...

5.) 2014 Rutgers 41 Washington State 38

4.) 2006 Rutgers 21 UNC 16

3.) 1985 Rutgers 28 #3 Florida 28

2.) 1988 Rutgers 17 #15 Michigan State 13

1.) 2016 Rutgers 29 #14 Washington 23

We beat Washington last year? That changes my feelings about the entire year.

Best
2004 Michigan State (great crowd. As good as Louisville 2006)
1990 Kentucky (Graber's first game as HC up at Giants Stadium)

Worst
2009 Cincy
1989 @Cincy - Tie (we were loaded with 5th year seniors and this was the year we were finally supposed to hit pay dirt. All the talk in the papers were about an anticipated 4-0 start before hosting Penn State @GS. Wound up tying again the following week against Ball State at home. This pair is up there with "Buffanova" if you ask me)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT