ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts

There are three issues from some fans.

1. They think they know football and they do not.

2. They think they know coaching kids and they do not.

3. Their ego gets really upset because they want to hang around the proverbial water cooler and dick measure with their coworkers who are OSU, MSU, Bama fans etc.

The same thing that hurts high school sports, and youth sports, make it really hard to talk about college sports with people.
I remember after my son finished his career and went to a Rutgers game and sat in the stands with some of his friends. Funny as it sounds- it was his first time ever sitting in the stands to watch a football game.
After the game- he came home and asked me how I can sit in the stands and listen to some of the dumbest football people talking shit about players.

3. Their ego gets really upset because they want to hang around the proverbial water cooler and dick measure with their coworkers who are OSU, MSU, Bama fans etc.

The same thing that hurts high school sports, and youth sports, make it really hard to talk about college sports with people.
To be fair- I had always thought I knew Football as well as anyone...Until I would tape the Rutgers games and on an off day, my son would come home and we would replay it and he would break down each offensive play and responsibilities. And this was on a 90 inch screen.
I soon realized that my eyes didn't always know what they saw. Most fans have no idea what they just saw on most plays.
And then to see the huge difference between one of our starters vs the backups. Back in the 05-09 days- we had a lot of top end talent but as mentioned often here, we just never have the depth.

I remember after my son finished his career and went to a Rutgers game and sat in the stands with some of his friends. Funny as it sounds- it was his first time ever sitting in the stands to watch a football game.
After the game- he came home and asked me how I can sit in the stands and listen to some of the dumbest football people talking shit about players.
I'm no more knowledgeable about football than most of the other fans. But I know that so I restrain myself from critiquing stuff about which I have no experience or training and over which I have no visibility (e.g. which QB should play).

It's always pretty difficult for me to sit in the stands and have to listen to all the ignorant crap directed at players or coaches coming out of so many clueless people's mouths. And that's with me knowing little.

For example, I know soccer quite well and, when attending soccer games, I mostly have to situate myself away from everyone so I don't have to hear all the ignorant nonsense fans say, because it's intensely irritating.

So I imagine that's what it's like for former FB players and especially coaches at CFB or pro games. It's way more tolerable on an internet forum than in person, in my experience.

Reactions: TRU2RU and gef21

^^^ Just three of the reasons that your posting here is so valuable to some of us.

I've also watched a lot of football games in bars and the same type of dumbasses are in most of them as well.

Reactions: gef21
I've also watched a lot of football games in bars and the same type of dumbasses are in most of them as well.
doing that might be putting you around people that are just a little bit smarter than some Rutgers fans that post their knowledge during games when the game isn't looking so hot.
😉

Ive learned to deal with people not understanding the game, but I really struggle with people blaming kids for doing something wrong when they do not know the concepts that are happening in front of them.

I also hate the "players deserve reps" argument but are referring to games. They completely discount what happens at practice. I have had so many parents say that to me about their kids not playing in varsity high school games that it triggers me.

I used to share a story tat busted me up as the guys of the OL were talking about it in 08. It was the "We Suck" that they were laughing about when we took them all out to Steakhouse 85 for Kevin's 21st Bday...It was after one game where they had been reading this board and I think AD started it- If I remember correctly
"Hey Has, you read what they were saying- they called you out that you sucked, hahaha - Kevin - I didn't suck, I was too busy helping the rest of you out. You sucked a lot more than I did. AD - That isn't what they think- they said I was really good but you Art and Blaze really sucked. Kev- Ant, you know you sucked, it is just your guy sucked more than you did and made you look good - Art- btw, they were right about you, you did suck. Art- yeah, I did but I know it. hahaha Blaze- looking up from his steak- "who sucked? I didn't, F them" Howie- why didnt they mention me? Can we get more bread?"

I used to share a story tat busted me up as the guys of the OL were talking about it in 08. It was the "We Suck" that they were laughing about when we took them all out to Steakhouse 85 for Kevin's 21st Bday...It was after one game where they had been reading this board and I think AD started it- If I remember correctly
"Hey Has, you read what they were saying- they called you out that you sucked, hahaha - Kevin - I didn't suck, I was too busy helping the rest of you out. You sucked a lot more than I did. AD - That isn't what they think- they said I was really good but you Art and Blaze really sucked. Kev- Ant, you know you sucked, it is just your guy sucked more than you did and made you look good - Art- btw, they were right about you, you did suck. Art- yeah, I did but I know it. hahaha Blaze- looking up from his steak- "who sucked? I didn't, F them" Howie- why didnt they mention me? Can we get more bread?"
That is an awesome story.

that must have been a very expensive birthday dinner. that's a lot of big boys to feed.

that must have been a very expensive birthday dinner. that's a lot of big boys to feed.
Oh man- yes it was...It's funny too...i dont remember what most of the guys got for their app but Howie had gotten Scallops- and you should have seen his face when they came out with those 3 little scallops with garnish. lol I just told the waiter " we need more bread" - but there was a special that night- KC Strip steak with crabmeat- they all ordered that. Though, Art did ask permission. And I got a ton of sides for the table.

When Kevin's mom told him to invite a couple of classmates out for his BD dinner, we didn't know it was going to be the damn OL. But it really was a great night.

The strange thing- I have the reservation under my name- and we come in- obviously, the group made a bit of a scene when you see 5 guys all over 6ft4 and 300 ish lbs walk in. And it was my wife, Kev's younger brother and the OL. And while most of the other guests figured out quickly who they were, the wait staff and owners had no idea until we were almost done with dinner.
The bill ended up in the range of about $1200

Reactions: RUChoppin and gef21
But their defense is elite. If their defense was not elite, they would not be winning games. They best team they have faced beat them 31-0.
But injuries have almost certainly hobbled them, yet they find a way to win.

That is an awesome story.
Sometimes it can be a reminder that these are just kids. Even in the NFL- it is almost the same. Some of the stupid crap those guys did at some of my Pool BBQ's...and yet, after the BBQ, they are all there helping pick up the red cups, wiping down tables and just bringing the leftovers in with the wife and her bossing us all around. lol

But their defense is elite. If their defense was not elite, they would not be winning games. The best team they have faced beat them 31-0.
I saw that game vs. Pedd State. It really wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.
Stupid me thought we'd breeze through the Corn Crowd.

I saw that game vs. Pedd State. It really wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.
Stupid me thought we'd breeze through the Corn Crowd.
It seems that Iowa defense happens to be peaking since that game. And Ferentz school Greg with the offensive game plan. There is no one that could have expected Iowa to come out throwing. And it never seemed like we adjusted.

Sometimes it can be a reminder that these are just kids. Even in the NFL- it is almost the same. Some of the stupid crap those guys did at some of my Pool BBQ's...and yet, after the BBQ, they are all there helping pick up the red cups, wiping down tables and just bringing the leftovers in with the wife and her bossing us all around. lol
My mom always remarked that the OL and the rest of the big guys are always the most appreciative and best mannered. Guess you can't really blend in with the crowd when you're that big

My mom always remarked that the OL and the rest of the big guys are always the most appreciative and best mannered. Guess you can't really blend in with the crowd when you're that big
That is true but we also usually had a good mix of the other guys too.

Also- reminds me of when he was in Jacksonville- a few of the OL would go shopping in the local Publix or something- he said to me once that it was so weird how they go shopping and not wearing anything that says Jaguars and some little ole granny will start yelling Go Jags!
I had to point out that it is a small city and you have 3 guys all over 6ft5 300+ and athletes all together- they are going to figure it out. lol

Reactions: rutgersal
FWIW, offensive linemen were the highest scorers on the Wonderlic except for quarterbacks when the NFL was giving the test.

To be fair- I had always thought I knew Football as well as anyone...Until I would tape the Rutgers games and on an off day, my son would come home and we would replay it and he would break down each offensive play and responsibilities. And this was on a 90 inch screen.
I soon realized that my eyes didn't always know what they saw. Most fans have no idea what they just saw on most plays.
And then to see the huge difference between one of our starters vs the backups. Back in the 05-09 days- we had a lot of top end talent but as mentioned often here, we just never have the depth.
and sometimes fans DO understand what they see. the scoreboard amd player rankings dont lie. If you absolutely love Monangai and incessantly boast he’s better than Jalen Berger based in part on being among the top conference rushing leaders you cant also argue Wimsatt’s stats are irrelevant.

But that’s what many do here. homers cherry pick favorable data and reject abysmal data. you know who you are

and sometimes fans DO understand what they see. the scoreboard amd player rankings dont lie. If you absolutely love Monangai and incessantly boast he’s better than Jalen Berger based in part on being among the top conference rushing leaders you cant also argue Wimsatt’s stats are irrelevant.

But that’s what many do here. homers cherry pick favorable data and reject abysmal data. you know who you are
I hope you know that has nothing to do with my post…The reality is- most fans have no idea who really f-d up or who did the best on any given play.
You can see a DE blow past an OT for a sack. Pretty obvious who f-Ed up…or is it?

I hope you know that has nothing to do with my post…The reality is- most fans have no idea who really f-d up or who did the best on any given play.
You can see a DE blow past an OT for a sack. Pretty obvious who f-Ed up…or is it?
Nope, not disagreeing. Responsibilities aren’t always obvious. Maybe the OT is supposed to pull or block down leaving the D edge unblocked but he busts the play anyway.

But when the QB throws a screen to the TE 5 yards away and the pass sails 10 feet over his head….you don’t need to be the OC to know who botched the play.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I'm sorry, but if you're not going to say that Wimsatt has accuracy issues, Schiano meddles too much in the offense or that KC is too conservative, then your thoughts are meaningless.
Spank, everyone knows GW has to improve his accuracy...btw, he will and it will be a matter of how much for next year.

But the focus on his accuracy is a bit out of control...every throw is life or death...ridiculous...did you see Allan on MNF last night? we are talking about a kid who's in his second year of playing and if you count games where he had 2 ankles it's early in his second year...

It's really ridiculous and especially college...

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Try HS with a higher % of parents in the stands.
Player family section at Rutgers sucked as well. There were family and friends there that would boo and talk non stop shit about any player on the field that was not their son...There was a reason Mr. Teel would not sit with his wife and Daughter in the sands

Spank, everyone knows GW has to improve his accuracy...btw, he will and it will be a matter of how much for next year.

But the focus on his accuracy is a bit out of control...every throw is life or death...ridiculous...did you see Allan on MNF last night? we are talking about a kid who's in his second year of playing and if you count games where he had 2 ankles it's early in his second year...

PRTqiCz.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Depth has been an issue for a long time and it's not really just a Rutgers thing. It's what separates the blue bloods from everyone else.
Even if you go back just to the Graber era, how many times did we start seasons well and then injuries, academics, etc. hit and we would get blown out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT