ADVERTISEMENT

OT: #1 NJ to Syracuse

I hear your point but no. They sucked well before the ACC move. The 11 years before in the Big East they went 22 and 54. That's a 29% winning percentage. They were the dregs of the league for a sustained period of time.
Imo people equate the SU RU divergence I think to Leonard rice Greene and being a zero sum game but RU became a respectable program because schiano made them a legitimate option for staying close to home not because one particular program slid back. He gave kids an option to where they didn’t have to go to Pitt or SU or BC to go to a decent program.

Reactions: Kbee3
No doubt Fran can recruit with the best of them
But can he coach? Can he manage a program? Deal w/the media? Delegate responsibility? Can he fundraise?
All TBD

Imo people equate the SU RU divergence I think to Leonard rice Greene and being a zero sum game but RU became a respectable program because schiano made them a legitimate option for staying close to home not because one particular program slid back. He gave kids an option to where they didn’t have to go to Pitt or SU or BC to go to a decent program.
Well it certainly didn’t hurt those guys basically fell into our lap.

It did help speed up the process.

Well it certainly didn’t hurt those guys basically fell into our lap.

It did help speed up the process.
I think GS's demand that his coaches and recruiters visit every NJ HS every season.. regardless of how many D1 prospects they had... that support of NJ HS football.. important. And teh attitude that produced that decision helped outside NJ as well. I wonder if GS still does that. No one outside NJ could even try that.

I think GS's demand that his coaches and recruiters visit every NJ HS every season.. regardless of how many D1 prospects they had... that support of NJ HS football.. important. And teh attitude that produced that decision helped outside NJ as well. I wonder if GS still does that. No one outside NJ could even try that.
now that we mostly recruit national- we may not have the resources to be quite as heavy on that- I am sure we are at the powerhouses all the time- and then the schools of maybe the top 50 kids. And then we will poke around smaller schools that are near the power houses- Like here in Mahwah with DBP- his coaches can easily stop in at Mahwah/Ramsey/Indian Hills/Northern Highlands - etc if they have heard of an under radar kid. But during 1.0, I bet 80% of his staff recruiting time was turning over stones in NJ

now that we mostly recruit national- we may not have the resources to be quite as heavy on that- I am sure we are at the powerhouses all the time- and then the schools of maybe the top 50 kids. And then we will poke around smaller schools that are near the power houses- Like here in Mahwah with DBP- his coaches can easily stop in at Mahwah/Ramsey/Indian Hills/Northern Highlands - etc if they have heard of an under radar kid. But during 1.0, I bet 80% of his staff recruiting time was turning over stones in NJ
Yeah.. I forget sometimes that TIME is a zero-sum game. You only have so many recruiters and so many hours. And so much is virtual now. Every hour you spend building relationships someplace that is not likely to help you, is an hour you could have spent in some way that could.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
He been around a championhip operation now. He has to manage the team and make game day decisions. He has a OC and DC that coaches the units
The people around him will help, but in the end like all HCs Brown has to prove he's up to the job.
Going from position coach for the Bulldogs to Orange's HC will be quite a jump, so Fran will need all the support he can get from his coordinators and even them giving their best might not be good enough to make Brown a successful HC.
He'll probably need to lean on Rocky Long as he learns how to the head fruit and that might just help him know what it takes to be the one in charge instead of taking orders from the HC & DC

The people around him will help, but in the end like all HCs Brown has to prove he's up to the job.
Going from position coach for the Bulldogs to Orange's HC will be quite a jump, so Fran will need all the support he can get from his coordinators and even them giving their best might not be good enough to make Brown a successful HC.
He'll probably need to lean on Rocky Long as he learns how to the head fruit and that might just help him know what it takes to be the one in charge instead of taking orders from the HC & DC
Will be a transition. Guys are learning every year on the job. Everything won’t go right. He won’t have Rocky to lean on. He’s part of the old staff.

Will be a transition. Guys are learning every year on the job. Everything won’t go right. He won’t have Rocky to lean on. He’s part of the old staff.
"He won’t have Rocky to lean on. He’s part of the old staff."
WTF
That's just the reason Brown can learn what it takes to be a HC from Rocky.
Just learning on his own would make the transition from taking orders to giving them harder.
Long's experience as the Lobo's HC will help Brown be able to lean on someone when he needs advice on being a HC and what he should designate to his staff.
If Long wasn't on staff Fran might just have to lean on Nuzzio and Elijah for advice hoping their time as interim HCs would help them give him some guidance on how to best handle being a HC instead of being under one not carrying the whole load

I went back in the recruiting history and when Flood took over Rutgers pretty much stop getting Top 15 NJ recruits, they all went to national football programs especially Penn State and this continued with Ash. When Schiano came back so did some of the Top NJ 15 recruits.

I went back to 2010-2020 NJ recruits and only 1-2 top 20 NJ recruits ever choose Syracuse, maybe before Schiano, Syracuse got more recruits or they got mostly top NJ 30-50 recruits. I guess recruits didn’t go to Syracuse because of the weather.
Is that data easy to share? I feel like the only time we ever did well with the top 15 was when Hafley was here.

Is that data easy to share? I feel like the only time we ever did well with the top 15 was when Hafley was here.
2020 (4 in the top 22 MAx Melton #22 and plenty of other top 30 in NJ and NY) , 2021 (6 out top 15), 2022 (7 out of top 18), 2023 (5 out of top 18 & plenty of top NY)

Every year that Schiano came back, maybe it’s Schiano and not Hafley and Brown. Flood and Ash didnt push the recruiting and got none.

Reactions: Pils86
"He won’t have Rocky to lean on. He’s part of the old staff."
WTF
That's just the reason Brown can learn what it takes to be a HC from Rocky.
Just learning on his own would make the transition from taking orders to giving them harder.
Long's experience as the Lobo's HC will help Brown be able to lean on someone when he needs advice on being a HC and what he should designate to his staff.
If Long wasn't on staff Fran might just have to lean on Nuzzio and Elijah for advice hoping their time as interim HCs would help them give him some guidance on how to best handle being a HC instead of being under one not carrying the whole load
lol Why would Long stay? He has no affliation with Fran, Why stay on the east coast when he can coach somehere like San Diego st with Tony White? Are you new to college musical chairs?

I watched WCU a few times this year. Not sure a guy Yasin's size matches what Bell does as an OC. He seems to like those 5'8 type guys. Catch balls out of the backfield etc

You called this correctly.

Bell has contacted RB Desmond Reed 5-8, 170 pounds from Miami Gardens FLA for a visit to Pittsburgh.

Reed was the Top RB for WCU with good stats (131 carries, 897 Total Yards, 13 TD and 6.8 YPC).

Reed is excited for his visit to Pitt.

He should fit in well in Pitt's new offense.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
You called this correctly.

Bell has contracted RB Desmond Reed 5-8, 170 pounds from Miami Gardens FLA for a visit to Pittsburgh.

Reed was the Top RB for WCU with good stats (131 carries, 897 Total Yards, 13 TD and 6.8 YPC).

Reed is excited for his visit to Pitt.

He should fit in well in Pitt's new offense.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
surprised they didn't offer the QB. threw for almost 3000 yards, 28 TD's only 8 Int's completed 66% of his passes

Along these lines I don't like Greg Schiano and the $16 million still owed to him but I have to accept it.

On the other hand...... I can thank my lucky stars we're not Pitt who gave Narduzzi an extension until 2030 and now a year later find themselves completely screwed with a coach the fanbase hates, locker room full of primadonna's (try saying Phil wasn't a complete crybaby), and stuck with a coach that sucks because they can't afford to buy him out...

The fan base doesn't dislike Narduzzi.

Prior to this year, Narduzzi was able to compile back to back 10 win seasons and last year beat UCLA in the Bowl Game with a back up QB.

As I also pointed out in this thread, Narduzzi was able to have 14 Pitt Players Drafted into the NFL the last 3 years. Penn State had 19 players drafted and Rutgers had 3 during the same time period..

Rutgers would be over joyed if Greg accomplished what Narduzzi was able to achieve.

Don't know why you are so down on Greg.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: vkj91
The fan base doesn't dislike Narduzzi.

Prior to this year, Narduzzi was able to compile back to back 10 win seasons and last year beat UCLA in the Bowl Game with a back up QB.

As I also pointed out in this thread, Narduzzi was able to have 14 Pitt Players Drafted into the NFL the last 3 years. Penn State had 19 players drafted and Rutgers had 3 during the same time period..

Rutgers would be over joyed if Greg accomplished what Narduzzi was able to achieve.

Don't know why you are so down on Greg.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
It’s obvious @yessir321 hasn’t watched a Pitt game since they left the Big East

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
7 defensive players and 1 offensive player at Syracuse entered the transfer portal. Brown better learn how to keep his team happy or not enough players to play a game.

7 defensive players and 1 offensive player at Syracuse entered the transfer portal. Brown better learn how to keep his team happy or not enough players to play a game.
There will be more. Transfer portal and a coaching change. Players are gonna go into the portal and some with come out. I bet you won't have that same energy when they get transfers in

It's going to be comical seeing the scores of them getting torched due to their staff having no idea what they are doing on on game day.

Epic train wreck incoming in the tundra. Good news is hardly anyone will really care.

It's called delusion. Fran Brown has no idea what he's doing once he leaves the living room.

Great recruiter to have on staff but don't let him touch the field.

Let's be honest. Sarah made a desperate hire. But that's what you have to do when you have no real options and are a dead end job in a dying conference. It was really their only move. And it will be an epic disaster.

Their best option was to hire Marrone but apparently he rebuked efforts when reached out to. So they had to really roll the dice.

Epic train wreck incoming in the tundra. Good news is hardly anyone will really care.
Being one of the worse P5 teams the last 8 years isnt a train wreck? . Man how the expectation have changed. Relying on a Dinosaur coach to get you to 6-6 records each year. How fun

It's called delusion. Fran Brown has no idea what he's doing once he leaves the living room.

Great recruiter to have on staff but don't let him touch the field.

Let's be honest. Sarah made a desperate hire. But that's what you have to do when you have no real options and are a dead end job in a dying conference. It was really their only move. And it will be an epic disaster.

Their best option was to hire Marrone but apparently he rebuked efforts when reached out to. So they had to really roll the dice.
Delusion is thinking you look good because you get to lose against big10 powers each year.

Looks like Emanuel Ross (Red Bank Catholic) just flipped from Stanford to Cuse... that 3 of the NJ top 10 players for 2024...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT