ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 10 members of PAC-12 want to depart with $100MM of assets

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
PAC-2 is obviously filing a lawsuit to prevent them from doing so. What can these assets possibly be?

I'm just trying to figure out what they're wrestling over. I can't imagine the departing members care about the rights to the PAC12 conference name. The TV contracts now hold no sway. What could possibly be worth 100MM?

I'm just trying to figure out what they're wrestling over. I can't imagine the departing members care about the rights to the PAC12 conference name. The TV contracts now hold no sway. What could possibly be worth 100MM?
NCAA Tournament money, Rose Bowl Contract to name two.

Maybe the league office has that much accumulated over the years

I don't think it really matters. The Conference hasn't dissolved yet...the assets belong with the remaining members.
PAC 12 should keep it.. those 2 teams.

They should also keep the name... and sell Pac 8, PAC 10 and PAC 12 "classic" merchandise featuring the logos of those past members... which the PAC should still have rights to use in that context.

The 2-team PAC 12 should also be spun off into some kind of "educational" organization wholly owned by the remaining 2 teams so they may go on to compete in other conferences and still retain the rights to PAC-X.

This is the price of leaving.

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Reactions: RUTGERS95
can't believe those schools can't got to b12 with those assets or in some manner

IIRC, the same thing happened with the Big East.

Even though they added a bunch of new teams and made it the AAC, I think UConn, Cinn, and USF in addition to the exit fees from all of the schools that left got other funds like remaining Big East NCAA basketball money

Exit fees?
Seems like the more I'm reading (and if I'm understanding correctly), it's the PAC12 revenues of 2023-24...so even though most teams are fleeing to greener pastures for 2024-25, they are competing this year in the PAC12 and generating revenue for the PAC12 network in 23-24 and they want their cut of it to balance their AD budgets. If this is correct, it does make sense and all 12 teams really should have a say I would think.

Seems like the more I'm reading (and if I'm understanding correctly), it's the PAC12 revenues of 2023-24...so even though most teams are fleeing to greener pastures for 2024-25, they are competing this year in the PAC12 and generating revenue for the PAC12 network in 23-24 and they want their cut of it to balance their AD budgets. If this is correct, it does make sense and all 12 teams really should have a say I would think.
While true.. those exiting teams have destroyed any investments that WSU and OSU made to compete in the PAC12. What they are destroying, in terms of WSU and OSU is worth far more than $100M. WSU and OSU should have full control going forward as well as ownership of the history of the PAC12.

This is what should have happened when all the Catholic Schools chose to exit teh Big East.. but wanted to keep the name. Then give Rutgers the $11.5M back it had to pay to leave the AAC. Crazy stuff.. The Big East was responsible for all its football teams leaving.

WVU goes to Big 12
Rutgers goes to Big Ten
Lousiville to the ACC

Then the 7 catholic bball schools want out in 2013 and $100M of the $110 in revenues goes to the old football schools (but not Rutgers who was a Big East team, helped accrue those revenues, and will be in the AAC). No.. the bulk of the $100M goes to Cinci, USF and UCONN and Rutgers has to settle to pay $11.5M to leave. And the 7 Catholics get to keep the Big East name while, I think, keeping none of the accounts payable that they built up... pensions and etc for old Big East employees. They got to start fresh... but keep the brand name.

But they had to walk away from the revenues... or, that was the only deal they could make.

WSU and OSU should take everything they can get.

As much as I feel for the 2 remaining schools, the ones leaving were responsible for the majority of "assets" in question. Let's face it, the reason the last two schools are still there is that they were bottom feeders that reaped a lot of benefits for years that the other schools successes created.
Closing the door on the PAC12 is the only real solution I can see. The remaining schools become independents while they pursue other conferences to join.

Thanks for clarifying that. I'd personally be more than happy if Wazzou and OSU found ways to stick it to the fleeing members - maybe except (or less so) for Cal/Stanford.

Reactions: RUforester72
Keep the PAC12 name and its history.. license it for merch.. "classic PAC 8, PAC 10, PAC 12" merch including logos of the former members. PAC 12 should own it all (in reference to PAC conference, not by themselves.. like they cannot sell UCLA jerseys but can sell throwback PAC-10 tees and such). They can keep the light on until the PAC members start coming back home. Which might happen.. who knows!

Reactions: Knight Shift
I hope they find a home to be honest

I hope we are targeting quite a few on each team as they can play

So basically a two year holding pattern as the PAC-2 and MWC figure things out.

For 2026 and beyond, the most interesting proposal being discussed is a promotion-relegation system. For 2026, the top six MWC teams would join the PAC-2 in an eight team PAC-12. The remaining eight MWC teams are still the MWC. Then after each season, the top "x" MWC teams get promoted to the PAC-12, and the bottom "x" PAC-12 teams get relegated to the MWC. I am guessing that x=2, but that is undecided.

An interesting approach for the PAC-12 to retain high quality and perceived relevance. And hopefully retain/regain P5 status.

I doubt this happens, but it would be interesting if it did.

The 2 schools have a deal to play MWC teams the next 2 years (like Notre Dame and ACC) with some kind of absorption into the MWC after that. I'm assuming it's a way of hoping for greener pastures while solidifying a plan B.

I'll say it again, they've got some players so let's get on the phones and snag who we can

both qbs look legit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT