ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Tokyo Olympics Thread

OMG really? That's awful. She had an off night on Sunday but was still leading in all of the categories. Twitter posts are indicating it's a mental thing and not an injury.
This was from an interview she gave to the NYT.

Maybe the only one, but first reaction is who?

Really? She's the best gymnast in the world, even has moves named after her.

this is a photo someone took of her on Sunday:

confusing to say the least, it sounds and looks like injury related, so not sure why they are saying it isn't. She clearly fell and was clearly taped up on her foot later on. I can't imagine its mental, I mean this is not the first time she has been doing this.

Sounds like it's mental and also related to injury...in that the physical toll and pain are catching up to her mentally.

Reactions: Visengoth
confusing to say the least, it sounds and looks like injury related, so not sure why they are saying it isn't. She clearly fell and was clearly taped up on her foot later on. I can't imagine its mental, I mean this is not the first time she has been doing this.

She has talked in the past how her ankles are always painful due to the strain she puts them through every day, but she's also been dealing with a lingering ankle injury from 2019 that she re-aggravated a few weeks back. There was some talk prior to the Olympics about whether the ankle would hold up, or what percent she'd be able to go on it.

I think they want her to heal up for the individuals, if the Team wins she still gets a medal.

It sucks but she has been having a rough time over there, for her anyway. Still way ahead of everyone else.

Really? Unless you are living in a cave, how do you not know who she is?
Really. Others here in the office had the same reaction.
You are the only one. She is the most famous gymnast in the world and one of the most famous Olympics athletes besides the pro soccer and NBA guys.

I am not sure why anyone would want to show off how out of the loop they are. Kind of a weird flex.
Nope-see above. Not everyone follows Olympic sports. No need to be a dick about it. But congratulations on being one.

I’m no way a Gymnastics expert. But that skip off the floor could’ve been disastrous. She’s lucky her ankle is still in one piece.

Really. Others here in the office had the same reaction.

Nope-see above. Not everyone follows Olympic sports. No need to be a dick about it. But congratulations on being one.
Actually, why did you even post the original post in the 1st place? If you have nothing to add about a thread here, which is FINE, then don't add anything.

Posing, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS TOPIC, is just stupid and a waste of time.

You are the only one. She is the most famous gymnast in the world and one of the most famous Olympics athletes besides the pro soccer and NBA guys.

I am not sure why anyone would want to show off how out of the loop they are. Kind of a weird flex.
If you've watched ANY Olympics coverage, leading up to or during, you would have heard the name Simone Biles. As famous/well known as any US Olympian, ever.

Reactions: Plum Street
As an athlete, it’s very understandable. The girl had a nagging ankle injury. An injury in any sport and you mentally start feeling like you can’t perform to your 100% and that you will constantly be limited. Not only that, but she had every single news station and camera focused on her. I mean there were viral clips of her crying as she walked away from the balance beam after she fell off in the trials. Combine the ankle injury, and the expectations of an entire nation on your shoulders, it makes you stop focusing on the competition and more just “satisfying everyone”. Hope she takes some time off and gets a break. ( remember most gymnasts that make it to the Olympics are practically groomed since 11 years old.)

Reactions: MrsScrew
As an athlete, it’s very understandable. The girl had a nagging ankle injury. An injury in any sport and you mentally start feeling like you can’t perform to your 100% and that you will constantly be limited. Not only that, but she had every single news station and camera focused on her. I mean there were viral clips of her crying as she walked away from the balance beam after she fell off in the trials. Combine the ankle injury, and the expectations of an entire nation on your shoulders, it makes you stop focusing on the competition and more just “satisfying everyone”. Hope she takes some time off and gets a break. ( remember most gymnasts that make it to the Olympics are practically groomed since 11 years old.)

add to that that she is one of Nassar's victims .......

I assume NBC was gonna make this the focus of primetime coverage tonight . I wonder what happens now and how it affects ratings . People might tune in just to see what the hell happened.
Hopefully biles is back for the individual competition . This olympics has mostly been a snooze fest

Last edited:
I assume NBC was gonna make this the focus of primetime coverage tonight . I wonder what happens now and how it affects ratings . People might tune in just to see what the hell happened.
Hopefully biles is back for the individual competition . This olympics been a snooze fest thus far.

I guess you missed the swimming finals last night? The 17 year old girl with an upset win in the 100 meter breaststroke was amazing. She trains in a 25 meter pool for gods sake in ALASKA!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT