ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Active shooter at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

in a response to one of their players death, according to the Scoop:
Northwestern State has canceled the remainder of its football season and head coach Brad Laird has resigned, it was announced Thursday. Both moves are the result of the tragic death of Demons football player Ronnie Caldwell, a junior safety who perished in a shooting on Oct. 12.

The decision means this is the second straight college football season a team has ended its season due to the shooting death of a player or players. Last season, Virginia canceled its final two games after Cavaliers players D’Sean Perry, Lavel Davis Jr. and Devin Chandler were victims of a fatal shooting.

Northwestern State has canceled the remainder of its football season and head coach Brad Laird has resigned, it was announced Thursday. Both moves are the result of the tragic death of Demons football player Ronnie Caldwell, a junior safety who perished in a shooting on Oct. 12.

The decision means this is the second straight college football season a team has ended its season due to the shooting death of a player or players. Last season, Virginia canceled its final two games after Cavaliers players D’Sean Perry, Lavel Davis Jr. and Devin Chandler were victims of a fatal shooting.

Not for nothing, but this guy was not on campus like the UVA players:

Northwestern State football player Ronnie Caldwell died after he was shot multiple times on Thursday morning, according to the Natchitoches Parish Coroner's Office in Louisiana. He was 21.

The shooting took place around 1:08 a.m. local time on University Parkway, near Northwestern State's campus.

Big difference.

Not for nothing, but this guy was not on campus like the UVA players:

Big difference.
actually it wasn't the location he was shot at that caused the season to end, it was the fact he was one of the players that made the program decide to cancel the rest of season after giving it some thought..
Location of shooting didn't make one bit of a difference, it was Ronnie Caldwell's relationship to team that did

Reactions: ruinac
actually it wasn't the location he was shot at that caused the season to end, it was the fact he was one of the players that made the program decide to cancel the rest of season after giving it some thought..
Location of shooting didn't make one bit of a difference, it was Ronnie Caldwell's relationship to team that did
If a different teammate was shot and killed would the team have finished the season? Would Ronnie Caldwell have wanted to finish the season had another teammate been shot and killed? What if it were a coach? What if it were a team manager.. or kicker? What if it were a band member or cheerleader?

If a different teammate was shot and killed would the team have finished the season? Would Ronnie Caldwell have wanted to finish the season had another teammate been shot and killed? What if it were a coach? What if it were a team manager.. or kicker? What if it were a band member or cheerleader?
This might give a hint ( kid wasn't playing due to an injury but traveled with the team and was helping the coaches with the DBs

Northwestern State University announced today, October 26, that it has canceled the remainder of the 2023 football season due to the recent passing of junior safety, Ronnie Caldwell. The school cites the mental health and wellbeing of its student-athletes as the primary reason for its decision.

"Ronnie was a beloved member of our community, and we miss him dearly," said NSU President Dr. Marcus Jones. "While our instinct was to return to the field of play following his death, we've since learned that the hurt on our team was too deep. Now it is in the best interest of our players, coaches, and staff to pause and to take this time to mourn, to heal, and to support Ronnie's family."

The school has also accepted the resignation of head coach, Brad Laird, who was in his sixth season as head coach of the Demons football team.

"Due to the loss of Ronnie and the emotional burden it has caused me, I don't feel I can give my all to these players or this program," Laird said. "Any coach will tell you that their players become like family, so the loss of Ronnie was like losing a son. I love this program and this university and I know it will persevere and move forward with the competitive spirit that is at the core of our DNA."
https://www.wdsu.com/article/northw...otball-season-following-player-death/45657820

This is about how a program handled one of their players being killed.
Lets not make it into another issue and CE Board material
I'm not after your guns, I'm just saying a program canceled its season over a player dying after being shot in a thread about an active shooter (alert)

Reactions: hoquat63
This might give a hint ( kid wasn't playing due to an injury but traveled with the team and was helping the coaches with the DBs

Northwestern State University announced today, October 26, that it has canceled the remainder of the 2023 football season due to the recent passing of junior safety, Ronnie Caldwell. The school cites the mental health and wellbeing of its student-athletes as the primary reason for its decision.

"Ronnie was a beloved member of our community, and we miss him dearly," said NSU President Dr. Marcus Jones. "While our instinct was to return to the field of play following his death, we've since learned that the hurt on our team was too deep. Now it is in the best interest of our players, coaches, and staff to pause and to take this time to mourn, to heal, and to support Ronnie's family."

The school has also accepted the resignation of head coach, Brad Laird, who was in his sixth season as head coach of the Demons football team.

"Due to the loss of Ronnie and the emotional burden it has caused me, I don't feel I can give my all to these players or this program," Laird said. "Any coach will tell you that their players become like family, so the loss of Ronnie was like losing a son. I love this program and this university and I know it will persevere and move forward with the competitive spirit that is at the core of our DNA."
https://www.wdsu.com/article/northw...otball-season-following-player-death/45657820

This is about how a program handled one of their players being killed.
Lets not make it into another issue and CE Board material
I'm not after your guns, I'm just saying a program canceled its season over a player dying after being shot in a thread about an active shooter (alert)
They are also 0-6.

And why did you even bring up that CE board stuff? I did not. Why are you assuming anything about my post that is not in evidence? I asked legitimate questions... that you couldn't answer because it wouldn't fit your preferred scenario. They canceled the season because an important member of their family died. I humbly suggest that if they were 6-0 they would be telling a different story about finishing the season strong to honor Ronnie Caldwell.

They are also 0-6.

And why did you even bring up that CE board stuff? I did not. Why are you assuming anything about my post that is not in evidence? I asked legitimate questions... that you couldn't answer because it wouldn't fit your preferred scenario. They canceled the season because an important member of their family died. I humbly suggest that if they were 6-0 they would be telling a different story about finishing the season strong to honor Ronnie Caldwell.
Maybe yes about your 6-0 implication or even the HC would have been fired for the team bot winning.
But the fact was season was canceled over that players death and any questions about if it was the coach , a cheerleader or anyone else doesn't matter .
Any one else might have caused cancellation or could have been just because of the the way the player was thought about by all involved with the program..
Heck you could have asked about if it was a booster, because none of us knows the answer and can only go by what the school and HC said

My preferred scenario was only one that shown a school canceling it season in a thread started about a possible shooter.
Your claiming my having a preferred scenario makes me glad to have anticipated backslash and trying to cut the complaints, that might hijack the thread, off at the pass

In today's world everyone expects an ulterior motive , I assure you I didn't have one
when I replied to your message with information about the reason and the article, with link, I found that info in .
Sad fact:
Sometimes even providing info about something makes people feel like they are being abused.
I mentioned not to turn what I posted into CE board material because most times shootings are being discussed the thread turns into an political argument that belongs on the CE board Now you know it wasn't about you or what questions you asked

The thing is there have been other teams over the years who lost a player to violence, and they didn't cancel the season.

In UVA's case, they had 3 players killed by a former player on campus, so it was a terribly emotional situation for them. (Heck I heard about it from Tyler: he wasn't at UVA yet, but was in Charlottesville going to PVCC. That incident affected the whole community down there.)

Honest question…Someone help me connect what this has to do with the active shooter false alarm at Ft Dix.

The thing is there have been other teams over the years who lost a player to violence, and they didn't cancel the season.

In UVA's case, they had 3 players killed by a former player on campus, so it was a terribly emotional situation for them. (Heck I heard about it from Tyler: he wasn't at UVA yet, but was in Charlottesville going to PVCC. That incident affected the whole community down there.)
each program that loses a player to violence handles it the way they feel best for it.
GOR brought up would winning kept the season from being canceled, no one can answer that but Northwestern State .
I'm only going by what the school said was the reason and won;t claim what I guess might be the cause.

Honest question…Someone help me connect what this has to do with the active shooter false alarm at Ft Dix.
A very valid question
the answer is: nothing really connects the two except involving (false alarm) shooting and a real one
The reason it was put here
I didn't want to start a new thread about Northwestern State canceling it's season because one of their players were shot, but felt that info was worth sharing and this thread was as good as any ,because it was shooting related

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
fk u twit

I didn't see the news till after this post. Some of us don't live our lives up other people's assholes

that said, being on edge is ridiculous given the distance, low probability

fk u twit one more time

Don't take it political. You've been warned. I just deleted the first post trying to do so. You want to sling politics, do it on the CE Board.
I'm just glad that we can now randomly call people names lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT