ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alabama

I can only speak for myself, but if a buddy calls me and asks me to bring his gun down to the college bars, I’m more likely to call the cops than say “sure thing bro, be right there.” Why does that ethical standard not apply?

There are two things to consider here for Miller. The legal position and the university’s & team’s ethical position.
Ethics aren’t universal. I’m anti-gun. I assume Alabama has loose laws. Regardless, you expect a school to penalize a player for not breaking the law ?

Two people, including a player, are charged with capital murder. They aren’t sweeping anything under the rug. The story is Miller brought Miles a gun he legally owns without knowing it would be used in a murder. Oats offered an awful, poorly worded explanation, but still not a crime by Miller. And surely Oats will be required to take BS sensitivity training. Davon Clark knew of the crime, Miller did not.

Take off your conspiracy goggles. Sorry guys, major crimes get prosecuted in the south too, even for star athletes
Just gonna ignore the part about his car blocking the exit?

Not ignoring. I am saying they aren’t looking the other way. If a crime was indeed committed under Alabama law, the star player will be charged.

Not ignoring. I am saying they aren’t looking the other way. If a crime was indeed committed under Alabama law, the star player will be charged.
Because authorities have never looked the other way when it come to big time athletes, that's adorable.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You actually believe that Miller had no idea something bad was about to go down? Also did you miss the part where his car was blocking the victim's jeep from leaving?
Miller gave Miles a gun with one in the chamber, he even told him that there was a round in the chamber, why else would he do that? If Miller didn't think the gun was going to be used, wouldn't he have emptied the chamber for his friend's safety? The argument he didn't think nothing was going down is bullshit.

Reactions: shields
Ethics aren’t universal. I’m anti-gun. I assume Alabama has loose laws. Regardless, you expect a school to penalize a player for not breaking the law ?
First, I have no idea what you mean when you say “ethics aren’t universal.”

Second, I expect a school to have different standards than the law. And this isn’t a hard one to figure out. Don’t bring loaded gun to your friend who is clearly pissed off about something to a crowded area full of drunk kids and use your car to block in the victim.

Is this really difficult to understand?

Show your work, murder case.
The murderer got charged in this case and we're not talking about murder charges for Miller, are we? But I find it hard to believe that someone can give a loaded gun to a situation and take part (using his car to block in the victim) and no charges can be dug up of any kind.

Someone in the DA's office down there is refusing to do their job, I wonder why:

FphoGeXXoAAi2Qb

The murderer got charged in this case and we're not talking about murder charges for Miller, are we? But I find it hard to believe that someone can give a loaded gun to a situation and take part (using his car to block in the victim) and no charges can be dug up of any kind.

Someone in the DA's office down there is refusing to do their job, I wonder why:

FphoGeXXoAAi2Qb
Still waiting. Make a claim, give example.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
This entire situation is sad and bizarre.

I've been texting with a reporter who covers Alabama basketball recruiting about this.

He said the gun belonged to Darius Miles. At some point he was a passenger in Brandon Miller's car & left the gun in it. Miles texted Miller and asked Miller to bring the gun to him at some club.

Miles never entered the club because the line to get in was too long.

Miller brought Miles the gun. Miles gave it to another guy who fired the weapon at people resulting in the loss of life.

Tuscaloosa chief deputy D.A. said "There’s nothing we could charge him (Miller) with.’'

Sounds odd to me but I don't know Alabama law.

What's also crazy to me is that Nate Oats consulted with Ray Lewis, of all people, in the days after the murder.

I guess if one of his players gets a girl pregnant he'll reach out to Rae Carruth.

Last edited:
So if there are no criminal charges filed the team shouldn't discipline him?
So as a coach, even if no laws are broken, you're OK with one of your players driving around at night in the early morning hours with a loaded handgun in his car and bringing it to a bar/club for a friend?

Last edited:
So as a coach, even if no laws are broken, you're OK with one of your players driving around at night with a loaded handgun in his car and bringing it to a bar/club for a friend?
Player admits transporting a fireman not belonging to him, bet if you look at Alabama laws that probably is a crime.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Nate Oats has “clarified” his comments. Still nothing about any potential punishments or further action.

“I thought it was important for me to clarify the unfortunate remarks I made earlier,” Oats said in a statement released by UA Athletics. “This entire time I’ve tried to be thoughtful in my words relative to this tragic incident, and my statements came across poorly.

“We were informed by law enforcement of other student-athletes being in the vicinity, and law enforcement has repeatedly told us that no other student-athletes were suspects – they were witnesses only. Our understanding is that they have all been fully truthful and cooperative.

“In no way did I intend to downplay the seriousness of this situation or the tragedy of that night. My prayers continue to go out to Jamea Harris’ family.”

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...-case-Brandon-Miller-Jaden-Bradley-205111193/
I predict he will be fired over this

If this were Rutgers, Pike and Hobbs would have been fired already...and people would be clamoring for Holloways neck

If this were Rutgers, Pike and Hobbs would have been fired already...and people would be clamoring for Holloways neck
Are you kidding me? If this was here, College Avenue would be on fire and it would get top National billing over the economy and The war in Ukraine.

I can't believe there are a couple of posters defending this kid.

So- your friend, Miles, calls you and asks you to get his gun and make sure it is loaded. Then, he just needs you to block the road so no one could get out...If that is not some level of accomplice, then I don't know what is.
What I didn't see. I would "assume" miller was close enough where he then must have heard the gun go off- did he report the shooting?
This is not college kids being college kids and you can't control everything they do. This also goes way beyond C Strong needing to remind players that guns, drugs and beating women is not a good thing.
And let's say Miller really did not know the intent of Miles- he should be charged just with the information they already have and at least have it go to grand jury.
And to just keep playing. 100% sure if this was any other "civilian" even in Bama, they would have been charged with something.

So as a coach, even if no laws are broken, you're OK with one of your players driving around at night in the early morning hours with a loaded handgun in his car and bringing it to a bar/club for a friend?
Colbert....again I am anti-gun. If my kid did this, he'd have a lot of explaining to for associating with people who carry guns with them regardless of the legality.

I assume gun 'morality' in Alabama is much different than mine. Regardless, bringing a gun to facilitate a murder and/or restraining and impeding to enable the murder are both 'committing murder' in all 50 states, even Alabama. Two are arrested, capital murder. They ain't letting the third guy go just because he's a star player. Not for Joe Namath 60 years ago and especially not today.

So, I am 100% sure it didn't happen that way. No knowledge or intent. Person A returns gun to Person B which was left in his car. Later, Person B gives to Person C who shoots. If Person A didn't break any laws and had no knowledge...then no. Wrong place wrong time.

So- your friend, Miles, calls you and asks you to get his gun and make sure it is loaded. Then, he just needs you to block the road so no one could get out...If that is not some level of accomplice, then I don't know what is.
What I didn't see. I would "assume" miller was close enough where he then must have heard the gun go off- did he report the shooting?
This is not college kids being college kids and you can't control everything they do. This also goes way beyond C Strong needing to remind players that guns, drugs and beating women is not a good thing.
And let's say Miller really did not know the intent of Miles- he should be charged just with the information they already have and at least have it go to grand jury.
And to just keep playing. 100% sure if this was any other "civilian" even in Bama, they would have been charged with something.
you are completely inventing that scenario. lame. what you describe is murder. They ain't looking the other way in that scenario.

Not a gun owner but a bunch of my friends are.

If my friend asks me to take his gun to him, isn't it illegal for me to possess and transport it?

My friend actually moved a couple weeks ago and moved his guns the night before to the new apt. Could I have tossed his guns in my car and driven to his new place?

you are completely inventing that scenario. lame. what you describe is murder. They ain't looking the other way in that scenario.
I am going by the report that I read that Miller had a dash cam showing his car placed to block the road. Also that he informed Miles that there was one in the chamber.

If both of those are true- then it should be enough to charge him. If those reports are false and all he really did do was go get a gun that his friend owned, then he shouldn't.

The coach's response though, either way- was horrific.

I am going by the report that I read that Miller had a dash cam showing his car placed to block the road. Also that he informed Miles that there was one in the chamber.

If both of those are true- then it should be enough to charge him. If those reports are false and all he really did do was go get a gun that his friend owned, then he shouldn't.

The car blocking the road needs to be more looked into as I've seen photos of the road and it's very narrow, he could have been blocking them but not intentionally.

But Miller telling Miles one is in the chamber is a huge red flag to his claim he didn't know anything was going down. Miller definitely knew that Miles had bad intentions with the gun when he gave it to him. I find it hard to believe there is nothing to charge him with based on that.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Not a gun owner but a bunch of my friends are.

If my friend asks me to take his gun to him, isn't it illegal for me to possess and transport it?

My friend actually moved a couple weeks ago and moved his guns the night before to the new apt. Could I have tossed his guns in my car and driven to his new place?
It's crazy but it's different by state. I live in CT, if you don't have a permit, it's a felony to possess a handgun other than in your home. You have to be 21 to get a permit.

Alabama has few restrictions - anyone over 18 not restricted by state or federal laws can carry a handgun - no permit, no training, no background check

Reactions: NickRU714
It's crazy but it's different by state. I live in CT, if you don't have a permit, it's a felony to possess a handgun other than in your home. You have to be 21 to get a permit.

Alabama has few restrictions - anyone over 18 not restricted by state or federal laws can carry a handgun - no permit, no training, no background check
I'm pro-2A but that's just nuts.

I can only speak for myself, but if a buddy calls me and asks me to bring his gun down to the college bars, I’m more likely to call the cops than say “sure thing bro, be right there.” Why does that ethical standard not apply?

There are two things to consider here for Miller. The legal position and the university’s & team’s ethical position.

Remind me not to ask you for help in hiding the "body"

This entire situation is sad and bizarre.

I've been texting with a reporter who covers Alabama basketball recruiting about this.

He said the gun belonged to Darius Miles. At some point he was a passenger in Brandon Miller's car & left the gun in it. Miles texted Miller and asked Miller to bring the gun to him at some club.

Miles never entered the club because the line to get in was too long.

Miller brought Miles the gun. Miles gave it to another guy who fired the weapon at people resulting in the loss of life.

Tuscaloosa chief deputy D.A. said "There’s nothing we could charge him (Miller) with.’'

Sounds odd to me but I don't know Alabama law.

What's also crazy to me is that Nate Oats consulted with Ray Lewis, of all people, in the days after the murder.

I guess if one of his players gets a girl pregnant he'll reach out to Rae Carruth.
OUCH!

Reactions: MiloTalon13

No, Miller didn't tell Miles that there was one in the chamber. Miles told Davis (the shooter) that there was one in the chamber.

From the AL.com article:

When Miller got to the scene, Miles told Davis, “The heat is in the hat.” Det. Branden Culpepper said that meant a gun was present.

Miles added, “There’s one in the head.” That, Culpepper said, meant a round was in the chamber.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
So, I am 100% sure it didn't happen that way. No knowledge or intent. Person A returns gun to Person B which was left in his car. Later, Person B gives to Person C who shoots. If Person A didn't break any laws and had no knowledge...then no. Wrong place wrong time.
Good call....

"After the encounter, the suspects walked to a nearby parking lot around 1:40 a.m. Around the same time according to text messages shown in court, Miles texted Miller, "I need my joint a n****r rl jus got fakin"."

https://www.wvtm13.com/amp/article/...er-shooting-murder-court-alabama-gun/43012520

No, Miller didn't tell Miles that there was one in the chamber. Miles told Davis (the shooter) that there was one in the chamber.

From the AL.com article:

When Miller got to the scene, Miles told Davis, “The heat is in the hat.” Det. Branden Culpepper said that meant a gun was present.

Miles added, “There’s one in the head.” That, Culpepper said, meant a round was in the chamber.
Oh, ok, that's a horse of a different color then.

In all of the things I've read, I missed the part where Miles told Miller to make sure his gun was loaded.

Where'd you get that info?

Miller was likely close enough that he heard the gun go off. Miller's car was struck by two bullets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT