ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep claiming that you speak for everyone being demonized and how they don't care what anyone says.. and yet you keep responding.. showing just how much you care about what was said.

And YOU still don't understand my point.

What possible reason could there be for that EV station government edict to be the way it is other than it is being required by the leftist politicians?

That is the point.

You want to call it stereotyping 40% of the population.. that is all an inference choice you are making and not an implication I have made other than to say "the left" is permitting their politicians to be manipulated by those behind moves like this EV station thing.

"The left" deserves to know this so "the left" can correct it. I do not think "the left" wants the EV build-out to fail. I do think the politicians of the left who mandated these rules don't care if it fails as long as they and their benefactors get their payoffs.

Who else can do something about this? Do you think anyone on "the right" had anything to do with this?
You're wrong, I can't possibly care what you said because I don't know what you said. 99.9% of the time, I stop reading posts at the first use of "left", "right", "leftist", "righty", whatever. I lose all interest when I see a poster engaging in bullshit partisan politics.

Whatever people might have to say, no matter how substantive it might be, once they drag politics into it, it becomes not only totally subjective, but more often than not, a gross oversimplification of something. Political finger pointing and oversimplification are a matched set. I'll pass, thanks.

That's why you NEVER see me engage in partisan demonization. I never demonize the left or right. If I'm saying something negative, about more than a single politician, it's invariably about both sides.

What's lazy is reposing stuff that you didn't personally verify first just because it conforms to your viewpoint or aligns with what you want to be true.

All you had to do was say you looked into the sources and they seemed legit to you. But you didn't. Instead you're trying to bluster your way past the question so you don't have to admit you had (and probably still have) no clue about the validity of that chart.

It's okay. That's the typical approach these days. You're just like most people. Good job. 👍
Wait, aren't you the guy who said The New York Times was the best news source?
How is anyone going to take you seriously after that?

You keep claiming that you speak for everyone being demonized and how they don't care what anyone says.. and yet you keep responding.. showing just how much you care about what was said.

And YOU still don't understand my point.

What possible reason could there be for that EV station government edict to be the way it is other than it is being required by the leftist politicians?

That is the point.

You want to call it stereotyping 40% of the population.. that is all an inference choice you are making and not an implication I have made other than to say "the left" is permitting their politicians to be manipulated by those behind moves like this EV station thing.

"The left" deserves to know this so "the left" can correct it. I do not think "the left" wants the EV build-out to fail. I do think the politicians of the left who mandated these rules don't care if it fails as long as they and their benefactors get their payoffs.

Who else can do something about this? Do you think anyone on "the right" had anything to do with this?

I think you’re totally ignoring the underlying problem that “the left” is trying to solve. If you have solutions, fire away.

You’re also ignoring the strategic, geopolitical and economic importance of us scaling up EV and other renewable technology manufacturing. The world and the majority of our country is going to electrify whether or not you want it to - do you want America participating in those export markets - or would you rather cede the next century of economic dominance to China?

Reactions: fg7321
Wait, aren't you the guy who said The New York Times was the best news source?
How is anyone going to take you seriously after that?
LOL. You have me confused with someone else.

Although I think the NYT and Fox News are almost certainly equally fine news sources, each with their leans that I can ignore, I haven’t seen an article from either in longer than I can remember. At least several years and probably a lot longer.

But way more importantly, why would anybody GAF about being taken seriously on an Internet forum? Pretty sure most people don’t know when I’m being serious or not anyway, which is perfect. 🙂

I think you’re totally ignoring the underlying problem that “the left” is trying to solve. If you have solutions, fire away.

If we can step away from whoever passed this legislation to build the charging stations, let's look at the reasons that barely any have been built. Apparently the legislation included so many provisions for the work to be done that I can only label it as social engineering. And that's a huge mistake.

If we can step away from whoever passed this legislation to build the charging stations, let's look at the reasons that barely any have been built. Apparently the legislation included so many provisions for the work to be done that I can only label it as social engineering. And that's a huge mistake.

Well, Id prefer to focus on the financial challenges, permitting, infrastructure and regulatory challenges before leaping into something as esoteric as social engineering. Yes, the IRA had prevailing wage provisions for the tax incentives were geared towards both rural and urban underserved areas (because more affluent folks charge at home and developers dont need help with an ROI in affluent areas).

Many of those challenges are at the state level, where power is actually regulated (as well as permitting, etc) - As well as the need for the Department of Labor and the IRS to put together the rules within the bounds of the IRA (thats not a conspiracy - you need actual experts to fill out the details of a law to make it work). The IRA passed in August 2022 - figure a year to put together the granular details for implementation - so practically, its only been about a year.

Front page? Wall Street Journal.
Front page? There are still newspapers? I haven’t seen one of those in forever.

Which is troubling to me in recent years because I’m forced to use printer paper when starting fires in my fireplace. Wait… ah dammit!

I just realized that I have a perpetually full shredder bin full of perfect fire starter material and I’ve been tearing up fresh unused printer paper instead. Doh! 🤦‍♂️

What a moron! 🤣

Well, Id prefer to focus on the financial challenges, permitting, infrastructure and regulatory challenges before leaping into something as esoteric as social engineering. Yes, the IRA had prevailing wage provisions for the tax incentives were geared towards both rural and urban underserved areas (because more affluent folks charge at home and developers dont need help with an ROI in affluent areas).

Many of those challenges are at the state level, where power is actually regulated (as well as permitting, etc) - As well as the need for the Department of Labor and the IRS to put together the rules within the bounds of the IRA (thats not a conspiracy - you need actual experts to fill out the details of a law to make it work). The IRA passed in August 2022 - figure a year to put together the granular details for implementation - so practically, its only been about a year.

So, figuratively, if you want to get something done why do you wrap it in the bullshit people are referring to?

Look at what they did to clear the channel under the collapsed bridge in Baltimore harbor. Do you think they were tacking on all kinds of provisions about doing the work? No, they were focusing on the job at hand.

Which is troubling to me in recent years because I’m forced to use printer paper when starting fires in my fireplace. Wait… ah dammit!

I just realized that I have a perpetually full shredder bin full of perfect fire starter material and I’ve been tearing up fresh unused printer paper instead. Doh! 🤦‍♂️

What a moron! 🤣

What a maroon!

We just stock up on grocery store flyers and use those for our fire starters during the winter.

Since I posed the question, I'll share my picks:

WSJ news (not the op-eds)
NYT (though you have to correct for the liberal tilt)
BBC
PBS News Hour
The Economist

PBS News Hour dropped considerably the last 5 years because Judy Woodruff up to her retirement allowed her hated of Trump to have a major impact on her reporting and it didn't change after she retired. Oh for the days of MacNeil/Lehrer

Reactions: bac2therac
What a maroon!

We just stock up on grocery store flyers and use those for our fire starters during the winter.
I've always avoided plasticky papers or stuff w/multicolored inks, which I've been told (but never verified) can gunk up the chimney flue. Come to think of it, I have no idea if printer paper might not be doing the same thing, although I doubt it.

But the shredded documents seem non-gunky to me so I'll just start using that. Hopefully I don't burn down my house.

Since I posed the question, I'll share my picks:

WSJ news (not the op-eds)
NYT (though you have to correct for the liberal tilt)
BBC
PBS News Hour
The Economist
People keep telling me that BBC provides fairly unbiased, dry reporting of US news. I do very little reading of news, but I may have to give it a shot.

Right now, my only news source is AP articles that show up in my twitter feed. But I mostly skip the AP articles unless it's actually something new (which is exceedingly rare) 'cause AP has been becoming a bit too hyped up and biased for my tastes lately.

So yeah, maybe I can add BBC US news only to my feed. The problem with BBC, though, is that they insist on misspelling everything. Like "analyse" or "oestrogen" or pretty much any word with an "o" in it where they insist on injecting a superfluous "u" after the "o" (e.g. "humour").

I assume they do that just to be snobby, those redcoat royal bastards.

I've always avoided plasticky papers or stuff w/multicolored inks, which I've been told (but never verified) can gunk up the chimney flue. Come to think of it, I have no idea if printer paper might not be doing the same thing, although I doubt it.

We use the newspaper type fliers which are not glossy or have plastic stuff on them.

People keep telling me that BBC provides fairly unbiased, dry reporting of US news. I do very little reading of news, but I may have to give it a shot.

I've found the BBC has skewed left over the last 5 years ago. It's definitely not unbiased.

You’re also ignoring the strategic, geopolitical and economic importance of us scaling up EV and other renewable technology manufacturing. The world and the majority of our country is going to electrify whether or not you want it to - do you want America participating in those export markets - or would you rather cede the next century of economic dominance to China?
Geeze.. how can you miss the fact that I am not arguing against building EV charging stations with government assistance? I am arguing that "the left" has infected that effort with so much DEI crap that they have built so few of them for so much money that it is INSANE.

So, a SANE plan would be to strip out all this crap and let any contractors build out the infrastructure via open bid with some test for COMPETENCE.. not for some kind of minority status... some kind of identity-based indicator as to whether they will support Biden in 2024.. not for how much they "give back" to Dem get-out-the-vote NGO type orgs.. but chosen for competence and price and ability to deliver.

And if the choice is build out the EV infrastructure for 10X+ the price it should and taking 10X longer at the same time (because of all this leftist crap) or NOT building it out at all.. if that's the choice I say forget EV. ICE forever, DRILL BABY DRILL. Until sanity returns on the left and they kick these lunatics to the curb and let the adults take over.

Geeze.. how can you miss the fact that I am not arguing against building EV charging stations with government assistance? I am arguing that "the left" has infected that effort with so much DEI crap that they have built so few of them for so much money that it is INSANE.

So, a SANE plan would be to strip out all this crap and let any contractors build out the infrastructure via open bid with some test for COMPETENCE.. not for some kind of minority status... some kind of identity-based indicator as to whether they will support Biden in 2024.. not for how much they "give back" to Dem get-out-the-vote NGO type orgs.. but chosen for competence and price and ability to deliver.

And if the choice is build out the EV infrastructure for 10X+ the price it should and taking 10X longer at the same time (because of all this leftist crap) or NOT building it out at all.. if that's the choice I say forget EV. ICE forever, DRILL BABY DRILL. Until sanity returns on the left and they kick these lunatics to the curb and let the adults take over.
Again, I still knew what you meant the first time. LOL

FYI the main reason EV charging stations haven't been built out is because they don't make economic sense due to demand charges levied by utilities. Essentially for ratepayers that are non-residential, you have to pay a fee for the peak power demand (over a certain time period) you'd be pulling. It's chicken vs egg situation, since there aren't enough EVs out there and the fact that some folks charge at home, makes the charging station usage rates low.

As for the DEI stuff, I'd love if you could share a resource to read more up about it. The government has levied similar requirements for decades. When I worked at a government contractor, we had to make sure small businesses were given a certain percentage of business. It most definitely does cause some issues but I'm all for money trickling down to the people rather than it be hoarded by the company I worked (>100B market cap) at or any other organization.

So, figuratively, if you want to get something done why do you wrap it in the bullshit people are referring to?

Look at what they did to clear the channel under the collapsed bridge in Baltimore harbor. Do you think they were tacking on all kinds of provisions about doing the work? No, they were focusing on the job at hand.
You're comparing an emergency situation ( that has only reopened the channel; not the bridge reconstruction that will take years to complete) to the rollout of thousands of locations nationwide that require getting land , secure funding for each location, getting site approval and permits, get infrastructure in place, build ? going to take years. Joe and Trump will be dead by the end of the rollout.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
Lets talk about actual progress on Alternative Energy. construction has stated. They applied for the permit in March. Amazing how fast that happened.

Not really when you…

76ad6280-3862-4d8e-8977-82df09c5c4aa_text.gif

And this coming from someone very pro-nuclear energy.

You're comparing an emergency situation ( that has only reopened the channel; not the bridge reconstruction that will take years to complete) to the rollout of thousands of locations nationwide that require getting land , secure funding for each location, getting site approval and permits, get infrastructure in place, build ? going to take years. Joe and Trump will be dead by the end of the rollout.
They built 12.. since they are all in different places, you'd think they could have built many many more simultaneously in the same time-frame. Its not like the long time to build 1 doing all those steps you mention prevented them from doing the same thing, everywhere. Even if other places took twice as long, by now there should be a lot more completed.

Not really when you…

76ad6280-3862-4d8e-8977-82df09c5c4aa_text.gif

And this coming from someone very pro-nuclear energy.
Funny meme given how now we are hearing how Woodward was CIA guy working at the Nixon Whitehouse before all this Watergate stuff went down. Looks like the CIA targeted Nixon long before they targeted Trump. Follow the money, my ass. There was a script to follow in real life and that for book/film.

They built 12.. since they are all in different places, you'd think they could have built many many more simultaneously in the same time-frame. Its not like the long time to build 1 doing all those steps you mention prevented them from doing the same thing, everywhere. Even if other places took twice as long, by now there should be a lot more completed.

And let's not forget this started 3 years ago. Yes, the bridge was an emergency situation (and I did reference clearing the channel not building the bridge fg7321), but it shows that when you are serious about accomplishing something, you can do so by focusing on the goal.

Are you suggesting that Nixon was a good guy, railroaded by the CIA?

Not on the thread you quoted. All I see is talk about inefficiency. Is that evil?
I think he probably quoted the wrong post by mistake.

I had a funny moment with the post from Good I think he meant to quote, a half-dozen sarcastic and/mocking responses competing for my attention along with the thought that we were being trolled by Good versus Good’s long history of susceptibility to ridiculous self-serving conspiracy theories.

I let all these thoughts bounce around in my head a couple seconds and decided, F it, I’m going to sleep. Now I have this fear I may be growing up. A truly horrifying thought. 😂

I think he probably quoted the wrong post by mistake.

I had a funny moment with the post from Good I think he meant to quote, a half-dozen sarcastic and/mocking responses competing for my attention along with the thought that we were being trolled by Good versus Good’s long history of susceptibility to ridiculous self-serving conspiracy theories.

I let all these thoughts bounce around in my head a couple seconds and decided, F it, I’m going to sleep. Now I have this fear I may be growing up. A truly horrifying thought. 😂

Yeah, my bad. Intended the quote the Woodward, CIA post. Doesn’t really align with the CIA not operating domestically, unless he’s referring to knowledge of how candidate Nixon undermined the peace process through Chinese back channels to extend the Vietnam war because it was politically damaging.

Reactions: mildone
As I’ve said throughout this thread and others…use them all, get the other’s up to speed so maybe a GRADUAL shift can happen.

But the just shutting down the faucet when you don’t know yet how you’re going to get your “water” next is just dumb.

So funny reading that several posters claim they are moderate and non partisan
Because not believing in CIA conspiracies against Nixon and Trump is being partisan? Because, if that's what you're referring to, then 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Or did you mean some other posts? Because, so far as I'm aware, I'm more or less the only person here who regularly remonstrates against partisanship (and I definitely claim to be non-partisan seeing as how I think both sides totally suck equally). Nothing I ever post is supportive or critical of Dems, Reps, Libs or Cons as groups.

Partisans see the failure to toe a party line as evidence of partisanship. Which is truly ridiculous and something I never fail to find hilariously ironic.

As I’ve said throughout this thread and others…use them all, get the other’s up to speed so maybe a GRADUAL shift can happen.

But the just shutting down the faucet when you don’t know yet how you’re going to get your “water” next is just dumb.
Totally agree with that. It's just being pragmatic and appropriately cautious. And it's a non-ideological viewpoint.

Because not believing in CIA conspiracies against Nixon and Trump is being partisan? Because, if that's what you're referring to, then 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Being old enough to have been aware of both as they happened, I really think you have to separate the two. The CIA working against Nixon, shall we say, lacks a certain credulity, though with his paranoia Nixon probably believed it. 50 former intelligence officials releasing a letter saying Hunter's laptop was Russian disinformation when at least some of them, if not all, knew that was bullshit is troubling. And I say this has someone who voted in 2016 and 2020 for every office but President. So don't reply, not referring to you Mild, with any MAGA bullshit accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT