ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit! There's sheep on the solar power Europe page.

Now I'm all distracted and can't get anything done.

Has big oil figured out a way to hate on solar like they do with wind?

They don't have to. Between the breaching the Snake River hydros and shutting down nukes before the end of their useful lives as is currently being advocated by some big oil/nat. gas will be the only alternative when the sun doesn't shine. Then again, the petroleum haters could always advocate the German model and use more coal like they're doing.

Texas population increased by 476k last year - 9 million since 2000.
Now DC subversives importing even more bodies.
A lot of industry moved there - Texas cant fill energy needs with gimmicks
Functional grid calls for continuous-duty dispatchable energy ready when demand calls for it.
You cant just ramp-up after the fact
The CCP's break-America-while-selling-them-the-junk-we-steered them-into plan cuts energy production (no juice at night and wind is not reliable).
The whole situation is bizarre on an epic scale

Reactions: RUTGERS95
They don't have to. Between the breaching the Snake River hydros and shutting down nukes before the end of their useful lives as is currently being advocated by some big oil/nat. gas will be the only alternative when the sun doesn't shine. Then again, the petroleum haters could always advocate the German model and use more coal like they're doing.
Even more scary is the ease of crippling a solar energy genetating system. Solar arrays are fragile!! It's incredibly easy for anyone to wipe out a solar array farm in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
If the Dems are so positive about solar why does New Jersey limit the amount of panels allowed on your roof. You are prevented from producing more than the prior 12 month usage. Why?

I'm fine with that and it looks long term economical. All of the above. But not carbon neutral until 2040!!! (theme from Psycho). We're all going to die.

Edited to add: Actually, according to Greta Thunberg, we're all supposed to be dead as of yesterday.
That meme is a false meme, and I am guilty of having posted it on these boards. The lefty apologists news media fact checkers said she never said that and contorted themselves 40 different ways to make their point. I got it in the end, but she and others over the years have come across as looking silly and overly dramatic. Mind you, we have a pure EV, a plug in hybrid and two homes where our electric needs are 100% supplied by solar. We are as green as can be. But not going to run around clamoring that the sky is falling if my neighbors don't do the same.

Last edited:
That meme is a false meme, and I am guilty of having posted it on these boards. The lefty apologists news media fact checkers said she never said that and contorted themselves 40 different ways to make their point. I got it in the end, but she and others over the years have come across as looking silly and overly dramatic. Mind you, we have a pure EV, a plug in hybrid and two homes where our electric needs are 100% supplied by solar. We are as green as can be. But not going to run around clamoring that the sky is falling if my neighbors don't do the same.

Read today she posted and then deleted it later.

Was quoting someone else but it was in the tweet

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-greta-thunberg-deleted-tweet-675395214080

Last edited:
Read today she posted and then deleted it later.

Was quoting someone else but it was in the tweet

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-greta-thunberg-deleted-tweet-675395214080
Yeah, that was it. They really went out of their way to cover for her. It's a funny meme, but unfortunately directed at a young person, and hope that the harsh criticism and mocking did not harm her. Younger people take strong positions sometimes that soften and change over time. My views on a variety of issues is quite different from my views as a teenager. I'm glad none of the stupid positions I took back then were memorialized to haunt me later in life.

Silly and overdramatic describes an awful lot of people these days. She would hardly be alone.

Silly and overdramatic describes an awful lot of people these days. She would hardly be alone.
I fall into that bucket and trying to do better ... It's funny ... It seems that every topic feels like a game now and you have to choose a team!

Most issues at hand are so complicated and the factors causing the issue / the potential solutions all fall on a spectrum ... No "team" truly represents the issue or solution at hand because you just can't really boil down these topics to discrete categories.

I'm trying hard to position my thoughts to not be on a "team" ... Just distracts from the real needed back and forth conversation that lead to discovery and sometimes the realization that perhaps my original thoughts needed some mending.

Hard to do so when as humans we are 1) inclined to congregate into communities and 2) motivated more by fear, power, $$

I fall into that bucket and trying to do better ... It's funny ... It seems that every topic feels like a game now and you have to choose a team!

Most issues at hand are so complicated and the factors causing the issue / the potential solutions all fall on a spectrum ... No "team" truly represents the issue or solution at hand because you just can't really boil down these topics to discrete categories.

I'm trying hard to position my thoughts to not be on a "team" ... Just distracts from the real needed back and forth conversation that lead to discovery and sometimes the realization that perhaps my original thoughts needed some mending.

Hard to do so when as humans we are 1) inclined to congregate into communities and 2) motivated more by fear, power, $$
Partisan hacks typically boil everything down to us and them and oversimplify. I notice also that lots of people seem to feel that if they can portray something as life or death they get to automatically win the argument and ignore anything the other side says and try to nullify them. Not many people try to persuade others anymore. That takes too much work. Just shriek about the end of the world, the destruction of the country, racism, communism, and you win.

Reactions: DanceAppreciationTA
Nuclear power is the only answer to our power generation needs long-term. It’s efficiency and in-service time is second to none. From sciencing.com:

”A pellet of nuclear fuel weighs approximately 0.1 ounce (6 grams). However, that single pellet yields the amount of energy equivalent to that generated by a ton of coal, 120 gallons of oil or 17,000 cubic feet of natural gas, making nuclear fuel much more efficient than fossil fuels.

In addition, nuclear power plants operate more reliably than other power generation facilities. In 2017, nuclear plants worked at full capacity 92% of the time. For comparison, consider the operating times for other energy-generating sources: coal plants (54%), natural gas plants (55%), wind generators (37%) and solar plants (27%).”
Long ago, back in the 90's, I had an expert engineer type in a case, and he was adamant that geothermal was the answer. That's the one area you don't hear a lot about.

Long ago, back in the 90's, I had an expert engineer type in a case, and he was adamant that geothermal was the answer. That's the one area you don't hear a lot about.
Which is surprising considering what a hot topic it is.

Utility-scale geothermal steam energy (converted to electricity) has been produced in California for a long time - over 50 years in Sonoma and Lake Counties. I think one reason why geothermal isn't talked about is most of the country doesn't have underground lava beds - so the potential is really limited to the Western US. One sidenote - Anyone traveling to the Napa/Sonoma region for a wine-tasting vacation might consider getting a mudbath in Calistoga. The mud is naturally heated from natural hot springs (lava).

This isn't to be confused with geothermal heat pumps. These work at home by converting the difference between underground and ground-level temperature differences into heating and cooling. I think these haven't captured a lot of attention because they are expensive and there's a lot of digging/drilling involved. However, I've read these home systems are efficient and generally pay for themselves in under 10 years.

Con Ed installs NYC's largest Battery

Slay News? BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Slay News? BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Yeah. He probably should have linked the Reuters article

😂 what??

It takes 240 windmills to equal the power output of just one typical power plant (when the wind is blowing). Now, just try and imagine how much steel that would take. The problem is that people never think of how steel is made. Before you make up your mind about windmills, please, please, please watch the following video:

Now try and calculate how much energy and coal is used to melt iron and steel (it has to be 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit) over and over again not to mention the energy it takes to haul all that taconite. The production of steel already accounts for 8% of all carbon emissions. now try and imagine what that will increase to when we try and power the earth with windmills.

You may say there's a cleaner way to make steel, but right now there isn't. Please watch this video that explains why it's not likely to happen.

Before you make up your mind about windmills, please watch both videos from beginning to end. Then take into account how much damage is going to happen to the ocean floor. It will take a hole 100 feet in diameter for each windmill. That amount of digging will wipe out tremendous amounts of sources of food for marine life. Once they start digging, it will be the end of fishing in this state.

Is there a clean alternative? Yes, nuclear.

It takes 240 windmills to equal the power output of just one typical power plant (when the wind is blowing). Now, just try and imagine how much steel that would take. The problem is that people never think of how steel is made. Before you make up your mind about windmills, please, please, please watch the following video:

Now try and calculate how much energy and coal is used to melt iron and steel (it has to be 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit) over and over again not to mention the energy it takes to haul all that taconite. The production of steel already accounts for 8% of all carbon emissions. now try and imagine what that will increase to when we try and power the earth with windmills.

You may say there's a cleaner way to make steel, but right now there isn't. Please watch this video that explains why it's not likely to happen.

Before you make up your mind about windmills, please watch both videos from beginning to end. Then take into account how much damage is going to happen to the ocean floor. It will take a hole 100 feet in diameter for each windmill. That amount of digging will wipe out tremendous amounts of sources of food for marine life. Once they start digging, it will be the end of fishing in this state.

Is there a clean alternative? Yes, nuclear.
they can now make wood stronger, lighter, and less energy intensive than steel. Some really remarkable stuff coming soon. Then there is aluminum oxynitride or something like that

new tech can alleviate some of the steel issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT