ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just drove through Oklahoma and Northern Texas yesterday. It is amazing how many turbines there are there, as far as the eye can see.
Gives my 4 foot 8, 80 lb niece some more work locations. She goes all over the country to climb up those towers to work on the turbines. Maybe someday she'll be working off the coast of NJ.

BTW, 98 towers to power 500,000 homes. That's only 5,100 homes per tower. There's probably that many homes within 3 miles of my house.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
Gives my 4 foot 8, 80 lb niece some more work locations. She goes all over the country to climb up those towers to work on the turbines. Maybe someday she'll be working off the coast of NJ.

BTW, 98 towers to power 500,000 homes. That's only 5,100 homes per tower. There's probably that many homes within 3 miles of my house.
God I hope not

Just drove through Oklahoma and Northern Texas yesterday. It is amazing how many turbines there are there, as far as the eye can see.
By our place in Northeast Pa. there are a bunch of turbines lining a few of the ridgelines. They look kind of cool. Not sure about what kind of production they are getting.

Reactions: fsg2
By our place in Northeast Pa. there are a bunch of turbines lining a few of the ridgelines. They look kind of cool. Not sure about what kind of production they are getting.
I always thought they looked cool. Kind of mesmerizing to watch.

Less of an eyesore than the ubiquitous telephone poles and high-wire towers we've all embraced as part of daily life, imo.

I always thought they looked cool. Kind of mesmerizing to watch.

Less of an eyesore than the ubiquitous telephone poles and high-wire towers we've all embraced as part of daily life, imo.
And ugly big box stores and generally ugly cities and suburbs we live in.

There will be multiple improvements in efficiency just like solar panels today are more efficient than earlier versions.

There will be multiple improvements in efficiency just like solar panels today are more efficient than earlier versions.
That’s my hope with all of the technology. Not just wind or solar.

I’ve said multiple times in this thread to use them all (wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, nuclear and even fossil). But don’t turn off the spigot on one without the other(s) to quench our energy thirst.

Reactions: goru1869

I’ve said multiple times in this thread to use them all (wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, nuclear and even fossil). But don’t turn off the spigot on one without the other(s) to quench our energy thirst.
If only common sense was the norm .

Reactions: goru1869

Fracking over the last two years has increased yields from W. Texas fields that is helping to thwart Saudia Arabia & Russian plan to raise the price of Oil. Cant find the article...

Utility-scale geothermal steam energy (converted to electricity) has been produced in California for a long time - over 50 years in Sonoma and Lake Counties. I think one reason why geothermal isn't talked about is most of the country doesn't have underground lava beds - so the potential is really limited to the Western US. One sidenote - Anyone traveling to the Napa/Sonoma region for a wine-tasting vacation might consider getting a mudbath in Calistoga. The mud is naturally heated from natural hot springs (lava).

This isn't to be confused with geothermal heat pumps. These work at home by converting the difference between underground and ground-level temperature differences into heating and cooling. I think these haven't captured a lot of attention because they are expensive and there's a lot of digging/drilling involved. However, I've read these home systems are efficient and generally pay for themselves in under 10 years.
Here's a great article about more standard geothermal heat pumps. As you said, they cost more, but there are often rebates, and their operating costs are significantly lower than oil/gas, so the payback isn't that long. For decades the biggest knock on these systems was that they weren't efficient enough to provide reliable heating when temps went below 32F and especially below 0F (it gets very hard to extract useful heat from the outside air at those temps), but most modern units appear to operate quite effectively, now, down to at least -10F, meaning these should work for the vast majority of people in the US (and there are hybrid systems for very cold locales).

When we bought our latest furnace, about 10 years ago, we almost went with a heat pump and now with the improved efficiencies, our next furnace and AC upgrade will almost certainly be a heat pump (which will also cool a house like one's AC unit, so the term "heat pump" is probably a bit misleading, as they heat and cool buildings and use existing duct work for supply and return).

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/guides/heat-pump-buying-guide/

Why should anybody trust either that twitter user or Ember? What's the source of the data behind the chart? How was the data gathered and what sorts of adjustments or filters were used?

Surely you already know this or you wouldn't repost the tweeted chart, right? So please share so we can form an opinion on how much to trust the tweet.

Do I even need to say it about Texas anymore ....

I will; it's trash.
So perhaps it's not all about saving the environment and FREEDOM!

“Texas #SB624 would turn all of Texas into an HOA where your neighbors are now going to be able to tell you what you can and can’t do on your own property,” tweeted Rhodes.

Reactions: fsg2
So perhaps it's not all about saving the environment and FREEDOM!

“Texas #SB624 would turn all of Texas into an HOA where your neighbors are now going to be able to tell you what you can and can’t do on your own property,” tweeted Rhodes.
Exactly what I thought. Kinda weird for a leader in the "muh freedumbz" movement. But certainly not the first or last.

Why should anybody trust either that twitter user or Ember? What's the source of the data behind the chart? How was the data gathered and what sorts of adjustments or filters were used?

Surely you already know this or you wouldn't repost the tweeted chart, right? So please share so we can form an opinion on how much to trust the tweet.

Another lazy post. If you don't trust the tweet, there's a little written thing in the bottom. It's called "source". You could look it up sometime and run your opinion on this board. But we all know your schtick is fire, ready, aim - without the ready or aim. No one gives a rat's ass about your completely uniformed opinion.

For anyone with actual curiosity, the US Energy Information Administration publishes regular reports on energy generation and consumption - both summaries and highly detailed data.

Reactions: newell138

Imagine how much that’s going to cost. Split up the cost of each windmill and it’s maintenance between 5,000 homes lol

Reactions: motorb54
Another lazy post. If you don't trust the tweet, there's a little written thing in the bottom. It's called "source". You could look it up sometime and run your opinion on this board. But we all know your schtick is fire, ready, aim - without the ready or aim. No one gives a rat's ass about your completely uniformed opinion.

For anyone with actual curiosity, the US Energy Information Administration publishes regular reports on energy generation and consumption - both summaries and highly detailed data.
What's lazy is reposing stuff that you didn't personally verify first just because it conforms to your viewpoint or aligns with what you want to be true.

All you had to do was say you looked into the sources and they seemed legit to you. But you didn't. Instead you're trying to bluster your way past the question so you don't have to admit you had (and probably still have) no clue about the validity of that chart.

It's okay. That's the typical approach these days. You're just like most people. Good job. 👍

What's lazy is reposing stuff that you didn't personally verify first just because it conforms to your viewpoint or aligns with what you want to be true.

All you had to do was say you looked into the sources and they seemed legit to you. But you didn't. Instead you're trying to bluster your way past the question so you don't have to admit you had (and probably still have) no clue about the validity of that chart.

It's okay. That's the typical approach these days. You're just like most people. Good job. 👍

Guess what, buddy? The data is right. You can look it up. I already knew the information was valid because I follow energy trends. Instead of discussing the data, you make an uninformed post that casts doubt on the data - which is actual, real, verifiable data. But keep posting, we're all so interested in your uninformed opinions. Can't wait.

Guess what, buddy? The data is right. You can look it up. I already knew the information was valid because I follow energy trends. Instead of discussing the data, you make an uninformed post that casts doubt on the data - which is actual, real, verifiable data. But keep posting, we're all so interested in your uninformed opinions. Can't wait.
LOL. I asked a simple question.

I never said or even implied the data was wrong. I didn’t state anything about it. I asked if you verified it before posting and asked you to share the source. The rest is you being weirdly defensive and attacking stuff I never said.

You realize that I’m not at all opposed to clean energy efforts, right? I’m 100% for it.

You need to work on knowing your audience. 😉

Nice Tucker Carlson defense. <sqeaky voice> I was just asking questions ... <end squeaky voice>
Ah, the old: "Okay, fine, you didn't write what I said you wrote, but I know you meant it anyway" argument, cherished by mind-readers all across the internet.

So your theory is I hate clean energy but am much too shy to just say so? That I'm lying about how I feel about it because what, I'm worried what you'll think of me? Or because I'm shy about expressing my opinion on stuff? Yeah, that sounds like me alright. 🤣

You realize you have written that the chart you reposted comported with your preconceived understanding, your viewpoint, based on other sources. So you have already admitted doing exactly what I asked about, you saw a tweeted chart and reposted it without verifying it because you agreed with what it said. The rest is you launching laughably weak personal attacks in some fit of defensiveness over a perceived attack I never made.

Religion: Look at this chart.
Mildone: Did you verify the source of data for the chart?
Religion: You're lazy.
Mildone: Uh, okay. So you *did* verify it? Or no?
Religion: I already knew the numbers.
MIldone: So you didn't? BTW, I've always supported clean energy.
Religion: You're not just lazy, but a liar too, and I can read minds. You're just like Tucker Carlson.
Mildone: Wait wut? Who? HAHAHAHA.

Cali is not sweating a hot summer due to their growing reliance on Solar and Battery Storage systems....

Everywhere we see large stationary storage projects incorporated into the grid it has been an overwhelming success.

What they don't tell you is how much of that 28% renewable is from hydro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT