ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alternative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
?? Hydro power isn’t exactly a secret and US hasn’t built new large-scale dams since the Carter Administration.
mdk prides himself on stopping by every climate/energy thread only to babble oblique talking points to himself.

Just be happy he hasn't brought up German nuclear power for the 12th time that no one was talking about Germany.

What they don't tell you is how much of that 28% renewable is from hydro.

It’s all there - we can all look at the power mix, it’s posted by the EIA. Hydro about 6% of total power. But in a world of increasingly volatile weather and climate, both hydro and nuclear are exposed to water based risks. Obviously, hydro and nuclear take a long time bring to market as well.

What I’ll never understand is the desire to pay more for power and damage the planet simply to own the libs.

I have solar. It’s awesome. Accounting for RECs and the low financing, my cost of power is fixed at 150-2/month for the next 24 years, then drops to free. That doesn’t account for all the excess I sell back to everyone else.

mdk prides himself on stopping by every climate/energy thread only to babble oblique talking points to himself.

Just be happy he hasn't brought up German nuclear power for the 12th time that no one was talking about Germany.

lol, at least he’s not an asshole. And he’s not bringing up the covid and actually participating in the conversation.

It’s all there - we can all look at the power mix, it’s posted by the EIA. Hydro about 6% of total power. But in a world of increasingly volatile weather and climate, both hydro and nuclear are exposed to water based risks. Obviously, hydro and nuclear take a long time bring to market as well.

What I’ll never understand is the desire to pay more for power and damage the planet simply to own the libs.

I have solar. It’s awesome. Accounting for RECs and the low financing, my cost of power is fixed at 150-2/month for the next 24 years, then drops to free. That doesn’t account for all the excess I sell back to everyone else.
Hydro power in California, with ongoing long-term drought, likely hasn't increased much and wouldn't seem to be a great long-term bet.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
Hydro power in California, with ongoing long-term drought, likely hasn't increased much and wouldn't seem to be a great long-term bet.

We’re always going to need more power. Really bullish on SMRs. Also bullish enough on hydrogen to make it the focus of my masters.

We’re always going to need more power. Really bullish on SMRs. Also bullish enough on hydrogen to make it the focus of my masters.
It's all interesting but as always some technologies won't pan out or catch on. For the near future we already know what will work, like wind and solar, and what won't work for a long time, if ever, like hydrogen, various nuclear, geothermal.

It's all interesting but as always some technologies won't pan out or catch on. For the near future we already know what will work, like wind and solar, and what won't work for a long time, if ever, like hydrogen, various nuclear, geothermal.

Agreed. Hydrogen solves a lot of the problems that wind doesn’t - and really part of that second tranche of decarbonization. Nearly latched onto a senior position at a firm in regenerative ag.

It’s almost humorous at this point. A loud, yet decreasing minority wants to relitigate decisions made 3 years ago when facing an pandemic…everyone is else has come to the realization that we have set up our food and energy systems completely wrong, built to last 70-80 years, not perpetuity - and fixing those things is critical to passing the torch to our kids and incredibly exciting.

I disagree. While in this specific case, his point wasn't salient, he's a skeptic that often pushes back against bandwagons. And that's a good thing to do since bandwagons tend to have a lot of mob mentality behind them. And he's not one to mindlessly propagandize.

His questions and statements about nuclear over the years have been on point, IMO. Pushing nuclear power aside too too quickly might create more problems than it solves, in the short term. He's never said nuclear is without problems or is the ideal power solution for the future.

Agreed. Hydrogen solves a lot of the problems that wind doesn’t - and really part of that second tranche of decarbonization. Nearly latched onto a senior position at a firm in regenerative ag.

It’s almost humorous at this point. A loud, yet decreasing minority wants to relitigate decisions made 3 years ago when facing an pandemic…everyone is else has come to the realization that we have set up our food and energy systems completely wrong, built to last 70-80 years, not perpetuity - and fixing those things is critical to passing the torch to our kids and incredibly exciting.
It's certainly an opportunity and the kind of thing some Americans have always enjoyed: making ideas reality. There are, of course, always Negative Nancys saying it can't be done but they have to be pushed past.

It's certainly an opportunity and the kind of thing some Americans have always enjoyed: making ideas reality. There are, of course, always Negative Nancys saying it can't be done but they have to be pushed past.

I think collectively, society is increasingly ignoring them, and as evidenced in this thread, just annoyed with and over it.

A low skilled dolt like Proud could probably find himself with a 6 figure salary doing Solar sales and/or installs…but he’d rather spend his time being a drunk asshole on a message board while draining society of the resources that could better be allocated elsewhere.

Agree.
Sourcing hydrogen is expensive and inefficient. Once we have an abundance of clean, renewable energy coupled with stationary storage, those hydrogen inefficiencies are less impactful, and we'll see significant growth of hydrogen.

Bad day for offshore wind 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I disagree. While in this specific case, his point wasn't salient, he's a skeptic that often pushes back against bandwagons. And that's a good thing to do since bandwagons tend to have a lot of mob mentality behind them. And he's not one to mindlessly propagandize.

His questions and statements about nuclear over the years have been on point, IMO. Pushing nuclear power aside too too quickly might create more problems than it solves, in the short term. He's never said nuclear is without problems or is the ideal power solution for the future.
There are quite a few posters that keep on shouting nuclear power as the total solution but it takes at least 5 years to built a nuclear plant. There has been a lot of stir about dumping nuclear waste into the ocean like Japan. I believe there’s a plant in NY or NJ that wanted to dump nuclear water into one of the rivers but people are protesting. Got to continue to add all sources of energies.

There are quite a few posters that keep on shouting nuclear power as the total solution but it takes at least 5 years to built a nuclear plant. There has been a lot of stir about dumping nuclear waste into the ocean like Japan. I believe there’s a plant in NY or NJ that wanted to dump nuclear water into one of the rivers but people are protesting. Got to continue to add all sources of energies.

I'm not aware of anybody who advocates for nuclear as a total solution. Do you mean, as part of the total solution? In which case, I'm not shouting about any of this, but I think nuclear can and will be part of the total interim solution.

Nobody thinks it's ideal. But the world has immense energy needs and those needs are growing rapidly.

I'm not aware of anybody who advocates for nuclear as a total solution. Do you mean, as part of the total solution? In which case, I'm not shouting about any of this, but I think nuclear can and will be part of the total interim solution.

Nobody thinks it's ideal. But the world has immense energy needs and those needs are growing rapidly.

And not shutting down currently operating plants before the end of their useful life with an exclamation point!

The first article is a source I blocked years ago on Twitter.

The second article states:

The Gulf of Mexico leases were always going to struggle generating as much developer interest as seen in previous auctions for leases off the U.S. Northeast coast, as the Gulf waters are shallower, more congested, have lower overall wind speeds and face regular hurricane risks.

tky coI'm not aware of anybody who advocates for nuclear as a total solution. Do you mean, as part of the total solution? In which case, I'm not shouting about any of this, but I think nuclear can and will be part of the total interim solution.

They don’t want wind or solar power because they have excuses like it cost more money. What do we do while we wait 5 years before another nuclear power plant is build? The nuclear power plant is actually the most costly energy, maybe existing plants aren’t as costly because it’s sunk cost. Nuclear should be added to solar and wind.

Nukes are too expensive. SMRs are un-proven, with all the issues of big plants. I'm not saying this because I don't want nukes. The problem is nukes are prohibitively too expensive in the USA.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Couldn't read this due to paywall but agree Germany has gone completely bonkers. Now they are burning more coal then ever to make up their self inflicted energy deficit.
Check out how Germany became the leader in alternative energy, whatever that is. I always thought alternative energy was matter.

Check out how Germany became the leader in alternative energy, whatever that is. I always thought alternative energy was matter.

And they could have reduced power from conventional sources even more if they hadn't shut down their nukes and burned more coal. Hey @fsg2 , number 13!!!

Reactions: angmo and fsg2
Nukes are too expensive. SMRs are un-proven, with all the issues of big plants. I'm not saying this because I don't want nukes. The problem is nukes are prohibitively too expensive in the USA.

Some Utah cities are willing to dig deeper to become nuclear-powered.

Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems recently updated the 27 entities pursuing construction of several small nuclear power generators in Idaho, and the $58-per megawatt hour cost has now grown to $89, mainly due to inflation and the rising cost of steel.

That price jump meant that the cities had an off-ramp to walk away from the Carbon-Free Power Project before any money has been spent on building what is now estimated to be a $9.3 billion endeavor. The project would not produce power until 2029 at the earliest.

Still, only the small city of Morgan opted out. The city of Parowan also voted to reduce its commitment by a third, but stayed in. And Los Alamos County, N.M., increased its commitment.

The U.S. government has given CFPP its blessing in the form of cash and sign-offs. Clean-energy incentives in the Inflation Reduction Act passed last year, combined with previous commitments, mean the federal government would cover 45% of the $9.3 billion cost.

And the U.S. Department of Energy announced in January that the NuScale designhas been certified as the first “small modular reactor” design in the country.

Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems recently updated the 27 entities pursuing construction of several small nuclear power generators in Idaho, and the $58-per megawatt hour cost has now grown to $89, mainly due to inflation and the rising cost of steel.

That price jump meant that the cities had an off-ramp to walk away from the Carbon-Free Power Project before any money has been spent on building what is now estimated to be a $9.3 billion endeavor. The project would not produce power until 2029 at the earliest.

Still, only the small city of Morgan opted out. The city of Parowan also voted to reduce its commitment by a third, but stayed in. And Los Alamos County, N.M., increased its commitment.

The U.S. government has given CFPP its blessing in the form of cash and sign-offs. Clean-energy incentives in the Inflation Reduction Act passed last year, combined with previous commitments, mean the federal government would cover 45% of the $9.3 billion cost.

And the U.S. Department of Energy announced in January that the NuScale designhas been certified as the first “small modular reactor” design in the country.

Also in the article was that battery storage systems are ad expensive as the nukes.

Sadly both are likely needed.

Last edited:

The Gulf of Mexico leases were always going to struggle generating as much developer interest as seen in previous auctions for leases off the U.S. Northeast coast, as the Gulf waters are shallower, more congested, have lower overall wind speeds and face regular hurricane risks.

So you ignore one article that is full of factual information and cherry pick one paragraph out of dozens that is slightly on the side of your argument.

It's pretty obvious why you are an uniformed partisan hack. Keep your head in the sand!

Reactions: bac2therac

LOL Utah Cities are OK with Nuke plants in Idaho why not in Utah?

And the alts are always going to struggle with the need to generate & provide power where the people live, day & night, during storms or periods of calm, regardless of how inconvenient that is.

And the alts are always going to struggle with the need to generate & provide power where the people live, day & night, during storms or periods of calm, regardless of how inconvenient that is.

The wind energy fantasy was built on false promises, subsidies and cheap financing. The cheap financing is no longer available so reality is hitting the sector.

It only works in a few isolated environments and will fail in most places.

The wind energy fantasy was built on false promises, subsidies and cheap financing. The cheap financing is no longer available so reality is hitting the sector.

It only works in a few isolated environments and will fail in most places.
Why do you care? It’ll either work out, or it won’t. Currently, we have no perfect forms of energy. They all have downsides.

I don't believe there is a form of energy production that didn't enjoy cheap financing, or government subsidies. Big Oil was raking in billions in profits and still getting subsidies. Energy is important, so governments will incentivize it's production. It's not like the concept is new.

Why would anybody, who doesn't work for a particular segment of the energy production industry, be opposed to trying to make as many forms of energy work as possible, especially if they might help reduce greenhouse gases some?

Most of us are just consumers and, ultimately, will all benefit from as much energy production as possible. We consumers don't actually have to choose sides (aka be tools) in a special interest energy war. We can hope they all win which is how we all win.

Room temperature ambient pressure superconductors, if we can figure 'em out, would go a long way towards solving our energy needs forever. We could cut back on energy production due to the efficiency and storage capacity of superconductors.

If/when we get close to figuring that out, there will be an insane amount of anti-superconductor propaganda that seeks to get all of us doing what you're doing now - speaking out against the new kid on the block. You gonna buy into that propaganda effort too?

You can bet that there will be lots of cheap financing and government subsidies and companies that fail w/superconductors.

Article says "most participating systems are in Utah, but does include systems in New Mexico, Nevada and Idaho."
what that means is those systems are buying power from the idaho reactor not putting a small nuke in New Mexico, Nevada,

Just like I can choose to buy my power from a green energy supplier

Huge water battery being built in Scotland

Not a bad idea. About 40 years ago something similar but on a smaller scale was proposed along the Connecticut River. But the power source to pump the water was the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant so it was opposed, protested and later dropped.

Why do you care? It’ll either work out, or it won’t. Currently, we have no perfect forms of energy. They all have downsides.

I don't believe there is a form of energy production that didn't enjoy cheap financing, or government subsidies. Big Oil was raking in billions in profits and still getting subsidies. Energy is important, so governments will incentivize it's production. It's not like the concept is new.

Why would anybody, who doesn't work for a particular segment of the energy production industry, be opposed to trying to make as many forms of energy work as possible, especially if they might help reduce greenhouse gases some?

Most of us are just consumers and, ultimately, will all benefit from as much energy production as possible. We consumers don't actually have to choose sides (aka be tools) in a special interest energy war. We can hope they all win which is how we all win.

Room temperature ambient pressure superconductors, if we can figure 'em out, would go a long way towards solving our energy needs forever. We could cut back on energy production due to the efficiency and storage capacity of superconductors.

If/when we get close to figuring that out, there will be an insane amount of anti-superconductor propaganda that seeks to get all of us doing what you're doing now - speaking out against the new kid on the block. You gonna buy into that propaganda effort too?

You can bet that there will be lots of cheap financing and government subsidies and companies that fail w/superconductors.
Partisan hacks are now wedded to certain types of energy no matter what. Why anyone would want to exclusively use fossil fuels forever, though, is beyond me. They're dirty, their price can vary significantly, and they come with major international headaches. Who likes seeing countless billions thrown at Saudi Arabia and Russia, and numerous other scummy regimes? Any alternatives should be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT