ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beehive Removal Service Recs

I had a guy remove a bald-faced hornet nest in a bush a couple of years ago (not NJ). He came out and vacuumed up all of the hornets then removed the nest. He didn’t use any pesticides. The hornets were then frozen and donated to medical labs that create anti-venom for sting allergy patients.

Stay out da Bushes.
-Jesse Jackson
allegation-quotes-by-jesse-jackson-1782158.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: angmo
Very disappointed in your decision
Not me. Given that the hive was immediately in front of my front door and preventing me from getting in and out of the house, I needed major firepower that didn't involve me rigging something up and dragging out the timeline. It was time to get to Scarlet Fever and hit the driving range at RUGC today, and immediate action was required for such urgent activities. Problem solved.

Not me. Given that the hive was immediately in front of my front door and preventing me from getting in and out of the house, I needed major firepower that didn't involve me rigging something up and dragging out the timeline. It was time to get to Scarlet Fever and hit the driving range at RUGC today, and immediate action was required for such urgent activities. Problem solved.
I would have stuck to our basketball routine on game days and walked right past the hive with no fear.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Yesterday I discover, hidden in a bush immediately outside my front door, a yellow-jacket beehive that is pretty big, hanging about five feet off the ground but completely invisible from all directions. I had no idea it was there even though I'd been walking past it a bunch of times per day, as well as using the recycling bin directly under the bush. Then yesterday afternoon one of these mafvckas decides to sting me, so now it's game on. Evidently it's busy season for pest control services since only one company, Viking, answered my calls. They quoted me $339 to get rid of it.

Anyone with experience getting rid of these things? A neighbor suggested I go to Home Depot and get a can of bee/wasp spray, but the bush looks like it will block the spray due to the hive's location within the bush. I am also toying with the idea of putting on my thick winter gear (think: Rutgers football game in late November), covering my face and every other body part, smashing it with a rake or some such thing, then diving back in the house.

Neither solution sounds appealing, though I'm leaning towards calling around for more quotes in the hope that someone cutely picks up their phone. Anyone with recs? I'm in the Bedminster/Basking Ridge area. TIA!

In your situation you must treat the house as expendable.

a_working_m2_flamethrower_in_action-cover.jpg

Reactions: zappaa
I got rid of a giant hornets nest at night. It was hanging from a tree branch that i could reach with a patio torch. Did it at night when they were all in the nest. One can of hornet spay from the bottom and then lighter fluid . Then came the torch that lit up the hive in a second. Some still got out and flew directly to the patio light by the back door . I ran around to the front like a bat out of hell.

Second nest was yellow jackets in the ground by my hose bib. Suffice to say that hole is a super fund site full of chemicals and it still took half a gallon of gas to kill the hive.

If you see this be very careful:
ter-insects-bald-faced-hornet-2A.jpg

Bald-Faced Hornets and they are nasty MFers.

dave_webb_31772866657_d0a4e378f2_b.jpg
As a dumb 15-year old, I came across one of those big nests in the next door neighbor's yard and they were wondering how to get rid of it, so I volunteered to whack it down with my baseball bat and they happily agreed and went quickly inside their house, while I took it down with one mighty swing...and ran like bat out of hell to our house when they started swarming. We also had carpenter bees in our house during my early teen years and I used to go up on the roof with two tennis rackets and take them out, sometimes two at a time - they're a lot less aggressive than hornets and I never got stung. For some reason, I've never been afraid of bees/wasps. Mice on the other hand...

There is a white powder you can buy. Spread it around the nest and it gets on them. As they go in and out of the nest, it gets all over all of them and takes out the entire population. Have a service that has taken out a few nests that way.

Damn, if I lived closer to you you could borrow my vintage WW2 flame thrower. It’s awesome!
Some people have power washers, others prefer flamethrowers. If you lived close by we could swap from time to time and keep the neighborhoods safe from danger, like Batman and the Lone Ranger. Now if we could only get a Catwoman to volunteer...

Whatever you do make sure you do it at night, have dealt with a number of in ground yellow jacket hives never been stung. Plus they are all in the hive at night generally there is only one way in and out, find the hole and hit it with a can of hornet spray (use the whole friggin can) that has some range and velocity. Check the results the next day from a safe distance, repeat if you see anything moving, have never done this more than once

As a dumb 15-year old, I came across one of those big nests in the next door neighbor's yard and they were wondering how to get rid of it, so I volunteered to whack it down with my baseball bat and they happily agreed and went quickly inside their house, while I took it down with one mighty swing...and ran like bat out of hell to our house when they started swarming. We also had carpenter bees in our house during my early teen years and I used to go up on the roof with two tennis rackets and take them out, sometimes two at a time - they're a lot less aggressive than hornets and I never got stung. For some reason, I've never been afraid of bees/wasps. Mice on the other hand...
Back in the days when fences were few and local kids cutting threw neighbors yards was welcomed.
We had some epic encounters with underground yellow jacket nests.
I remember being stung multiple times and pulling them off my neck and eyelids while running

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT