ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Burger in NJ???

Sorry to tell you Rod's sold at the start of COVID. Chef's International bought it. Chefs International. I hope they don't ruin it. Not hearing good things about what they have done to the Cabin.

Familiar with Chef's.

Friend in NJSP worked for them part time as one of the line "Chef's" back in the day.

Best burger I've had in NJ is from Stage Left. Have had better burgers than Stage Left in NYC once or twice. But never had better than Stage Left in NJ or anywhere else (but NYC).

It's expensive, but it's almost invariably both huge and immensely flavorful. Out of several dozen visits in recent years, I can only remember a couple times when the burger wasn't absolutely perfect. Although I have to say that, in a disturbing trend, the couple times was among the last handful of times I visited. Hopefully it was a momentary thing and not a long-term trend.

I also like White Rose, but it's more of an experience than a burger. And it's often the gift that keeps giving for days.

Zinburger's Prime-Rib blended burgers are actually pretty good and they do a pretty reliable job of cooking it to order. It's formulaic, and the buns are nothing to write home about. But it's still tasty. Unfortunately COVID has shuttered most of them, at least on the East Coast.

Back in April or May, I ordered a ton of meat from a nearby butcher. The order included, among other things, 10 LBS of ground sirloin and a couple whole filet mignon tenderloins, trimmed and tied. When I arrived to pick up the order, they were still prepping it. And the butcher asked me if I wanted him to grind up the soft fat trimmings left-over from the filets and blend it into the ground sirloin. I did, and he did. That combo made for the best burgers I've ever made (and I've made huge numbers of burgers over the years, trying out all kinds of combos of short-rib meat, brisket, etc. along with various cooking methods and seasonings and prep).

Reactions: RU848789 and batts
Guy that ownes Frankies also ownes Rod's in Sea Girt.

Used to like the NY Strip on the grill at Frankies.

My car got stolen out of the parking lot across the street in PPB. At least I think that was were I was at the time, but back then I used to partake of Jack Daniels from time to time. Suffice it to say the car, wherever I parked it was never recovered....

I did not know they own Rod's, I like that place as well but do not get there as much as Frankie's since most of my time between April and Sept is spent on the Island I rarely get past point with the exception to eat at La Mondina in Brielle.

I only recall the old Ship Wheel in Brielle. When it was necessary to sneak out of the parking lot the back way to avoid the Brielle PD stopping you for DWI as you left the parking lot. Back when I lived on River Rd just down the street from the Red Ranch...

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I only recall the old Ship Wheel in Brielle. When it was necessary to sneak out of the parking lot the back way to avoid the Brielle PD stopping you for DWI as you left the parking lot. Back when I lived on River Rd just down the street from the Red Ranch...

It used to be Rella's on Union Ave, when the family decide to shut down and sell the owner of Savor in Seaside Heights bought it and moved Savor to the new location and renamed it to La Mondina

Thanks for the tip on BV - will have to check it out. Is the black label a burger at the Minetta Tavern or a place.
The Minetta Tavern one. So good. BV Burger is a small place behind Bobby Van's grill... you have to walk through the outdoor seating area, takeout only. Great burgers.

Reactions: 29PAS
The ones my dad cooked as a kid. Grilled on a little charcoal hibachi with cherry smoking chips. My first time ever eating anything with wood smoke, and I've been hooked ever since.

Moved out of the state just before gourmet and fast-casual burger places became big everywhere so no NJ spot really stands out.

Big fan of the Habit Burger Grill since my days of traveling to CA for work. They may not give you as many fries as Five Guys, but for the price difference, you could buy another full order.

Stage Left (expensive but well worth it) is the best I've had.
Tavern 5 in Pequannock is very good.

Ok I will throw another place in the mix. When I grew up in Bergen County "The Fireplace" on RT 17 in Paramus was the spot my parents took me all the time for flame broiled burgers and onion rings....Then we would go to Vandykes for ice cream but that is for the next food thread....

It used to be Rella's on Union Ave, when the family decide to shut down and sell the owner of Savor in Seaside Heights bought it and moved Savor to the new location and renamed it to La Mondina
I believe it was the Horn and Musket before that

Reactions: BigWill
Zucchini Brothers used to play there on weekends.

Just down the street from our bird seed lady.

Don't you think it's dipped a bit since the move? It's still a fine burger, but I maintain it was better in the 'Burg. Someone once explained to me why this was, but I can't recall.

I haven't had some of these in years, so I can't vouch for their current quality, but in addition to Krug's and Rossi's, I like Tierney's, Buzzy's in Piscataway (I think that's where), Riverside Inn (the Dive) in Cranford, and Tiger's Tale in Montgomery. Hendrickson's in Bayonne also had an excellent burger, but I'll bet it's been more than 15 years since I last had it.

BINGO!

With Port Wine Wispride on top and a PBR.

One of the finer things in life.

Reactions: SHUSource
Harpoon Willies on the Manasquan River in Wall gets my vote, with the Ark in Pt Pleasant Beach a close second.

LIved just down River Rd from the Red Ranch (pre Harpoon) and Mad Dog got his first job there at age 8, picking up the parking lot Sat and Sun morning.

Best burger I've had in NJ is from Stage Left. Have had better burgers than Stage Left in NYC once or twice. But never had better than Stage Left in NJ or anywhere else (but NYC).

It's expensive, but it's almost invariably both huge and immensely flavorful. Out of several dozen visits in recent years, I can only remember a couple times when the burger wasn't absolutely perfect. Although I have to say that, in a disturbing trend, the couple times was among the last handful of times I visited. Hopefully it was a momentary thing and not a long-term trend.

I also like White Rose, but it's more of an experience than a burger. And it's often the gift that keeps giving for days.

Zinburger's Prime-Rib blended burgers are actually pretty good and they do a pretty reliable job of cooking it to order. It's formulaic, and the buns are nothing to write home about. But it's still tasty. Unfortunately COVID has shuttered most of them, at least on the East Coast.

Back in April or May, I ordered a ton of meat from a nearby butcher. The order included, among other things, 10 LBS of ground sirloin and a couple whole filet mignon tenderloins, trimmed and tied. When I arrived to pick up the order, they were still prepping it. And the butcher asked me if I wanted him to grind up the soft fat trimmings left-over from the filets and blend it into the ground sirloin. I did, and he did. That combo made for the best burgers I've ever made (and I've made huge numbers of burgers over the years, trying out all kinds of combos of short-rib meat, brisket, etc. along with various cooking methods and seasonings and prep).
We're pretty well aligned on burgers. Stage Left's burger is fantastic - and don't overlook the double-fried fries! White Rose in HP (also like the one in Roselle) will always be a favorite, having started going there back in the early 80s after fun nights out and then living for a year a block away in HP. Also enjoyed Zinburger's, as did the wife. And since COVID, we've been buying from Nick's Meat Depot and their ground sirloin burgers are phenomenal - as are their pork hot dogs (and NY Strip Steaks and everything else, lol).

In addition to those, I'm a huge fan of the burgers at Liberty Tavern in Fords, a bit of an old school divy local bar that some here might know. They don't make much, but their burgers are fantasitc. In the same vein, I love the burgers (and fries) at AP's Wonder Bar. And out of the fast food places, I'm partial to Five Guys (best fast food fries anywhere too) and I love White Castle. If truth be told, there aren't too many burgers I don't like, lol.

Reactions: mildone
Yes they do, but I like Tiger's Tale burgers better...
Overall, TTs burgers are better than the Rocky Hill Inn, but are somewhat inconsistent. However, when they are good, they are top notch. Awesome mushrooms and onion sauce.

Reactions: SHUSource
Sorry but Rocky Hill burgers blow Tigers Tale out of the water. Tale is good because they grill them so you get that flavor but the meat blend Rocky Hill uses is superior.

Reactions: Postman_1
Sorry but Rocky Hill burgers blow Tigers Tale out of the water. Tale is good because they grill them so you get that flavor but the meat blend Rocky Hill uses is superior.
RH Inn is good, but the TT mushroom and onion sauce is the difference maker. RH tries to be a bit more gourmet like my 2 all time favorite burgers (Stage Left and Brick Farm Tavern) but doesn't get to that level.

By the way, new burger joint just opened in Hopewell. Haven't tried it yet, but it was recommended by a few friends:

Agree with you 100%. I had Tigers Tale before it was mediocre at best to me. Everything at Rocky Hill is good IMO, plus they have a good beer selection 🍺

That Ottoburger place sounds interesting. I just looked at the menu, it seems they are only doing take out right now. Sucks I would've went there tonight to eat if they had dine in.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Agree with you 100%. I had Tigers Tale before it was mediocre at best to me. Everything at Rocky Hill is good IMO, plus they have a good beer selection 🍺

That Ottoburger place sounds interesting. I just looked at the menu, it seems they are only doing take out right now. Sucks I would've went there tonight to eat if they had dine in.
Overall RHI is a much better restaurant, just like the TT burgers more.

Had the GOAT burger (with fried goat cheese, red peppers and balsamic) at Vagabond Kitchen and Tap House in AC today. I don’t know if it is the GOAT but it was really good.

Shore Fire Grill (Surf City and Manahawkin) makes a few very good burgers. As an aside the original chef/owner Tim died in a car accident last year. Very sad, he was a nice guy and cared about his customers... often stopping by tables to chat and make you feel welcome.

Reactions: RULegion
I’m sorry, but White Manna sucks. Little greasy sh!thole with little greasy burgers. IMO, Committed Pig (MoTown, Summit, Squan) has the best burgers. Pat LaFrieda blend burgers - amazing.

All depends what kind of burger you’re looking for IMHO. White Manna (2 “n’s”) Hackensack is absolutely fantastic IMHO, and much better than White Mana on Tunnele Ave in Jersey City, but not everyone likes that “type” of burger (small, greasy, etc). I’m slid a HUGE fan of Rossi’s (Hamilton, formerly Trenton “The ‘Berg”) Which is a completely different style of hamburger. Depends on my mood ha ha!

Also: Zak’s/Arthur’s Hoboken

Yes. Mostly agree. But many people love the potato rolls the burgers get served on. I absolutely hated the steamed onions that overpiled on their little rolls. However, many would refute me. That's okay. I understand that.

My favorite is a roadside stand on Route 46 in Garfield, NJ called Steve's Burgers. Any version of his burgers is great. Cheesesteaks are the best in Bergen County and the onion rings are really good too.

Many dont know about Steve’s. It is unreal. I eat relatively healthy so i try to limit my visits there to once a month because Im putting down probably 2,000 cals every trip haha

Many dont know about Steve’s. It is unreal. I eat relatively healthy so i try to limit my visits there to once a month because Im putting down probably 2,000 cals every trip haha

The burgers are very good... onion rings too. But I also like to patronize when places go out of their way to help out folks. When I'm at the shore and want a sub, I go to Fredericos in Belmar. Subs are great but the owner took out a 50k bank loan at the start of the pandemic to continue to pay his employees. These places deserve patronage in addition to having tasty food.

Steve's Burgers To Offer Free Meals To Families In Need During Coronavirus Outbreak

I would be a frequent visitor to Krupa if Joanna was serving the burgers 😉
joanna-krupa_133043.jpg
Her face looks like it's CGI.

I'm a big fan of the One Tasty Burger served at Killarney's in Hamilton. Still haven't hit up Rossi's yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT