ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best pizza at Rutgers?

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Big Game Boomer is known for trolling on his polls, but he put Daniel's as the best pizza at Rutgers. Agree or disagree?

F1Air3DXwAoFBS3

It is, sadly. I'm not even familiar with Daniel's. I've heard good things about Krispy Pizza at the Yard, though it is a small chain.

I think La Familia’s special in the mid - late 2000s was two large pizzas for $14. Not bad. Paulie’s was $1 slices after 10:00, but the pizza wasn’t as good.

Reactions: Richie O
I think La Familia’s special in the mid - late 2000s was two large pizzas for $14. Not bad. Paulie’s was $1 slices after 10:00, but the pizza wasn’t as good.
Early 00's Paulie's was 50-cent slices (and tasted like it). Pizza City $1.

96-02 La Familia and Pizza Shitty were not my favorites. We always walked across the street to Kings after a night at the Rail. If we ended at the Knight Club, we went to RU Grill to see Abdul.

Reactions: jtung230
96-02 La Familia and Pizza Shitty were not my favorites. We always walked across the street to Kings after a night at the Rail. If we ended at the Knight Club, we went to RU Grill to see Abdul.

Kings had a bit of a thicker crust; quality stuff. For some reason I did less drinking (except for patio nights at Stuff) and less pizza-eating on that side of Easton

Early 00's Paulie's was 50-cent slices (and tasted like it). Pizza City $1.
Paulie's made good sandwiches too, but they closed in 2017-18 or so. I believe Efes expanded into that space now.

I lived on La Familia late 90s $8.99 pizza and medium coke deal. Split it with a different friend each night for $5 each. Great pizza at an amazing price

I almost got put on their banned list too. Bought a new cordless phone for my room (yes pre cell phone days). Ordered pizza, meanwhile phone dies. Delivery guy was downstairs calling and calling to no avail

I had to call and apologize explaining the situation once we realized where's our pizza?!

Sorry to hear they're gone

Before it became the Olive Branch, I think that building housed a pizza place called "Patti's". Not sure about the name, but the pizza was pretty good.

There was another pretty good pizza place on Ryder's lane, just across the bridge over Route 1. Can't recall that name although "Italian Kitchen" comes to mind. That's probably too far off even Douglass Campus to count.

No clue where the best pizza is near RU New Brunswick these days.

Daniel's got a very good review from Portnoy. When I lived on Ray Street and Morrell Street circa 1990, Skinny Vinny's was my go-to place and sometimes the bar pies at Patty's.
Was Skinny Vinny’s the place on the corner across the street from the back parking lot of the College Avenue Student Center / Barn. If so, that was my go-to in the mid-80s and couldn’t think of the name of it.

2009-2013, PJs was my favorite. Paulie’s had a cheap ass deal but the pizza was not very good. Olive branch had a ridiculously cheap bar pie and beer special one night. Filippos was good but out of the way.

Most of the other pizzerias were jokes, especially Ta-Ta’s and that clown skinny vinny.

Before it became the Olive Branch, I think that building housed a pizza place called "Patti's". Not sure about the name, but the pizza was pretty good.

There was another pretty good pizza place on Ryder's lane, just across the bridge over Route 1. Can't recall that name although "Italian Kitchen" comes to mind. That's probably too far off even Douglass Campus to count.

No clue where the best pizza is near RU New Brunswick these days.
Is the place you're referring to DuSal's?

Was Skinny Vinny’s the place on the corner across the street from the back parking lot of the College Avenue Student Center / Barn. If so, that was my go-to in the mid-80s and couldn’t think of the name of it.
Yep that's it. Pretty sure that is Sicard St.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Yup, that was it.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
About twenty years ago, there used to be a place on Easton Ave called King's Pizza. Best pizza I ever had. Anyone know what happened to them?

Is the place you're referring to DuSal's?
I don't think, so, no. The place I was thinking of was on the other side of Ryder lane from DuSal's. Looking on Google Maps, it's possible that it was where Domoko Sushi Ramen is now. But it was a while back, and my memory sucks, so maybe not.

Edit: did some digging and yes, it used to be called "Perrone's Italian Kitchen" and was in the building where Domoko is today (68 Ryders Ln, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816). Not sure when it changed hands. Was good enough that, even after we'd moved away from the New Brunswick area, we continued to head back now and then.

Cofaro’s.

Whole pie (large) and a liter of Coke for $4.

Who else is this old ITT? LOL
I don’t remember that deal at Cofaros but when I was a kid my family got take out from Patti’s ,( spaghetti). My father would bring his own pot and Joe Patti would fill it up.
Great place.
Until the RAC was built. They were the place to go after games at the Barn.
Excellent pizza too.
Olive Branch is not to schabby either.

I don't think, so, no. The place I was thinking of was on the other side of Ryder lane from DuSal's. Looking on Google Maps, it's possible that it was where Domoko Sushi Ramen is now. But it was a while back, and my memory sucks, so maybe not.

Edit: did some digging and yes, it used to be called "Perrone's Italian Kitchen" and was in the building where Domoko is today (68 Ryders Ln, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816). Not sure when it changed hands. Was good enough that, even after we'd moved away from the New Brunswick area, we continued to head back now and then.
Yes, I was trying to remember the name of Perrone’s! We used to go there for lunch when I worked in East Brunswick. Great gnocchi in vodka sauce.

Daniel's and Krispy are quite good and I like the bar pies at Olive Branch, but I wouldn't say NB is a pizza mecca by any stretch. Used to love Pizza Plaza back in the early 80s and Skinny Vinnies/Patti's when I lived on Ray St. for a few summers. But I'd almost always choose a Stuff Yer Face boli over a NB pizza...

Reactions: Rutgers56
Is kings still around? My fraternity in the early 2000s would always go there…so much so that we were given a Kings pizza banner. We’d put outside our house and inside the basement during parties. We’d get free pizza at kings if we were wearing our letters.

Good times

Ironically, our brokerage made a video of this 2 months ago. We visited 6 different places in New Brunswick.

Daniel's isn't open until 4pm...weak.

Pizza City was my favorite until we did the pizza tour.

Fillipos was absolutely horrible.

Panicos is extremely underrated.

Krispy's at the yard was really damn good

Last edited:
Daniel's isn't open until 4pm...weak.

Pizza City was my favorite until we did the pizza tour.

Fillipos was absolutely horrible.

Filipos is extremely underrated.

Krispy's at the yard was really damn good
What are you talking about? You just posted that Fillipo’s is underrated and overrated. Happy hour much? For the record, Fillipo’s is still good. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT