ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best pizza at Rutgers?

What are you talking about? You just posted that Fillipo’s is underrated and overrated. Happy hour much? For the record, Fillipo’s is still good. 😂
Damn...I meant Panicos. Really good. Filipos was absolutely horrid. Like throw it in the garbage don't finish the slice bad.

Is kings still around? My fraternity in the early 2000s would always go there…so much so that we were given a Kings pizza banner. We’d put outside our house and inside the basement during parties. We’d get free pizza at kings if we were wearing our letters.

Good times
Not sure if it's the same one, but there is a Kings Pizza on Rt 27 near Veronica Ave. I've been there a few times and the pizza is excellent, they always have about a dozen or so different pies displayed for slices. I had a slice of shrimp scampi pizza last time, yum!

When I was a kid back in the ‘60s my dad use to take us to Pizza Mill over by Cook, that was great pizza. I loved the sausage bar pies at Patti’s when I was in school in the ‘70s. I haven’t been to Krispy’s but my daughter raves about it and we have similar tastes in pizza so I’ll have to give it a try.

Damn...I meant Panicos. Really good. Filipos was absolutely horrid. Like throw it in the garbage don't finish the slice bad.
Not sure what you had at Fillipo’s then, but everyone’s taste is different. Vinnie Brand took over the Panico’s space and renovated it. Still Italian though.

I recall La Familia and PJs were my favorites, though I think La Familia is gone.
^Nailed it.

Although I would throw OB slices in there too.
I can’t remember if they were super delicious or I just thought they were because it was a dollar for a slice and a dollar for a mug of coors light and I always had a bunch of both inside me on a Friday afternoon.

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill
Always thought Campus Pizza made the best pie back in the day. Killer meatball parm too.

Although clientele a bit sketchy, I remember some homeless dude eating in there letting out some of the loudest farts I’ve ever heard.

Although not in NB, one of my favorites is right down 18 in EB - Franks in mid-state mall. Although it's not coal fired or any of that jazz, the two guys are from Napoli and make a hell of a pie. Lots of different and interesting slice options.

Before it became the Olive Branch, I think that building housed a pizza place called "Patti's". Not sure about the name, but the pizza was pretty good.

There was another pretty good pizza place on Ryder's lane, just across the bridge over Route 1. Can't recall that name although "Italian Kitchen" comes to mind. That's probably too far off even Douglass Campus to count.

No clue where the best pizza is near RU New Brunswick these days.
pretty sure you are right about Patti's, ate there occasionally

one of my friends "dined and dashed" out of there early in the school year..... big dope couldn't go back after that for fear of getting caught after the fact, when the rest of us would continue going

Reactions: mildone
There needs to be a pizza place on Livingston. Before the Purdue game at the RAC some Purdue fans who came out for the game walked up to us and asked where to get real New Jersey pizza by the arena. Sadly we told them there’s nothing around. Sbarro in the student center, which is also closed during winter break when a lot of the games are. This is a fail by all parties to not have one near Henry’s diner

Cofaro’s.

Whole pie (large) and a liter of Coke for $4.

Who else is this old ITT? LOL
In the 65-69 period, there was a place adjacent to the train station and I think it was called the Pizza Plaza. A whole pie (not sure of the size) was $2.65 as I recall. Patti's was too upscale for us!

I’ll tell you - Ledge pizza and Rutgers Student Center pizza stacked up well against outside pizzerias back in the day!
I use to cook there (not pizzas). The owners were from Staten Island. I wasn't a really big fan of the pizza. Canned Sauce from Roma pizza with some extra spices, which I didn't think added much flavor and the dough was to thick. Must have had a few hundred slices after working there for 4 years.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I lived upstairs from Giovanneli's for a bit. One time the guy working caught me walking home with a box from Paulie's. I couldn't think of a polite way to tell him that their pizza was bigger, better, and cheaper lol.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
In NB in the early 90s, I never seemed to settle on a single pizza place that clearly separated itself from the others. Mostly found several generally mediocre options across the NB pizza landscape.

On campus, there was a pizza place in the Busch Student Center called Gerlanda's (sp?). Slices were not great but good enough for the price point to get by for a meal if the dining hall didn't have anything worthwhile.

I don't think, so, no. The place I was thinking of was on the other side of Ryder lane from DuSal's. Looking on Google Maps, it's possible that it was where Domoko Sushi Ramen is now. But it was a while back, and my memory sucks, so maybe not.

Edit: did some digging and yes, it used to be called "Perrone's Italian Kitchen" and was in the building where Domoko is today (68 Ryders Ln, East Brunswick, NJ, 08816). Not sure when it changed hands. Was good enough that, even after we'd moved away from the New Brunswick area, we continued to head back now and then.
I used to live off Ryders Lane in EB. DuSals was pretty pedestrian. Perrone’s was ok. Think they changed owners and switched away from Italian fare. Vinny’s up by the Ryders/Milltown Rd intersection was our go-to for pizza.

Best pizza within a few miles of DT NB is Lubrano’s in Somerset

Reactions: MulletCork
pretty sure you are right about Patti's, ate there occasionally

one of my friends "dined and dashed" out of there early in the school year..... big dope couldn't go back after that for fear of getting caught after the fact, when the rest of us would continue going
Yes, Pattie’s was in the space that is currently Olive Branch.

Reactions: rutger80
In the 65-69 period, there was a place adjacent to the train station and I think it was called the Pizza Plaza. A whole pie (not sure of the size) was $2.65 as I recall. Patti's was too upscale for us!
Posted about Pizza Plaza above - was my favorite in the early 80s - just good, solid pizza. Think it closed by the late 80s.

Reactions: 29PAS
In NB in the early 90s, I never seemed to settle on a single pizza place that clearly separated itself from the others. Mostly found several generally mediocre options across the NB pizza landscape.

On campus, there was a pizza place in the Busch Student Center called Gerlanda's (sp?). Slices were not great but good enough for the price point to get by for a meal if the dining hall didn't have anything worthwhile.
That place in Busch had some good pizza. Parked there for games a few times and got a slice.

I like Daniel’s on Easton. Walked over there a couple times while seeing someone at St. Peter’s. Also right there Insomnia Cookies has a good cookie if you like that.

Haven’t been to Krispy at The Yard but been in Brookyn and Old Bridge. Good slice and good employees I found

Back in late 90s I had a friend who worked at Knight Club. I recall getting decent pizza like right near it and bringing it in Knight Club to watch wrestling PPV’s on a Sunday night on their hot box. Good times !

Cofaro’s.

Whole pie (large) and a liter of Coke for $4.

Who else is this old ITT? LOL
When I was a little kid, my family would get our bread there. Was known more as a bread place at the time. That’s when there used to be many Italians in New Brunswick.

Is the place you're referring to DuSal's?

Yep that's it. Pretty sure that is Sicard St.
Dusal’s is after the bridge too, but I believe he is referring to a place that looked like a single family home. There was a story in the local newspaper a while ago now that this place was owned and operated by an Italian American veteran. I believe it has been an Asian place now for many years.

I lived upstairs from Giovanneli's for a bit. One time the guy working caught me walking home with a box from Paulie's. I couldn't think of a polite way to tell him that their pizza was bigger, better, and cheaper lol.
Kareem Wright was a big fan of giovanelii’s. Lots of good memories of Kareem there!

Funny back in the day loved the pizza at The Ledge.
Agree. The Ledge had the best pizza and also featured generously large slices back in the ‘80s. My girlfriend (current wife) could split a large pie and eat the whole thing without gaining any weight. Can’t say that I could do that today!

Scarlet Jerry

• Haha
Reactions: borochop
Before it became the Olive Branch, I think that building housed a pizza place called "Patti's". Not sure about the name, but the pizza was pretty good.

There was another pretty good pizza place on Ryder's lane, just across the bridge over Route 1. Can't recall that name although "Italian Kitchen" comes to mind. That's probably too far off even Douglass Campus to count.

No clue where the best pizza is near RU New Brunswick these days.
Yes it was Italian Kitchen, my family ate there for decades, but the owner's son took over, a real douchebag, and it went downhill and out of business. Now its a sushi place. Dusals is further down.

Reactions: mildone
Yes it was Italian Kitchen, my family ate there for decades, but the owner's son took over, a real douchebag, and it went downhill and out of business. Now its a sushi place. Dusals is further down.
We used to call it The Ick (IK). Food was good.

Daniel's and Krispy are quite good and I like the bar pies at Olive Branch, but I wouldn't say NB is a pizza mecca by any stretch. Used to love Pizza Plaza back in the early 80s and Skinny Vinnies/Patti's when I lived on Ray St. for a few summers. But I'd almost always choose a Stuff Yer Face boli over a NB pizza...
Love Krispy in Old Bridge

Back in the late 70's there was a pizza place in the North Brunswick Shopping Center, I think it was called Benny's (?). Pie was pretty good.

Gerlanda's was owned by the same people who owned the Ledge. It was named after their Grandmother.

Reactions: RUnTeX and RU848789
Daniel's got a very good review from Portnoy. When I lived on Ray Street and Morrell Street circa 1990, Skinny Vinny's was my go-to place and sometimes the bar pies at Patty's.

My cousin, class of '93 lived less than 2 blocks from Skinny Vinny's.

I remember the pizza as a kid. Also Lazzara's bakery up the hill across from St Peter's cemetary
Lazzara’s bakery was a staple before visiting my grandparents in New Brunswick on a Sunday morning in the early 70s. Pignoli on almost everything..lol.

I remember the pizza as a kid. Also Lazzara's bakery up the hill across from St Peter's cemetary
I fondly remember the Coffaro’s in South River. I think they only closed a few years ago. They used to cut the pizza with scissors.

Agree with the sentiment that there’s no good pizza on campus/college Ave. Krispys is by far the best, the vodka slices are anazing and the margherita is good too. Everywhere else is 2AM pizza, not lunch/dinner pizza

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT