ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave Incoming

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Most of the state hasnt even hit 90 once yet despite an overall warmer than normal regime in May and the first half of June. Many of you will not realize how big the jump in temperature will wear on you after days and days of prolonged heat. There is still a question of where the hottest weather will be centered...its expected to possible be north of here in upstate NY and NE. NYC and eastern locations may not see the core of the heat and be more so in the low 90s. Mt Holly going very bullish with the high temps this week and they could be leaning into the dry conditions which only enhances our potential. Lawns already starting to dry out will turn to toasty browns and yellows by the weekend

Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Juneteenth
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Friday
Friday Night
Saturday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98.

I knew this thread was coming. This weather will make your beard grow.

Funny how temp severity is always region specific. You’ll even be warmer there than here in SA (only in the 80s here with rain after 32 days of 90 and 6 of 100 already)

Enjoy it as it won’t last long I’m sure! Summer rules (it’s June so meteorological summer is already on its way even before the solstice)

🥳🥳

Reactions: bac2therac
Just watched the Weather Channel. Showed 80s Monday and 5 degrees cooler each day the rest of the week than your forecast. BTW that's Bergen County

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just watched the Weather Channel. Showed 80s Monday and 5 degrees cooler each day the rest of the week than your forecast. BTW that's Bergen County

Makes sense...you wont be in the core of the heat and west central jersey has been extremely dry. While I am a bit surprised Mt Holly went so bullish with calls for 100 in the hottest locales mid 90s are a safe bet much of the week., its whether we can get that push to 100 which is ip for debate

Longest day of year June 20th

Sunset at 8:31 pm until July 3rd

Then days get shorter by approx a minute each day and approx 2 mins by Aug 1st

More sun More heat
I've always hated that this day comes before the end of June. It kind of signals in my mind that the end of summer is getting closer, probably from the going back to school days. If I were in charge, it would be in late July, early August.

and they snipped a couple of degrees off in the afternoon update...prolly more appropriate

Monday
Sunny, with a high near 90. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 95. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Juneteenth
Sunny, with a high near 96.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 69.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 97.
Thursday Night
Friday
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Saturday
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 93.

Was planning to drive up to Hanover NH this week to begin a 150-mile hike of the Appalachian Trail, southbound thru Vermont to the MA border. But temps forecasted to be near 100 Thursday in Hanover, my planned start date. Now rethinking "things." Sheeeshhhh....

Down the shore, high is 90 3 miles inland in Allenwood

Can we get the pro @RU848789 to add some context here?
Thought about starting this thread 2-3 days ago, but I know how much bac likes the heat and figured let him have his day in the sun, so to speak. It gon' be hot and almost completely dry through next weekend with temps in most places likely being over 90F for highs from Tuesday (maybe Monday in some spots) through Saturday and probably even Sunday - and even mid/upper 90s from Tues through Sat. Very unlikely for there to be any rain and not even many clouds for relief, although at least it's not supposed to be oppressively humid with dewpoints in the upper 60s through most of the period (and not into the oppressive low/mid 70s).

It also looks like much of the following week could have temps in the low 90s. Summer is seriously here. Extended heat for many days starts to become a health/life safety issue for some.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Most of the state hasnt even hit 90 once yet despite an overall warmer than normal regime in May and the first half of June. Many of you will not realize how big the jump in temperature will wear on you after days and days of prolonged heat. There is still a question of where the hottest weather will be centered...its expected to possible be north of here in upstate NY and NE. NYC and eastern locations may not see the core of the heat and be more so in the low 90s. Mt Holly going very bullish with the high temps this week and they could be leaning into the dry conditions which only enhances our potential. Lawns already starting to dry out will turn to toasty browns and yellows by the weekend

Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Juneteenth
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Thursday
Thursday Night
Friday
Friday Night
Saturday
I’ll wait for Numbers’ forecast, this one’s fake news.

I’ll wait for Numbers’ forecast, this one’s fake news.
giphy.gif

Just sliding off a couple of weeks of mostly 90s.

80 high today, down in the 70s for a few. Glorious.

I see that it will hit 92 in my area Tuesday. Thus far we have been spoiled with the beautiful weather. I barely ran the AC.

• Today
    Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. South wind 5 to 15 mph.

High: 90 °F
    Mostly Sunny
  • Tonight
    Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 10 mph.

Low: 66 °F
    Mostly Clear
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 95. Heat index values as high as 101. Southwest wind around 5 mph.

High: 95 °F
    Sunny
  • Tuesday Night
    Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 67. South wind 5 to 10 mph.

Low: 67 °F
    Mostly Clear
  • Juneteenth
    Juneteenth: Sunny, with a high near 96. Southwest wind around 5 mph.

High: 96 °F
    Sunny
  • Wednesday Night
    Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 68.

Low: 68 °F
    Mostly Clear
  • Thursday
    Thursday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98.

High: 98 °F
    Hot
  • Thursday Night
    Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 72.

Low: 72 °F
    Partly Cloudy
  • Friday
    Friday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

High: 101 °F
    Hot

Just in case you're wondering, here is a list of the last time our local climate reporting stations hit 100 degrees:
—Newark Liberty International Airport... August 9, 2022
—Trenton Mercer Regional Airport... July 18, 2012
—Atlantic City International Airport... July 21, 2019
—Central Park, New York City... July 18, 2012
—Philadelphia International Airport... July 18, 2012

For what ever reason, this song is "summer" for me
Drivin my 67 Riviera windows down, hair blowin in the wind with the AM radio that has a FM converter attached,
Listening to Scot Muni on WNEW 102.7 where rock lives...

Uh-oh.

No A/C upstairs at the moment, our attic unit is in the midst of being replaced and it's a big job. My guy started on it a few weeks back and it's gonna be at least a few more days to get it up and running, if not a week or more. So of course we're gonna have a heat-wave now. 😀

And, because that's how life works, we suddenly have a new canine member of the family that's part Great Dane and apparently has endless energy. Despite tag-teaming him with one of my kids, he's been walking us into the ground at his near-run, indefatigable walking pace.

I was researching elliptical machines and stair climbers to add to the rower and weights for workouts. But no need now. Walking this guy is a total body workout. Upper and lower body both sore after 3 days with him.

Now that I think about it, bring on the heat, maybe it'll slow him down a little.

Made a fun set of "summer" songs within a much longer (5 hours) playlist for our annual work BBQ last summer. It includes songs from a variety of genres and is largely in chronological order from the late 50s until the 80s, where I used the dual "Cruel Summer" songs by Bananarama and Taylor Swift, allowing a leap up to recent songs, descending back down into the 80s.

Summertime Blues, 1958, Eddie Cochran
Surfin' Safari, 1962, The Beach Boys
Summer In The City, 1966, The Lovin' Spoonful
Summer Wind, 1966, Frank Sinatra
Hot Fun In The Summer Time, 1969, Sly & The Family Stone
School's Out, 1972, Alice Cooper
Summer Breeze, 1975, Seals & Crofts
Lovely Day, 1977, Bill Withers
Rockaway Beach, 1977, The Ramones
Walking On Sunshine, 1985, Katrina & The Waves
Cruel Summer, 1983, Bananarama
Cruel Summer, 2019, Taylor Swift
Solar Power, 2021, Lorde
Fell in the Sun 2015 Big Grams
Summer, 2014, Calvin Harris
Summertime Clothes, 2009, Animal Collective
Summer Babe, 1992, Pavement
Summertime, 1991, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
The Boys of Summer, 1984, Don Henley

Last edited:
I always like the Blue Cheer version of "Summertime Blues". And how about the Jamies version of "Summertime".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT