ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave Incoming

Per NJ news 12:

The cold water was due to a process called upwelling, which occurs when strong winds from the south and southwest push warm water to the bottom of the ocean, causing cold water from the ocean floor to rise to the surface.

The map showed most of the NJ shoreline but Sandy Hook might be north enough to feel the avg temp in the low 70s.
Is this really news?? Similar to green heads being a problem on the beach when there is a West wind.
It's like some people have never been to the beach consistently in NJ.
And they don't move the warm to the bottom. They move it North or offshore.

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
Today was deceptively hot at camp. Totally snuck up on the staff and we sent a bunch of them home with heat related illnesses. I'm always shocked when the parents send the kids in when it's going to be 100+ out. It's hard to keep them upright.

Today was deceptively hot at camp. Totally snuck up on the staff and we sent a bunch of them home with heat related illnesses. I'm always shocked when the parents send the kids in when it's going to be 100+ out. It's hard to keep them upright.
Camp? Still need the extra money? :)

Been pouring here for the last 30 minutes or so, but no reports of high winds in our area that I've seen - some high winds and downed trees reported elsewhere, though. Can't wait for the return to normal weather tomorrow.

Have friends at CitiField at the Foo Fighters show and they just stopped it for awhile presumably. Sucks.

Most of the state hasnt even hit 90 once yet despite an overall warmer than normal regime in May and the first half of June. Many of you will not realize how big the jump in temperature will wear on you after days and days of prolonged heat. There is still a question of where the hottest weather will be centered...its expected to possible be north of here in upstate NY and NE. NYC and eastern locations may not see the core of the heat and be more so in the low 90s. Mt Holly going very bullish with the high temps this week and they could be leaning into the dry conditions which only enhances our potential. Lawns already starting to dry out will turn to toasty browns and yellows by the weekend

Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Juneteenth
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Friday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Saturday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98.
Can we end this thread now and start a cold wave thread?

Is this really news?? Similar to green heads being a problem on the beach when there is a West wind.
It's like some people have never been to the beach consistently in NJ.
And they don't move the warm to the bottom. They move it North or offshore.
I knew the general science but I found his last sentence informative:

"The map showed most of the NJ shoreline but Sandy Hook might be north enough to feel the avg temp in the low 70s".

Sandy Hook curves west and because of that (I think) it doesn't get the same wave intensity as beaches just a coupe miles South. Maybe something like that is in play with the water temps.

10 day forecast last night had every day in the upper 80's. The key thing, though, is that the night time temps were going to be in the 60's.

I am so glad this heatwave is over...

Tuesday night's storm took out our power. PECO says up by Wed Afternoon, no big deal, just need to sweat through one night.
Wed afternoon power comes on around 3 or so, Great! Mother Nature say Nah! and another series of storms cranks through at 4 and takes out the power again. Finally got it back about an hour ago.

Can't wait to actually sleep through the night tonight.

Today was great and just in time, as I was at an all afternoon BBQ in Rahway Park, DJ-ing for my old boss's group of ~200; it's fun going back and seeing a bunch of folks I used to work with. They had a great food truck and then an ice cream truck later on. Then got in a round of disc golf at Thompson Park in Jamesburg - first time in awhile I wasn't completely drenched after playing.

Weather looks great for the next week or so (mostly seasonable with tolerable humidity), although it'll warm up some in the 8-14 day timeframe, but it's unlikely to be as hot/humid as what we've been through.

814temp.new.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT