ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Billy Joel #100

Thanks for posting that. It contained the answer to my question above:

December 14, 1974 - MULTIPURPOSE ROOM, STUDENT CENTER, RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ (after the Billy Joel appearance)

No set details known. Following his guest appearance with Billy Joel at the main Rutgers concert auditorium (see above listing) Springsteen walks across campus to the school’s Student Center and jams with Sid Gottlieb’s band Heavy Trucking. This took place after midnight, so technically speaking it was on December 15. Heavy Trucking had previously opened for Bruce at a concert at Rutgers on April 1, 1973. Peter Wyman, who worked for Rutgers University Major Events Programs at the time, has commented to Brucebase “after the (Billy Joel) encore Bruce was by a back door and asked me what the quickest way to the Student Center was. I walked him there and he told me he wanted to play with Heavy Trucking, they did five or six songs together”.
Source , please take a look at my image above, thought you would appreciate it.

That Ledge show was in 1972 with "The Bruce Springsteen Band"? if so WOW! I remember years ago seeing a tape of that show for sale in "The Aquarian"

I believe it was December 14, 1971 at The Ledge (aka Student Activity Center) for "The Bruce Springsteen Band" and it was free.

Thank you for sharing that video MGSA99. That was awesome and I will always love Bruce’s music but just wish he’d stick to the music only and leave the politics out but regardless he will always be my all time favorite.
Ha! Thanks! That sentiment never fails to elicit actual, out-loud laughter from me.

Haven't seem it listed yet but channel 4 reported yesterday afternoon that Bruce's Final "Bruce on Broadway" show will be streamed on Netflix. I believe I heard they are taping for a DVD.
I don't think the last show is being streamed live. I believe the show has already been filmed and will be released on Netflix starting on the night of the last show in mid December.

Reactions: Peteyd
You'll enjoy this article. You'll notice that Wooding's name is at the bottom of the poster...

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2015/10/14/night-springsteen-played-barn-rutgers/73883928/

Wow, thanks for linking that article. First off never realized my poster might be worth $750 but of course never being sold. Second, I was at all of those concerts mentioned, Billy, Meatloaf and Boston. When Boston played the paint was falling from the ceiling like it was snowing. Also students would sit outside during the concerts since the Barn windows would be open and they could hear the whole thing.

Wow, thanks for linking that article... Second, I was at all of those concerts mentioned, Billy, Meatloaf and Boston. When Boston played the paint was falling from the ceiling like it was snowing. Also students would sit outside during the concerts since the Barn windows would be open and they could hear the whole thing.

Here are some other musical performances and speakers at The Barn in the latter half of the 1970s. BTW, the Gene Roddenberry appearance, of Star Trek fame, was one of the earliest incarnations of a Star Trek convention:

Jefferson Starship, Jerry Garcia Band, Warren Zevon, Boston Symphony, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Harry Chapin, Gene Roddenberry, Alan Alda, Hall & Oates, Smokey Robinson, Gabe Kaplan, Dan Fogelberg, Kinks, Jackson Browne, Phoebe Snow, Billy Joel, Arlo Guthrie, Brewer & Shipley, Renaissance, Caravan, Southern, Hillman & Furay... more.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I saw Warren Zevon at the Barn (1980?). We were down front. Thought I went deaf.

Guy hasn't put out any new material in what, 25 years ? If I liked BJ, I'd sooner go see Big Shot, the tribute band at some club. A lot cheaper and probably better quality

It's good not to sell out on your beliefs. That's why as a person Lebron James>Michael Jordan.
It's not selling out to respect the fact that people have differing views on things. Calling 50% of your potential customer base an endless list of "ists" and "isms" is bad business. I know respectful disagreement is foreign to those on the left. Tolerance?😂😂😂😂
That's a one way street with tire puncturing devices blocking any dissenting opinion according to liberals.

LeBron James? I respect he has an opinion. But being rich and good at basketball doesn't give his views any more weight than your average person on the street. LeBron > Mike? Not by any measure that means a damn.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
I have been going to MSG for his shows for years, last saw him on May 5. It was one of the best, most high energy show I've seen in a long time. Well worth the money. I'll try to see him one more time before the residency ends.

Saw Billy Joel in 1976 in the Village at The Bottom Line.
Right after the release of Turnstiles. Great show.
I first saw him in either 1974 or 1975 in the Capital Theatre in Passaic.

One of the best concerts I've attended was when I saw him and Elton John together at Continental Arena (or whatever was called at the time). Each played individually for an hour, and finished up together for another hour.

Guy hasn't put out any new material in what, 25 years ? If I liked BJ, I'd sooner go see Big Shot, the tribute band at some club. A lot cheaper and probably better quality
You'd be wrong. I saw him for the 10th time last summer. Took my 6 and 8 year old sons for their first concert. It was a great show. Sure, he's slowed down a little since I first saw him with Elton John in the 90s, but he's still got more energy on stage than most artists, even those half his age. I will be trying to go to #150.

Bruce’s politics are not great.

Maybe it’s because u agree with his liberal ways? Yea, that’s probably it.
And clearly you don’t, so it’s not. If you think his work isn’t political, try actually reading the lyrics - you think Born In the USA is apolitical?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Huge Billy Joel fan, but he really pissed me off when he added that second show at Shea after the first one sold out and I haven't gone to see him since. I read an interview with him a few years back and he pretty much admitted that he's only still performing because of the money. This announcement doesn't surprise me after he put his Long Island estate on the market about a month ago.

Huge Billy Joel fan, but he really pissed me off when he added that second show at Shea after the first one sold out and I haven't gone to see him since. I read an interview with him a few years back and he pretty much admitted that he's only still performing because of the money. This announcement doesn't surprise me after he put his Long Island estate on the market about a month ago.
I got shut out of that first show at Shea but managed to get tickets for the real last show . It was an awesome Friday night with McCartney closing the stadium and show out . Glad he added a last show!!
The people that bought tickets thinking they would see the last show… 😝

I got shut out of that first show at Shea but managed to get tickets for the real last show . It was an awesome Friday night with McCartney closing the stadium and show out . Glad he added a last show!!

Yep. He even mentioned it during the first show and the crowd booed him. I had friends at the second show and they were texting me about Steven Tyler and McCartney being there to the point where I shut my phone off.

I've attended close to a thousand concerts and that show at Shea was one of the hottest ever. I think the temperature was 88 and the humidity level was 99. Absolutely brutal!

I've seen BJ more than 50x. The first time was when he was did a run of shows at MSG during the World Series in 1986. He kept on giving score updates during the show. Remember, no cell phones back then!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...P4dGocRU9s2MV3BvG8GZx3TKM9MXAfLyWVz8mEhVur-Fs

Most artists go on tour to promote a new album. Billy does it to pay off his four ex-wives. I despise the guy

BTW, if you have trouble sleeping at night, just put on Billy’s last album, “delusions” or whatever it’s called. You’ll be sound asleep inside of 10 minutes

Reactions: Morrischiano
Ticket prices may start at 1K for that final show.
“Sophisticated” Nyers will pay big $ to see a 75 yo man sing songs from 40 years ago. I thought there’s so much to do there? You’d think with so much sophistication these shows would die on the vine and there’d be better things to do?.

Even as a Billy Joel fan, I agree with some of what Moose thinks, especially needing the money for his exes and rereleases of his material.

Most artists go on tour to promote a new album. Billy does it to pay off his four ex-wives. I despise the guy
I don't know how anyone could despise Billy Joel. There are a few of his tunes that I wouldn't necessarily turn off if they came on the radio. Just a few though. He's sorta like John Mellencamp sitting at a piano...or John Bongiovi. Mostly lame lyrics and not enough guitar. And the guy is in his 70s playing the piano in arenas and stadiums. He's no Elton John or Dr. John or Liberace.
I don't get the attraction.
But I don't see how anyone could despise him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT