ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bitcoin, Altcoins, NFT's & All Things Crypto

BTW, regarding ETFs, it will be interesting to see what happens when GBTC is converted to an ETF. Looks like Grayscale is ready to go once the SEC gives the green light.

The price of btc is going to climb due to the volume. You will want to own the asset outright before that happens

Nope. Contemplated selling some right after the Coinbase listing, but opted against it due to its use case. The token is used to onboard BTC payments at retail establishments. It can also be expanded for other currencies. I grabbed a ton last year at 1/2 of a penny. would have done nicely flipping when it was .$12.

I figured I'd give a rundown of the alts I'm passionate about

AMP - Mentioned above.

AXS - Axie Infinity in-game NFT token. Its up ~500 - 700% this month. As game usage expands past emerging countries this will continue its rise. Bought in at $1 - 1.25, currently around $19.

DCR - Decred has amazing potential. At it's core, it's a much better version of BTC. Same max supply as BTC of 21 mill, it's a hybrid proof of work (mining) and proof of stake. Currently 59% of all DCR in circulation are staked, which is unreal. It's supported by a lot of original BTC holders and multiple well respected on-chain analysts. Currently $110. It's not available on any domestic exchange. This jumps to $1000 overnight when it gets listed on coinbase.

ELA - Elastos web 3.0. This is my passion project coin. https://www.elastos.org/
If they can accomplish what they're trying to do, the sky is the limit on this coin. There's a 28 mill max circulation, so it's a tight supply. It's also deflationary like BTC with a halving every 4 years. This is currently $2.06 per coin. There is not another alt out there with this much potential. When it ICO'd in 2018 it hit an all time high of ~$90. It hovered for under a dollar for part of last year. It peaked at $14 this year before following the rest of the market downwards.
The DAO (governance of the coin) has over 1,000 BTC to finance development. You're essentially buying into a greyscale for $2 a coin. One of the founders of the coin is a Microsoft veteran who helped built IE back in the day. The other is a former Tencent exec. They're both very active on twitter and on Telegram. They have two other side projects on the Elastos ecosystem, Filda & Creda. Creda allows you to make money on your digital credit profile. And Filda...

Filda - It's the defi protocol affiliated with Elastos. I've watched this token tank from $1 down to $.13 cents where its at right now. It's currently only afilliated with one network HECO, which right now is like a poormans version of Binance Chain. It's in the process of expanding. The token allows you to lend, borrow and stake crypto. Im currently staking a ton of these right now, as the APY is over 200% when you stake in the DAO. This is a calculated dart throw of a token. I could very easily see this at $10 in the next 2 - 3 years. If Elastos does what I hope it will do, the potential is much higher.

AAVE - Defi lending protocal on Ethereum. They were one of the original defi platforms, that went bezerk in last years "summer of defi" Only 16mil of this token avail. If it dips down below $200 again, I intend to purchase more.

Lastly, I hold WOZX, which is Steve Wozniak's green token. It's dog shit. After peaking near $5 it's been lurking under a dollar for a while now. It's a token that is still in the planning phase. So I;ll wait and hold.

The two alts I keep an eye on are
STX - Serves as a reward mechanism for governments' to earn BTC via Citycoin (which is one of the coolest concepts I've seen in a while)
ICP - Dfinity or Internet Coin Protocol. In 3 mos, this coin has gone from $700 down to $25 to around $29 right now. It's another web 3.0 play. These guys do a great job at marketing; especially when compared to Elastos.

If I can help anyone has questions on BTC or alts, let me know. I'd be happy to chat here or via dm.

What are your thoughts on DGB? I have been following them since the start and hold a decent amount of the coins,it just never seems to get the respect that other alts received.

What are your thoughts on DGB? I have been following them since the start and hold a decent amount of the coins,it just never seems to get the respect that other alts received.

Hopefully you were able to purchase 10k+ plus when it was under $.01. If so, next big pop over .10 or .15, I'd consider cashing out and shifting to BTC or a more stable alt. I don't foresee it going off. Youve got a max circ of 21 bill, vs 21 mill for btc. Also, the timetable to release all coins is over the next 14 years, meaning there's going to be a TON of supply on the market, limiting its room to run.

I havent done a ton of research on it, and that's just my opinion. You have to weigh the risk/reward of holding x amount you own. 90% of alt coins are going to be worthless over the next decade. And that's probably a conservative number. There's nothing to stop anyone from creating a coin. Honestly, myself and a few others are currently exploring options for our own coin. Why? No reason whatsoever. Same reason I built a web page in 1995. It seemed like a fun idea.

Reactions: rurichdog
I have a small gemeni acct with Bitcoin, eth, uniswap how do you own them outright
You're halfway there. You conquered the first step, which is purchasing crypto on an exchange that allows you to withdraw the coins. From there, you can take custody of your coins on a hardware or software wallet.

If you only own small amounts, its probably best not to move them to a wallet. Gemini is the best insured of all the domestic exchanges. I have about 1/4 of my btc in an earn account on gemini making 2% interest. The rest is on a hardware wallet.

Eth you can also store on MetaMask, which is a software wallet that builds into chrome. Its pretty cool in that it can easily link into certain website and allow for easy trading, swaps, staking, etc. I stake a ton of Filda via a metamask wallet.

Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Add Chase Bank to the list of shitty banks that no longer allow Crypto purchases via debit/credit. I tried to purchase more DCR & ELA on this dip and Chase now prohibits these purchases via debit.

Let's see if the breakout this weekend is for real. The on chain metrics have been positive for the last 3 weeks, but the price was still sideways.

Glad to see this is finally happening:

Tether has been bullshit for a long time. Their claims that each USDT is backed by a physical dollar have been a running joke for sometime. Glad to finally see action in it. You should see more USDT work its way into BTC as this continues. Trading volume is up around 60% on Tether in the past 24 hours. If this continues, things are about to get real with tether.

Here's some more fun news.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Let's see if the breakout this weekend is for real. The on chain metrics have been positive for the last 3 weeks, but the price was still sideways.

Tether has been bullshit for a long time. Their claims that each USDT is backed by a physical dollar have been a running joke for sometime. Glad to finally see action in it. You should see more USDT work its way into BTC as this continues. Trading volume is up around 60% on Tether in the past 24 hours. If this continues, things are about to get real with tether.

Very nice weekend for the market. Lots of bullish events are happening!

On chain for ETH looking bullish. Hard fork coming soon:

So much happening in crypto right now. It's remarkable how far crypto has come in the past year. The fact that a 1 trillion dollar infrastructure bill has been held up due to Crypto language is amazing to me. For those not following this, DC in typical fashion slipped in language for all sorts of Pork in the bill. There was an amendment in there that would have been a death blow to American based crypto-companies, by doing what DC does best; taxing.

Senators Lummis, Toomey & Wyden put forth an amendment that eased this language, which was immediately faced with backlash from The White House, Yellen, and some senators bankrolled by the banking industry. There were competing bi-partisan amendments, but on the surface it seems Lummis Toomey amendment seems to be the basis for what is being improved. The next 24 hours will be telling.

Why is all this positive? Regulation, in some capacity, is validation. Regulation also opens the doors for more institutional buy in, and after listening to the crypto tour run of interviews that SEC Chair Gensler gave last week, we could be looking at a Bitcoin ETF in the near future. This is tremendous in opening the door to more people, but most importantly for volume. At the next BTC halvening in 3 years, ETF's could easily amount to buying up 1/4 of all new BTC mined on a daily basis.

ETH has rolled out a huge update last week you can read about here:

Do I think it's the magic pill a lot of ETH people do, no. Gas prices have not come down; in fact they've gone up since this has been rolled out. The long term change to proof of stake is going to prove to be a bad decision when it makes that switch in a few years. The changes outlined in that article are great in theory, but will prove to be burdensome long term.

Here's a small thread from the pseudonymous on chain analyst, Checkmate. He is one of the brightest mind in on-chain analysis in the crypto-space.

On-chain analysis still shows a huge price divergence between what the price currently is and what the metrics are showing. If the two converge in the short term, we could be very quickly looking at BTC between 53-58k.

So much happening in crypto right now. It's remarkable how far crypto has come in the past year. The fact that a 1 trillion dollar infrastructure bill has been held up due to Crypto language is amazing to me. For those not following this, DC in typical fashion slipped in language for all sorts of Pork in the bill. There was an amendment in there that would have been a death blow to American based crypto-companies, by doing what DC does best; taxing.

Senators Lummis, Toomey & Wyden put forth an amendment that eased this language, which was immediately faced with backlash from The White House, Yellen, and some senators bankrolled by the banking industry. There were competing bi-partisan amendments, but on the surface it seems Lummis Toomey amendment seems to be the basis for what is being improved. The next 24 hours will be telling.

Why is all this positive? Regulation, in some capacity, is validation. Regulation also opens the doors for more institutional buy in, and after listening to the crypto tour run of interviews that SEC Chair Gensler gave last week, we could be looking at a Bitcoin ETF in the near future. This is tremendous in opening the door to more people, but most importantly for volume. At the next BTC halvening in 3 years, ETF's could easily amount to buying up 1/4 of all new BTC mined on a daily basis.

ETH has rolled out a huge update last week you can read about here:

Do I think it's the magic pill a lot of ETH people do, no. Gas prices have not come down; in fact they've gone up since this has been rolled out. The long term change to proof of stake is going to prove to be a bad decision when it makes that switch in a few years. The changes outlined in that article are great in theory, but will prove to be burdensome long term.

Here's a small thread from the pseudonymous on chain analyst, Checkmate. He is one of the brightest mind in on-chain analysis in the crypto-space.

On-chain analysis still shows a huge price divergence between what the price currently is and what the metrics are showing. If the two converge in the short term, we could be very quickly looking at BTC between 53-58k.
ETH / BTC flippening coming soon! 😁

ETH / BTC flippening coming soon! 😁
Lol.
It's certainly possible, doubtful but possible. I've outlined a ton of ETH's flaws here; fees & speed being chief among them. There's too much competition from other chains with drastically cheaper fees and quicker speeds. For example, I can stake or move coins acrosst he HECO chain for pennies, and in less than 5 seconds normally. Binance Smart Chain has seen significant growth due to low costs.

I compare ETH to Mapquest in 98. They owned the market share of e-maps, but their product was not the best. My printed maps often had me going bass akwards directions to get places or in some situations, not even to the right place. I vividly recall going to see Primus in the Electric Factory in Philly around 2000. Mapquest landed me at a 7-11 on the BLVD in NE Philly. Oddly enough, I was one of 5 groups of people w the same issue that day. Anecdotal evidence aside, Google Maps came out with a faster sleeker product (even before integration on Blackberry or the first iPhone) that delivered better results. Mapquest lingered on but is essentially a relic. Similar to Myspace, which might be a better comparison.

You're seeing the same thing occur now with smart contracts on chain. Mind you, I don't want to see ETH fail as I own plenty, I just don't think it's the panacea you or others think it is.

Lol.
It's certainly possible, doubtful but possible. I've outlined a ton of ETH's flaws here; fees & speed being chief among them. There's too much competition from other chains with drastically cheaper fees and quicker speeds. For example, I can stake or move coins acrosst he HECO chain for pennies, and in less than 5 seconds normally. Binance Smart Chain has seen significant growth due to low costs.

I compare ETH to Mapquest in 98. They owned the market share of e-maps, but their product was not the best. My printed maps often had me going bass akwards directions to get places or in some situations, not even to the right place. I vividly recall going to see Primus in the Electric Factory in Philly around 2000. Mapquest landed me at a 7-11 on the BLVD in NE Philly. Oddly enough, I was one of 5 groups of people w the same issue that day. Anecdotal evidence aside, Google Maps came out with a faster sleeker product (even before integration on Blackberry or the first iPhone) that delivered better results. Mapquest lingered on but is essentially a relic. Similar to Myspace, which might be a better comparison.

You're seeing the same thing occur now with smart contracts on chain. Mind you, I don't want to see ETH fail as I own plenty, I just don't think it's the panacea you or others think it is.
ETH has the best product, the best developers, and the most resources to keep improving. It will take Cardano and Polkadot 3-4 years to get were ETH is right now, but by then, ETH will be another 3-4 years ahead. Nobody has the resources to catch ETH as of now.....and it's not even close. Wait until sports teams and organizations start using ETH for tickets (with the functionality to make money on resales).

And let me conclude with respect to the big dog BTC. ETH and BTC are not competitors in any way.

ETH has the best product, the best developers, and the most resources to keep improving. It will take Cardano and Polkadot 3-4 years to get were ETH is right now, but by then, ETH will be another 3-4 years ahead. Nobody has the resources to catch ETH as of now.....and it's not even close. Wait until sports teams and organizations start using ETH for tickets (with the functionality to make money on resales).

And let me conclude with respect to the big dog BTC. ETH and BTC are not competitors in any way.

Ada and dot are not quality products imo. The flippening you should he asking yourself is when BSC catches up to ETH.

Wait until a league like the NBA pulls away from the ethereum blockclain and moves to another for its NFT's.... Ohh yeah, that's already happened. They formed Top Shots for their nfts.

But let's hypothetically say they didn't already make that move. Would you be good with a 40-$60 fee for selling a digital nft ticket? Most people wouldn't be. Ticketsmaster isn't even that bad.

Nice summary of the London Hard Fork and ETH 2.0,

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez148A7xqQw&list=WL&index=16.....

^^^ Stupid post, as usual.
Crypto has no intrinsic value. if you want to invest money go for it but no need to pump others up here to buy it, particularly since that’s what is driving the price up. One, Bitcoin could be considered like gold, a store of value, as long as everyone keeps thinking it has value. Gold has a much longer track record on that front. Otherwise they are currencies which have no inherent value.

Stupid comment, yet again, especially regarding the ETH blockchain. Education yourself and then post. LOL at you.
Blockchain tech is going to used by everyone including banks and government. That does not translate to value of a crypto. Get a clue and keep day trading.

Reactions: NickRU714
Blockchain tech is going to used by everyone including banks and government. That does not translate to value of a crypto. Get a clue and keep day trading.

Bad analogy - gold has value as it could litetally be used as a rock or jewelry or something else.

I think of Crypto as like the old Toys R Us Geoffrey bucks or a gift card.
There is literally no value outside of the very narrow use case.
It's not actual "currency".

Bad analogy - gold has value as it could litetally be used as a rock or jewelry or something else.

I should say Bitcoin is akin to gold as people assign a value to it. At least today. And companies including Tesla and Amazon putting Bitcoin on balance sheet means they may accept it as a form of payment, therefore akin to a currency.

Reactions: NickRU714

Crypto is definitely not "currency". However, the value is not very narrow, especially for smart contract based blockchains.

You are bringing the stupid today! Congrats. Banks and government blockchains? LOL! Sure, everyone interested in defi and decentralized systems will surely jump on that.

You = 🤣

You are bringing the stupid today! Congrats. Banks and government blockchains? LOL! Sure, everyone interested in defi and decentralized systems will surely jump on that.

You = 🤣

Are you saying there is no difference between blockchain technology and "cryptocurrency"?

One is a technology that is already being used by financial institutions for smartcontracts.

The other is an investment vehicle also using that technology.

Reactions: pmvon

You = 🤣

Try google and get back to me. The values in the tech. Federal reserve and banks are well documented on this. If you think governments are going to allow you to decentralize the monetary system, I have some land in South Dakota to sell you.

Crypto has no intrinsic value. if you want to invest money go for it but no need to pump others up here to buy it, particularly since that’s what is driving the price up. One, Bitcoin could be considered like gold, a store of value, as long as everyone keeps thinking it has value. Gold has a much longer track record on that front. Otherwise they are currencies which have no inherent value.
Gold's track record currently has it negative in a 10 year return.
It's already begginning to be adopted and you'll see the Us Govt launch their own CBDC soon. This will directly translate to the value of BTC as more people will be easily onboarded to the digital currency space. Give it 5 years and we will all have digital wallets containing CBDC coins an other digital assets.

What is currency? What is money? BTC forced me to look at the definition of currency or money differently. As a culture, we (the US) look at our current environment and fail to look at history. Throughout history, gold has been stolen, currencies have been debased or inflated to the point of uselessness. People need to look at America through a wider lens. Our reign as kings of the world is most likely coming to an end. Inflation is going to be disgusting. 40% of Americans dont own assets that will rise in value w inflation. Those people are f'd. The rich are about to get MUCH richer, and the poorer much poorer. But hey, let's just print another 5 trillion in the name of infrastructure.

It's already begginning to be adopted and you'll see the Us Govt launch their own CBDC soon. This will directly translate to the value of BTC as more people will be easily onboarded to the digital currency space. Give it 5 years and we will all have digital wallets containing CBDC coins an other digital assets.

What is currency? What is money? BTC forced me to look at the definition of currency or money differently. As a culture, we (the US) look at our current environment and fail to look at history. Throughout history, gold has been stolen, currencies have been debased or inflated to the point of uselessness. People need to look at America through a wider lens. Our reign as kings of the world is most likely coming to an end. Inflation is going to be disgusting. 40% of Americans dont own assets that will rise in value w inflation. Those people are f'd. The rich are about to get MUCH richer, and the poorer much poorer. But hey, let's just print another 5 trillion in the name of infrastructure.
You need to look further than 10 years. Gold has been around for thousands. That doesn’t mean I think it’s a good investment. What says that any crypto should be a hedge against inflation? Do you have any evidence?

read Bridgewater

Careful with all this common sense. Those that don't get it likely never will. LOL!

This intrigued me and got me to dip into Crypto as well (I jumped in a little too early for the dip, but oh well). My main concerns after getting into Crypto are (1) Crypto is largely based off the dollar in trading, so not sure it doesn't take a hit with inflation as well. (2) Governments have the power to largely nullify the value of Crypto through outrageous taxation and regulation. How is it a good store of value if you are going to get hit with a 50% tax rate on this investment vs a 15% tax rate on other capital gains investments? (3) The fact that it is so susceptible to market manipulations by guys like Elon Musk makes me nervous (and no, I didn't invest in Doge).

Edit: My concern with inflation is the hyper inflation scenario, not standard inflation.

You need to look further than 10 years. Gold has been around for thousands. That doesn’t mean I think it’s a good investment. What says that any crypto should be a hedge against inflation? Do you have any evidence?

read Bridgewater

Ok, and it also has a pretty solid record of being confiscated by governments or ruling bodies. Let's see, domestically, it happened in the war of 1812, Civil War and during the depression. Let's see, Italy, Germany, Great Britain & Australia have done it in the past 100 years. We can dig deeper if you'd like and show a much greater record of it being seized. So to me the gold has been around for thousands of years argument is a moot point.

As far as BTC as an inflation hedge, I'm more than willing to place my hedge on a deflationary programmatic asset that is fully transparent with every trade or new coin mined.

Ok, and it also has a pretty solid record of being confiscated by governments or ruling bodies. Let's see, domestically, it happened in the war of 1812, Civil War and during the depression. Let's see, Italy, Germany, Great Britain & Australia have done it in the past 100 years. We can dig deeper if you'd like and show a much greater record of it being seized. So to me the gold has been around for thousands of years argument is a moot point.

As far as BTC as an inflation hedge, I'm more than willing to place my hedge on a deflationary programmatic asset that is fully transparent with every trade or new coin mined.
So then what is the best hedge for inflation right now? I mean you can see this coming from a mile away

Pump…dump…repeat…pump…dump…repeat…the Winklevoss Twins and the rest of the crypto insiders are pissing themselves laughing at all the “crypto investors”. Wake up folks - the massive swings are market manipulation. And the poor retail suckers keep getting left holding the bag.

So then what is the best hedge for inflation right now? I mean you can see this coming from a mile away
Clearly you're sarcastic here, but the answer is BTC.

Pump…dump…repeat…pump…dump…repeat…the Winklevoss Twins and the rest of the crypto insiders are pissing themselves laughing at all the “crypto investors”. Wake up folks - the massive swings are market manipulation. And the poor retail suckers keep getting left holding the bag.

And the manipulation isnt insiders on Wall St? Who's fooling who here? BTC is prone to massive swings and speculation, often driven by people with an agenda--- be it BS FUD articles to drive down the price or Elon and his propensity to Tweet. The past year has proven how much manipulation there is in traditional investments as well.

The Winklevii & other people driving crypto innovation are pissing themselves just as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Segei Brin, or anyone else who spurred technological development in the late 90's early 00's was.

Yes, there is also countless bag holders in crypto. Those come in the form of the shitcoin holders who buy into influencer marketing on the next coin or token going to the moon.

You do you, but if you think all crypto is a pump and dump scheme there's really no point in engaging further. I encourage you to open your mind to the change that is happening in the digital space. We're at the precipice of the next internet or web3.0, and crypto will be a massive part of the equation. My goal with this thread has been to open my fellow Rutgers fans eyes to BTC, the crypto space and the changes that are (no so) subtly happening in in our economy.

You say this as if we haven't been making money.

Clearly you're sarcastic here, but the answer is BTC.

And the manipulation isnt insiders on Wall St? Who's fooling who here? BTC is prone to massive swings and speculation, often driven by people with an agenda--- be it BS FUD articles to drive down the price or Elon and his propensity to Tweet. The past year has proven how much manipulation there is in traditional investments as well.

The Winklevii & other people driving crypto innovation are pissing themselves just as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Segei Brin, or anyone else who spurred technological development in the late 90's early 00's was.

Yes, there is also countless bag holders in crypto. Those come in the form of the shitcoin holders who buy into influencer marketing on the next coin or token going to the moon.

You do you, but if you think all crypto is a pump and dump scheme there's really no point in engaging further. I encourage you to open your mind to the change that is happening in the digital space. We're at the precipice of the next internet or web3.0, and crypto will be a massive part of the equation. My goal with this thread has been to open my fellow Rutgers fans eyes to BTC, the crypto space and the changes that are (no so) subtly happening in in our economy.
I own Ethereum and thats all right now. Sold my BTC back in Q1 and dumped it all into ETH as I felt it had a better utility moving forward. I still own a lot of Gold and Silver ETFs and miners but they have been awful the past year so I just keep buying to avg cost as I think everything going on with China will cause even more pressure globally on economies that Gold will rebound.
That said, I own a lot more ETH than my commodities positions as I think its a long term play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT