ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bitcoin, Altcoins, NFT's & All Things Crypto

Darkside finally gets a taste of its own medicine! However, what’s significant and relevant to this conversation is how Darkside’s digital wallets and crypto funds were emptied. If one of the biggest criminal cyber extortion syndicates can get hacked and their funds stolen, who’s going to protect the crypto world of the future?

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
Darkside finally gets a taste of its own medicine! However, what’s significant and relevant to this conversation is how Darkside’s digital wallets and crypto funds were emptied. If one of the biggest criminal cyber extortion syndicates can get hacked and their funds stolen, who’s going to protect the crypto world of the future?

Or, it's complete BS because they're trying to dodge the blowback

When the news reports say the cryptocurrency accounts were drained, aren’t the coins all traceable as a result of the blockchain?

Their servers got raided and seized. Accounts got drained

Their servers got raided and seized. Accounts got drained

Just for my own edification - couldn’t this happen to just about anyone? Is a digital wallet ever secure? If engineers and developers are smart enough to come up with this revolutionary technological innovation (I say that seriously) aren’t they also smart enough to create back doors and exploit vulnerabilities?

I had sold my position in Bitcoin two weeks ago and loaded up on ADA Cardano , looks like it was the right decision for now, it’s definitely a good time to buy more ETHEREUM as it will be taking off again soon in my opinion, Good Luck to all.

I loaded up on ADA as well. Good thing I did. Still holding some Bitcoin though.

I loaded up on ADA as well. Good thing I did. Still holding some Bitcoin though.
BTC
ETH
ADA
DOT

I think these are the big 4 in terms of safest bets. All have real world value and utility, especially ETH.

BTC
ETH
ADA
DOT

I think these are the big 4 in terms of safest bets. All have real world value and utility, especially ETH.

I'm fairly new to this, so I'm relying on a friend of mine who's been doing it for a while. He recommended ADA Cardano because of something along the lines of digital documents, peer reviewed, and the cost of mining is cheap. Sounded logical to me, so I got in when it was 1.13. Another one he recommended was Cosmos, but I haven't bought it yet. I'll have to check out DOT.

I'm fairly new to this, so I'm relying on a friend of mine who's been doing it for a while. He recommended ADA Cardano because of something along the lines of digital documents, peer reviewed, and the cost of mining is cheap. Sounded logical to me, so I got in when it was 1.13. Another one he recommended was Cosmos, but I haven't bought it yet. I'll have to check out DOT.
Cardano is a great play and similar to ETH (smart contracts, defi, programmable, etc.). However, with Cardano, you are buying potential whereas Ethereum is functional today. Cardano is trying to solve some of the ETH 1.0 problems, but the ETH community will be rolling out ETH 2.0 and Layer 2 solutions that address this as well.

Bottom line, there is plenty of room for more than one successful smart contract blockchain (perhaps 3-4). ADA's market cap is much lower than ETH right now, but it's a longer play.

Great stuff all around! :)

Reactions: Zimm80
BTC
ETH
ADA
DOT

I'm fairly new to this, so I'm relying on a friend of mine who's been doing it for a while. He recommended ADA Cardano because of something along the lines of digital documents, peer reviewed, and the cost of mining is cheap. Sounded logical to me, so I got in when it was 1.13. Another one he recommended was Cosmos

What's right with this guy:

Cuban? You have to be kidding me. At this point, Cuban and Musk need to go away and stop manipulating crypto. There are actually people on the other side of their nonsense getting crushed. Go check the Twitter-verse.

What
Cuban? You have to be kidding me. At this point, Cuban and Musk need to go away and stop manipulating crypto. There are actually people on the other side of their nonsense getting crushed. Go check the Twitter-verse.
Shaking off the ones with a weak grip.

What

Shaking off the ones with a weak grip.
+1
Need to be able to handle the volatility in the crypto market. Lots of chatter that the dump is partly about US tax day. The IRS is directly asking about cryptos and making exchanges send in 1099s (for 2020 and past years). Lots of crypto bills to pay. Ignore the FUD and buy the dip. 😁

Reactions: Zimm80
+1
Need to be able to handle the volatility in the crypto market. Lots of chatter that the dump is partly about US tax day. The IRS is directly asking about cryptos and making exchanges send in 1099s (for 2020 and past years). Lots of crypto bills to pay. Ignore the FUD and buy the dip. 😁
A couple more days of shaking the tree in crypto and stocks and it will be all clear.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
+1
And if you’re been making multiple transactions they all have to be documented and entered into the system, it adds up money wise and takes a good amount of time that could cause many to ask for extensions on there 2020 filing.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The bottom sure fell out of crypto over night. Anyone buying more or is this the start of a prolonged downward trend?
ETH, BTC both taking big hits... I’m also on VET which took a nose dive.

BTC back over $50k
ETH back over $4k
😁
BTC back under $40k
ETH back under $2.9K

will it bounce back, or is there more short term pain? A lot a volatility for a “store of value”. And as far as a currency, it’s use in criminal activity, like the recent pipeline company ransomware attack, is very questionable until there is complete transparency on transactions.

BTC back under $40k
ETH back under $2.9K

will it bounce back, or is there more short term pain? A lot a volatility for a “store of value”. And as far as a currency, it’s use in criminal activity, like the recent pipeline company ransomware attack, is very questionable until there is complete transparency on transactions.
Last bull run there were 5 pull backs of about 40%. For BTC, this is #2 for this bull run. This is the nature of the market.

Care to list all of the criminal activities using fiat money?

From someone I follow closely:

The crypto market has had a rough week, and the bears are coming out of hiding.

Since Elon Musk hosted an episode of Saturday Night Live on May 9 where he called Dogecoin a “hustle,” the crypto market has tumbled 20%.

This decline puts crypto in bear market territory based on the textbook definition.

But even after the recent selling, the crypto market is up 166% in 2021 alone. Can this really be considered a bear market?

The truth is, what you’re witnessing now is pure noise, and it’s hardly a bear market.

A PROFIT-TAKING PHASE

Musk has plenty of influence, no doubt about it.

And when he followed up his Dogecoin antics by criticizing bitcoin’s lack of decentralization just a week later, crypto critics were screaming: “I told you so.”

It’s understandable why the price of bitcoin reacted negatively to Musk’s comments, which, as my colleague Ian King mentioned, may have some merit.

But one billionaire bringing down the entire crypto market? That seems highly unlikely.

What you’re really seeing in the crypto markets is a profit-taking phase.

Prior to the recent selling, the crypto market cap had gained 1,200% since 2020.

total crypto market cap 2020

(Source: CoinMarketCap.)

In general, at the first sign of panic, short-term traders and investors with immediate financial obligations simultaneously sell their holdings to protect their gains.

But the chart clearly shows crypto’s long-term trend is higher. The recent weakness is a matter of market mechanics and doesn’t tell the story about the future of crypto.

THE SMART MONEY IS STILL HEAVILY INVESTED

Unless crypto becomes heavily regulated, further growth is inevitable.

“Its own biggest risk is its success,” famous hedge fund manager Ray Dalio said, suggesting crypto could become so big that governments view it as a threat to their own currencies.

Investors don’t seem to be too worried about regulatory risks, though, evidenced by record institutional fund flows pouring into the crypto market.

Institutional inflows have totaled $5.6 billion already this year, adding to the $6.8 billion inflow crypto saw in 2020.

Last week was the first net outflow in months. And at $50 million, it was a drop in the bucket.

weekly crypto asset flows chart

(Source: CoinShares.)

To put the irrelevance of last week’s outflow into perspective, it equated to just 0.08% of institutional assets under management.

So, the smart money is still heavily invested, and you should be too.

NOT ALL CRYPTOS WILL BE WINNERS

As you can see, the data suggests that the recent crypto sell-off is just another great buying opportunity for crypto investors.

But the majority of these gains will likely come from a select group of cryptos. Not all will be winners.

Last bull run there were 5 pull backs of about 40%. For BTC, this is #2 for this bull run. This is the nature of the market.

Yes, physical cash. All other transactions can, and are required to be tracked, by our banks. Even cash, to a certain extent, is tracked through CTR filings with FinCen. But you are correct, all currency is used for criminal activity, it’s just easier with crypto. Tax evasion is easier as well, and that “benefit” is slowly ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
From someone I follow closely:

The crypto market has had a rough week, and the bears are coming out of hiding.

Since Elon Musk hosted an episode of Saturday Night Live on May 9 where he called Dogecoin a “hustle,” the crypto market has tumbled 20%.

This decline puts crypto in bear market territory based on the textbook definition.

But even after the recent selling, the crypto market is up 166% in 2021 alone. Can this really be considered a bear market?

The truth is, what you’re witnessing now is pure noise, and it’s hardly a bear market.

A PROFIT-TAKING PHASE

Musk has plenty of influence, no doubt about it.

And when he followed up his Dogecoin antics by criticizing bitcoin’s lack of decentralization just a week later, crypto critics were screaming: “I told you so.”

It’s understandable why the price of bitcoin reacted negatively to Musk’s comments, which, as my colleague Ian King mentioned, may have some merit.

But one billionaire bringing down the entire crypto market? That seems highly unlikely.

What you’re really seeing in the crypto markets is a profit-taking phase.

Prior to the recent selling, the crypto market cap had gained 1,200% since 2020.

total crypto market cap 2020

(Source: CoinMarketCap.)

In general, at the first sign of panic, short-term traders and investors with immediate financial obligations simultaneously sell their holdings to protect their gains.

But the chart clearly shows crypto’s long-term trend is higher. The recent weakness is a matter of market mechanics and doesn’t tell the story about the future of crypto.

THE SMART MONEY IS STILL HEAVILY INVESTED

Unless crypto becomes heavily regulated, further growth is inevitable.

“Its own biggest risk is its success,” famous hedge fund manager Ray Dalio said, suggesting crypto could become so big that governments view it as a threat to their own currencies.

Investors don’t seem to be too worried about regulatory risks, though, evidenced by record institutional fund flows pouring into the crypto market.

Institutional inflows have totaled $5.6 billion already this year, adding to the $6.8 billion inflow crypto saw in 2020.

Last week was the first net outflow in months. And at $50 million, it was a drop in the bucket.

weekly crypto asset flows chart

(Source: CoinShares.)

To put the irrelevance of last week’s outflow into perspective, it equated to just 0.08% of institutional assets under management.

So, the smart money is still heavily invested, and you should be too.

NOT ALL CRYPTOS WILL BE WINNERS

As you can see, the data suggests that the recent crypto sell-off is just another great buying opportunity for crypto investors.

But the majority of these gains will likely come from a select group of cryptos. Not all will be winners.
I think the key phrase is “Unless crypto becomes heavily regulated”…did you see the China news last night which is contributing to the sell-off?

I think the key phrase is “Unless crypto becomes heavily regulated”…did you see the China news last night which is contributing to the sell-off?
Yes I did. Its a concern but unless there's a unified approach to regulation globally, I think its a blip.

Yes, physical cash. All other transactions can, and are required to be tracked, by our banks. Even cash, to a certain extent, is tracked through CTR filings with FinCen. But you are correct, all currency is used for criminal activity, it’s just easier with crypto. Tax evasion is easier as well, and the “benefit” is slowly ending.
Most of this dip is likely due to Monday being the tax filing deadline. The IRS is directly asking about cryptos and making Coinbase et al is issue 1099s (for 2020 and a few past years). Lots of folks needed to sell to cover these bills.

Yes I did. Its a concern but unless there's a unified approach to regulation globally, I think its a blip.
+1
Just a little blip. Some regulation of cryptos would be a good thing, especially the anti-money laundering regs. A lot of institutional money would jump in if there were more defined guardrails. Obviously, the gov can screw anything up, but in general, basics regs would give cryptos more credibility.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
We are all fooling ourselves if we think that governments, mainly the US and China, will allow the crypto world to run wild and evolve into the DeFi nirvana people talk about. It’s shocking that it’s continued for as long as it has. I don’t know if the world governments were/are holding out for the tax windfall…are afraid that taking a hardline could crash the markets…are secretly fighting behind the scenes…the whole situation is bizarre but doesn’t make sense. Why would US and China (in particular) let a bunch of developers/engineers run the Finance world?

We are all fooling ourselves if we think that governments, mainly the US and China, will allow the crypto world to run wild and evolve into the DeFi nirvana people talk about. It’s shocking that it’s continued for as long as it has. I don’t know if the world governments were/are holding out for the tax windfall…are afraid that taking a hardline could crash the markets…are secretly fighting behind the scenes…the whole situation is bizarre but doesn’t make sense. Why would US and China (in particular) let a bunch of developers/engineers run the Finance world?

Well now BTC at at about $32K, broke though the 40% drop (down 50% from high). I guess we got the answer to my question earlier today. And ETH down 50% in a week. Just on coinbase to check prices (don’t own any crypto, but follow it closely) and the site was down for maintenance.... uh oh!! Message is “we are having connection issues, your funds are safe”

Most of this dip is likely due to Monday being the tax filing deadline. The IRS is directly asking about cryptos and making Coinbase et al is issue 1099s (for 2020 and a few past years). Lots of folks needed to sell to cover these bills.
It’s more than taxes. 50 day moving average is closer to 1100. Long way to go before it gets there

It’s more than taxes. 50 day moving average is closer to 1100. Long way to go before it gets there
Sounds like China is basically telling folks the jig is up. I’ve heard speculation that China is signaling for its people to get out since the Chinese, especially miners, are in deep. This will be interesting. Definitely a gut check for many.

Well now BTC at at about $32K, broke though the 40% drop (down 50% from high). I guess we got the answer to my question earlier today. And ETH down 50% in a week. Just on coinbase to check prices (don’t own any crypto, but follow it closely) and the site was down for maintenance.... uh oh!! Message is “we are having connection issues, your funds are safe”
ETH down 50% in a week, but was up 50% the week before. I missed your post then. LOL!

Will save these posts to bump later.

Big drops happen in the crypto market, always have and likely always will (as least for the foreseeable future). Be patient, buy the dip and wait for the next bull run. It will happen way sooner than you think.

Reactions: RUinOhio
There is a chance to make a lot of gains if one was to buy CC now. The entire market is down. I think it is down from both the China news and Biden's capital gains tax plan.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Doesn’t today show how crazy it is for the athletes that decided they wanted to get paid in BTC? If their paycheck hit their bank account overnight did they wake up this morning with a much smaller payday?

Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT