ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Knight Has Passed

A legend of the game, truly one of the greatest .
RIP Coach Knight

chair throw GIF

Reactions: RU82
Never forget watching Knight at the Barn when he was coaching Army. The crowd really got on him and he reacted to us, but he always won. We thought he played dirty, but I realized later that it was really the aggressive defense for which he became famous. Living in Indiana 1976-77 and since 1981, had a lot of opportunity to share Hoosiers’ take on “The General.” Coming home from our annual trip to NJ in 1987, we walked in the door and switched on TV just in time to see the shot from Keith Smart that made Boeheim cry!

Probably wouldn't have lasted in today's environment but what a coach....

NSFW - language

A prime example of being able to get away with anything as long as you win.

Reactions: Kbee3
Never forget watching Knight at the Barn when he was coaching Army. The crowd really got on him and he reacted to us, but he always won. We thought he played dirty, but I realized later that it was really the aggressive defense for which he became famous. Living in Indiana 1976-77 and since 1981, had a lot of opportunity to share Hoosiers’ take on “The General.” Coming home from our annual trip to NJ in 1987, we walked in the door and switched on TV just in time to see the shot from Keith Smart that made Boeheim cry!
I believe that we beat Army 49-47 in 1968-69 season. I think that was when there was a major ruckus during the game.

A correction . Knight brought Army to the Barn 3 times. He lost the last 2 games, 47-49 in '69 and 40-76 in '71 to Coach Bill Foster..

The '69 game was one of the all-time Barn highlights replete with an on the court fist fight.

Both teams had players and coaches who would become known for larger roles.

For Army , Krzyzewski was a captain and played point. On the bench that night was Army football assistant, Bill Parcells.

For Rutgers- Assistant Coach Dick Lloyd, Freshman Coach Jim Valvano, Bob Graecen - NBA Milwaukee Bucks,
Dick Stewart- Head Coach Fordham, Lou Goetz-Head Coach Richmond, Bob Wenzel- Head Coach Rutgers
Chris Hill- Athletic Director & VP University of Utah

A correction . Knight brought Army to the Barn 3 times. He lost the last 2 games, 47-49 in '69 and 40-76 in '71 to Coach Bill Foster..

The '69 game was one of the all-time Barn highlights replete with an on the court fist fight.

Both teams had players and coaches who would become known for larger roles.

For Army , Krzyzewski was a captain and played point. On the bench that night was Army football assistant, Bill Parcells.

For Rutgers- Assistant Coach Dick Lloyd, Freshman Coach Jim Valvano, Bob Graecen - NBA Milwaukee Bucks,
Dick Stewart- Head Coach Fordham, Lou Goetz-Head Coach Richmond, Bob Wenzel- Head Coach Rutgers
Chris Hill- Athletic Director & VP University of Utah
Thanks for the friendly correction. I graduated in ‘68, so must have only seen one hard-fought loss against Knight!

Definitely a lightening rod coach - by most accounts seems like one of the smartest coaches to ever coach, and definitely demanded and got a lot out of his players. A lot of his players absolutely loved him, but there were others who were crushed by him - had to be a certain personality to play under him. And agree no way his way would fly today - he definitely walked the fine line of right and wrong, and no doubt crossed it at certain times. I think in the end he did more good than bad (and let's make no mistake he did bad). RIP to a true legend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT