ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Knight Dead at 83 after long illness...

There were a lot of abusive coaches in the 60s and 70s.
I think part of the reason was so many men being in the military.
Some guys could dump and vent on players under them under the cover of discipline and "what's good for them."

Remember Captain Herbert Sobel (David Schwimmer) in "Band of Brothers" and Lieutenant Commander "Captain" Morton (James Cagney) in "Mr Roberts"?
There were real people like that in miserable circumstances.

Knight was in the Army and was head coach at USMA from 65-71.
Back then hazing at West Point was not only allowed but was considered part of training.
Everybody could dump on everyone under them in a chain of ranks/classes.
I can imagine a volitile Knight coaching at Army and getting away with stuff.
Lombardi was another tyrant who- as he was dying of cancer - had remorse for the way he treated players.

There were others like Bear Bryant (Navy in WWII) and his "Junction Boys" abuse.
Woody Hayes was another volcano and he was Navy in WWII (commanded a PT Boat)
Of course there were good guys like Tom Landry who co-piloted a B-17 for 30 missions as a 20 yr old. I don't blame the military specifically - just that it allowed some people to take liberties and get bad habits

I had mostly good coaches in HS but it was a time you were not allowed to drink water during Augst two-a-days. That sort of thing was the "torture as good for you " vibe.
Coaches were very poor on teaching techniques but great at whistles/sprints, Oklahoma drills, "hit-its" and such. We had an assistant coach that would smack guys helmets and wrench their cages and he was a Nam paratrooper.

Speaking of hit-its (you jog and hit the ground on command) - I was made to do 100 of them at 2AM as a 16 year old at a summer football camp. Nobody could get away with that today

I thought this thread was about Bobby Knight?

He was incredibly polarizing to the game and not every player he coached has his allegiance. He knew basketball as well as anybody in the game, but his emotional outbursts tarnish his reputation.
Good riddance to the disrespectful clown.

My high school basketball team went to a week-long summer camp in the Poconos in the 1960’s. Our team‘s instructors/coaches were head coaches Bobby Knight (at Army) and Johnny Bach (at Fordham).
BTW, I should have mentioned, too, that Army head coach Bobby Knight was the guest speaker at the local banquet that celebrated our team’s championship.

Now do this chair!
EZw5_e1U0AAWKDw.png
My video editor told me my computer wasn't powerful enough to handle that.
laptop-smoking.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT