ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bobby Knight Dead at 83 after long illness...

Reactions: MADHAT1
Reactions: Scarlet1984
Wow - the passing of a legend. Controversial, yes, but a great coach.

giphy.gif

Too bad we didn’t get a shot against him in 1976 . We should have hired him in 2001.

Great coach , who did win the right way and made his kids be students.
The last coach to win Olympic gold with college players.

Rip
We sort of went nuts when a BB coach threw basketballs at his players - just saying.
And imagine the studies we would have from professors who got the same chairs thrown at them

Reactions: mdk01
He was a nasty piece of work. Should have gotten more than one good shot in the puss.

Eh. Always found him a little overrated.

Had the preseason #1 team and then lost the 1st game of the year to a team that was 14-15 the year before and playing 3 true freshman.

I’ve heard some say that in the long run his temperament probably caused him to get less out of more rather than the other way around.

Dean smith won two championships when a team called a TO with none remaining and another one when player passed the ball to the wrong team . Both in final game

Too bad we didn’t get a shot against him in 1976 . We should have hired him in 2001.

Great coach , who did win the right way and made his kids be students.
The last coach to win Olympic gold with college players.

Rip
He'll be the last US coach to ever win Olympic Gold with college players. College basketball coaching is not nearly at the level it was in the 70s and 80s. For all of the screaming and histrionics, from a pure X and O standpoint, he was one of the best coaches ever. RIP.

RIP to one of the best. Always enjoyed hearing him talk about the game. I could listen for hours with him talking about it.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
My high school basketball team went to a week-long summer camp in the Poconos in the 1960’s. Our team‘s instructors/coaches were head coaches Bobby Knight (at Army) and Johnny Bach (at Fordham).

My high school basketball team went to a week-long summer camp in the Poconos in the 1960’s. Our team‘s instructors/coaches were head coaches Bobby Knight (at Army) and Johnny Bach (at Fordham).

Did he throw a chair at you?

Did he throw a chair at you?
Our team went on to win a state championship. To answer your question — no. The guy was good. He was physically demanding and got your attention. He was a young guy in those days.

hmm. Wooden would argue that
As I mentioned it's hard to argue against Wooden. But he wins half of those titles with Abdul-Jabbar and Walton.
Granted Knight had Isiah in 1981 but the leading scorers on his other two championship teams were Steve Alford and Scott May. Both good players but no where in the same class with those UCLA guys.

RIP to a great basketball coach. In my opinion a very flawed man. John Wooden was the best in my opinion and a very decent, reasonable person as well.

I disagree with maybe the exception of Wooden. 10 NCAA championships is hard to argue with but look at the amount of talent he had at UCLA

hmm. Wooden would argue that

Wooden had a cheat code - literally - to have the best players at UCLA. Don’t know how you compare coaching when one program had such an advantage.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT