ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Breakdancing to be an Olympic sport in 2024

skip the breakdancing.. add Ninja Warrior courses. I'd watch that. Covers the previous suggestion of parkour as well.. sort of.

did not realize how much running they do.. it is constant.. far more than soccer. Played it once or twice casually but.. damn.. these guys are greyhounds. Is it a sport? go to 38:38 or so and see a play that resulted in a bad foul call... yeah.. its a sport.. one they need better refs for
At the highest levels of the sport (i.e. the club Nationals or World tournaments), you'll see some of the fittest athletes anywhere. People think hippies and dogs. But it's nothing like that at all. It's intensely high-speed, action-filled, with tons of incredibly athletic plays.

Many years back, a doctoral student in Phys Ed, having observed several college practices, decided to use an Ultimate team's players as part of his doctoral dissertation data gathering. The entire team did max stress tests with lots of sensors for data collection. For those not familiar with them, max stress tests start out with a slow walk on a treadmill, the pace increases every minute until running very quickly, and the treadmill increases the incline every minute until the person becomes fully exhausted and gives up.

The results turned out somewhat surprising in that all the players on the team but one, ~25 players in total, scored in the same range as top marathoners. And college is not nearly as high quality or high paced as club play (at the higher levels of the sport).

There have been debates about refs in the sport for decades. The rules for the sport dictate the mechanism by which conflicts are resolved by the players on the field. And the sport permits observers who can offer a perspective, but cannot override the players on the field. The lack of refs is something the sports organizing authorities have been unwilling to change, and is purportedly one of the issues that holds it back from becoming an Olympic sport (at least last time I checked). It's very popular all across the world and has been for decades.

The sport combines some of the most exciting aspects of Basketball, Football and Soccer. It's an amazing spectator sport, especially from a slightly elevated viewing position where one can observe the different tactical approaches used by the teams and get more of a 3D perspective on the flight of various throws.

Points can often run pretty long (10 minutes plus at times) and there are minimal timeouts per game which are usually reserved for critical points in games. There's no subbing permitted until a point is scored by one or the other team (except for injuries). So it's pretty exhausting at times.

There have been debates about refs in the sport for decades. The rules for the sport dictate the mechanism by which conflicts are resolved by the players on the field. And the sport permits observers who can offer a perspective, but cannot override the players on the field. The lack of refs is something the sports organizing authorities have been unwilling to change, and is purportedly one of the issues that holds it back from becoming an Olympic sport (at least last time I checked). It's very popular all across the world and has been for decades.
So my take on the play in question was that the American defender was playing the disc.. you see him checking back and up before he passes the Canadian and cuts to the right in front of him and gets hit by the Canadian who, imo, was playing the American.. not the disc... and after body-checking the American he then searched for the disk tot eh right but it was farther right out of his reach.

I am assuming seeking contact is not allowed and that the players should be playing the disc.. as an experienced fan/player.. am I right? How did you see that play? If I am "right".. it would piss me off to no end the players themselves have to come to that decision meaning the most adamant position wins. The advisors/watchers/green shirts were nuts... they could see where the disc ended up and how the Canadain barely was able to reach for it after making the sure the American went sprawling. American gave in because they had the lead... I think.. I cannot watch that if I will see a lot of that crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT