ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bryson DeChambeau

Guys who got huge:

Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, Gary Woodland, Jason Day, Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas...all gym rats. Maybe not Tiger now, but in his prime, he definitely was.

Only one doing it?? Do you follow golf?

He's currently 2nd in Driving Distance to Cameron Champ. He's 1 of 13 players who average 310-320. Rory's 7th, Bubba Watson 8th, and Adam Scott 13th. Driving accuracy is only 61.3% which after the Travelers puts him 109th out of 225 listed.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Bomb and gouge. Key to winning tournaments at this level. As long as drives aren't in serious trouble, better to be hitting a wedge into the green from the left rough than 7 iron from the fairway.

Bomb and gouge. Key to winning tournaments at this level. As long as drives aren't in serious trouble, better to be hitting a wedge into the green from the left rough than 7 iron from the fairway.

I'd say it depends on the course and Tourney. Better to be in the fairway at US Open type courses even if you're hitting 2 more clubs. Augusta not so much.

Reactions: bossnj1
Guys who got huge:

Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, Gary Woodland, Jason Day, Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas...all gym rats. Maybe not Tiger now, but in his prime, he definitely was.

I knew and played with Dustin when he was in college. He was always very big and athletic. Although has bulked up but to me he does not look abnormal.

Has anyone played more golf than Vijay Singh? Thought his arms would fall off by now. Still teeing it up on the tour at 57. Not making cuts, but not embarrassing himself out there with the youngsters.

Tiger so far has won 15 Majors in 84 starts (18 % win percentage)

Jack Nicklas won 18 Majors in 164 starts (11 %)

Walter Hagen won 11 Majors in 57 starts (19%)

Ben Hogan won 9 Majors in 58 starts ( 15 1/2 %)

Arnold Palmer won 7 Majors in 142 starts (5%)

Harry Varden won 7 Majors in 33 starts ( 21 % ! )

Palmer made it a real sport. So did Jack. Ben. Lee. Byron and certainly Bobby Jones!
No doubt they were all great golfers that were athletes. But they didn’t weed out the none athletes in the sport. Tiger retired those guys. He brought in this generation of golfers.

No doubt they were all great golfers that were athletes. But they didn’t weed out the none athletes in the sport. Tiger retired those guys. He brought in this generation of golfers.
Oh yes they weed them out. Jack started as a famously fat, chunky dude. Learned early that thin to win. Yes their was Stadler and the same but they were one hit wonders

Jack has the most majors. He’s the greatest that has ever played. Whoever holds that title is the best.

Oh yes they weed them out. Jack started as a famously fat, chunky dude. Learned early that thin to win. Yes their was Stadler and the same but they were one hit wonders
The greats all knew what it took to be great. But they were not the tides that brought up the game (at least not the same degree). Tiger’s biggest contribution to the game is TV rating and money. That’s how he brought in all the stars today.

The greats all knew what it took to be great. But they were not the tides that brought up the game (at least not the same degree). Tiger’s biggest contribution to the game is TV rating and money. That’s how he brought in all the stars today.
I don't know how old you are but Arnold in particular made golf a TV enterprise. Golf was considered a rich person's sport. But a long comes the next regular guy who captured the nation's interest and becomes a legend from humble beginnings. Yes Tiger brought many new eyes to the tube and bigger $$ but please don't discount the importance of Arnold and Jack. Without them both myself and Tiger may have never had the opportunity to play this great sport on a daily basis.

Thank you Tiger for turning it into a real sport.
Tiger came along just as the persimmon driver head was turning into metal. Now, you have NASA materials throughout the club, club heads the size of bricks, a ball that doesn't spin and if all that isn't enough, trackman and body sensors to direct the player on how to capture high velocity, square strikes consistently.

Hats off to Bryson for exploiting it all but to my eye, watching him drive the ball is ugly and a total bastardization of the game. If you tried to hit a balata with a persimmon driver that hard, it would go as far right as it did straight. The old game, the one played by early Tiger on back, required rhythm and exquisite timing. Now, its just swing speed. The equipment slots the speed and little can go wrong for a talented player who has worked the angles out on trackman.

Bryson has opened the door to a stampeding herd of lunging, thrashing work out ponies, who will be blowing their backs out in five years only to give way to heard right behind them. They hit wedge into par fives in two and knockdown sixty yarders into 430 yard par fours. Where's the sport in that? The pro game is officially ruined. Still love to play, though.

Tiger came along just as the persimmon driver head was turning into metal. Now, you have NASA materials throughout the club, club heads the size of bricks, a ball that doesn't spin and if all that isn't enough, trackman and body sensors to direct the player on how to capture high velocity, square strikes consistently.

Hats off to Bryson for exploiting it all but to my eye, watching him drive the ball is ugly and a total bastardization of the game. If you tried to hit a balata with a persimmon driver that hard, it would go as far right as it did straight. The old game, the one played by early Tiger on back, required rhythm and exquisite timing. Now, its just swing speed. The equipment slots the speed and little can go wrong for a talented player who has worked the angles out on trackman.

Bryson has opened the door to a stampeding herd of lunging, thrashing work out ponies, who will be blowing their backs out in five years only to give way to heard right behind them. They hit wedge into par fives in two and knockdown sixty yarders into 430 yard par fours. Where's the sport in that? The pro game is officially ruined. Still love to play, though.
To me, the analytics of golf are equal to the analytics of baseball. Either you love the long ball or you long for more strategy.

@chase07470

I think you are not giving Bryson enough credit here. Everything about equipment and technology is true but available to everyone. Not everyone can swing as fast or swing it fast and square up the club. I think he has brought excitement back to the game and the sport will benefit from it. I’m not sure he’ll win more because of the distance gain. So, not sure it’ll be copied as much.

That last group will be interesting, Kirk is not a long hitter. He will be 50-70 yds back from Bryson. That can’t be good for the psyche.

edit: Bryson is not in the last group.

Last edited:

If you don't think that hitting the ball the way he does requires exquisite timing and rhythm, your crazy. Take a modern driver, swing it as hard as you possibly can and see if you can keep it on the planet. Speed is a skill. Harnessing that speed and keeping it under control is a skill.

If you don't think that hitting the ball the way he does requires exquisite timing and rhythm, your crazy. Take a modern driver, swing it as hard as you possibly can and see if you can keep it on the planet. Speed is a skill. Harnessing that speed and keeping it under control is a skill.
I personally think that his one length for all irons system allows him to be more consistent. Other golfers have to adjust for all the different club lengths but he only has to deal with one from driver to iron.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I personally think that his one length for all irons system allows him to be more consistent. Other golfers have to adjust for all the different club lengths but he only has to deal with one from driver to iron.
I love this guy. He’s constantly considering different ways to try to win, doesn’t accept anything without analyzing it, and doesn’t care if anyone else thinks it stupid if he believes in it. It’s fun to follow him.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Bryson says during yesterday’s post round interview that he plans to take his driving game to a higher level when he gets the long ball more consistently in the fairway. He also says that he can improve his wedge game going forward. He is a major contender to win every time he tees it up imo.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ssic-leaderboard-round-3-pga-tour/5368132002/

A better wedge game and he'd have won already since the restart. Just too many WTF appraoches to the green.

OK Tiger's Mom.

To me, the analytics of golf are equal to the analytics of baseball. Either you love the long ball or you long for more strategy.

Would not mind the pro's playing with distance reduced balls. This is getting ridiculous.

They aren't even playing the same game as us anymore.

Reactions: ScarletNut

I have to believe he's carrying another wood in the bag. So there should be at least one more shaft length in there.

I love this guy. He’s constantly considering different ways to try to win, doesn’t accept anything without analyzing it, and doesn’t care if anyone else thinks it stupid if he believes in it. It’s fun to follow him.

Yep- it's always interesting to see what he tries next.

It’s definitely not all muscle but it’s still an absurd amount of weight he’s put on the past year. Even more absurd is that he’s done pretty well this season, but like Class said he’ll probably experience some injury issues down the road if he keeps this up long term.

th
th

slippery slope from where Bryson is this young and gaining so much weight in such a short time.

yes he's playing well.

he played well before too, and had even better stretches than now, even if not as long.

his swing isn't as dependent on range of motion as most others, but i still see loss of range of motion as something he needs to be careful about, especially since both weight gain and loss of range of motion are issue getting older.

range of motion is much of what separates most golf pros from other good athletes. (Rory possibly has the most).

Brooks Koepka has freakish range of motion for that body type, which is his secret to success.

that said, i'll predict Bryson has a lower playing weight next yr.

Would not mind the pro's playing with distance reduced balls. This is getting ridiculous.

They aren't even playing the same game as us anymore.
That applies to all pro sports. That’s why they do it for a living.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT