ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bryson DeChambeau

That applies to all pro sports. That’s why they do it for a living.

Not really. No amateur hits a 9I as a second (and approach) shot to most any par five.

In baseball, football, basketball the opponents are playing against a D roughly at the same level making the game play the same for all levels.

Pro golfers for 25 years now rarely are forced to take the shots on the course most amateurs are.

If you don't see that either you're not a golfer or you're not seeing the point.

Not really. No amateur hits a 9I as a second (and approach) shot to most any par five.

In baseball, football, basketball the opponents are playing against a D roughly at the same level making the game play the same for all levels.

Pro golfers for 25 years now rarely are forced to take the shots on the course most amateurs are.

If you don't see that either you're not a golfer or you're not seeing the point.
I don’t understand your point. You point to competition as an example for other sports. There are plenty of tour pros that have length. Maybe not driver 9i but driver 7i. Pros are not supposed to take shots that amateurs have. That’s what makes it fun to watch. I’m not paying to see guys hit it to the parking lot, punching out or laying up. I want to see bombs off the tee and sweeping shape shots around trees. I want to be entertained.

Reactions: RUevolution36
I don't care about long drives. What I like to watch is their mastery around the greens.

As I heard Fred Couples say that's what the public never sees, the hours upon hours they spend practicing around the green.

Reactions: bossnj1
Bryson running hot?

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/br...onts-cameraman-potentially-damaging-his-brand

DeChambeau fired his club angrily into the sand shortly after impact, and he ultimately made bogey. While he described his reaction to the shot as “dumb,” he took issue with the cameraman subsequently following him closely as he approached the green and marked his ball.

“He was literally watching me the whole entire way up after getting out of the bunker, walking up next to the green. And I just was like, ‘Sir, what is the need to watch me that long?’” DeChambeau said. “I mean, I understand it’s his job to video me, but at the same point, I think we need to start protecting our players out here compared to showing a potential vulnerability and hurting someone’s image. I just don’t think that’s necessarily the right thing to do.”

Bryson running hot?

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/br...onts-cameraman-potentially-damaging-his-brand

DeChambeau fired his club angrily into the sand shortly after impact, and he ultimately made bogey. While he described his reaction to the shot as “dumb,” he took issue with the cameraman subsequently following him closely as he approached the green and marked his ball.

“He was literally watching me the whole entire way up after getting out of the bunker, walking up next to the green. And I just was like, ‘Sir, what is the need to watch me that long?’” DeChambeau said. “I mean, I understand it’s his job to video me, but at the same point, I think we need to start protecting our players out here compared to showing a potential vulnerability and hurting someone’s image. I just don’t think that’s necessarily the right thing to do.”
Roid rage?

He’s always run hot. Though running hot in golf is a little different than running hot in say, football.

Bryson running hot?

This is his primary issue right now and the difference between a bunch of T10 finishes versus a few Ws. Between the ears and a temper that runs hot and carries over into the next few shots. Not the first guy who has to figure that out, especially in golf. The mad scientist could use a little help from a sports psychiatrist.

Reactions: bossnj1
. . . As I heard Fred Couples say that's what the public never sees, the hours upon hours they spend practicing around the green.
I don’t see them practicing their drives much either. Frankly, for whatever practice I do see, I see guys on the putting greens at least as much as on the range. And only part of the time spent on the range is spent driving the ball.

As far as the tournament itself, TV coverage generally shows everything, from tee to green. In fact, if it has to skip anything, it’s the drive. It never skips the play around and on the green. It can’t.

I don’t see them practicing their drives much either. Frankly, for whatever practice I do see, I see guys on the putting greens at least as much as on the range. And only part of the time spent on the range is spent driving the ball.

As far as the tournament itself, TV coverage generally shows everything, from tee to green. In fact, if it has to skip anything, it’s the drive. It never skips the play around and on the green. It can’t.

He wasn't talking about on the range before a round. He was talking overall. He said regular golfers should spend more of their time practicing around the green than spending most on the range.

He wasn't talking about on the range before a round. He was talking overall. He said regular golfers should spend more of their time practicing around the green than spending most on the range.
A lot of these guys spend as much time, if not more, in the gym vs on the range

Com’on Wolf!!! Don’t give it away. Still a chance so keep grinding

Wolfe had a chance to put some heat on him the last 4-5 holes but lipped a few.

18 was a thing of beauty for DeChambeau. Like it when the winner doesn't back in or have a ho-hum finish.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Wolfe had a chance to put some heat on him the last 4-5 holes but lipped a few.

18 was a thing of beauty for DeChambeau. Like it when the winner doesn't back in or have a ho-hum finish.
If he works his wedge game out like he has with his putter and driver, no one is going to stop him. This is a monumental shift. Dude hit a 238 yard 8 iron lol.

Reactions: oncampus
Feel free to make a different point now.

But your post addressed your preference for watching the professionals’ mastery around the greens, not their long drives, and quoted Fred Couples noting that the public doesn’t see how much the professionals work on their short game. My reply was dead responsive.

if you’d like to change the discussion and talk about the play of amateurs, how they can prepare better, and how the Fred Couple quote was made in a different context than the one in which you used it, have at it.

Pretty dominating performance by Bryson.

He is the top player in the world right now imo.
I’d say so too. He’s intimidating other players now, almost forcing them to do what they can’t.

This wasn’t even his A game. Those wedges get better and it’s lights out for the other players.

I also think he’s probably the best player in the world right now.

That said, I just don’t like the guy and find myself rooting against him. But I respect his different approach to the game and finding a new way to compete and win. But yeah, really unlikeable.

Wolf had a bad day putting. Bryson had no threat the last few holes, so little pressure. . This tourney was basically a JV field, get's a lot tougher the next 2 weeks. But he is playing well and fun to watch him swing so hard and crush the ball. I also like his homage to Paine Stewart with the hat and attitude. Would love to see him rock some knicker soon. Going forward him and Koepka would be a great rivalry .

I’d say so too. He’s intimidating other players now, almost forcing them to do what they can’t.

This wasn’t even his A game. Those wedges get better and it’s lights out for the other players.
He was never a great wedge player. A game is your best, not what you hope to be. Big difference. I think he’ll be on the 1st page of the leader board often but won’t win often because it all comes down to feet of putts made.

I’m starting my lat pull downs tomorrow.

Drive for Show, Putt for Dough.

He was never a great wedge player. A game is your best, not what you hope to be. Big difference. I think he’ll be on the 1st page of the leader board often but won’t win often because it all comes down to feet of putts made.

I’m starting my lat pull downs tomorrow.
I think he will be on the "missing tournament x due to injury board" often.

Back issue from childhood, massive weight gain, massive swing speed, ...this isn't complicated.

He is must-watch TV right now but I'm enjoying it while I can.

For anyone wondering about is BD the best player in the world right now. Here are his last 7 starts...hard to argue that he is not the best player over the last 5 months. If he improves his wedge game lookout.

T5
T3
T6
T8

Reactions: Caliknight
Feel free to make a different point now.

But your post addressed your preference for watching the professionals’ mastery around the greens, not their long drives, and quoted Fred Couples noting that the public doesn’t see how much the professionals work on their short game. My reply was dead responsive.

if you’d like to change the discussion and talk about the play of amateurs, how they can prepare better, and how the Fred Couple quote was made in a different context than the one in which you used it, have at it.

I told you what Fred said about practice. If you have a problem with it talk to him.

No I don't feel I needs to make a different point. DeChambeau's short game is not near the top 75 on tour. He's hitting 100 yard shots 30,40,50 feet from the cup as often as he hits them close

Faldo said it and Trevor Immelman said it. He needs to work on his short game.

Now if you think you know more about what it takes then Couples, Faldo, and Immelman, you have at it.

Drive for Show, Putt for Dough.
"At Detroit Golf Club, it turned out his driver wasn’t DeChambeau’s most valuable club—which should be a cringeworthy thought for every other golfer on the PGA Tour. Yes, Brawny Bryson led the field in strokes gained/off the tee (6.672 cumulative) with a driving distance average of 350.6 yards. But arguably more impressive was the fact he picked up 7.831 strokes gained with his putter over 72 holes, including 2.62 on Sunday. DeChambeau wound up leading the field in that category, too, which led to this gem of a stat from the PGA Tour."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/br...tour-winner-has-ever-done-in-the-shotlink-era

It’s silly yo think he can’t get better at the wedge game. Many players often get better at weaknesses. He will do the same. It’s the obvious glaring hole in otherwise ridiculous game right now.

He’s probably working on it right now. My guess is he either changes shafts to something with even a little flex or he goes to shorter shafts in those clubs.

There is no question he will get better there. The question is how much better.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/lee-trevino-wedge-most-important-part

I happen to agree with Lee. When Dustin Johnson worked on his wedge game a few years back he went from a very good player to world #1. During that time he never was much of a putter but he was #1 on tour with a wedge and one of the best drivers as always. Wedge, Driver, Putter

I could be convinced of that. I've seen some improvement in my short game and it's taken pressure of other parts - putting for one.

Improvements in putting are primarily impacted by approach and short game. Proximity to hole is the most important component to improving putting. If you're knocking it to 10 ft instead of 20 ft, you're total putts should go down, even with no actual improvements in the putting stroke, green reading, etc.

Reactions: Terry_2426
I don't think he is juiced. There is no way In hell a juiced golfer can hit keep 400-yard drives on narrow fairways and putt on glass surface on the PGA tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT