ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bryson DeChambeau

BD, like Bubba and Moe Norman before them, is on the spectrum. Played with a college teammate of his for two years at SMU, said he didn't have a single friend, not just on the team but in the whole school. Also said no one thought he was very smart, struggled in school, never graduated.

He recently made a weird video that he produced. Looks like he still has no friends. I kind of feel for the guy. He's incredibly awkward socially and that can't be easy. Rather root for him than king jocko Koepka. I just hate watching that long drive technique swing. I long for the days when little Corey Pavin was out there winning the US Open at Shinnecock slinging it 250 off the tee and playing the course as William Flynn intended it to be played. Not muscle heads blowing it over everything and into the area designed to catch missed APPROACH shots. Its stupid.

Reduce the ball for the pros.

Bryson's Loner Bentley Video:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBSxnnvDMxb/?utm_source=ig_embed

For people that don’t want to see the long ball, there is the LPGA. I remember poor Corey Pavin had to aim for mowed walk ways through the waste area because he couldn’t carry It.

BD, like Bubba and Moe Norman before them, is on the spectrum. Played with a college teammate of his for two years at SMU, said he didn't have a single friend, not just on the team but in the whole school. Also said no one thought he was very smart, struggled in school, never graduated.

He recently made a weird video that he produced. Looks like he still has no friends. I kind of feel for the guy. He's incredibly awkward socially and that can't be easy. Rather root for him than king jocko Koepka. I just hate watching that long drive technique swing. I long for the days when little Corey Pavin was out there winning the US Open at Shinnecock slinging it 250 off the tee and playing the course as William Flynn intended it to be played. Not muscle heads blowing it over everything and into the area designed to catch missed APPROACH shots. Its stupid.

i believe it was Justin Leonard who i saw in a long interview/playing lesson.

he said with the old equipment the bombers would out drive him 20-25 yrds, which he could compete with.

with the modern ball and drivers, those same bombers were 40-50 yds in front of him off the tee.

point being, while the modern equipment makes everyone longer, it makes the bombers disproportionately more so.

that said, while all discussion is on BD's bulk up, i also notice he's going after it a lot harder as well.

he isn't just hitting it further with the same effort due to his new body and weight.

he's putting noticeably more effort into it as well. (think Happy Gilmore).

no idea how much of the new distance is the added muscle and 40 lbs, and how much is just going after it noticeably harder.

i believe it was Justin Leonard who i saw in a long interview/playing lesson.

he said with the old equipment the bombers would out drive him 20-25 yrds, which he could compete with.

with the modern ball and drivers, those same bombers were 40-50 yds in front of him off the tee.

point being, while the modern equipment makes everyone longer, it makes the bombers disproportionately more so.

that said, while all discussion is on BD's bulk up, i also notice he's going after it a lot harder as well.

he isn't just hitting it further with the same effort due to his new body and weight.

he's putting noticeably more effort into it as well. (think Happy Gilmore).

no idea how much of the new distance is the added muscle and 40 lbs, and how much is just going after it noticeably harder.
That's other there thing, trackman. Bryson swing now takes much from the techniques used in long drive competition. Used to take years to change your swing and you risked losing what got you there to begin with and never finding it again. With Trackman, you know instantly, on every swing, what was wrong and how to fix it. He did it in an offseason. Incredible.

For anyone not getting it, golf was always a sport where there were more than one way to be a top player. You had scramblers, you had little guys who were straight as can be, you had bombers, you had putters and it was like watching a boxing match between two dozen people as they applied there skills against the course and each other. Brilliant.

There is no question Bryson will be copied and soon we will be in a world where ONLY bigger to huge guys with natural swing speed tuned up on trackman, will be able to compete. There will never be another Seve with the wedges, a Ray Floyd with the irons, little Ben Crenshaw with the putter. You will watch who among the big bombers can do the other stuff best, not who on the planet does the other stuff best. Why would you set the game up like that? Eliminate all of the top skilled and talented players? Because you like too watch guys bomb it? Greg Norman bombed it. Jack bombed it. And it was even better back then because the ball had spin so the bomber was required to be A LOT MORE PRECISE. If he wasn't tuned up, he wasn't going to be competitive that week, period.

I'll say it, its easy to hit playable shots with a driver, now. It used to he hard. If you didn't play with a persimmon driver pre 1991ish, you wouldn't know that. Even as the driver got bigger, it was still pretty hard because the ball still had spin. Now its a joke, easiest club in the bag to hit a playable shot...for the pros and for us as well. Courses were built with wider landing areas to receive tee shots. If you can't hit those spots with a ball that doesn't spin 80-90% of the time, you need to play and practice a bit more.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
@chase07470

you make a lot of good points. The most important one is that kids will be taught to swing out of their shoes from the start and learn early on. It’s like the NFL, can’t play the skill positions unless you can run under a 4.5 40 now.

the only part I disagree with you is that a it still comes down to the short game. Courses are not getting longer. Very little difference for PGA pros if the approach is 60 yds vs 110 yds.

You clearly are not a fan of BD. Understandable that he didn’t graduate from SMU when his senior golf season was cancelled.

“DeChambeau was unable to defend his NCAA title in 2016 after the SMU athletic department was handed a postseason ban by the NCAA.[5] He decided to forgo his senior season to play in a number of events before turning professional.[6]

You clearly are not a fan of BD. Understandable that he didn’t graduate from SMU when his senior golf season was cancelled.

“DeChambeau was unable to defend his NCAA title in 2016 after the SMU athletic department was handed a postseason ban by the NCAA.[5] He decided to forgo his senior season to play in a number of events before turning professional.[6]
I was just relating what I learned about him from a teammate. Said he failed all his classes, basically. That he was shocked he was able to pass himself off as some sort of genius.

Obviously, that kid was wrong about the genius part. He's found a way, in a game that was pretty set in its ways, to innovate to an incredible degree, in more than a couple of ways.

But the guy is a bit nuts, too. Who has no friends? Ignores the social and professional pressure to play faster or at least try? Tells a camera guy off for doing his job and then shares it with the media?

I was just relating what I learned about him from a teammate. Said he failed all his classes, basically. That he was shocked he was able to pass himself off as some sort of genius.

Obviously, that kid was wrong about the genius part. He's found a way, in a game that was pretty set in its ways, to innovate to an incredible degree, in more than a couple of ways.

But the guy is a bit nuts, too. Who has no friends? Ignores the social and professional pressure to play faster or at least try? Tells a camera guy off for doing his job and then shares it with the media?
Calling BS on the no friends. He shot that IBM commercial at a place in NJ where we were spending the weekend. He had a crew of friends with him having a good time.

Failed all his classes?? The person who told you that most likely wasn't a teammate. Bryson has a Physics Degree from SMU!

BD at it again, lol

Bryson DeChambeau's fire ants claim doesn't fly with official at WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29566735/bryson-dechambeau-fire-ants-claim-fly-official

i watched the whole thing yesterday, and BD wasn't going to let it go easily.

claimed there was an animal hole because a fire ant crawled out of the ground.

that ants aren't animals, or that there was no "hole" bigger than an ant, or that the fact it was several feet from his ball or stance, didn't seem to matter.

marshal keep saying no, BD wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

the marshal showed great restraint in not telling him to quit being beyond ridiculous, and just hit it where it lies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT