ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caribbean vacation spot where they leave you alone

St. John, USVI is the best. Rent a villa and a jeep to go to some of the best beaches in the Caribbean. My favorites are: Cinnamon Bay (left side of the beach when facing the sea); Honeymoon Bay (park at Caneel Bay and take a short hike on the road on your left to this beautiful secluded beach or take a long hike from the National Park Visitor's Center); Solomon Bay (Ultra-secluded since it is only approachable by hiking or boat); Trunk Bay (aftet 4 PM, it is deserted and the sunsets are srunning): Oppenheimer Beach (parking for two cars by the road at the gate to the house, the chaances are high that no one will be at this pristine beach with a house formerly owned by the famous scientist). The North Shore beaches are the best but visit the East End for the stunning views and their bars with live blues music.
My wife and I honeymooned on St. John and have returned 5 more times in the past 10 years. Next Feb, our daughter will finally be old enough to go! You did a great job describing what is special about the island. Even during the "peak" months, you can make the island your own. There's always more to explore, always a few more steps you can take and feel completely alone. We stay at the Westin villas, but go to Caneel Bay a lot, and walk over to Honeymoon Beach. We also love Maho Bay, it's so calm and amazing for little children. One thing we also recommend is taking a boat charter to Waterlemon Cay or Leinster Bay for snorkeling (one of the best places in the world to do so). And while on the boat, check out the BVIs - Jost is a blast with Foxy and there are several little uninhabited islands that you can visit that make you really feel like the only people in the world.

Last edited:
Caneel Bay in St. John.
My wife and I honeymooned there 26 years ago. Another off the beaten vacation to consider is a sailing cruise. When our children were small we chartered a boat with a captain and mate to take us around the Grenadine Islands for a Christmas/New Year cruise. We flew into Grenada and started our trip from the nearby island of Cariacou. Each day we visited a different island in the chain. Great recreation and a relaxing trip. Fished for lunch every day and ate at local restaurants for dinner. Probably one of the best vacations we took and the price was less than a stay at a resort hotel.

Atlantis is my all time favorite. No one bothers you and the employees are very nice. Stay at The Cove if you really want seclusion. I have teenage kids so we stayed at The Royal Towers which had all the activities for them.

Im a huge fan of Atlantis but unless you dont step foot off the resort you will get hounded. One of the public beaches is practically on the property.

I second Cap Jaluca. Anguilla is not inexpensive though. Get a balcony room in 15 or 16 if available. No need to get the room with the pool unless you want to sunbathe in the buff.

Cap Jaluca is a great choice on an outstanding island. I would also very highly recommend Anguilla's other premier resort, the Hotel Malliouhana.

My wife and I honeymooned on St. John and have returned 5 more times in the past 10 years. Next Feb, our daughter will finally be old enough to go! You did a great job describing what is special about the island. Even during the "peak" months, you can make the island your own. There's always more to explore, always a few more steps you can take and feel completed alone. We stay at the Westin villas, but go to Caneel Bay a lot, and walk over to Honeymoon Beach. We also love Maho Bay, it's so calm and amazing for little children. One thing we also recommend is taking a boat charter to Waterlemon Cay or Leinster Bay for snorkeling (one of the best places in the world to do so). And while on the boat, check out the BVIs - Jost is a blast with Foxy and there are several little uninhabited islands that you can visit that make you really feel like the only people in the world.

What a coincidence! The very first time we went to St. John was for our honeymoon at the then opened Virgin Grand that later was purchased by Westin. We returned 11 more times and we even became friends with somepeople who have been living there for decades. You right about Maho Bay being perfect for children and Leichster Bay great for snorkeling. Be aware of the strong current that pulls you out to the sea. Once, it took us some serios effort to get out. Never swim against the current but get back to the beach gradually in an angle. Thersdays and Fridays there are boat services to Vitgin Gorda, BVI where you could experience the famous Baths, a system of naturally created rock-formed caves that ends at Devils Bay with a stunning view and pristine water. The boat leaves at 8 am and leaves from Virgin Gorda at 3 pm.

My wife and I honeymooned on St. John and have returned 5 more times in the past 10 years. Next Feb, our daughter will finally be old enough to go! You did a great job describing what is special about the island. Even during the "peak" months, you can make the island your own. There's always more to explore, always a few more steps you can take and feel completely alone. We stay at the Westin villas, but go to Caneel Bay a lot, and walk over to Honeymoon Beach. We also love Maho Bay, it's so calm and amazing for little children. One thing we also recommend is taking a boat charter to Waterlemon Cay or Leinster Bay for snorkeling (one of the best places in the world to do so). And while on the boat, check out the BVIs - Jost is a blast with Foxy and there are several little uninhabited islands that you can visit that make you really feel like the only people in the world.
I've stayed at Caneel Bay several times--great resort on a delightful island. We can thank Laurence Rockefeller for that..

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I've stayed at Caneel Bay several times--great resort on a delightful island. We can thank Laurence Rockefeller for that..
Yes, Rockerfeller is the man - for the resort and the island itself (and the national park).

What a coincidence! The very first time we went to St. John was for our honeymoon at the then opened Virgin Grand that later was purchased by Westin. We returned 11 more times and we even became friends with somepeople who have been living there for decades. You right about Maho Bay being perfect for children and Leichster Bay great for snorkeling. Be aware of the strong current that pulls you out to the sea. Once, it took us some serios effort to get out. Never swim against the current but get back to the beach gradually in an angle. Thersdays and Fridays there are boat services to Vitgin Gorda, BVI where you could experience the famous Baths, a system of naturally created rock-formed caves that ends at Devils Bay with a stunning view and pristine water. The boat leaves at 8 am and leaves from Virgin Gorda at 3 pm.
Great stuff, do you know about the "St. John Condos" website, private rentals of the Westin Villa timeshares, we use this for every vacation:

http://www.stjohncondos.com/

We haven't been to the island since Feb 2013, but we heard of a lot of great changes at the resort.

We only snorkel at Leinster Bay/Waterlemon Cay via a boat, much easier! What are your favorite restaurants? We have traveled around the island quite a bit, but never to the East End. On our last trip, we finally got down to Salt Pond Bay.

This, absolutely beautiful with 7 private beaches
One of my favorite all time vacation spots. Gallows Point near Cruz Bay are private Villa, no one will even know you're there. You can walk to town and there's a sunset bar in the complex. Try the beach at the base of Rams Head near Coral Bay. You'll be lucky if you see a goat or 2 roaming about.

Last edited:
Reactions: miklosru
St. John, USVI is the best. Rent a villa and a jeep to go to some of the best beaches in the Caribbean. My favorites are: Cinnamon Bay (left side of the beach when facing the sea); Honeymoon Bay (park at Caneel Bay and take a short hike on the road on your left to this beautiful secluded beach or take a long hike from the National Park Visitor's Center); Solomon Bay (Ultra-secluded since it is only approachable by hiking or boat); Trunk Bay (aftet 4 PM, it is deserted and the sunsets are srunning): Oppenheimer Beach (parking for two cars by the road at the gate to the house, the chaances are high that no one will be at this pristine beach with a house formerly owned by the famous scientist). The North Shore beaches are the best but visit the East End for the stunning views and their bars with live blues music.

FYI, Solomon Beach used to be a nude beach...and most of the people there shouldn't be nude..

Oculus-Rift-Inside.jpg

Grand Cayman hands down. Was there for 12 nights in my honeymoon and was absolutely amazing. Never saw a peddler/beggar and we rented a car and drove the entire island multiple times.

Cali - Have you even been to the BVI's? In particular Virgin Gorda or Peter Island? I did a day trip to VG once (from St John) and have spent a lot of time on Jost and Tortola.

Ah, love the BVI. Probably have spent too much time and money at Foxy's Beach Bar on Jost Van Dyke over the years, and threw back WAAAY too many Painkillers at The Soggy Dollar Bar.

And for the beauty of it, I can't imagine a more beautiful beach setting than the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Voted one of the top 10 most Beautiful beaches in the world by both Frommers and National Geographic. If anyone has been there, they'll chime and agree.

Best resort I've ever been too, was the week I spent at the Peter Island Resort. I knew it would be amazing when reaching the dock, they had someone there to meet us with a Peter Island Ginger Lemonade with fresh ginger, spice rum, and handmade lemonade. Amazing. What a great place if you don't want to do anything but relax, swim, and dine on great food and spirits.

I just love the British Virgin Islands. My next trip will be a stay at Scrubb Island Resort. I had lunch there once on a day excursion trip....and think this might be the one resort that could maybe top Peter Island Resort in beauty.

Kamalame Cay - Andros Island in the Bahamas. Awesome, private, relaxing...

Ah, love the BVI. Probably have spent too much time and money at Foxy's Beach Bar on Jost Van Dyke over the years, and threw back WAAAY too many Painkillers at The Soggy Dollar Bar.

And for the beauty of it, I can't imagine a more beautiful beach setting than the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Voted one of the top 10 most Beautiful beaches in the world by both Frommers and National Geographic. If anyone has been there, they'll chime and agree.

Best resort I've ever been too, was the week I spent at the Peter Island Resort. I knew it would be amazing when reaching the dock, they had someone there to meet us with a Peter Island Ginger Lemonade with fresh ginger, spice rum, and handmade lemonade. Amazing. What a great place if you don't want to do anything but relax, swim, and dine on great food and spirits.

I just love the British Virgin Islands. My next trip will be a stay at Scrubb Island Resort. I had lunch there once on a day excursion trip....and think this might be the one resort that could maybe top Peter Island Resort in beauty.

I'm in agreement with you. I've been to St John more than 20 times & it's great. If you have children the Westin is much better than Caneel. Personally, I prefer Jost Van Dyke in the BVI with Foxys, Ivans, Soggy Dollar Bar, Sidney's, & other places being good hangouts. White Bay beach is great & White Bay Villas overlooking the beach give you great privacy. Only about 200 people live on the island. No traffic, very few cars on the island. I'd guess less than 100.

St. John is great. We also spent our honeymoon there. Past 4 years we have been going to couples negril in Jamaica. They have a 60 % annual return rate. They only have 235 rooms. Great place to consider. Just booked again for next year. Couples has 4 resorts in jamaica the other 3 are 5 star and negril is 4.5 stars but in my opinion you couldn't find a better place to go. Although I do love st john as well.

St. John is great. We also spent our honeymoon there. Past 4 years we have been going to couples negril in Jamaica. They have a 60 % annual return rate. They only have 235 rooms. Great place to consider. Just booked again for next year. Couples has 4 resorts in jamaica the other 3 are 5 star and negril is 4.5 stars but in my opinion you couldn't find a better place to go. Although I do love st john as well.

Couples is the place we finally settled on after we decided to ditch Hedonism. I don't know about that whole 4/5 star ratings thing, but I've had a blast every time I've been there, particularly at the swim-up bar. That's where we'll be headed in November.

Cap Jaluca is a great choice on an outstanding island. I would also very highly recommend Anguilla's other premier resort, the Hotel Malliouhana.

I also honeymooned at Cap Juluca and it was excellent. Definitely no worry about being bothered by anyone. But not something I can afford to do on anything near a regular basis (although our upcoming week trip to Disney will cost me). But definitely would like to get back to Anguilla at some point.

Last edited:
Just booked the fountain Bleu for easter weekend, and las casitas village at the el conquistador for early june....

Last summer we went to Bermuda, Cambridge Beaches, stayed in the Pegem Cottage (300 yrs old) that is worth a look if you have a large family. Its 2100'sq ft with a dining room that can seat 12 easily and full kitchen. Team Oracle will headquarter in the cottage for the Americas cup next summer.

Last edited:
Looking to book my next vacation and needed some help. I went to Cancun last month and although the resort was nice and weather was good I hated the people, I was hounded the second I got off the plane until the minute I left by locals trying to sell you something. It really ruined the trip. Never again. When I went to Aruba last year for my honeymoon we had none of that. It was great. So what I'm looking for is another Caribbean spot like Aruba where I can enjoy the beach/resort/local scene without being harassed every second by locals to buy something.
I will second a previous poster who mentioned Cap Jaluca in Anguila...you want privacy, if you are willing to pay $500 a night it's as private as you can get

St John - Caneel Bay or the Westin (villa section). And the island itself is very laid back. There are tons of beaches and absolutely none of them have a solicitation component (even the very popular Trunk Bay is devoid of that stuff).
St. John is about as good and beautiful as it gets in the Carribean. And it's a US island. 60% national park, some of the best and most beautiful beaches in the world, towns with restaurants and night life, never got hassled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT