ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cleon Jones

RU Husky

All Conference
Sep 26, 2011
He appears in a documentary titled “Descendants “ which is showing on Netflix. It is about the discovery of the Clotilda, the last slave ship to enter US waters in 1860 ( long after the legal end of the slave trade),which was set afire and sunk in the the waters near Mobile,Alabama. Cleon is seen wearing a Mets cap early in the film and is heard from near the end of this excellent documentary. Interesting interaction between the direct descendants of the slaves who were brought to Alabama on that ship and the captain who commanded the ship and the non participation by the descendants of the family actually responsible for the voyage. Cleon is clearly actively involved in the local community and the desire to get this story told.

Edit- my apologies but I am unable to correct the title of this thread . Obviously it should read Cleon Jones but autocorrect took over.

Re-edit. Fixed

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up. Big Cleon Jones fan back in the day. I still have this card too

OIP.r5X0zRQ7UVTR7rhrLLuZFwHaKX

Known is Jonesy to all his teammates and coaches.
Hit 340 in 1969….I remember when I was 12 years old hitting off the “Iron Mike” in spring training, he told me to forget pulling the ball and hit it to right field in batting practice if you want to learn how to hit.
He and Agee were best friends….really cool guys in the eyes of a little kid.

Last edited:
Known is Jonesy to all his teammates and coaches.
Hit 340 in 1969….I remember when I was 12 years old hitting off the “Iron Mike” in spring training, he told me to forget pulling the ball and hit it to right field in batting practice if you want to learn how to hit.
He and Agee were best friends….really cool guys in the eyes of a little kid.

that must have been pretty cool.

... he told me to forget pulling the ball and hit it to right field in batting practice if you want to learn how to hit.
And you didn't listen?

(just, what I hope is, a funny jibe from a never-been to an old pro whose stories and anecdotes we love on this board)

Loved Cleon as a kid. I remember being upset when he got arrested in a van with a woman. Weird what things affect you when you’re young.

Reactions: newell138
At one point, he was the only position player in the National league who did.
Zappa, RUforJersey or anyone…Cleon was a natural lefty batter. He purposely changed to be a righty when he was young. Do you know why?

He appears in a documentary titled “Descendants “ which is showing on Netflix. It is about the discovery of the Clotilda, the last slave ship to enter US waters in 1860 ( long after the legal end of the slave trade),which was set afire and sunk in the the waters near Mobile,Alabama. Cleon is seen wearing a Mets cap early in the film and is heard from near the end of this excellent documentary. Interesting interaction between the direct descendants of the slaves who were brought to Alabama on that ship and the captain who commanded the ship and the non participation by the descendants of the family actually responsible for the voyage. Cleon is clearly actively involved in the local community and the desire to get this story told.

Edit- my apologies but I am unable to correct the title of this thread . Obviously it should read Cleon Jones but autocorrect took over.

Re-edit. Fixed
My favorite Met! Bats R, throws L

Reactions: Scarlet83
Zappa, RUforJersey or anyone…Cleon was a natural lefty batter. He purposely changed to be a righty when he was young. Do you know why?
Maybe the same reason my dad who’s a natural righty, switched to lefty…because the right field fence was short at the local park?

Maybe the same reason my dad who’s a natural righty, switched to lefty…because the right field fence was short at the local park?
So Close!! Lindsey Nelson used to tell the story that there was a pond in right field and they were losing too many baseballs, so Cleon switched to a righty!

So cool that your Dad and Cleon had that in common.

Hope your Dad’s local park field still exists and is the same as when he played on it!

Reactions: zappaa
Not quite like Zappa’s story, but as an 8 year old, my first game ever, it meant the world of me when I yelled Cleon!!! and he waived back to me!!! A major league player acknowledged me. Forever grateful!

1970. HOFer Fergie Jenkins out dueled Gary Gentry. Life long love of Baseball.

Every pair of spikes (not cleats) in those days we’re made of Kangaroo leather.
They were meticulously sharpened and shined every single day by the batboys and clubhouse men.

Wasn't shoe polish also used to show when a ptich did hit your foot?
Show the ump the ball with a shoe polish spot as evidence?

Not quite like Zappa’s story, but as an 8 year old, my first game ever, it meant the world of me when I yelled Cleon!!! and he waived back to me!!! A major league player acknowledged me. Forever grateful!

1970. HOFer Fergie Jenkins out dueled Gary Gentry. Life long love of Baseball.
I can still remember the smile Felix Millan gave me when he signed an autographed picture of himself at the Monmouth Mall as a little kid.

It’s why I always make it point to wave an acknowledge the little ones when at work.

I can still remember the smile Felix Millan gave me when he signed an autographed picture of himself at the Monmouth Mall as a little kid.

It’s why I always make it point to wave an acknowledge the little ones when at work.
Number 16 and 17 was one of the nicest, soft spoken athletes I’ve ever met.
Trying to imitate his choking up batting style as a kid was dangerous for your hands…lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT