ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sept.20,1973-A Miracle,a Farce,and a Tragedy

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
It was quite a day 50 years ago.

The miracle was The Ball On The Wall,a ball hit by the Pirates' Dan Augustine in the top of the 13th inning at Shea Stadium that hit the top of the wall in left field and, instead of following the laws of physics and continuing on its path,it came back into play allowing Cleon Jones to nail Parsippany's Richie Zisk at home.The Mets went on to win the game and the pennant.
The farce was the ballyhooed tennis match between Billie Jean King and hustler Bobby Riggs.Enough said about that one.
The tragedy was the airplane crash death of Jim Croce,whose "Time In A Bottle" became a posthumous No.1 song several months later.

I was around, but didn't really remember that all those happened at once. I stayed up and watched the tennis match.

Sad to see Jim Croce go. My favorite of his is "I got a name."

I watched a video replay of that tennis match recently and WOW was that some low quality tennis

The miracle was The Ball On The Wall,a ball hit by the Pirates' Dan Augustine in the top of the 13th inning at Shea Stadium that hit the top of the wall in left field and, instead of following the laws of physics and continuing on its path,it came back into play allowing Cleon Jones to nail Parsippany's Richie Zisk at home.The Mets went on to win the game and the pennant.
The farce was the ballyhooed tennis match between Billie Jean King and hustler Bobby Riggs.Enough said about that one.
The tragedy was the airplane crash death of Jim Croce,whose "Time In A Bottle" became a posthumous No.1 song several months later.
I saw him at the Philly Folk Festival the year before. He was a greatness songwriter and talent, and his accompanying guitarist Maury was also quite talented with his acoustic leads (think Operator.)

Trivia question: Billie Jean’s brother was a Major League Baseball player. Without looking up her maiden name can you name him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT